• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How are you finding KH3 difficulty?

• Easy

Votes: 546 62.8%
  • Just Right

Votes: 302 34.8%
  • Hard

Votes: 21 2.4%

• Total voters

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Proud mode is fine for a first play through, just right.
They should add a new difficulty though

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
The funny part for me is that I never saw Mickey on any of my runs, I learned about that while browsing years later, reactions commands are too easy to exploit. Do attractions make Sora invulnerable? I feel those are too common and way powerful not using the full MP bar as they should, so many times on the series I never knew if I should summon or whatever for the fear of not being able to use Cure.

They do.
They're the only thing that needs tweaking. They should work like FF XV summons

Right now you get a Nuke for looking at an enemy

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe hinder yourself from gaining experience for a world or two? I'm on Proud Mode and it feels just right for me.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the argument game needs to be easy for certain gamers when there is a difficulty toggle.

They can opt to play Easy/Beginner.

Speedlynx

Nov 22, 2017
Yeah I'm a little disappointed with the difficulty. I feel like it would be better if situation commands were available way less often. The disney rides are obnoxious.

Also I'm not understanding the defense that kingdom hearts is a kids game.

Like... kids waited over 14ish years for a sequel to KH2? Kids owned every system to play KH on a variety of consoles? Kids follow this super convoluted story?

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I don't get the argument game needs to be easy for certain gamers when there is a difficulty toggle.

They can opt to play Easy/Beginner.
That's an idoitic argument and the reason why there are multiple difficulties to cater to each group of people. Issue with this game is that the hard mode doesn't feel hard at all.

Having players to force hindering themselves from using available combat mechanics means that the balance is bad.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's pretty disappointing so far on proud. I don't need it to be crazy hard but I do need it to be more than enemies dying because I sneezed on them. Give me the option to turn attractions off on the menu. They're easy to use by accident if you are trying to change forms but didn't notice the attraction popped up. So just let me turn them off completely.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Proud mode has been good so far.

No critical mode is a glaring omission, though, and I'm not thinking it's going to be added for a long time...

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
"The game is for kids" isn't a great argument because we're taking about Proud more here. The point of different difficulty levels should be to target different audiences. Let normal mode be for beginners. The harder modes should be for experienced players.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
KH1 and KH2 were way harder on proud mode, I just played through them again, this time not on critical so I could just get through even quicker. I have no idea why KH 3 is so damn easy on proud, almost done and have 0 deaths.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
I beat KH2 last boss with the winnie the pooh key accidentally equiped after years of not playing it.

Kh1 was good tho, lots of good bosses, both optional and not.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
"The game is for kids" isn't a great argument because we're taking about Proud more here. The point of different difficulty levels should be to target different audiences. Let normal mode be for beginners. The harder modes should be for experienced players.

Also KH 1 and KH 2 were wayyyy harder, no reason the difficulty should be so low now.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
What's with JRPG these days treating players like babies? Decades of experience with video games and they still don't fucking get it?

People like winning, ACTUALLY winning, they don't need you to pat on their head and goes ''you win! you are the best!''.
Let people enjoy the thrill of winning and potentially losing. Don't fucking water out your gameplay.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I played on the hardest difficulty and after the first couple of hours once I'd unlocked some new abilities the game was a stroll in the park.

As someone who thought Spidey was easy on its hardest difficulty, I never felt like I was capable of playing it without paying attention. Easy (once you master controls) is one thing, not requiring any effort is another.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
What's with JRPG these days treating players like babies? Decades of experience with video games and they still don't fucking get it?

People like winning, ACTUALLY winning, they don't need you to pat on their head and goes ''you win! you are the best!''.
Let people enjoy the thrill of winning and potentially losing. Don't fucking water out your gameplay.
JRPGs were never particularly hard historically. EXP means they can be gamed without skill just brute force.

It's why a lot of hardcore JRPG running circles do artificial difficulty--Nuzlockes, LV1 runs and so on.

