• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
The absolute biggest problem with this game is the incessant loading screens, sometimes 30-45 seconds just to INITIATE dialogue. Has anyone found a fix for this?

This can be circumvented with a very easy to install mod that gives you the ability to save without schnapps

Game hung first time I talked to a trader and hard crashed, I've played a dozen hours since and not a single problem. Usually doesn't take more than a couple of seconds for chat but even that feels wrong. Where are you in the game that it's taking that long?

Wait are you on PC or console?

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I haven't had any issues but I've only played an hour so we'll see. My biggest issue is the awful controller scheme having B/O as sprint.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Man, melee combat gets a lot move involved once you learn blocking/parrying/dodging and feints.

Hmm, are you sure about that because I'm certain I slept in the same bed a few times and the save game msg only appeared once or twice.

On beds, I thought you can sleep in any bed you find in the gaming world and it would save. Fancy having to go back to your home when needing to save.

Maybe you're right, for some reason when I slept on some mats the game didn't save before, but just tried it and it worked on a random bed.

Last edited:

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The absolute biggest problem with this game is the incessant loading screens, sometimes 30-45 seconds just to INITIATE dialogue. Has anyone found a fix for this?

This can be circumvented with a very easy to install mod that gives you the ability to save without schnapps

You can't install mods on console.. had to play on for an hour last night, because I was at a part where the game wouldn't let me save, and I encountered a fucking bug where I couldn't lose a fight I was supposed to lose. So I HATE the save system.. got 4 hours sleep instead of 6-7 last night.. lol

and yes the LOAD system is terrible.. it loads almost all the time when going into a conversation ...

OP
OP
Ilmyr

Ilmyr

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It got some time to play yesterday. I finished the prologue and it was a very good experience. I really like the voice actors in german and english (i tried both). Though german voices sometimes bug, where some dialogues are cut off too early... sure thats going to be fixed.
I did not notice any bugs as some of you have described it, but i also did not try anything special. I followed the quests on a direct approach. Didn't go mad and punch random people etc.
Not sure if that happens a lot, but some quest can be solved quite dynamically. For example retrieving the tools from Kunesh:

In my first attempt i fought Kunesh with my fists to retrieve the key and finish the quests. Then i did the other quests, but i had to go to dinner and quit the game (the game did NOT save, so i had to it again - no problem!).

I did not talk to Kunesh in the first place. I did the quest with your friends to throw dung on the Germans house. After that, they fled and eventually gathered near Kuneshs house (i totally missed that). So i went that to Kunesh and i tried to convince him to give the tools back without a fight (just normal talk). He basically refused, so the game wanted me to pick the lock of his chest. Therefor i had to get a lockpick from Fritz (one of the friends i guess). But instead of handing me a lockpick i could ask all the friends for a favor then (directly after finishing the dung quests). The friends followed me to Kunesh and started a fight, which is a lot easier than fighting him alone i guess. So i got the key, opened the chest and finished the quest.

Other games would have locked you on a particular approach to finish the quest or simply bug out. I really like it.

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else have difficulty controlling the horse with the KB/mouse? It's easy on a controller, but using A+D to steer, while having a pinky finger on capslock/shift for the speed boost is just really unwieldy to control. It seems you can't use auto-steer at full speed either, which means the bandits at the end of the first zone can easily catch up and kill you. I died about 3 times before giving up and switching to the controller.

Thank god this game has auto-input switch, because I don't think I'd even have been able to finish that chase scene without it.

philm87

Jan 9, 2018
You can't install mods on console.. had to play on for an hour last night, because I was at a part where the game wouldn't let me save, and I encountered a fucking bug where I couldn't lose a fight I was supposed to lose. So I HATE the save system.. got 4 hours sleep instead of 6-7 last night.. lol

and yes the LOAD system is terrible.. it loads almost all the time when going into a conversation ...

Rest mode?

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
First time I missed the run command and thought I was safe once out of the castle because video game. Went to the other bit of the village for a look around... Killed half way down the hill.

Second time RUN wrong way died to three dickheads.

Third time ran to horsey, bad men, no you don't, dead.

Fourth and fifth, same.

Sixth time Sorry love, grab horse, Gallop away, arrows coming, run out of stamina, forget controls, panic, die.

Around the ninth attempt I made it to the cutscene!

I am now, however well used to horse controls!

