• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
I take a nap and this happens. That said the first thing that stands out is how Vibrant the colors are with the characters. A definitive improvement and representation of Ogura's design (had a feeling that sketch art could actually be the polygon models)

Def gives me SFV vibes when I personally like. All comes down to how it animates though

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I take a nap and this happens. That said the first thing that stands out is how Vibrant the colors are with the characters. A definitive improvement and representation of Ogura's design (had a feeling that sketch art could actually be the polygon models)

Def gives me SFV vibes when I personally like. All comes down to how it animates though
Oh a nap. I thought you may have fainted.

Saito

Oct 25, 2017
SNK would have been ahead of this for once if they'd kept original reveal date. Sucks. Another fighting game revealed through leaks.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hm ok i guess.. Need to see it in motion.
Way too anime for me but i guess we all accepted that was KOF look now really. Clearly it's designed for a younger crowd than it was in the 90's, but that makes sense. At least i'd like it to be a little more darker and moodier i guess. Also more jazz and less dub step or something.

Lol KOF has been anime since day one

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
can we stop using anime as a descriptor?

anime alone has tons of artsyles and is vast.

Anime means an artwork from KOF in 96 cannot be something from a tv production. This, can. It's pretty simple. It's more in line with the general public expectation in term of japanese tv production. That whole condescending argument "but you don't know anime it's varied" means nothing, especially when there ARE stereotypical and mainstream type of designs in anime nowadays, more than ever.
KOF had once a look that wasn't the look of something else and wasn't trying to relate to a mainstream audience, or a younger audience.

How is Shinkiro "anime" lol... What does that even mean. Find me an anime with Shinkiro designs in it, artstyle wise, thx.
i'm told i use the term anime wrong but people seem to think any character designed by a japanese artist is anime..

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Also it is a work in progress, I remember for 14 we had some outrage but they polished it up significantly before release.

So with it imho looking better then 14 I can't wait how the polished/finished version will look visually.

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
I think the main thing about the shots is that they look like random screenshots and not promotional shots: better posing would do a much better job of selling people on the graphics and art style, and seeing it all in motion in the final trailer should hopefully make it much better overall.

Shiryu

Sep 6, 2019
KoF always been anime as hell (several of it's characters are ripped straight from anime, including the one in my avatar). Also when has KoF been dark and moody? There's certainly been serious story elements, but the game has never given off a moody vibe.
You have no idea what you are talking about lmao, seems like you just discovered the series recently.

The art style and body proportion in 90s has nothing to do with anime, you seem think japan style = anime style.

Blue mary is a fatal fury character that was translated to kof style, it's not an original kof character, and the characters that had been translated to kof have an art style and pixel art that is drastically different in kof compared to their fatal fury and art of fighting desing and look.

Even benimaru is completely different in kof 95 compared to his look in 94 that is influenced from jojo manga, Wich is also different from an anime art style.

Last edited:

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Not true actually. According to the developers it only became anime from XIV onward.

- They didn't go with cell-shaded graphics because Oda and Kuroki's visual image of the KOF series is that of KOF94. (Note: The original KOF94 had an almost metallic gloss to its graphics because Irem's Mitsuo Kodama (R-Type, Last Resort) worked on it after moving to SNK. He's now the president of K2.) Neo_G agrees that Neo_Geo games back then had a look that tried to imitate reality through pixels. According to Oda, the KOF series always had tall un-SD'ed characters up until 13, which was more anime-style. But because KOF13's been played for 6 years, there were people saying that the next KOF would be better if it looked anime.

- KOF14 originally had a more realistic look in its earlier stages but that ended up making things weird for characters like Kula or Athena that have blue or pink/purple hair. So they tweaked things and ended up with the current graphics.[\QUOTE]

www.mmcafe.com

4Gamer goes No Holds Barred with KOFXIV Devs - MMCafe / The Madman's Cafe

Serving Game News Fresh Off the Grill Since 1994
So let's stop being pedantic about what the word anime means. Even the devs use the word

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
You have no idea what you are talking about lmao, seems like you just discovered the series recently.

The art style and body proportion in 90s has nothing to do with anime, you seem think japan style = anime style.

Blue mary is a fatal fury character that was translated to kof style, it's not an original kof character, and the characters that had been translated to kof have an art style and pixel art that is drastically different in kof compared to fatal fury and art of fighting characters.

Been playing this series and posting about it on this forum for 20+ years, mostly with a Blue Mary avatar. As well as lots of other SNK fighters even older than that.

You're right she was introduced in Fatal Fury, but she was heavily inspired by Android 18, much like quite a bit of the cast of FF was based off of DBZ characters (tung fu rue, the twins as more examples).

