• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough - No need to apologize! And you are correct, I believe. Playstation did agree to partner with Microsoft on the use of Azure to power their cloud streaming activities.

But it is rather apparent that Playstation is relatively quite behind Xbox in that regard. PS Now is treated as a second class service within Playstation's own portfolio, and cloud even less so. I do think a Kojima cloud project could be an injection of life into their offerings, but he may wish to partner with a platform that has a wider cloud customer base.

I still think we will see an exclusive Kojima title for PS5 - perhaps that is the aforementioned rumored big title.
is xcloud a bigger platform than playstation now already? that can't be right.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
soooooo let me get this straight.

According to the article they haven't even clinched a deal with kojima but they hired kim swift specifically to help out Kojima with his theoretical game?

make it make sense.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
While I wouldn't be confident in proclaiming that Xcloud has more time streamed than PlayStation Now (largely because neither company provides that sort of numbers), which I can confidently state is I believe there are more Game Pass Ultimate subscribers than there are PS Now subscribers.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019

According to the article they haven't even clinched a deal with kojima but they hired kim swift specifically to help out Kojima with his theoretical game?

make it make sense.
This does happen sometimes. Like it's a pre-deal sweetener to indicate that one party is committed to the idea.

Even so, the article itself doesn't read that way. It reads like Kim would help with all cloud solutions, including whatever the theoretical Kojima project (or any other cloud-heavy projects) might require.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I wouldn't be confident in proclaiming that Xcloud has more time streamed than PlayStation Now (largely because neither company provides that sort of numbers), which I can confidently state is I believe there are more Game Pass Ultimate subscribers than there are PS Now subscribers.
i see what you mean.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Just because you don't like what a journalist has to say, doesn't make them any less valid at their job.
It's funny how a lot of threads based on reporter information turn into an anti-reporter rhetoric when people don't like the information they're reporting..
You really need to get off whatever armchair psychologist BS this is. If you don't agree with the substance of an argument that's fine, but don't patronize.

It couldn't be more clear you don't know much about Jeff Grubb if you honestly think he leaks everything he knows just for clout. He holds a lot of his knowledge close to his chest, often withholds information to not take anything away from the dev, but is a reporter all the same who does his job well.
I don't know Jeff Grubb, may you do, but I know Jeff Grubb has recently undercut the reveals/announcements/demonstrations of
-Guardians of The Galaxy
-Halo's Multiplayer modes
-BOTW 2 Trailer
-Elding Ring re-reveal

and pending confirmation...
-Alan Wake Remake
- Dead Space sequel

It doesn't really matter how much he holds close to his chest when he's leaking out announcements at a higher clip than anyone else. He also was wrong about Scarlett Nexus being on gamepass, which I think is detrimental to to developer, so maybe not as considerate or measured as you think.

I just don't see a lot of value in most of the above while being a clear trend.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

make it make sense.
So, Kojima was reportedly in discussions with Stadia about making an exclusive for them, taking advantage of Stadia's cloud exclusive nature. At the time, I believe Kim Swift was in charge of external developer relationships for Stadia's first party studios, so likely was heavily involved in crafting the deal. Deal got as far as executive approval, Phil Harrison shot it down, and shortly afterwards Stadia first party got shuttered.

Fast forward a year or so, Kojipro kept themselves busy with Death Stranding Director's Cut, Xbox has been expanding their cloud gaming services and publicly commenting on the idea of cloud only games. Then, Phil Spencer puts Lumens on his Shelf of Spoilers, and now Xbox hires Kim Swift to effectively be in charge of external party relationships for Xbox's cloud streaming platform. It's all kinda conspicuous when you lay it all out.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Playstation Now only has like 2.5 million subscribers as of a few months ago if I remember correctly. xCloud isn't it's own thing yet but is a beta attached to Game Pass Ultimate, which also doesn't have numbers attached to it. That being said though, Game Pass as a whole has at least 18 million subscribers (as of Jan 1, 2021) and as long as more than 2.5 million of those subs are on Ultimate (which is likely, given the conversions) then xCloud has a theoretically higher userbase. Add in the fact that the game is almost certainly several years away, xCloud will almost certainly have had considerable growth to have a large userbase

There's also talks to be had about how Microsoft is prioritizing the cloud (having a timeline for upgraded server blades, plans to make xCloud it's own entry point into Xbox, likely a cloud only tier when xCloud leaves beta etc) over Playstation and also enabling potential cloud only games to be made under the Xbox banner as well, which would make partnering with Xbox over Playstation for a cloud game a non-starter.

