• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

philm87

Jan 9, 2018
also just picking up simple stuff is a pain on console..
Like in the first room, where you can take the food from the table. You need to be very precise to pick up an apple, and you have to be placed right. Had to move around the table all the time, just to pick up 5 fucking apples.. lol
And it is even worse when you are looking for a container to open, sometimes the prompt "Press X to open" does not appear. You have to kneel or move around the object to find the right angle, so that the prompt appears..

Doesn't sound any worse than Skyrim.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Played about 4 hours last night. Was expecting a lot more Jank; so far it has been a really smooth ride (beside some minor visual/scripting glitches).

The story is really great, also the recreation of medieval lifestyle/castles is really well done. Especially the interior of the second castle, there is a lot of detail and it definitely seems like warhorse went above and beyond of what I expected.

Will probably take a day off work on Friday to really dwelve into it, too bad it released around Valentines, in a bit of a dog house at home because of this game.

philm87

Jan 9, 2018
maybe.. but it is still annoying when you are trying to pick up a simple thing in the environment, and you have to fiddle around for minutes. Just because it is bad in one game, does not make it better..

Very true, think I can live with it though. Skyrim VR is probably even trickier. I remember people struggling with picking up things in the Witcher 3 when it was released, they did patch that though.

The Cellar Letters

lmayo
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still early on in the game but I'm really digging the sword combat so far.
Also, the lighting in this game is incredible. Night actually looks like night.

philm87

Jan 9, 2018
I'm still early on in the game but I'm really digging the sword combat so far.
Also, the lighting in this game is incredible. Night actually looks like night.

Cool, that reminds me of the lighting setting on The Division. Discovered it after playing for ages, and it made the game look so much better so everywhere wasn't just lit up with ambient light.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
Played the first hour and a half last night. It has some jank, and I had to replay the initial part of the game :
the escape
due to not quite 'getting' the gallop controls. Despite all that, I am in love with the game. Can't wait to play a ton over the weekend.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Okay yeah, fully decided to hold off for a month or whatever until, hopefully, some bugs and general stuff is ironed out and balanced. See you ladies and gentlemen of the OT and have fun with the game until then.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
Without getting too deep into spoilers, is it easy the acquire the drink for saving? I'm only an hour or so in, and I've got the initial 3 you start with.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Without getting too deep into spoilers, is it easy the acquire the drink for saving? I'm only an hour or so in, and I've got the initial 3 you start with.

You can craft it pretty easy later on (which makes this even more of a weird design decision since it's only really punishing early on) but i would just do the mod if you are on pc and be done with it.

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
You can craft it pretty easy later on (which makes this even more of a weird design decision since it's only really punishing early on) but i would just do the mod if you are on pc and be done with it.

On Xbox right now.

I sort of like the save mechanic though. I like the idea that if I'm going to sit down, I'll need to commit some time. It means I will be more immersed and less distracted, although I'll have fewer play sessions in a week.

You can sleep whenever you want, right?

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hans keeps telling me to mount up. Did I miss out on something important by not taking a horse? He's the one who told me not to. Whenever I can avoid being dumb Henry, I try my best.

Also, walking around in the woods hunting rabbits has been the best part of the game.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
On Xbox right now.

I sort of like the save mechanic though. I like the idea that if I'm going to sit down, I'll need to commit some time. It means I will be more immersed and less distracted, although I'll have fewer play sessions in a week.

You can sleep whenever you want, right?
I don't mind it either. When I was trying to steal the armor to get past the guard it definitely added a bit of tension to the game.

Does anyone know how to get lock pics early on?

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
Another quick question: The preorder armor thing you get, when/how to you get access to it? Didn't redeem the code until after I started my save.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Did anybody go hunting with Hans? The game literally doesn't acknowledge the fact that you can choose to do it without a horse, so he yelled at me to mount up as he chased after a boar, and a few seconds later the game told me I failed at that objective, and now is going to punish me for it.

10 coins to wash my clothes. These peasants are trying to rob me.
You're a peasant.

bobnowhere

Oct 26, 2017
Elsewhere for 8 minutes
Hans keeps telling me to mount up. Did I miss out on something important by not taking a horse? He's the one who told me not to. Whenever I can avoid being dumb Henry, I try my best.

Also, walking around in the woods hunting rabbits has been the best part of the game.

He said that to me near the end of the hunt quest as well when I didn't have a horse, bug I assume. Don't worry about the horse,
you'll get one of your own at the end of the quest.