Last edited:

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
Anime means an artwork from KOF in 96 cannot be something from a tv production. This, can. It's pretty simple. It's more in line with the general public expectation in term of japanese tv production. That whole condescending argument "but you don't know anime it's varied" means nothing, especially when there ARE stereotypical and mainstream type of designs in anime nowadays, more than ever.
KOF had once a look that wasn't the look of something else and wasn't trying to relate to a mainstream audience, or a younger audience.

How is Shinkiro "anime" lol... What does that even mean. Find me an anime with Shinkiro designs in it, artstyle wise, thx.
i'm told i use the term anime wrong but people seem to think any character designed by a japanese artist is anime..
then say that you wish this looked like SHinkiro's art (who doesn't work for SNK anymore IIRC) instead of the generic "its too anime" stuff lol. Its lazy.

So do cartoons but people have been using and understanding the word "cartoony" for decades now. Don't be so literal.
Thats lazy too.

I am sure its not the intention but anytime anyone says something looks too anime or too cartoony, or too gritty and realistic...it reeks of them attempting to look cool or some shit lol.

The bottomline is that KOF in the 90's looks like the anime of the era...and the KOF of today will take from anime of today. Especially ingame. Anyone expecting Shinkiro level detail in game is just as foolish as the folks wishing for sprites again.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris

Blue mary is a fatal fury character that was translated to kof style, it's not an original kof character, and the characters that had been translated to kof have an art style and pixel art that is drastically different in kof compared to fatal fury and art of fighting characters.

Even benimaru is completely different in kof 95 compared to his look in 94 that is influenced from jojo manga, Wich is also different from an anime art style.
Not true actually. According to the developers it only became anime from XIV onward.

So let's stop being pedantic about what the word anime means. Even the devs use the word

Thx guys you're better than me at explaining it!

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
then say that you wish this looked like SHinkiro's art (who doesn't work for SNK anymore IIRC) instead of the generic "its too anime" stuff lol. Its lazy.

What it really is that people want to act above everyone and that liking anime (especially modern) one is not that...so they constantly act like boomers with the back in my day shit.

Thats lazy too.

I am sure its not the intention but anytime anyone says something looks too anime or too cartoony, or too gritty and realistic...it reeks of them attempting to look cool or some shit lol.

The bottomline is that KOF in the 90's looks like the anime of the era...and the KOF of today will take from anime of today. Especially ingame. Anyone expecting Shinkiro level detail in game is just as foolish as the folks wishing for sprites again.

No KOF in the 90's doesn't look like the anime on tv in of the era, at all. Again.

And again, that's not about anime being bad or anything. It's about identity and being unique. Could be anime or could be something else, it's about trying to appeal to a more generic look in the end.

Now that makes sense, i get it. The crowd for KOF games changed dramatically since 95. And yes, it's younger. It has to be. Not one kid could buy a NeoGeo game in 95, and when it started being ported they were all playing tekken.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
These models look close enough to XIV that they could easily end up being fake.

I am really mixed on believing.

Pretty much all this time its been said that a lof of models aren't actually bad and could be reused with better shaders and lighting which in turn allows for a bigger roster

At the same time it looking so close to Kof14 with big improvements of course also means its in the realm of a very elaborate fake.

However if someone made a fake I feel like it would have been released in the lead up to the announced presentation. This coming out shortly after the presentation was postponed and after a Samsho character got leaked, makes me believe its real.

A bit inconsistent overall Mai's model does look like it could use some work but not bad

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
I think it looks promising. It sort of evokes a more 'serious' version of the artstyle used for the KOF Allstar CG trailers. See for yourself:

What we've seen of the backgrounds also have the level of detail you would expect from an SNK fighting game.

Confirmation

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I managed to get a hold of the Spanish press release for The King of Fighters XIV Ultimate Edition from a friend. It has a link a press kit at the bottom with The King of Fighters XV screenshots (this was obviously an error, it was supposed to link to the press kit for The King of Fighters XIV Ultimate Edition). All the shots in the thread are real.

Here's my post with the high-res images:

www.gematsu.com

The King of Fighters XV launches in 2021, reveal trailer and screenshots

SNK has released the reveal trailer and screenshots for The King of Fighters XV, which confirms the game will launch in 2021. Platforms were not announced, but another trailer is planned for releas…

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
It's still not anime character originally.
originally??
6djg8.jpg

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am really mixed on believing.

Pretty much all this time its been said that a lof of models aren't actually bad and could be reused with better shaders and lighting which in turn allows for a bigger roster

At the same time it looking so close to Kof14 with big improvements of course also means its in the realm of a very elaborate fake.

However if someone made a fake I feel like it would have been released in the lead up to the announced presentation. This coming out shortly after the presentation was postponed and after a Samsho character got leaked, makes me believe its real.

A bit inconsistent overall Mai's model does look like it could use some work but not bad

Yeah, the way it looks it could go either way.

It does look better than XIV but at the same time is built on top of it enough that it could end up being fake as well.

Either way, I'll be reserving judgement until we see it in motion.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Could have fooled me.

