• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Meh, can't stand his content. Tried watching him multiple times but he just annoys the shit out if me.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
Good for him. But damn if this doesn't benefit the ones staying on Twitch. I wouldn't mind if Mixer took over everything. Twitch is so incredibly annoying with its pepe the frog emote spam on every channel, and their incredibly biased enforcement of their rules.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing makes me feel more out of touch with the industry than "streamer news"

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
I guess for people who watch them this is big news, but to the average Twitch viewer, it just sounds like a bunch of "Who?"s leaving the platform.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Then just go to a different URL, doesn't matter to you

Nah there's a lot of reasons why people would be hesitant to switch platforms.

A big one is that if you're a superfan with a longtime sub, you lose that moving to mixer. People like feeling important having a multi year sub badge and a shiny icon in chat, being just another pleb on the new site isn't great.

Emotes are another big one.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017

A big one is that if you're a superfan with a longtime sub, you lose that moving to mixer. People like feeling important having a multi year sub badge and a shiny icon in chat, being just another pleb on the new site isn't great.

Fair enough. I suppose I'm not dedicated enough to any single streamer to feel like that, but that's valid

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fair enough. I suppose I'm not dedicated enough to any single streamer to feel like that, but that's valid

Yeah the more casual of a viewer you are, the less a streamer moving would really matter. That's why Ninja and Shroud seem like great pick ups to me, they aren't super tied into Twitch culture or anything. Whereas someone like Moonmoon is super integrated with sub only discords, emotes and so on.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

What's good of being a super fan if the person you're a super fan of is no longer on Twitch?

Deleted member 55421

Banned
Mar 29, 2019

But still, what's the difference? There are streamers I watch on Twitch and now there are some that Ill watch on Mixer. What's the difference what URL you put in? Emotes? Really? That's some of dumbest shit I've ever heard.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good for him, but I don't see how this helps the charity even though he's claiming it will. Unless their whole block of streamers move over, it's not going to have the same impact as it had on Twitch because I just don't feel like the viewership is ever going to be there on Mixer.

Anyways, it seemed like an inevitability after one of his real life friends made the jump about year ago and he kept saying it they paid him to move he'd do it. I expect Broman to announce his departure from Twitch in the next month.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I guess for people who watch them this is big news, but to the average Twitch viewer, it just sounds like a bunch of "Who?"s leaving the platform.

Obviously Gothalion isn't nearly as big as Ninja or Shroud. But he has a passionate community and the work he does for St Judes and GuardianCon is amazing. Twitch loses a remarkable streamer in that sense.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
I wonder what would happen with his podcast like streams with broman. Will broman be allowed to appear on mixer since he is still streaming on twitch?
But still, what's the difference? There are streamers I watch on Twitch and now there are some that Ill watch on Mixer. What's the difference what URL you put in? Emotes? Really? That's some of dumbest shit I've ever heard.
I mean just look at the poster's username lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Good for him, but I don't see how this helps the charity even though he's claiming it will. Unless their whole block of streamers move over, it's not going to have the same impact as it had on Twitch because I just don't feel like the viewership is ever going to be there on Mixer.

Anyways, it seemed like an inevitability after one of his real life friends made the jump about year ago and he kept saying it they paid him to move he'd do it. I expect Broman to announce his departure from Twitch in the next month.

I'd guess the move is helping his organization via the influx of cash it'll receive to scale operations ahead of GCX 2020.

Maeros

Dec 21, 2017
I can't believe some people in here are going to stop watching a streamer because they moved platforms. Truly one of the most confusing hot takes I've seen, and I've seen some shit.

Also, I watched Shroud on mixer the other day (first time using the site), and I was pleasantly surprised. Actually liked the viewing experience on there way more.

No, what you are doing is a hot take. There can be multiple reasons.
1) You like to watch twitch on your PS4 on the big screen... you cant have mixer on your ps4.
2) You simply dislike how the mixer website works. I have not checked it too much myself, but little things can become troublesome if you plan to use the site daily for hours.
3) you are afriad the community you like in someones stream might breakup with half or more not coming along. I have not expierenced that myself but i can imagine.

And im sure there are more reasons to think of. Think before you speak.

Oct 27, 2017
I still feel the stream is where they make the most impact. It will be difficult with streamers split across different platforms.