Print_Dog

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was just me. I'm on proud and going into worlds around 8 levels under the recommended level. Only death has been because of stunlock. Keyblade transformations are super OP.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who thought Spidey was easy on its hardest difficulty, I never felt like I was capable of playing it without paying attention. Easy (once you master controls) is one thing, not requiring any effort is another.
I guess my issue was after getting to grips with dodging and countering I only used Spidey's other gadgets as a way of breaking the monotony - I never felt forced to use his entire arsenal.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing on proud mode and even the little enemies hit pretty hard. I'm on my 3rd world and I've died 2 times so far. I do think the game gives you a lot of powerful tools quite early but I like it, and it make sense this late into Sora's journey. He's relearning his power, not gaining them for the first time. In any case, it's probably too early to tell.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
I thought so too for a time, but after the Toy Story world, I think I'll give a bit more leeway to the difficulty; at least for the moment. If the game wants to beat you down, it definitely can.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I felt the same. Proud mode is not hard enough from my experience thus far. Then again, aside from attraction abilities, I use most of my resources including food. Those food provide so much benefits for christ's sake, perhaps too much. I felt like the balancing is off really. I said it before, but they start you off with too much abilities. Couple with things like focus, all the fancy and powerful triangle attacks, flowmotion, food and so on, it's quite a breeze. Plus Sora is much more agile now, don't even need to stand still to cast spells. Did came close to dying once, as I completely forgot to restock potion.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess my issue was after getting to grips with dodging and countering I only used Spidey's other gadgets as a way of breaking the monotony - I never felt forced to use his entire arsenal.

That was definitely an issue, but at least the basic combat loop of attacking and dodging required some level of awareness. I feel the opposite here.

Darkpyro2

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm finding it to be absurdly easy on Proud as someone who still struggles with the higher difficulties in KH1 and KH2. The game is ABSOLUTELY a joke. I've only just hit Toy STory, but the only time that I've died so far is to a Gummy Ship boss that I challenged a bit too early. Like, god damn.

I remember struggling to beat Birth By Sleep on Proud two or three years ago. What the hell happened?

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
The lack of context this game has is pretty significant, in a series with rarely context they managed to bring it down even further. It's my only complaint at the moment, but just all these random abilities you get have absolutely no bearing or context in the overall world or pacing of the game. Why can I summon Disneyland rides? Did I miss one of the games that allowed this? I'm just given Keyblades randomly and they have magical powers that change them? It seems so superfluous and random at times.

I still am loving the game, but that is truly a big part of whats bumming me out about it. Also the fact that turning into a big ship was real neat the first time, but then it just gets incredibly old fast.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It is weird how different they approached the difficulty in this one. I didn't put the game on Proud because that difficulty setting was a bit too tough for my liking in the past KH games. Just going through Standard now but I have still died on occasion. That said, I don't play this series for the difficultly, so none of this is detrimental to my enjoyment.

Oct 27, 2017
Geez I'm glad I saw this thread—I'm about to start the game tonight and usually I play through normal first. Definitely doing Proud mode now. Hopefully they patch in a harder difficulty in the future

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
The lack of context this game has is pretty significant, in a series with rarely context they managed to bring it down even further. It's my only complaint at the moment, but just all these random abilities you get have absolutely no bearing or context in the overall world or pacing of the game. Why can I summon Disneyland rides? Did I miss one of the games that allowed this? I'm just given Keyblades randomly and they have magical powers that change them? It seems so superfluous and random at times.

I still am loving the game, but that is truly a big part of whats bumming me out about it. Also the fact that turning into a big ship was real neat the first time, but then it just gets incredibly old fast.

Totally agree. There are other abilities you obtain later that offer no context either. This stuff is just here to be here. I really wish they worked it all in for more cohesive world building.

Ecks

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I've not found the game hard, but, I'm trying to remember what universe Kingdom Hearts 2 was hard like people here seem to be convinced? I remember Birth By Sleep being the first time the series got challenging at all. 2, on any difficulty including Critical (with exception to maybe two fights), was still just a button mash to win. 1 you were fighting the camera more than the enemies.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely surprising to me how frequently attractions pop up and how strong they are.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
One example of *thoughtless* easiness in this game: summon spells use up all of your MP (just like cure spells), they fully heal your entire party no matter where they are, AND they do a bunch of damage to enemies. The only "cost" is greater time spent.

If you don't mind dealing with the annoying animations, as far as I can tell there is no reason not to always use summons instead of cure spells literally every single time.
Yeah, I definitely think going Main Street Electrical Parade every fight is a bit too much.
It sort of reminds me of Dream Drop Distance, in the sense that there are a bunch of *parallel* systems in the game that don't really interlock with each other properly.

I want a version of this battle system that does away with Keyblade transformations and Attraction Flow and instead gives you a much wider variety of finishers and Command Styles that are closer to the BBS ones (so like a full complement of elemental ones, for example). Let me dial fira-fira-air finisher to unlock Fire Raid, for example.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I keep howling at Donald and Goofy admitting they can't run up walls, but nevertheless, they never fail to appear behind Sora after he climbs one.