And how does that reflect the artstyle of the game lol. That was actually SNK already trying to give it a more anime look for a new more mainstream audience, but the game didn't look like that at all. You could justly see the contrast pretty obviously.

Also that prove my point. They couldn't have produce an intro at the time with the game artstyle, being Shinkiro. That wasn't possible, so you had to translate it to something more cheap. This is what i'm talking about.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I managed to get a hold of the Spanish press release for The King of Fighters XIV Ultimate Edition from a friend. It has a link a press kit at the bottom with The King of Fighters XV screenshots (this was obviously an error, it was supposed to link to the press kit for The King of Fighters XIV Ultimate Edition). All the shots in the thread are real.

www.gematsu.com

SNK has released the reveal trailer and screenshots for The King of Fighters XV, which confirms the game will launch in 2021. Platforms were not announced, but another trailer is planned for releas…

Thank you for doing the work to look into this, much appreciated.

They aren't going to show an unfinished Mai.

After SamSho it was clear that they learned their lesson when it comes to showing early/unfinished work ala XIV.

Well it's legit so either they wanted to get Mai out there early or she looks bad. Up to you how you want to see it.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well it's legit so either they wanted to get Mai out there early or she looks bad. Up to you how you want to see it.

If it's real and they are showing an unfinished Mai in the reveal trailer then yeah, that's a very bad look.

It's also her same exact XIV design, which is disappointing.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Certainly looks better than XIV but still not that hot. But tbf I'm not expecting fantastic graphics from any fighting game not made by NRS or Arcsys anymore.
Hopefully it looks better in motion.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD

www.gematsu.com

Thank you for your detective work!

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I don't think it looks good for a modern game in 2021. SFV is an older fighter and it looks much better than what we see in these images. I hope the models improve before launch.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Been playing this series and posting about it on this forum for 20+ years, mostly with a Blue Mary avatar. As well as lots of other SNK fighters even older than that.

You're right she was introduced in Fatal Fury, but she was heavley inspired by Android 18, much like quite a bit of the cast of FF was based off of DBZ characters (tung fu rue, the twins as more examples).
I mean we have words straight from the source that the early games were trying to look realistic with pixels.

Shozuki

Mar 5, 2018
KOF XII/XIII looked fantastic, but I'm not sold on the style since... Course it can look better in motion i'm sure.... But honestly I'd almost welcome re-used sprites from the KOF era of old...

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
And how does that reflect the artstyle of the game lol. That was actually SNK already trying to give it a more anime look for a new more mainstream audience, but the game didn't look like that at all. You could justly see the contrast pretty obviously.

Also that prove my point. They couldn't have produce an intro at the time with the game artstyle, being Shinkiro. That wasn't possible, so you had to translate it to something more cheap. This is what i'm talking about.

I posted it 2 reasons. One the "At all" claim is false as hell, video pretty much points that out. As for the more nuanced part, you're right it's not part of the game. But the visuals and aesthetics from the characters during this time frame pulled heavily on anime trends of the time, to the point they'd copy some characters wholesale. The fact this anime clip showcases these character designs faithfully (maybe even the best animated versions of them yet) shows that there's a big connection between the two.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Either way, I'll be reserving judgement until we see it in motion.

Yep makes me feel really bad for them. It doesn't look bad overall and could look really great in motion but because of whatever caused the presentation to not be able to happen today its going to be however long until the trailer and people will overanalyze these screenshots and focus on the bad

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
The game looks as much like that opening as it does the Shinkiro art.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I posted it 2 reasons. One the "At all" claim is false as hell, video pretty much points that out. As for the more nuanced part, you're right it's not part of the game. But the visuals and aesthetics from the characters during this time frame pulled heavily on anime trends of the time, to the point they'd copy some characters wholesale. The fact this anime clip showcases these character designs faithfully (maybe even the best animated versions of them yet) shows that there's a big connection between the two.

Yeah but there are 2 things i think. We're talking chara design or artstyle here. Sure i can tell you Iori has crazy red hair that must be anime, and athena etc.. I didn't say there wasn't anime influences. I'm saying the game you played didn't look like an anime. Its portraits by Shinkiro, it's cover art, it's game graphics going for realism and lots of details, with muted colors rather than other games at the time trying to mimic the look of a cartoon on tv.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but there are 2 things i think. We're talking chara design or artstyle here. Sure i can tell you Iori has crazy red hair that must be anime, and athena etc.. I didn't say there wasn't anime influences. I'm saying the game you played didn't look like an anime. Its portraits by Shinkiro, it's cover art, it's game graphics going for realism and lots of details, with muted colors rather than other games at the time trying to mimic the look of a cartoon on tv.
It looked more like late 80s/early 90s OVAs but still anime.

Oct 26, 2017
I very much accept the look of this new KOF.

Not having the reveal trailer stings, but I'll take these in the meantime!