• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom Hearts has always had pretty poorly paced cutscenes, I'm just surprised that it continued on in this gen. I have no problem with the game but sometimes it feels like not much as changed in regards to some of the minutiae of the game. Although I guess cutscenes aren't that small of an aspect though, huh?

It has been two years since I replayed Kh1 and 2 though, but I recently played some of DDD and I recall it being the same.
DDD has rubbish cutscenes, but again, it's the same guy.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Yes, you're all very clever.

Different stories, different tones, different storytelling, different audiences. I'm sorry you can't enjoy what others do.
So what's the audience? Because I enjoy Disney films just fine, and it sure as hell doesn't appease that. Half the worlds are just badly chopped-up recreations of the movies themselves, like self-insert fan-fiction. But the best scenes are clearly the ones that are direct rips from the movies themselves with no intervention of Sora+crew. Basically every other scene has no grasp on how dialogue flows, pacing, emotional highs or lows, or even decent editing.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Never finished Persona 4: Dancing All Night because instead of playing a rhythm based video game, you spend HOURS trying to get through the text. It's this, but video games:

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's what I wonder. Surely normal Japanese people don't like that in Japanese, right? Japanese speech patterns are different to English, but the way Japanese characters talk strikes me as more of a convention. Like they're mimicking how anime characters talk, and those characters are in turn mimicking something else. I've seen a fair bit of Japanese spoken in real life, and nobody I've ever met talks like these videogame characters do.

The excruciatingly long pauses, or even long stretches of nodding, closing eyes and opening them again, and making gasping or grunting sounds. Do Japanese women really close their eyes and whisper some dude's name at nobody in particular while clutching their hands together? Do they halt mid conversation, pause for 2 seconds, nod, and then pause another 2 seconds, and then keep talking? Who does that?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
So what's the audience? Because I enjoy Disney films just fine, and it sure as hell doesn't appease that. Half the worlds are just badly chopped-up recreations of the movies themselves, like self-insert fan-fiction. But the best scenes are clearly the ones that are direct rips from the movies themselves with no intervention of Sora+crew. Basically every other scene has no grasp on how dialogue flows, pacing, emotional highs or lows, or even decent editing.
Just being a fan of Disney films doesn't necessarily mean that the game is going to be for you. The Disney films are a backdrop and events from them are frequently recreated to varying degrees of faithfulness. Ever since the very beginning, the series has been like this; original characters visiting Disney worlds and getting wrapped up in events while they're visiting due to whatever plot-related event or motivation brought them there. If that's not your thing, fine. It doesn't have to be. And the writing certainly isn't perfect. But it's entertaining and has had a consistent voice for the better part of two decades now.

So if you're not on board with it, cool. But I'd rather play through a Kingdom Hearts game than sit through the too-long opening of Persona 4 again. And I like Persona 4.

Oct 25, 2017
The weird part is the disconnect between how the cutscenes are in the disney stuff... like for example tangled, in which the dialogue feels ripped from the movies almost with similar cutscene directions... but once the anime characters start talking with the anime characters... it feels like anime.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Just being a fan of Disney films doesn't necessarily mean that the game is going to be for you. The Disney films are a backdrop and events from them are frequently recreated to varying degrees of faithfulness. Ever since the very beginning, the series has been like this; original characters visiting Disney worlds and getting wrapped up in events while they're visiting due to whatever plot-related event or motivation brought them there. If that's not your thing, fine. It doesn't have to be. And the writing certainly isn't perfect. But it's entertaining and has had a consistent voice for the better part of two decades now.

So if you're not on board with it, cool. But I'd rather play through a Kingdom Hearts game than sit through the too-long opening of Persona 4 again. And I like Persona 4.
It is literally the pitch for this entire series' existence. They didn't get the Disney license on a whim. They lovingly recreate entire scenes from the movies whole cloth within their engine. If Disney wasn't a key selling point of this franchise, which Disney worlds would get included wouldn't be the headline grabbing everyone's attention in the lead-up.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It is literally the pitch for this entire series' existence. They didn't get the Disney license on a whim.
No, the (literal) elevator pitch was "Final Fantasy/Disney crossover."

