• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I'll save my personal feelings on the game towards the end.

Was a Humble Monthly exclusive until today.

store.steampowered.com

Save 20% on Kind Words (lo fi chill beats to write to) on Steam

A game about writing nice letters to real people. Write and receive encouraging letters in a cozy room. Trade stickers and listen to chill music. We're all in this together. Sometimes all you need are a few kind words.

Steam Page:

Write Nice Letters to People and Get Stickers
Has something got you down? Stressed you out? Scared you? That's pretty normal. It might help you to talk about it. In Kind Words, players anonymously write out their concerns and sorrows by making short requests for letters.

Receive Comforting Letters
Everyone can respond to requests with letters of comfort, sympathy or gentle advice.
Kind Words is a positive context; a warm, cozy mood. A place to feel centered and focused on the opportunity presented:
Use your words to lift others and be lifted in return.

Polygon Article about the game:

Kind Words is not like any game I've ever played. And while Kind Words relies heavily on the input from other players, it's definitely not like any other multiplayer titles I've come across.

The premise is simple. When you first load up the game, a deer that sounds like an Animal Crossing character asks you to write a short letter about something that's worrying you. This letter will then get sent out to the community, who can respond to your requests. Everything is anonymous. If you like someone's response, you can share a sticker with them. While you wait, a selection of lo-fi chill beats by composer Clark Aboud play in the background, giving everything a dreamlike feel. That's it, that's the whole game. Some, I'm sure, would question if it really does qualify as a game, but whatever you want to call it, it's a one-of-a-kind experience.

Now my part. I personally feel this will be my game of the year at the end of 2019.

I haven't played anything like it - it's probably the most soothing game I've played in a long time, which says a lot. It's stuck with me quite a bit, even if I only play it for small spurts out of the day. It helps me reset after dealing with the rigors of the day, or whatever awful, terrible news life seems to want to throw at everyone lately.

It's important to me that, even here, a place where far too much fighting happens, that we as a community try to find things that provide positive emotional responses, beyond just entertainment. Without making it too lofty, I think Kind Words is a great way to start these kind of responses, and for a low price. Give it a shot!

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What a unique and warm idea for a game. Kind of reminiscent of ideas like fmylife.com but with the opportunity to reach out and support one another. Really cool.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me of the bottle messages in Selfie: Sisters of the Amniotic Lens, which were similarly affecting.

OP
OP

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
What a unique and warm idea for a game. Kind of reminiscent of ideas like fmylife.com but with the opportunity to reach out and support one another. Really cool.

I was sold entirely on the concept when I heard about it as a Humble Original, but worried it wouldn't be able to deliver entirely on it, especially since, as a former staff member here, I've seen how difficult handling such a thing, with anonymity built in, can go

But they really cracked it.

This reminds me of the bottle messages in Selfie: Sisters of the Amniotic Lens, which were similarly affecting.

I've never heard of that one! I should look it up. Thanks :D

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like something I really need right now. Thank you for posting it. :3

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Whats stopping strangers / trolls from responding to your short letter with unkind and mean stuff? How is it moderated?

OP
OP

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Whats stopping strangers / trolls from responding to your short letter with unkind and mean stuff? How is it moderated?

Current iteration: Game's creator looks at every report that gets put in. Community is around 3000 people, he's only had to ban around 12. For the Steam release, it's currently set up where if a request hits a certain threshold, it's automatically pulled until he can look at it. When you report a letter you receive, it instantly disappears from your list forever.

This sounds like something I really need right now. Thank you for posting it. :3

What an amazing concept! Thank you so much for posting!

Glad to! Hope it helps out, even if it's only a little bit! :D

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
It's so, so good. I'm glad to hear more helpful people, and people who need help, will be able to experience it now!

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Current iteration: Game's creator looks at every report that gets put in. Community is around 3000 people, he's only had to ban around 12. For the Steam release, it's currently set up where if a request hits a certain threshold, it's automatically pulled until he can look at it. When you report a letter you receive, it instantly disappears from your list forever.

Excellent! I've got a friend who's currently battling depression. I'm walking over to her place today to install this for her. Thanks.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
By the way, if you did get this in the July 2019 Humble Monthly as a Humble Original, Steam keys for it have now been added to your account.

Last edited:

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Cool idea and I'll probably pick it up but I feel like this could be... exploited.
Edit: Just saw the post about the creator sorting out the bad stuff. Hope it doesn't get overwhelming.

OP
OP

Deleted member 42

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Cool idea and I'll probably pick it up but I feel like this could be... exploited.
Edit: Just saw the post about the creator sorting out the bad stuff. Hope it doesn't get overwhelming.

It is likely not something that will scale too well, it would either require staff or a very strong algorithm. It's quite a lot to take on, but they seem to have a good handle on what to try.

There's a similar app on mobile called Slowly

I like Slowly as well, the vibe is a bit different, odd as that sounds. Kind Words seems very dreamlike - the soundtrack likely helps here.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
The image in the sample screenshots that says "I thought it would be easier to make friends in college. -A" literally made me tear up.

Stupid sample screenshot...

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
By the way, if you did get this in the July 2019 Humble Monthly as a Humble Original, Steam keys for it have now been added to your account.
Holy shit, thanks for this. I had no idea this was a thing. I bought A Short Hike when it launched on Steam, not realizing Humble already gave me a key.

Will try this game out later when I get home, sounds very relaxing.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I wonder how long this will last. A game that requires that level of moderation without additional income can't last forever. :(

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
This sounds absolutely wonderful. I wish I could use my pc more than I can now. I'd pick this up in a flash.

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018
Thanks for the recommendation. Spent an hour tonight just responding to people. We're all human, all in this together. Glad something like this exists.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
lo fi beats to chill to, that's my jam, I'll just buy it mainly because that's some high marks from Bronson and that's a very interesting premise for a "game"

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I just spent over an hour writing letters to strangers.

The only thing I'm not a fan of is the 14 line limit. I'm sure there's a good reason for it (and it DOES work as an excellent exercise in self-editing) but durnit, sometimes I want to spread my wings a little.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
This is so so lovely, and so valuable. It feels genuinely meditative and productive to spend 10-15 minutes doing. Thanks for making the OP, Bronsonlee.

Orso

Oct 28, 2017
Seems like a really nice idea for a game and i'm constantly listening to lo fi youtube videos. Might check it out.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
lofi-hip-hop-beats-to-study-and-chill-to-ones-to-watch.gif

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Tried this out because I saw on twitter about the free key through humble monthly and got sucked in for an hour and a half. I wish exporting letters would also export the letters you write others because i've mostly been responding. I did put out a request about my biggest worry right now, and its a complex one so I wasnt expecting people to answer back cus I figured what do you even say. But I got a response that was so sincere it made me tear up. Sometimes its just nice to have that pat on the shoulder and someone saying "I get it"

Chairdeath

Oct 29, 2017
Deep down you always know that other people experience some of the same struggles, but seeing it personally written out by someone...

It's a trip. I've written out one request and answered so many but man. This hits you hard.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
I have been playing for over an hour.

Its incredible. Speaking openly just feels like a weight off my shoulders and im glad I get the chance to help someone else on the other end.