OP
OP
rrc1594

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017
You really need to get off whatever armchair psychologist BS this is. If you don't agree with the substance of an argument that's fine, but don't patronize.

I don't know Jeff Grubb, may you do, but I know Jeff Grubb has recently undercut the reveals/announcements/demonstrations of
-Guardians of The Galaxy
-Halo's Multiplayer modes
-BOTW 2 Trailer
-Elding Ring re-reveal

and pending confirmation...
-Alan Wake Remake
- Dead Space sequel

It doesn't really matter how much he holds close to his chest when he's leaking out announcements at a higher clip than anyone else. He also was wrong about Scarlett Nexus being on gamepass, which I think is detrimental to to developer, so maybe not as considerate or measured as you think.

I just don't see a lot of value in most of the above while being a clear trend.

They all do it. When Starfield trailer leaked Jason was retweeting it. Then when asked why is he doing that he replied something along the line is that it's his job.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They all do it. When Starfield trailer leaked Jason was retweeting it. Then when asked why is he doing that he replied something along the line is that it's his job.
that's different in that Jason didn't leak that himself.

and now we're leaking business negotiations for something that may/may not happen?

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
So, Kojima was reportedly in discussions with Stadia about making an exclusive for them, taking advantage of Stadia's cloud exclusive nature. At the time, I believe Kim Swift was in charge of external developer relationships for Stadia's first party studios, so likely was heavily involved in crafting the deal. Deal got as far as executive approval, Phil Harrison shot it down, and shortly afterwards Stadia first party got shuttered.

Fast forward a year or so, Kojipro kept themselves busy with Death Stranding Director's Cut, Xbox has been expanding their cloud gaming services and publicly commenting on the idea of cloud only games. Then, Phil Spencer puts Lumens on his Shelf of Spoilers, and now Xbox hires Kim Swift to effectively be in charge of external party relationships for Xbox's cloud streaming platform. It's all kinda conspicuous when you lay it all out.
That makes sense.

Honestly i'm gritting my teeth over an xbox kojima exclusive but as long as it comes out day and date with the xbox version on pc and is available on game pass i'm good

*shrugs*

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
did jeff grubb do something shitty or something? why does this thread read so hostile towards him?
Fanboys are gonna fanboy.

I do think he's got contacts at Xbox, and I do think he does get fed pro-Xbox news a lot. Sometimes he gets bad info (Xbox Gold going free being the highest profile example, and I recall him making a couple of Starfield related statements that wound up being wrong). However, I do acknowledge that he's been correct way more times than he's been wrong, and he did call pretty much everything from the E3 showcase in advance and Microsoft reviving Kojima's Stadia proposal as their flagship cloud-only or cloud-first game does make a lot of sesne to me.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Game Pass certainly is a larger platform than Playstation Now is by over 7x the number of active subscribers.

On cloud users specifically, the numbers are a bit less clear. The Sony Investor Relations presentation we saw last month indicated that cloud streaming represented approximately 40% of the total playtime for PS Now users as of 3/2021. It is hard to ascertain the specific number of cloud customers, however. For the purposes of this discussion, let us assume that there are exclusively cloud-only users and download-only users - consequently, we could estimate that there are roughly 1.3 million cloud users of PS Now.* I have not been able to find discrete statistics on cloud users of xCloud beyond the beta for Android - but even then, Xbox was declaring that they had hundreds of thousands of users. That figure has no doubt grown since the formal launch, aswell as the iOS + Desktop beta releases. And considering the sheer size of the Game Pass subscription base (more specifically, the Ultimate subscription base), it is hard to believe that a few million have not even just tried a streaming version of a title through the Game Pass app.

