• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I remember Gary being pretty interested in Xbox in the 360 days, seems like a no brainer to involve him in this.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
If you consider that system warring, sure.
what do you mean by "enough content though" kinda funny seems to crank out content on almost everything. MS is about to announce a slate of new games, a new console generation, new streaming service, gamepass is still relatively new. there's easily 60 mins / week of stuff to talk about?

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What a fantastic lineup of gaming personalities.

I've gotten tired of everything and everyone but giant bomb/giant beastcast but I think I'll enjoy this.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
I hope they do an edited podcast.
I'm tired of game podcasts being a straight 1-2 hour non-edited audio from a conversation full of long-winded moments, noises, repetition, non-relevant content.

elknoir

Oct 28, 2017
I hope they do an edited podcast.
I'm tired of game podcasts being a straight 1-2 hour non-edited audio from a conversation full of long-winded moments, noises, repetition, non-relevant content.
Nah. No thanks. This is what I love about Kinda Funny. It's very casual and feels genuine. I like the ramblings and background noises. They feel like real people that you are hanging out with and listening to them talk about games. I don't want that to change.

hrœrekr

Banned
May 3, 2019
Nah. No thanks. This is what I love about Kinda Funny. It's very casual and feels genuine. I like the ramblings and background noises. They feel like real people that you are hanging out with and listening to them talk about games. I don't want that to change.

If you have more time to spend for the exact same info, that's good for you. Most people don't have it, and the amount of podcasts people listen is rising every day.

But even if you have time, there is a missed opportunity with this media.
Imagine discussing about a moment in game X, and the Edition cut adds the background music and some dialogue from that point in the game.
After listening to Moves and News podcasts adding this type of care, my gaming podcasts sound cheap.

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
It's a strong set of hosts, so I'm sure it'll be a decent listen, but I have to say I'm surprised to see so many people excited about platform-centric podcasts. I thought most outlets had moved away from that sort of reporting (and it's certainly not something I personally enjoy), but I guess there's still a large audience for it. I'm curious to see how the reception turns out.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
If you have more time to spend for the exact same info, that's good for you. Most people don't have it, and the amount of podcasts people listen is rising every day.

But even if you have time, there is a missed opportunity with this media.
Imagine discussing about a moment in game X, and the Edition cut adds the background music and some dialogue from that point in the game.
After listening to Moves and News podcasts adding this type of care, my gaming podcasts sound cheap.

Ironically that sounds like a huge waste of time personally. If a gaming podcast did that I would be alot less likely to listen to it.

hrœrekr

Banned
May 3, 2019
Ironically that sounds like a huge waste of time personally. If a gaming podcast did that I would be alot less likely to listen to it.

Listen to the New York Times podcast to see how much you can learn in 20 minutes.
I really don't have time to listen to someone fixing their microphone or ranting about some random off topic.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Listen to the New York Times podcast to see how much you can learn in 20 minutes.
I really don't have time to listen to someone fixing their microphone or ranting about some random off topic.

I think we just have different priorities. I don't listen to game podcasts to learn things as much as I listen to them for entertainment.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
what do you mean by "enough content though" kinda funny seems to crank out content on almost everything. MS is about to announce a slate of new games, a new console generation, new streaming service, gamepass is still relatively new. there's easily 60 mins / week of stuff to talk about?
Their other shows already cover xbox/nintendo/ps4 news. It's hard to do daily shows and not cover everything. Seems this show would be more of a "this week in xbox".

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Their other shows already cover xbox/nintendo/ps4 news. It's hard to do daily shows and not cover everything. Seems this show would be more of a "this week in xbox".
If you look at PSiloveyou its going to be a deeper dive into different franchises or smaller exclusive titles. it will probably mirror this but with Xbox game studios or gamepass exclusives in mind. interesting to see the fresh new team be brought together for this aswell

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
Not even a fan of Xbox nor am I confident they've gotta enough content to warrant this, but that's a damn good cast. I'll support just for that, and to see how they tackle this.
Up until Sony's show an Xbox podcast would probably have more to talk about this year than either a Sony or Nintendo podcast.

