• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

perfect free

Oct 25, 2017
I tried booting the game and wasn't sure what I needed to do, since it was just sitting on an empty starfield and giving me no indication of what key to press. But then, after a minute or so, illumination:

B4aj6Zo.png

On the plus side, I needed the laugh today!

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
This game is really wonderful, and I hope it stays that way. Being able to talk into the void about my problems is cathartic, and I've received some truly heartfelt, wonderful responses already. And responding to other people's problems feels really nice. I love the airplane mechanic too.

e: Didn't realize one of the people behind this worked on Elegy For A Dead World! I can definitely see the DNA there, and I'm all for more interesting writing games in the world.

Last edited:

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
This is wonderful.
I've sent a few without any issues, but on my last one I hit the 503 error a couple times in a row and then the deer just promised me it would get sent....i'm a little skeptical lol.
But yeah the introspection this encourages is really great. I've always found passively writing about problems to be relaxing, and sharing them anonymously like this and having a pretty robust response system really is beautiful to see.

(the music so far is kinda pushing the definition of lo-fi lol....i guess that's how a lot of those youtube streams are though ha...enjoyable enough though)

Diagol

Oct 25, 2017
This game...some of the requests are pretty heavy. I have a hard time reading some of them. My personality is I want to help people all the time, but I feel guilty about skipping some of them because while I want to help, I feel like I'm not qualified to and would make things worse by writing something to them.

I even wrote a request today which made me cry (and the responses were so sweet). It's quite therapeutic.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
I like helping people. Lord knows I dont just drop half thought out responses with my wordy history. Might be nice to get this and hopefully help make a difference to someone.

Dec 6, 2018
Thank you Era for bringing this game to my attention, I foresee it getting a lot of use. I do wish the line limit was slightly higher though
This game...some of the requests are pretty heavy. I have a hard time reading some of them. My personality is I want to help people all the time, but I feel guilty about skipping some of them because while I want to help, I feel like I'm not qualified to and would make things worse by writing something to them.

I even wrote a request today which made me cry (and the responses were so sweet). It's quite therapeutic.
You can always say just that. "I'm sorry for your troubles, honestly I don't know how I can help but I do hope you overcome it. Everyone on this platform is looking for help in each other and because of that we are all rooting for each other. I appreciate you." I think because of the word limits, it really is a mechanism of venting and acknowledging, with whatever detailed advice being icing on the cake

Deleted member 22070

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's... exactly what I needed. What a great and pure idea of a "game".

Buying this right now, thanks a lot OP.

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
What a beautiful concept for a game. I'll buy it next time I'm on. Thanks for the recommendation!

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
I love that this runs on a toaster - I'm able to check in on my MacBook Air, and not fire up the big PC.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
I must say I'm impressed. I spent an hour trying to be helpful, if only a little, by replying to requests, but I was really stunned by the amount of interesting replies my own request got. Thanks for sharing BronsonLee

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I picked it up after being interested since the original Humble Monthly release and I'm glad I did. It's a real soothing game, and cathartic just freely writing requests. The community has been mostly positive so far which has been nice, haven't seen any bad letters or requests yet.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
20 minutes in, and it's the best 20 minutes I've spent on Steam all year. ♡ I love it so much.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing off and on this morning - feels so nice to be helping people out - also not had any trolls/hateful messages. It's so nice to see people being caring over the Internet.

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Bought it yesterday after seeing this thread and replied to quite a few letters. Replied to a few more today. It can be a bit exhausting at times to be honest, but it feels good to be able to offer at least a little bit of support to someone out there.

The soundtrack is awesome too.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Saw my first troll message today, reported and it was deleted. Great to see.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I am a bit interested in the fact that you can't reply to someone who answered your letter. There is probably a good reason for that but it seems like there is a natural potential to form a pen pal here.