The series evolved in a direction that reduced (sometimes eliminated) the Final Fantasy aspect as the narrative and history of the original characters and world has become more involved.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My brother likes to tell this story about the time he went over to someone's house for a neighborhood birthday party, and this boy playing Kingdom Hearts II got so bored/frustrated during a particularly long cutscene that he bit a chunk out of the dualshock.

TBH I've thought about doing it during some of the KH3 cutscenes.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
KH2 had 14 hours of cutscenes. its nothing new.

Have people ever played KH before? Maybe its that the old school format doesnt work in this era for people not used to it

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Here's what I wonder. Surely normal Japanese people don't like that in Japanese, right? Japanese speech patterns are different to English, but the way Japanese characters talk strikes me as more of a convention. Like they're mimicking how anime characters talk, and those characters are in turn mimicking something else. I've seen a fair bit of Japanese spoken in real life, and nobody I've ever met talks like these videogame characters do.

The excruciatingly long pauses, or even long stretches of nodding, closing eyes and opening them again, and making gasping or grunting sounds. Do Japanese women really close their eyes and whisper some dude's name at nobody in particular while clutching their hands together? Do they halt mid conversation, pause for 2 seconds, nod, and then pause another 2 seconds, and then keep talking? Who does that?

That's how a lot of Japanese fiction works though.
No, of course nobody in real life talks like that, but it's super common in JP entertainment, even in live action TV dramas.

CarbonKamel

Jan 6, 2019
Are you guys like new to kh? If you've played any of the other games this isn't exactly breaking news. Yeah it's kinda janky when compared back to back with red dead or something but if you're playing kh3 you this stuff should really be the norm by now

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Persona 5 is 3 times as long as KH3, so it has more and much longer cutscenes by default.

But I actually enjoyed them and the game knows when to back off and let you play.

KH3 on the other hand had so many unnecessary fucking cutscenes. A lot of it could've played out when you're exploring the world.

There are literally parts where you walk 5 feet inbetween cutscenes, it's maddening.

Clocian

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 23, 2018
It's the conclusion of a story heavy series, what did everyone expect? People said this with MGS4 too. It's not a problem at all imo

rottenpie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
This is nothing new, that's KH for you

And actually... the game needed more cutscenes imo, lol

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
That's not even the worst one or example. The end of the game is probably the biggest slog I have ever played between cut scene and gameplay and I am talking as someone who has played all 3 xenosagas.

Kingdom hearts 1&2 were not nearly as badly edited or paced

The director for the scenes in the original kingdom hearts did an amazing job so I have no idea what happened here

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Pacing is the problem, and being horribly edited is another.

The localised lines are also pretty shit.

again, that's nothing new for KH depending on the person, and pacing being an issue also goes back to the fact that cutscenes would always start after segmented loading zones..that's how the limitations of the technology allowed people to not recall such things

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Yea I generally don't play JRPGs for this exact reason (too much banter....like every feeling and thought is spelt and acted out) so once I got to Twilight Town I had had enuff and just started skipping errything, then I started watching them again in Toy Town and was curious what I had missed out on and found the Story option in the Gummiphone and was able to do a quick catch up of the events, after reading what had happened I was so glad I skipped that shit. I highly recommend using this feature if you can't deal with these long winded cutscenes (no doubt I will be using it again).

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
again, that's nothing new for KH depending on the person, and pacing being an issue also goes back to the fact that cutscenes would always start after segmented loading zones..that's how the limitations of the technology allowed people to not recall such things
I dont get what you're saying. That it's ok for Kingdom Hearts 3 to have this problem because the previous games did too?

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Not your kind of video game then. Me, i love it a lot just like i love Metal gear games and Yakuza games.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Not your kind of video game then. Me, i love it a lot just like i love Metal gear games and Yakuza games.