But all of the charity streams this year funneled donations through an external platform. As long as Mixer is able to get connected to that platform, it shouldn't be an issue (and now that Gothalion is exclusive to Mixer, I'm sure it's now a priority for them).

Torian

Aug 16, 2019
I really like him. This move sucks for me as I watch twitch via kodi. There is no mixer add on available for kodi though...

Last edited:

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully all of these bigger streamers jumping ship gives smaller streamers on twitch a chance to get more viewers and a chance to grow.

Deleted member 55421

Banned
Mar 29, 2019
You're out of touch if you don't think emotes are a huge part of Twitch's community.

That's not the point, emotes can be copied to mixer eventually. Using emotes as an excuse is complete bullshit. Yes mixer isnt at the same level right now, but it will be with time. I wish people were just honest about it. Just say "i don't wanna support Microsoft", at least that's honest. But emotes? Come on.

It's pretty clear like everything else Microsoft do that they'll generate a lot of hate. This is no different. Yet people will subscribe and follow 2000 people on twitter, Facebook, watch movies on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon etc. get gaming news on multiple different sites but god forbid you put in a different URL to watch streamers. Game streaming is where I draw the line! It's obvious BS.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
He's not popular comparatively to the other pick ups but he has a dedicated 2-3k viewers and he spikes at like 10-15k when there is new Destiny content. He's a nice guy but I only ever put on his stream if he was the only person on. It's great he's getting paid but I don't think this is a good pick up for Mixer. I feel like they need to get massive streamers because Ninja gets like 10k now and he used to get 40-50 on Twitch. I think Goth could drop as low as 1k.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox Two about to have more exclusive streamers than exclusive games
And Games MS ? No ? Okay...
giphy.gif

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
That's not the point, emotes can be copied to mixer eventually. Using emotes as an excuse is complete bullshit. Yes mixer isnt at the same level right now, but it will be with time. I wish people were just honest about it. Just say "i don't wanna support Microsoft", at least that's honest. But emotes? Come on.

It's pretty clear like everything else Microsoft do that they'll generate a lot of hate. This is no different. Yet people will subscribe and follow 2000 people on twitter, Facebook, watch movies on Netflix, Hulu, Amazon etc. get gaming news on multiple different sites but god forbid you put in a different URL to watch streamers. Game streaming is where I draw the line! It's obvious BS.
Twitch emote are basically a language in themselves at this point, it's a cesspit, but it's an incredibly important part of why people get attached to streamers and watch/sub and participate in their chat. It'd probably make for a really interesting study, I sure as fuck don't get it, but it is what it is.
It's less of a thing for streamers like Goth who have a somewhat readable chat he can interact with though, but acting like the weird Twitch chat culture is some none factor is you just showing you don't know what you are talking about.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Good for him.

Chocotaco has got to be on Microsoft's eye too if they're looking at great mid-level streamers and not just the big superstars.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Twitch emote are basically a language in themselves at this point, it's a cesspit, but it's an incredibly important part of why people get attached to streamers and watch/sub and participate in their chat. It'd probably make for a really interesting study, I sure as fuck don't get it, but it is what it is.
It's less of a thing for streamers like Goth who have a somewhat readable chat he can interact with though, but acting like the weird Twitch chat culture is some none factor is you just showing you don't know what you are talking about.

Twitch chat is so critical. Watched a Lirik stream last night where he streamed Carnival Row as part of an amazon promotion and watching it with all the poggers and various emotes at certain times was very entertaining. You want a mix of emotes and chat not all of one or the other but no question that emotes are much of what makes Twitch so much fun.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

No I'm being 100% when I say emotes are a huge part of Twitch chat. Its my avatar and username just because I like it so much.

You're right that mixer could be at the same level in time with third party extensions but I wonder if it will be 1:1. I really do think its something that would turn hardcore twitch chatters off the platform.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I checked the view counts between mixer and twitch.

Right now, without the big boys on mixer, it is anemic to say the least. The top game being played right now is COD with 7k viewers. On, twitch, thats literally the 32nd game. Then from there, it falls off dramatically.

We'll see how all of this shakes out.

congrats. Now you've figured out why Microsoft is investing in getting more eyeballs to mixer.