What the fuck is this lmfao. That I still love it is a testament to how much I love the characters.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Keyblade transformation is something we know advanced keyblade wielders can pull off
SourBlackIvorygull-size_restricted.gif

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Havent played yet but difficulty is a hard thing to create,

Spiderman is often used as an example as an easy game and a hard game and they had to add an easier mode and a harder mode lol. I feel for developers. That said, I think artificially making the game harder on your first playthrough is a no no. Same with using an exploit to make it easier. Beat the game and then assess it afterwards.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Just throwing this out there, but does anyone think that the two choices you make in the beginning of the game could effect the way we're all perceiving the difficulty? I know very little about the choices and the changes they make, but I feel like I picked a glass cannon build because enemies can do a crap ton of damage to me even on Standard. Some people in this topic make it sound like there's no chance of death at all. I chose Magic (mystic?), then warrior for example.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
One example of *thoughtless* easiness in this game: summon spells use up all of your MP (just like cure spells), they fully heal your entire party no matter where they are, AND they do a bunch of damage to enemies. The only "cost" is greater time spent.

If you don't mind dealing with the annoying animations, as far as I can tell there is no reason not to always use summons instead of cure spells literally every single time.
It sort of reminds me of Dream Drop Distance, in the sense that there are a bunch of *parallel* systems in the game that don't really interlock with each other properly.

I want a version of this battle system that does away with Keyblade transformations and Attraction Flow and instead gives you a much wider variety of finishers and Command Styles that are closer to the BBS ones (so like a full complement of elemental ones, for example). Let me dial fira-fira-air finisher to unlock Fire Raid, for example.

There's a weird mechanic. I never realized they heal you up too. Pretty over powered!

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Just throwing this out there, but does anyone think that the two choices you make in the beginning of the game could effect the way we're all perceiving the difficulty? I know very little about the choices and the changes they make, but I feel like I picked a glass cannon build because enemies can do a crap ton of damage to me even on Standard. Some people in this topic make it sound like there's no chance of death at all. I chose Magic (mystic?), then warrior for example.
those choices just give negligible bonus to some stat, nothing that radically changes the difficulty of the game.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
None of the Kingdom Hearts games have been hard after KH1. People misremember the difficulties of KH2 and BBS because they lump post-game and the Final Mix superbosses in with the story bosses. That said it gets a little better after the third world.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Now that you mention it, you're absolutely right actually. I just finished the game and maybe the AI controlled characters got KO'd a handful of times total, and that includes the last few boss battles which are equally BS in design as the usual stuff. There's no way Donald and Goofy would have survived that in the previous games and here the AI saved me countless times.

Thought so.
Had to answer the Phone mid combat and watched them basically fight alone against like 20 enemies or something like that and they simply destroyed them.

Especially Donald was dead every single time in the older games while he is a beast in this one most of the time.
The AI controlled characters aren't dead weight this time which changes a lot in this type of game especially with the shared focus from the enemies.

Also what helps is how good the controls are.
The game is quick and reactive which at least for me is a huge upgrade over the previous games.

None of the older games would be considered hard if we had similar good AI controlled Partners and these fluid controls + interactions with the environment etc
KH2 was already far easier because it was a huge upgrade over the first game.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Despite wanting to play KH3 incredibly badly, and waiting so long for it, I'm kinda glad I decided to wait on playing it, for various reasons.

This seems like something that'll get resolved in the future, just like with KH2. I don't think they'll do a final mix release, probably a final mix DLC.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Keyblade transformation is something we know advanced keyblade wielders can pull off
SourBlackIvorygull-size_restricted.gif

That was only ever depicted as one thing (a means of transportation).

They never did this in combat lol. Never before KH3 could Keyblades transform into yo-yos and whatever the hell the user feels like. It's a neat mechanic, but it definitely pops up from out of nowhere.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I've not found the game hard, but, I'm trying to remember what universe Kingdom Hearts 2 was hard like people here seem to be convinced? I remember Birth By Sleep being the first time the series got challenging at all. 2, on any difficulty including Critical (with exception to maybe two fights), was still just a button mash to win. 1 you were fighting the camera more than the enemies.
It was never hard. BBS and DDD are the only hard KH games.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
That was only ever depicted as one thing (a means of transportation).

They never did this in combat lol. Never before KH3 could Keyblades transform into yo-yos and whatever the hell the user feels like. It's a neat mechanic, but it definitely pops up from out of nowhere.
In a game where you can double jump and glide in the air, I think keyblade transformations make more sense TBH.