• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 23, 2017

Kinetica is a futuristic racer that came out for the PS2 in 2001 by Santa Monica Studio!

In this game, there are no cars. Instead, the racers themselves are the vehicles.

Each racer has wheels on their hands and feet, covered in protective armor.

Because of this, the racers are agile and nimble, enabling them to perform tricks at any time on the ground or in the air.

Performing stylish tricks rewards the racer with Boost meter that let's the player boost around the race track at increased speeds!

The game also featured a jammin soundtrack that made blazing through the race tracks even more fun.

Last edited:

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Super underrated. And the soundtrack is great.

What's with the thread title tho?

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Played a bunch of this at Sears on a demo disc that had this, and I believe Ico and Downhill Domination.

so this was no doubt no better than the third best game on said demo disc, lol

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does it compare to SSX and Wipeout?

I remember being interested in the game when it came out, but never really got around to playing.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I had this game back when it was new and loved it. I bought it again a couple years ago on PS4 and it was still pretty fun, but didn't hold my interest like it did as a teenager, heh.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I remember playing the demo a lot and really enjoying it. What I didn't realize until fairly recently was that it was developed by Santa Monica, which was interesting. I see the PS2 Classic version is on sale right now for $5, so maybe I'll get it.

Kernal 64

#TeamThierry
Oct 28, 2017
NY

Kinetica is a futuristic racer that came out for the PS2 in 2001 by Santa Monica Studio!

In this game, there are no cars. Instead, the racers themselves are the vehicles.

Each racer has wheels on their hands and feet, covered in protective armor.

Because of this, the racers are agile and nimble, enabling them to perform tricks at any time on the ground or in the air.

Performing stylish tricks rewards the racer with Boost meter that let's the player boost around the race track at increased speeds!

The game also featured a jammin soundtrack that made blazing through the race tracks even more fun.

I only have some vague memories of seeing this game on store shelves. I never played it or even knew anything about it, but I thank you for posting about it because that soundtrack is fire. I'm loving it! It actually shares a track with Extreme-G 3, which was a futuristic motorcycle racing game that I loved the hell out of. It also has a really great soundtrack that you'll probably like if you enjoyed Kinetica's soundtrack. I may see if I can find a used copy of this somewhere to try out. The gameplay looks fun.

EDIT:

If I remember right, when I still had my PS4, I saw it under the PS2 Classics section on PSN!

Looks like it's off to PSN I go!

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Soundtrack was good but I the only other thing I seem to remember about this game was the bad bikini armour character designs. Love that they used Hybrid for the intro tune.

OP
OP
Shinobido Heart
Dec 23, 2017
I remember playing the demo a lot and really enjoying it. What I didn't realize until fairly recently was that it was developed by Santa Monica, which was interesting. I see the PS2 Classic version is on sale right now for $5, so maybe I'll get it.

Oh it's on sale? Nice!

Soundtrack was good but I the only other thing I seem to remember about this game was the bad bikini armour character designs. Love that they used Hybrid for the intro tune.

Yeah, the bikini armor strikes again. If they ever come back to this game, be it remaster or sequel, hopefully they can change up the designs.

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the games on PS2 early in its life that built this association with the PS2 in my mind as the futuristic console, of such advanced technology that the worlds of its games were equally advanced and far out. Never played it until years later when I discovered that it was a fairly bare package all in all, but its concept is still captivating to this day.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Craziest part about this game is that Ratchet & Clank and God of War were built in the Kinetica engine

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
I really loved futuristic racers back then, the fifth element racing game was pretty cool too

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I loved this game, War of the Monsters, and Downhill Domination. All Underrated classics on PS2.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
First time I read about it in a magazine 20 years ago and it looked interesting, but didn't find it anywhere to buy.
Years later, played it with PS Now and... it was so hard for me! Haven't played it for more than some minutes though and maybe I should give it more time.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
BRUH I just remembered playing this game recently but couldn't remember the name.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to play it when I was a kid, as my (Now) in-law brought his PS2 over while staying at our house for a bit. Mother caught sight of the character designs at some point though and banned me from playing. I was too young to think anything of it, so that kind of sucked lol.

But yeah! Definitely still think on it occasionally. Just remember people being motorcycles and doing cool tricks. Maybe I'll grab the PS2 on PS4 version at some point.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even as a kid I was turned off by the weird ass armor

My only thought was that it would hurt like a bitch if they were to crash