Oct 27, 2017
11069.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Another quick question: The preorder armor thing you get, when/how to you get access to it? Didn't redeem the code until after I started my save.
"Before you can access any of the DLC treasure maps, you need to progress through the story. You need to complete the quest "Homecoming" which is about two hours into the game. Once this quest is complete, you will wake up in the Rattay Mill. Here there is a trunk with your belongings inside. In this trunk you will find the DLC maps."

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
[...]Someone let us know if putting it on an SSD reduces the loading segments significantly enough to do it. Hopefully it does but it might have to do with processing dialogues/progression and shit in a manner rather than loading assets.
I'll answer my own question then. SSD makes it unquestionably faster to get through all the loading sections, including loading the assets after changing the settings. Long pauses still occur when choosing to speak to shop keepers or people that enable cinematic-style dialogues. It really breaks the flow of the game before you get into it but it's still it's a lot faster than when I had it on the HDD so I'd say it's worth it, put this one on your SSD people. it's not a very big game :o)

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
"Before you can access any of the DLC treasure maps, you need to progress through the story. You need to complete the quest "Homecoming" which is about two hours into the game. Once this quest is complete, you will wake up in the Rattay Mill. Here there is a trunk with your belongings inside. In this trunk you will find the DLC maps."

thanks!

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
So I ran into a armored Cuman on my way to do the nightingale quest. It was an ambush so I can either surrender or fight, but I decided to runaway since he was on right. I kited him to the nearest town. He blocked a swing from the night watchman and that killed the watchman lol. I stalled for a few mins till the other soldiers woke up. The cuman dropped his weapons and surrendered, before running away.

bshock

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Just got a bug on Xbox where while I'm pickpocketing (have no idea how this even works,) my inventory screen popped up and is now frozen with no way back to the game.

Both pickpocketing and lockpicking are absolutely horrendous in this game. I can only assume it's supposed to be that difficult until you get more experience in the skills or QA really dropped the ball in testing.

moonknight93

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
They should consider adding a prompt to eat stuff directly from the table, instead of picking up, opening the inventory and then eat.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Why the hell doesn't this game have a quick save? I'm talking about the kind of quick save of which you go back to main menu after saving and when you load it, the save file "deleted" itself. You know, like in strategy games.

Like I said yesterday, the game even implies that this is in the game, the save tutorial literally says the game saves when you sleep, after quests or if you quit the game, but you just can't for some reason.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, make sure your weapons are in good shape before taking on armored opponents. You will literally do 0 damage a swing with a weapon that is too low.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game looks good enough, but there's nothing spectacular here, and I don't see why the game is such a resource hog. As far as CryEngine games are concerned, I think Crysis 3 looks better than this.

philm87

Jan 9, 2018
The game looks good enough, but there's nothing spectacular here, and I don't see why the game is such a resource hog. As far as CryEngine games are concerned, I think Crysis 3 looks better than this.

I think there's a lot of processing going on in the background with NPCs from what I've heard. It's only a relatively small studio as well isn't it? Probably not able to optimize it as well.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a shitty 970 and it runs well enough. People are just picky imo.

I can name quite a few open world games that look better than this game does, and they all run much better. It's not really being picky. It's just simple observation.

I'm getting about 25 FPS at 3440x1440 on a GTX 1080 on Ultra - the game just isn't well optimized.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can name quite a few open world games that look better than this game does, and they all run much better. It's not really being picky. It's just simple observation.

I'm getting about 25 FPS at 3440x1440 on a GTX 1080 on Ultra - the game just isn't well optimized.

I mean, yes and no imo. The character models and some textures are unremarkable, but this game's foliage is top-tier. I can't think of any game, Crysis 3 included, with such dense and richly designed woods.

Oct 27, 2017

Are you talking about big bloated budget AAA studio games or small team AA limited budget studio games?

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017

Alternatively, in the short while I've played, this is one of the best looking games I've ever seen. And it's open world!

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Game froze during loading screen and I haven't any schnaps. I did a fuck ton of shit during the day and haven't slept yet.

Not having unlimited saves really has crippled this game. Gonna need that mod asap.

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said yesterday, the game even implies that this is in the game, the save tutorial literally says the game saves when you sleep, after quests or if you quit the game, but you just can't for some reason.
Someone mentioned that they were having a few technical issues with Save and Quit, so they're fixing them up at the moment and it'll be back with the next patch.