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I gave up. Its almost impossible on both consoles. I can't even finish the tutorial.
Wait, what's this I hear about lockpicking being hard/bad? Can't say about K/M but on a controller? Wat? I started the game yesterday and can pick any Very Hard lock on my first attempt even when the game says 'it's too hard', proof:

It's so easy that's it's almost a joke. Once you get the hang of it it becomes a second nature.

ask Bansai for tips, he is the lockpicking master

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
I had a strange situation with the getting back the tools thing. I beat up Kunesh but he ran away and didn't give me the key or anything. I passed on throwing the dung on the house but I watched them do it and followed them behind Kunesh's house. Asked the friend for the lockpicks, broke them all attempting to open it and with Kunesh gone I just said forget it and sold off some other stuff for the coal. I decided to talk to the friend again to see if maybe he had some more lockpics but lo and behold It gave me the 'I scratch your back you scratch mine' option even though I didn't help them with the poo slinging.

They started walking up to his house calling for Kunesh to come out and all the sudden he comes flying a hundred miles and hour from the other direction. lol Anyways we beat him up again and I get he key and tools even though I didn't really need them anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
ask Bansai for tips, he is the lockpicking master

PastSillyAmericanindianhorse-max-1mb.gif

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
Well, damn. I did not realize you can put in other items for sale so you can buy something else for a cheaper price .

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had a strange situation with the getting back the tools thing. I beat up Kunesh but he ran away and didn't give me the key or anything. I passed on throwing the dung on the house but I watched them do it and followed them behind Kunesh's house. Asked the friend for the lockpicks, broke them all attempting to open it and with Kunesh gone I just said forget it and sold off some other stuff for the coal. I decided to talk to the friend again to see if maybe he had some more lockpics but lo and behold It gave me the 'I scratch your back you scratch mine' option even though I didn't help them with the poo slinging.

They started walking up to his house calling for Kunesh to come out and all the sudden he comes flying a hundred miles and hour from the other direction. lol Anyways we beat him up again and I get he key and tools even though I didn't really need them anymore.

Tested the PC Version with a friend last night.

Same Quest.

He talked to Kunesh but he honestly didn't had the money. So he stole Kuneshs Ax and tried to find Fritz (one of Hernys poo slinging friends) for the lockpick. Fritz and friends wanted to sling poo so he went along with that. After running away from the law my frined tried to talk to Fritz about the lockpick. He couldn't talk to anyone of the group. He followed them around and tried a few times, no luck. So he sold a bunch of apples and onions to buy the coal for his father.

This buggy ass game.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
I can't lockpick for the life of me, not even on very easy. I broke my lockpick on the first try and now I have no money to buy another one.

Here I am. Stuck in the castle and I have to get some armor in order to leave the first castle. Please tell me there is another way.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of the writing is odd.

Like early on you're at a dinner with some lords and one of the lords keeps making fat jokes about a priest. But the priest is not fat. Just an odd drum to keep beating.

It feels very overwritten at times. Lots of repeating itself in the same scene. Like in the Inn with Bianca, Henry and Bianca make the same stupid sexual innuendo joke like 3 times in the same conversation.

I can't lockpick for the life of me, not even on very easy. I broke my lockpick on the first try and now I have no money to buy another one.

Here I am. Stuck in the castle and I have to get some armor in order to leave the first castle. Please tell me there is another way.

I got out by
getting caught while trying to lockpick. Getting arrested gets you thrown in jail and then they kick you out of town.

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe

There are multiple ways to leave the castle including finding armor outside of a chest, jumping off the bridge and escaping, or even getting thrown in jail and released outside.

hanmik

Verified
Oct 26, 2017

kill a guard and steal his clothes?
Wait until a guard sleeps and steal his clothes?
smash the trunk with a sword.?
I have no idea..

philm87

Jan 9, 2018
Same, that's the only one I've been able to do so far and it took a few attempts.

Is it mainly PC people are struggling with lockpicking on? Don't mind a little challenge, it's usually incredibly easy. I believe it becomes easier the more you do though as your lock picking skill rises?

Ryousuke

Oct 25, 2017
Man, archery is HARD. I'm on the [pretty early minor spoilers]

Hare hunting contest with Hans Capon

And it's really testing me. About 10am now and got four so far, hope I can win.

I had troubles during the training, but the first contest I nailed it with 13 points or something, while he finished with only 4points. I'm getting pretty good at it

Lockpicking is okay for me, pickpocketing on the other hand.. unless the tutorial is messed up with bugs.

