• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man PS4 was a pale imitation of Arkham's combat, it's open world checklist shit fucking sucked. Give me 300 trophies over 200 copy paste gang crimes any day of the week. It's stealth sections were trash. Especially it's non Peter ones. It's story was pretty dang good though. Probably better than Arkham city. So yes. Arkham City for best superhero game. And that's all I have to say about that.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
I'm calling literature and music right now to tell them they aren't mediums.

m6OKGzv.jpg

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man felt like a bloated open world to me, while the Arkham games are tightly-designed Metroidvania experiences (until Arkham Knight, which I wasn't a huge fan of). I also had a much better time with the stealth segments in the Arkham games.

Spiderman and Batman have two very different styles of combat so it isn't that cut and dry. Could you really imagine going through an entire game without him swinging?

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Spider-Man PS4 was a pale imitation of Arkham's combat, it's open world checklist shit fucking sucked. Give me 300 trophies over 200 copy paste gang crimes any day of the week. It's stealth sections were trash. Especially it's non Peter ones. It's story was pretty dang good though. Probably better than Arkham city. So yes. Arkham City for best superhero game. And that's all I have to say about that.
Spiderman''s combat is far superior to the abomination that is arkham queuing.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Spiderman''s combat is far superior to the abomination that is arkham queuing.
There's zero balance in the Spider-Man toolkit. It's just stacked with super weapons that render actual hand to hand sorta pointless. There's no incentive to maintain combo. Trying to do so feels clunky. The first time I did one of those combat challenges and realized that the only ducking thing that mattered on the scoreboard was time, I wrote it off entirely. If they valued their own combat they'd want you to explore it, to be artful with it. Instead they just want you to hurry up and end it already. That's fine. It's really not worth another second of your time anyways. Just web em all up with gadgets and move on to another 20 copy paste crimes. Hey look it's this same car crash again.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
There's zero balance in the Spider-Man toolkit. It's just stacked with super weapons that render actual hand to hand sorta pointless. There's no incentive to maintain combo. Trying to do so feels clunky. The first time I did one of those combat challenges and realized that the only ducking thing that mattered on the scoreboard was time, I wrote it off entirely. If they valued their own combat they'd want you to explore it, to be artful with it. Instead they just want you to hurry up and end it already. That's fine. It's really not worth another second of your time anyways. Just web em all up with gadgets and move on to another 20 copy paste crimes. Hey look it's this same car crash again.
Yeah. And the gadgets and hand to hand are still better than Batman.

And I'll go one step further, the next batman games combat will be more akin to spiderman. Where you are mostly in control of your actions instead of whatever the balerina nonsense they've been getting away with.

plain

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about that. Batman is my all time favorite but spidey has been dominating on all fronts.

Best superhero movie: Spider-Man 2 tied with Dark Knight
Best animated superhero movie: Into the Spider-Verse
Best TV show: Spectacular Spider-Man
Best superhero video game: Spider-Man PS4

Not to mention all the success of the character in the MCU. Spidey is the content king right now.

Batman is not far behind but I don't think the Arkham games are gonna get any better and DC won't be topping Into the Spider-Verse anytime soon.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Yeah no, Into the Spiderverse is the best CBM and I couldn't even go past 5 hours in the Batman games.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm.... other than Dark Knight not being the best superhero movie, you've got a point. But Dark Knight isn't even the best Batman movie.

Lego Batman is

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. And the gadgets and hand to hand are still better than Batman.

And I'll go one step further, the next batman games combat will be more akin to spiderman. Where you know you are mostly in control of your actions instead of whatever the balerina nonsense they've been getting away with.
The freeflow combat system is a freestyle bop-it with better diversity of challenges, a more measured, yet purpose built set of tools. and an infallible sense of timing. You don't have 20 instant KOs in your back pocket. The blade dodge takedown alone is better than every single thing in the Spiderman PS4 combat toolkit.

AND fwiw batman always does exactly what I want him to. Complaints about ballerina nonsense don't really land for me. Different punch animations are just that. Different punch animations. It's the same move, just covering varying amounts of distance, as dictated by the needs of the player.

I felt basically the same way about Witcher 3 though, and I know that's unpopular. For me, Geralts various pirouettes were just different attack animations that all served the same purpose with some variation in distance covered to address my own needs as a player.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Honestly, only the animated series would take it for me. And then Spiderverse destroys every other superhero animated film as well so might as well be a draw.