But I guess I actually like the fact that you aren't pressured into being in an endless conversation.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I am a bit interested in the fact that you can't reply to someone who answered your letter. There is probably a good reason for that but it seems like there is a natural potential to form a pen pal here.

But I guess I actually like the fact that you aren't pressured into being in an endless conversation.

They said that it could be dangerous.

Among the many types of people Kind Words attracts are young, confused and vulnerable folks. I know MOST people are good. But there are some predators who would like to find vulnerable people, start side conversations with them and influence them negatively.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Back at it again this morning. It'd be nice to have a count of letters you've answered total. I don't know how many I have done but it must be quite the number by now! Especially knowing I write quite the lenghty letters. But I feel that adding that little stat track might going against the spirit of the game too, this isn't a competition after all.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Back at it again this morning. It'd be nice to have a count of letters you've answered total. I don't know how many I have done but it must be quite the number by now! Especially knowing I write quite the lenghty letters. But I feel that adding that little stat track might going against the spirit of the game too, this isn't a competition after all.

Did you find how to get the deer sticker? It's the only missing to me as well

I hope they add more in the future, it's really fun

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Did you find how to get the deer sticker? It's the only missing to me as well

I hope they add more in the future, it's really fun

Nope, still no sign of the deer sticker. I even twitted at popcannibal about it but they haven't answered. I guess it's rare by design, but it feels a bit weird considering how easy to get everything else is. I wonder if only a special event can trigger it.

It looks so cute!

PartialStickerSheet.jpg

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is amazing, it was hard enough writing what I had issues with, but the kind responses almost moved me to tears (and there were so many too! I was shocked.). Felt nice to help out other people too.

Definitely gonna use try and use this for awhile, if only to let myself vent for awhile.

Thanks OP!

OP
OP

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Thinking I'm going to make this one of my daily games - only like 5-10 mins in the morning really helps center me for the rest of the day

nemorrhoids

Oct 22, 2018
This game is so lovely. But I tried booting it up again and the Popcannibal and Humble logos roll, and then I'm just staring at empty space. Anyone else have this problem?

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So this game is likely somewhere in amidst the dozens of unplayed Humble Monthly titles I have accumulated? I am definitely going to try and find it ;)

OP
OP

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Reading some of the letters.. I feel like I should try it out but at the same time.... "gamers" are vile filth with real human issues (this is where my empathy kicks in and ends) and another layer of anonymity would be like playing black jack.

In retrospect journey worked because I did not know who the heck was on the other side and they could only communicate via pinging while this one feels like the 'cleanest' of 4-chan board (for now).

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is super neat. I feel like i've typed some good responses to people, I've gotten stickers back which feels nice, I hope it helped them. Only put out one question into the wild and got some good responses. I find myself just booting this up and doing it for 5 minutes in between housework tasks.

Bought the OST, it rocks.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Do I sign with my real name or my "alias" (like Xiofire) at the start of the game?

Just bought after the glowing recommendations in this thread. Hope it's cathartic like you guys say

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Do I sign with my real name or my "alias" (like Xiofire) at the start of the game?

Just bought after the glowing recommendations in this thread. Hope it's cathartic like you guys say

Whichever you feel like? At the end of the day, all the other players will ever see is just the initial of the name you've chosen to use.

perfect free

Oct 25, 2017

It'll abbreviate whatever you put to just your first initial, so people will just see that your letter is "from X" for example.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Whichever you feel like? At the end of the day, all the other players will ever see is just the initial of the name you've chose to use.
It'll abbreviate whatever you put to just your first initial, so people will just see that your letter is "from X" for example.
When writing a letter, it will only show your initial letter ("X", for example).

Sweet, thank you. I didn't know if it'd sign all my letters with my name, and it just said to not share any details.

Edit: Seems the servers are dead :c Hope it comes back up soon.

Last edited:

Caesar III

Jan 3, 2018
Bought this yesterday via mobile because of you guys. Need to try this tomorrow. I hope the server issues aren't too costly for him so this concept can live looong