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Platform specific shows feel pointless these days imo (I love Easy Allies for instance, but Friend Code has been largely 'nothing' for ages). Some weeks, even industry-wide ones struggle to fill time.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Great cast and we need another dedicated Xbox podcast. Alanah really knows her stuff, same with Gary and he's entertaining, I don't know the other guy. Hopefully it extends beyond the 6 week pilot.
Yeah I get that but he rubs me the wrong way more than the rest. Ive never seen a coversation with him where he comes off as anything close to genuine.
It's just the way he talks, he used to work in radio and he uses that same "professional" voice. He seems like a genuinely nice person and I enjoy his podcast as well.

Noriea

Nov 8, 2017
Gary straight up pitched this show on an episode a looong time ago. He's definitely an Xbox fan and I look forward to the show. Alanah and snowbikemike are just a bonus.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Genuine question.

As an Xbox fan asking Xbox fans. Do you actually like Major Nelson?
Hes fine, maybe a bit old fashioned. I dont really seek out his content though and do sort of wish they would freshen up their forward facing personalities.

Speaking of Xbox marketing, whoever has been running the Game Pass twitter needs a promotion lmao

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
If you look at PSiloveyou its going to be a deeper dive into different franchises or smaller exclusive titles. it will probably mirror this but with Xbox game studios or gamepass exclusives in mind. interesting to see the fresh new team be brought together for this aswell
Oh, ok. Only watch their daily show and their "specials" so wasn't really sure how psiloveyou or its Xbox equivalent work.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
So strange that KF feel so unconfident about doing an xbox podcast they have to do a trial. Like there's not literally tens of millions of them. It's like Xbox owners a foreign species or something.

Spongehead56

Jul 6, 2018
Wisconsin
For some reason I can't quite identify, I love listening to Gary Whitta talk So I'll be listening to this podcast even though I haven't been in the Xbox ecosystem for 8 or so years now. Maybe I'll have to get back into it. Game Pass sure sounds amazing :)

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
I love grumpy old Gary and Snowbike Mike has a lot of enthusiasm but I think Alannah will give the show a solid foundation. I hope it's successful and gets the green light for permanent status.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Not a big fan of Mike. I just can't get over his style and voice. Which I mean when I'm listening to these when driving, the voice is 100% going to make it or break it lol. It's hard to explain.
Gary is gold though

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
So strange that KF feel so unconfident about doing an xbox podcast they have to do a trial. Like there's not literally tens of millions of them. It's like Xbox owners a foreign species or something.
You just never really know who your audience exactly is. They may find that the majority of their listeners don't care about Xbox, which means an Xbox show wouldn't make KF any money. Doing a trial let's them see if the potential is there.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
You just never really know who your audience exactly is. They may find that the majority of their listeners don't care about Xbox, which means an Xbox show wouldn't make KF any money. Doing a trial let's them see if the potential is there.

But that's like a supermarket refusing to sell vegetarian food, saying "But none of our customers are vegetarian".

Of course they aren't! You don't sell anything they want!

Sell the product and the customers come.

KFG are missing out on so many customers because of their lack of xbox know how/engagement.

This is a good first step.

Nama

A Big Deal
Nov 2, 2017
Think all 3 of the hosts being subcontractors and advertising atm contributing a lot to going into a new show more cautiously.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
It's a strong set of hosts, so I'm sure it'll be a decent listen, but I have to say I'm surprised to see so many people excited about platform-centric podcasts. I thought most outlets had moved away from that sort of reporting (and it's certainly not something I personally enjoy), but I guess there's still a large audience for it. I'm curious to see how the reception turns out.
In this case, it is filling a void that exists within Kinda Funny's platform agnostic content aswell - there is a reason none of the KF full timers are on this podcast.

Dec 15, 2017
I love Allanah and Gary, but I don't for the life of me see the appeal at all to Snowbike Mike. I only make it like 5 minutes into anything KF with him in it, audibly groan and turn off the video. I'll have to give this a pass

piratethingy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

That's fine, but to pretend that everyone has the same needs and wants as you is strange. Videogame podcasts have a long history of veering off-topic and having 5 star run times for a reason. People want it.

Conan

Oct 25, 2017
Console specific podcasts are not something I would listen to, seems like an arbitrary way to talk about games.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
Someone get Tim Gettys a goddamn Nintendo podcast like you don't even have to worry about content cause Nintendo nostalgia trips will get people through the rough patches.