Honestly Spiderman PS4 is only better than Arkham Knight,
Asylum, City and Origins are far better.

Nah, I think Spider-Man still edges them out or is at least very close to City. For me the spiderman gadgets are way more fun to use in combat and traversal doesn't get old as fast. I would give Bats the edge in stealth sections and puzzles but that's about it.

If you think Hulk Joker is a better way to end a game than the spectacle that was the Doc Ock fight, I legitimately wouldn't know what to say. That was a terrible way to end an otherwise amazing game.

Also hot take: Spectacular Spider-Man would have surpassed Batman TAS if those cowards had not canceled it.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

A bunch of weirdos incorrectly think Begins is better. They are incorrect and weird, although they have a point when they say Begins is more of a Batman movie while Dark Knight is more of a really good crime thriller that happens to have a guy dressed as Batman in it.

But it doesn't matter because both have been surpassed multiple times by the MCU. Also Into the Spider-Verse.

Spider-Man PS4 is at least as good as Asylum and City.

But yeah, Batman TAS is still GOAT.

Nov 23, 2017
I'd take Begins over Dark Knight but generally, I agree with you OP. The one I'd consider changing would be Arkham Asylum for Spider-Man PS4 if I had to change something.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
I came here ready to disagree; but I kind of can't?
I would take Batman Begins over Dark Knight, and Arkham City over Arkham Asylum. Biggest disagreement is that I would take Justice League / JLU over Batman TAS, but even those have plenty of Batman in them.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree, but I will give you that Batman has had very good adaptations in the mediums you've suggested. Very few comic characters get that. Spider-Man is the other main one.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Miles and MJ stealth sections, open world check list and well standard open world design means Arkham City > Spider-Man for me.

Spider-Man 2 and TDK I hold in equal regard.

Young Justice is the best superhero series.

Oct 25, 2017
Best Superhero Film: The Dark Knight

I'm not sure what I'd call the best superhero movie, but it wouldn't be The Dark Knight or any other Batman movie.

Best Superhero Video Game: Batman Arkham Asylum

Best single-player superhero game, maybe. I still like UMvC3 better.

Best Superhero TV series: Batman: The Animated Series

It ain't BTAS, but it is Justice League Unlimited, so I'll let this one slide.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man PS4 is the best Superhero Game

Better Combat and traversal which us all it needs. To win. Arkham better at side quests and easter eggs though.

ConanEd

Alt account
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Spiderman easily has movie and animation movie, probably video game too.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Arkham's combat is a complete joke. It was impressive in its novel simplicity for one game and then it got continued to age like milk. Even for its time I almost instantly did not take to it. There's no sense that you really get good at the game at all, no incentive to want to get better.

Spider-Man PS4 has a lot of weird issues with its combat (the way it "automates" some of the combat and doesn't really have any actual hitboxes that can intercept multiple enemies for crowd control is something I'm really not a fan of), but at least there's still a satisfying depth to cleverly utilizing gadgets, planning approaches, upholding combos and having a risk/reward incentive with utilizing meter to refill health or do an instant kill move. Specific attack sequences and combos actually shift Spider-Man's current spatial location which can either be a safety or a risk depending on what type of enemies are currently in sights. It's actually somewhat satisfying to get good at, and it's still punishing to get wrong. Even with having sunk in dozens of hours I still end up eating dirt at times. I'd kind of argue it's probably the best thing about that game - especially since web swinging in the game really doesn't have all that much of a skill ceiling to it.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really have a definite answer for best film or game but Batman is in the conversation for both.
It's at least impressive how much high quality content has been made for the character compared to most others.

Also mannn Spiderverse stanning is already getting annoying it's really good but not some untouchable masterpiece that towers above all other comic movies.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Into the Spider-Verse and Spider-Man PS4 make this statement redundant.
Into the Spider-Verse I agree with is a great film. Kind of different territory. I would say Spiderman game as much as I liked it, story wise doesn't hold up to the Rocksteady games. They pioneered a lot of the combat we see even in the spiderman game too. But they were incredible. I think spiderman is really good, but I just don't think it's in the same level personally.

Then again I'm a story guy. Story/Pacing/Mood beats out technically better gameplay for me.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's got the top animated super hero movie in under the red hood as well. Though spiderverse nearly took that one.

WeaselKing

Oct 27, 2017
An OK opinion, OP, and I might even have agreed with you a couple of years ago, but not right now. Batman has been critically surpassed on all of the mediums you've stated.