EmptySpace

Oct 26, 2017
If you lower your mouse sensitivity a bunch the lock picking mining game is more manageable. I assume with a bit more skill it won't be too bad, but I also realize not everyone has a mouse that can drop sensitivity at the click of button. Something absolutely needs to be done about how hard it is right now.

Oct 27, 2017

kill a guard and steal his clothes?
Wait until a guard sleeps and steal his clothes?
smash the trunk with a sword.?
I have no idea..

There's a chest in the castle and it's unlocked. It's in one of the towers. Also, talk to the lady of the castle (Lady Stephanie).

hanmik

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Is it mainly PC people are struggling with lockpicking on? Don't mind a little challenge, it's usually incredibly easy. I believe it becomes easier the more you do though as your lock picking skill rises?

I am on PS4 Pro, and I suck at lockpicking.. maybe it is because I am old, and my hands don't work in sync anymore.. but I suck at it.

McPoo

Jan 25, 2018
UK

I think everyone is struggling with it tbh. I'm on Xbox and it's really difficult as you have to keep the pin in place while Henry's hands get progressively more shakey, and also move the lock around smoothly enough to ensure you can keep it in place.

I like that it's not your typical video game lockpick minigame, but it does seem like it's far too unforgiving.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Jump Off the Bridge and run for your life. That's what I did :D

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The lockpicking is probably easier on PC and it's still absurdly touchy.

It's going to get patched, pretty much nobody seems to like it.

Ohto

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People complaining about combat, you should try to train fighting, lots of peeps are saying that when you get more moves fights are easier. Makes sense, right? You are just a country boy after all, and seemingly a little goofy one. Try to lose the "fight everyone everytime"-mentality, I doubt it is going to work.

Lockpicking, I'd say that it has something to do with frame rates or some other technical hijinks. Some people do it like water (I guess they have PC with good fps), and some other are having shittiest of times. But is lockpicking even that necessary? I mean, every place people have been stuck in this thread have been cleared by others with some other means. I very much think that this game will reward creativity and willingness to go round instead of just following instructions.
(Not defending the lockpicking, it is a sorry thing if it really is all about fluidness of the game and not skill per se)

Fighting though, git gud (by playing the story until you get more techniques and skills to do them). It honestly seems like some people are inpatient and try to force the game instead of going wiht the flow.

And the save scumming, I know that many do that (I at least tend to save all the time) but this game is clearly not meant for that. They want you to suffer if you make wrong choices. It is a valid mechanic, imo. One should always keep the schnaps for sudden need for save. That's the reason they are in game. Also, saving when quitting, when it comes, should remove rest of the unnecessary complaints. I understand if you don't like the base mechanics and like to choose the best option always by realoading if you don't succeed, but this is a game that has different ambitions. Have some respect for it. It is like opinions, you can respect that people have different opinions even if you don't agree. Some of the "critique" has been way too aggressive imo.

I started thinking about guards randomly stopping you, do you have dirty/messed up clothes when they stop you? Or other ways suspicious? I think that someone said that people react to your clothing. Also one would think that if you have way better clothes than your status would imply it could be suspicious. But surely it isn't that fleshed out?

And I love the glitches like the dropkick-guard or the guy falling from the sky. They are always fun.

philm87

Jan 9, 2018
I started thinking about guards randomly stopping you, do you have dirty/messed up clothes when they stop you? Or other ways suspicious? I think that someone said that people react to your clothing. Also one would think that if you have way better clothes than your status would imply it could be suspicious. But surely it isn't that fleshed out?.

Yes they do. Particularly the first time they meet you. If you're covered in blood you're going to get stopped a lot also, and maybe thrown in jail, but this also intimidate other people. If you dress like a knight they treat you as such also. If you're dressed like a peasant it might look like you're poor and more likely to steal?

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Daily reminder that theres a TON of options to do things in this game and if you fuck up one, theres still other options and therez probably always one that can be done 100% of the time.
you dont need to lockpick anything even if that is an option (and lockpicking is not that hard, people are probably trying to do it slowly when it needs to be fast). Instead of thinking in a strict gameplay way like in other games, try to think lile in real life. Oh, lets ask the guard at the gate
Oh, he can be bribed. Of course you dont have enough money. Who is my best friend in the whole castle even if the mission is not mentioning her? The lady of the castle, of course. Oh, not only tells youa plan to dress as a soldier, but you can also ask for money to pay the gate soldier.
You dont need to steal anything.
And if anything here works, jist jum from the bridge, but you will get out without your horse

Like, the game is incredibly experimental and I think people are just trying to think of the typical gameplay stuff like stealing or fighting. Also theres usually an order, you are not going to get allthe options of a character before you maybe have done other things before ortalked with another character.

