• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to the new Gamescast, it's getting really amusing to hear Greg continuously say he's "not a GaaS guy."

Greg, after all the time you've put into Division 1, Division 2, Monster Hunter World, Fortnite, Destiny 2, DC Universe Online, etc., you are 100% a GaaS guy. And there's nothing wrong with that!

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Greg just said no Patreon money is going towards this. So that's good.

Even if that's true, it's still time and resources being put into something that the vast, vast majority of their audience isn't going to be interested in.

Seems like such a waste - this is like a brand new league right? Is it even going to be around in a years' time?

OP
OP
Calderc

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who doesn't understand (American) football I have no idea what any of this means.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Listening to the new Gamescast, it's getting really amusing to hear Greg continuously say he's "not a GaaS guy."

Greg, after all the time you've put into Division 1, Division 2, Monster Hunter World, Fortnite, Destiny 2, DC Universe Online, etc., you are 100% a GaaS guy. And there's nothing wrong with that!
He is saying that he plays those game for a month when they come out then drops them and doesn't participate in the "as a service" part of these games and no life them like Fran. But he is totally a GaaS guy or shared world/lite mmo type of player.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
giphy.gif

LMAO perfect...

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017

I fail to see the with you part. They seem to do whatever sounds fun to them and them only. But I'm always in the minority when it comes to KF criticism so I could be off base here.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Looking into this football league, it sounds... Bizarre at best.

Fans take a personality test on the website and those with similar results are lumped into a "team" together and are offered a change to name the team. Owner and identity will be announced later. And apparently fans will be able to call plays for the team or something? Weird.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Ah yes, american football, the great worldwide uniter.

Those IGN NCAA reviews finally paid off for Greg, lol. This is harmless I guess so why not, I'm sure some people will enjoy this ride. But I can't say that I will ever care one bit.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO

Fans take a personality test on the website and those with similar results are lumped into a "team" together and are offered a change to name the team. Owner and identity will be announced later. And apparently fans will be able to call plays for the team or something? Weird.

Apparently there's micro transactions as well....lol not even joking. You can pay more to have basically your input count more when calling plays.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017

I also have a lot of questions about the league... primarily isn't it extremely expensive to set up a sports league in the US (or anywhere else for that matter)? I don't really follow it, but didn't someone try to set up an American football league recently and had to basically sell the whole thing like two weeks in? And isn't Vince McMahon dumping literally millions into his league (for the second time)?

So who's funding this one and why would it be any different? Especially when apparently there's no funding coming from the team owners themselves? Who's paying salaries for players, coaches, staff etc.?

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like calling it a "professional" league is disingenuous.

Seems more like a rec league with additional (probably ill-advised) fan participation at best.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
If they paid nothing for it then I guess there isn't really any downside besides taking up their time which supposedly it won't take much of. Don't see the downside from their perspective. Also don't see any upside at all either. Banking on that 0.01% chance this turns into something I guess? If not then oh well nothing lost and Greg got to have a bit of fun with some fans that tune in.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
50 yard field with 7 players per team. It's like half-sized football.

Ah got it... so it's the equivalent of like a 5-a-side league in football (soccer)? That actually makes me feel a bit better about it... Seems more like a low-cost thing. Still entirely pointless in my eyes and I'm a bit annoyed they're spending Patreon time/resources on this.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
This sounds fine all in all, I'm sure there's something in it for them and I'm sure lots will enjoy it. The only downside for me is how much less stock I'm going to put in the hype they build over their own announcements in future.

OP
OP
Calderc

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I mean I'm not mad about it. It sounds entirely like the guy putting it together is a KF fan and approached them about it rather than the guys going all out trying to get it together. If it was me I'd say 'fuck it, why not' too.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Owning a team in a "league" that was founded in 2017 surrounding a sport that has 0 presence outside of the states.

Yeah. What a "hyped" announcement! Can't believe they hyped up owning a rugby team.

Why do I feel like they got "scammed" into this rec league?

And I don't believe the patreon money bit. The cash gotta come from somewhere and it's gonna come from the money that could have make KF better.

OP
OP
Calderc

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
Owning a team in a "league" that was founded in 2017 surrounding a sport that has 0 presence outside of the states.

Yeah. What a "hyped" announcement! Can't believe they hyped up owning a rugby team.

Why do I feel like they got "scammed" into this rec league?

And I don't believe the patreon money bit. The cash gotta come from somewhere and it's gonna come from the money that could have make KF better.
Straight up calling them liars is a bit much. We have no reason to doubt them.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Straight up calling them liars is a bit much. We have no reason to doubt them.

I am not doubting them not using the patreon money. But the money gotta come from somewhere. If they use money from like a sponsorship, one can argue that they are still using money for KF on a rec football league.

It's like working the books. On paper the money is not from patreon. But the money is from the revenue of KF.