The big difference here is they have a much better direction and more engaging cut scene style. In kingdom hearts three they feel really generic compared to what the last two main line games were

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Hearts cutscenes are more clustered then they are too frequent. You have them during Disney Worlds obviously but I don't remember all of them lasting a noticeably long time before I was back to playing the game.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This game needed better cutscenes to be honest. It's pretty piss poor compared to the cutscenes for the original characters from the previous game.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
In the last few hours of the game, the cutscenes went on for so long that the Xbox screen dimmed twice during one single set of cutscenes. I don't mind long cutscenes. I love them dearly. I enjoyed the cutscenes though, no matter how bad the dialoge was, or how silly the convoluted story gets, I enjoy watching them. They are a blast, and I was super into the end game cutscenes, even when I was lost at times.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's pretty cute so far but I'm only a few hours in. I did notice the lip sync at some points was a little rough but it didn't bother me too much.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

Oh no no no, wash your mouth out with soap. The talent that goes into the production of a long Yakuza cutscene isn't even comparable to the dreadful cutscene direction of Kingdom Hearts. The people who make Yakuza are genuinely excellent storytellers, directors, writers, with a wonderful grasp of characterization and incredible ability to ratcheting up tension in what is ostensibly just a scene of some guys talking around a table; they're some of the best in the entire medium.

Kingdom Hearts, where a character will use the word "heart" five times in a single tortured sentence while standing lifelessly in an empty room, set to a soundtrack of dead silence, doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017

Have people ever played KH before? Maybe its that the old school format doesnt work in this era for people not used to it
Yeah, I actually didn't mind the cutscenes; I actually liked them

KH2 had a lot more to do and more end game stuff. We really need a lot more secret bosses, critical mode and a few extra worlds.

Village

Oct 25, 2017

That might legitimately be the case

There are a bunch of people who might be going in KH fresh, and its cutscene and writing structure in many ways is antiquated

Oct 25, 2017
Oh no no no, wash your mouth out with soap. The talent that goes into the production of a long Yakuza cutscene isn't even comparable to the dreadful cutscene direction of Kingdom Hearts. The people who make Yakuza are genuinely excellent storytellers, directors, writers, with a wonderful grasp of characterization and incredible ability to ratcheting up tension in what is ostensibly just a scene of some guys talking around a table; they're some of the best in the entire medium.

Kingdom Hearts, where a character will use the word "heart" five times in a single tortured sentence while standing lifelessly in an empty room, set to a soundtrack of dead silence, doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath.

As someone who likes both series, this is ridiculous hyperbole. There are plenty of amazingly well executed cutscenes In Kingdom Hearts 3 with strong direction and music really elevating them. Especially during the final section of the game.

OP
OP
Dark_Castle

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I've only played Yakuza 0, and in that game, I was thoroughly gripped with the story and what's happening in the cutscenes. They're often genuinely hilarious as well, but when things are serious, I get invested. It's not just a matter of how much cutscenes there are, but how engaging the cutscenes are. I know Kingdom Hearts fans love the Kingdom Hearts cutscenes, but I find them utterly boring and nonsensical most of the time. Now compounded with the fact that they happen so frequently and have these awkward pauses that slow shit down even more, it's terrible.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I love Yakuza, and while the MAJOR, climactic cutscenes are absolutely fantastic, there's also just as much oddly-paced goofy weird shit in the side content and the filler story arcs as you might find in KH.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I mostly play jrpgs, Kingdom hearts included of course, since story is the most important factor in video to me so I have to disagree. MGS4 is my favorite game in that series as well because I love how long the cutscenes were and how much got told. The combat/gameplay of KH3 is the best and flashiest of the series but I agree with some of the other posters in that hopefully they add more cutscenes in an eventual final mix version as there were various times that could have used them.

Had no issues with the lengths of KH3's cutscenes or the pacing/tone of them.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
The cutscenes would be so much better if they didn't have to recap to the casuals. The amount of hand holding is ridiculous.

There's one specific cutscene that I love
When Sora made his grand entrance to save Riku from Demon Tower.
Wanna know why I love this scene? Goofy and Mickey aren't there to ruin it by trying to explain what is going on. They just let it play out, and it's great fun.