Oct 27, 2017
you dont need to lockpick anything even if that is an option (and lockpicking is not that hard, people are probably trying to do it slowly when it needs to be fast). Instead of thinking in a strict gameplay way like in other games, try to think lile in real life. Oh, lets ask the guard at the gate
Oh, he can be bribed. Of course you dont have enough money. Who is my best friend in the whole castle even if the mission is not mentioning her? The lady of the castle, of course. Oh, not only tells youa plan to dress as a soldier, but you can also ask for money to pay the gate soldier.
You dont need to steal anything.
And if anything here works, jist jum from the bridge, but you will get out without your horse
Also, one of the chests is unlocked. Who would have thought that exploring your environment and talking to people would pay off in an open world RPG? :D ;)

hanmik

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Also, one of the chests is unlocked. Who would have thought that exploring your environment and talking to people would pay off in an open world RPG? :D ;)

I like the idea of that.. but when you have to run around a burned down town to find a shovel, and it takes you 25 min. (because you are overloaded, and everything looks the same) to find the "trigger the next cutscene" place, then it gets fucking annoying..

Oct 27, 2017
Thats what i did aswell. Then i was searching the surrounding village to find a horse and FFS i couldn't find one :(
Went by foot and once you go far enough you get teleported to the destination... i found it a bit confusing.
I found that part a bit confusing too, when the game teleported me I was like wtf just happened. It was a bit jarring alright.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

But sometimes the game acts up.

My friend wanted to lockpick the chest in the guardtower, i did it without problem on the PS4 Pro, but 2 guards danced around the chest every 30 seconds. No chance to get to it. Even at night.

So he chocked one out on the other side of the castle and took his stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
I like the idea of that.. but when you have to run around a burned down town to find a shovel, and it takes you 25 min. (because you are overloaded, and everything looks the same) to find the "trigger the next cutscene" place, then it gets fucking annoying..
I know what you mean, but I was talking specifically about leaving the castle without resorting to jumping off the bridge like a proper noob when you can ride on a horse, out the gate all dressed up and armed properly ;)

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017

My friend wanted to lockpick the chest in the guardtower, i did it without problem on the PS4 Pro, but 2 guards danced around the chest every 30 seconds. No chance to get to it. Even at night.

That doesnt seem like the game acting up. That seems like you or your friend found tough luck and probably is better to not steal and do it in another way?
The game never forces you to steal, so its funny so many people are seeing it as their only option, and the game is crap because its too hard to steal stuff.
Like theres even a really easy way to be a good citizen and still escape without any repercussions, just with the help of a good friend you made.

hanmik

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I know what you mean, but I was talking specifically about leaving the castle without resorting to jumping off the bridge like a proper noob when you can ride on a horse, out the gate all dressed up and armed properly ;)

I did it this way
Talked to the Lady, got money for a bribe, She told me to dress as a guard,
Ran around the castle like an idiot searching for the armor.
Found a locked "very easy" chest. But had no lockpick.
Went to the trader to buy a lockpick.
Returned and opened the chest, looted it and equipped it.
Went to the lady, and had a stupid but funny conversation about how she didn't recognize me.
Took my horse from the stable (yes one of the horses is yours lol)
Went to the gate and tried to bribe the guard.
Realized I had used the bribe for a stupid lockpick.
Sold all the shit I didn't need at the trader just next to the guard.
Bribed the guard and rode away.

Oct 27, 2017

I guess that's one way to do it and there's no right or wrong way, but for every action there's a reaction and consequences down the line.
By the way
above the room where you wake up
is a tower with the unlocked chest.

McPoo

Jan 25, 2018
UK
I did it this way
Talked to the Lady, got money for a bribe, She told me to dress as a guard,
Ran around the castle like an idiot searching for the armor.
Found a locked "very easy" chest. But had no lockpick.
Went to the trader to buy a lockpick.
Returned and opened the chest, looted it and equipped it.
Went to the lady, and had a stupid but funny conversation about how she didn't recognize me.
Took my horse from the stable (yes one of the horses is yours lol)
Went to the gate and tried to bribe the guard.
Realized I had used the bribe for a stupid lockpick.
Sold all the shit I didn't need at the trader just next to the guard.
Bribed the guard and rode away.

I did exactly this, although I bluffed my way through the guard rather than paying him