OP
OP
Calderc

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
I am not doubting them not using the patreon money. But the money gotta come from somewhere. If they use money from like a sponsorship, one can argue that they are still using money for KF on a rec football league.

It's like working the books. On paper the money is not from patreon. But the money is from the revenue of KF.
Someone above said there will be 'microtransactions' of some sort so it's entirely possible the funding is all coming from some form of in-app thing.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Someone above said there will be 'microtransactions' of some sort so it's entirely possible the funding is all coming from some form of in-app thing.

If in-app purchase can fund a sports team, that leads to the problem of the legitimacy of the league.

That just make this league sounds a like thing to exploit fan engagement. Fans of different media personalities battle it out in terms of a rec football league.

It would be like a subscriber count contest between two twitch streamers repackaged into a football team.

OP
OP
Calderc

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
If in-app purchase can fund a sports team, that leads to the problem of the legitimacy of the league.

That just make this league sounds a like thing to exploit fan engagement. Fans of different media personalities battle it out in terms of a rec football league.

It would be like a subscriber count contest between two twitch streamers repackaged into a football team.
I think you're viewing it as something it's not meant to be. I'm guessing 'league' is being used very loosely and this is in no way meant to be as serious or legitimate as something like the NFL.

It's not like the players for these teams will be on multi million dollar deals. The fact they aren't even charging for games tells me that it isn't meant to be taken seriously as a 'sport'.

Brando

Oct 25, 2017
The impression I got from today's conference was that this "league" went and met all of the esport/industry giants and got turned away. So now they're going towards smaller grassroots groups and trying to build from there.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
I think you're viewing it as something it's not meant to be. I'm guessing 'league' is being used very loosely and this is in no way meant to be as serious or legitimate as something like the NFL.

It's not like the players for these teams will be on multi million dollar deals. The fact they aren't even charging for games tells me that it isn't meant to be taken seriously as a 'sport'.

The whole idea just sounds like a startup trying to gauge fan engagement and Twitch streaming like a Esports.

But football is a far cry from Esports. This league is trying to reap the benefits of Esports and live stream while having none of the quirks or benefits of Esports.

For example, I doubt most of the international audience of KF would care about football. Then how many people would watch a rec league football when there are much better alternatives.

The more I look into this league, the more it feels like one of those west coast startups that will gather a round or two of investments and go out of business.

The main problem is they chose American Football. A sport that has been struggling to gain new followers domestically and internationally.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I refuse to support football from a moral standpoint with the brain injury issues. It's just gladiator matches with less blood.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
The whole idea just sounds like a startup trying to gauge fan engagement and Twitch streaming like a Esports.

But football is a far cry from Esports. This league is trying to reap the benefits of Esports and live stream while having none of the quirks or benefits of Esports.

For example, I doubt most of the international audience of KF would care about football. Then how many people would watch a rec league football when there are much better alternatives.

The more I look into this league, the more it feels like one of those west coast startups that will gather a round or two of investments and go out of business.

The main problem is they chose American Football. A sport that has been struggling to gain new followers domestically and internationally.

I'll agree with this... it does seem like a start up throwing around a load of buzzwords to catch the attention of investors (Microtransactions! Streaming! Fan engagement! etc.) and I wouldn't be surprised at all if this folds in a year without a game being played.

I guess the good thing for KF is that they seem to have very little stake in it, so if it does go under they can just shrug their shoulders and walk away. It'd be a little embarrassing but nothing really lost.

Edit: and yeah they would have been better off picking a sport like soccer... easier for non-fans to get into, international audience, 5-a-side is a thing that already exists. Would make more sense.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Okay so reading through the league's website, it sounds even worse than I'd thought at first:

The outcome of each fan vote will be relayed to the quarterback and executed on the field.

This seems not only really bad from an sporting point of view (because most fans would realistically make terrible coaches) but also sort of dangerous? What's to stop fans continuously voting for the most aggressive/dangerous plays? That sort of thing is fine for like Twitch Plays Pokemon or whatever but we're talking about real people playing real games here.

All 8 teams will be based in a single city and play in a massive production studio.

The pictures make it look like this is just a big hanger with maybe one stand of fans. So there'll be next to no atmosphere at the games and also no way to build fan involvement as most people won't be able to attend.

Our streaming broadcast deal with Twitch provides an audience of more than 120 million passionate fans ready to call your number.

It seems super disingenuous to imply that every single person on Twitch will be watching this league. But I guess this is aimed at investors more than anyone else.

Honestly the more I read about it, the more I'm convinced that lemonade is right and this is just a start up looking for funding without any real thought of actually running the league. It looks like they're trying to do eSports meets traditional sports, without considering that this involves real people playing a fairly aggressive sport. Mostly I just don't see why any players would join this league, unless they were absolutely desperate. You'd be playing for some nothing team, in front of no audience, on what looks like a plastic pitch and you have no say in the on-field decisions, even if you know they're not the right call. Unless you needed the money, why would you choose to do this?