* This is obviously very rough napkin math here - but I think it helps to demonstrate that there is a clear discrepancy in scale of platform and serious interest between the two competitors here.

Regardless, I think access to potential users is the more important criteria here. Xbox Game Pass (and its xCloud capabilities) will soon be accessible across Console, PC, and Mobile (Android & iPhone), of which the latter makes for a noticeably more comprehensive platform than the current suite of PS Now access options.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
I see, but that doesn't mean he can't create other games for other companies. Just because he makes a game with one company doesn't mean he can't make another game for another company at the same time lol.
If he is making an xbox exclusive it's likely there is nothing else in the development pipeline for kojima productions for the forseeable future. They aren't THAT big of a studio and historically they work on one game for a very long time. There were literally 2 games from him the entire last generation. Actually the last 2 generations as MGSV was technically a ps3/xbox360 game.

So 'he can make other games' kind of ignores the fact that they likely will not be doing that lol

Sep 7, 2020
If he is making an xbox exclusive it's likely there is nothing else in the development pipeline for kojima productions for the forseeable future. They aren't THAT big of a studio and historically they work on one game for a very long time. There were literally 2 games from him the entire last generation. Actually the last 2 generations as MGSV was technically a ps3/xbox360 game.

So 'he can make other games' kind of ignores the fact that they likely will not be doing that lol
I am not ignoring logistical capabilities, but its absolutely true that he can sign multiple deals to work with different companies at the same time. I would not be surprised if he was doing multiple projects with different companies at various points.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game Pass certainly is a larger platform than Playstation Now is by over 7x the number of active subscribers.

On cloud users specifically, the numbers are a bit less clear. The Sony Investor Relations presentation we saw last month indicated that cloud streaming represented approximately 40% of the total playtime for PS Now users as of 3/2021. It is hard to ascertain the specific number of cloud customers, however. For the purposes of this discussion, let us assume that there are exclusively cloud-only users and download-only users - consequently, we could estimate that there are roughly 1.3 million cloud users of PS Now.* I have not been able to find discrete statistics on cloud users of xCloud beyond the beta for Android - but even then, Xbox was declaring that they had hundreds of thousands of users. That figure has no doubt grown since the formal launch, aswell as the iOS + Desktop beta releases. And considering the sheer size of the Game Pass subscription base (more specifically, the Ultimate subscription base), it is hard to believe that a few million have not even just tried a streaming version of a title through the Game Pass app.

* This is obviously very rough napkin math here - but I think it helps to demonstrate that there is a clear discrepancy in scale of platform and serious interest between the two competitors here.

Regardless, I think access to potential users is the more important criteria here. Xbox Game Pass (and its xCloud capabilities) will soon be accessible across Console, PC, and Mobile (Android & iPhone), of which the latter makes for a noticeably more comprehensive platform than the current suite of PS Now access options.
Yes, MS for sure is investing a lot more in cloud gaming and it will for sure overtake it when xcloud is fully rolled out on macs, ios, etc.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
I am not ignoring logistical capabilities, but its absolutely true that he can sign multiple deals to work with different companies at the same time. I would not be surprised if he was doing multiple projects with different companies at various points.

Yes it is technically true, in theory that kojima could be producing 2 large AAA games at the same time. Technically, that is possible as much as any ridiculously unlikely thing is possible. Well done, have a great day.

Sep 7, 2020
Yes it is technically true, in theory that kojima could be producing 2 large AAA games at the same time. Technically, that is possible as much as any ridiculously unlikely thing is possible. Well done, have a great day.

Why are you so mad? Please explain why the fact that he could be potentially working with Xbox but still could be doing other projects a problem.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Cloud game"?

So whatever that Stadia thing that fell through was, I guess?

Eh...

Why would they need to be "large AAA games" though?

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
We have reached a new low when insiders are complaining about a missed tease opportunity.

Im super excited to play whatever's this game turns out to be. I'm guessing MS is gonna give him whatever he needs.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
I don't think that that Twitter about Kim Swift is saying that she's gonna help with cloud-only games. It's saying that she's gonna help implementing games on the cloud? So, like, any game that have xCloud support, running on a cloudy Series X. So this isn't a cloud only game.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
"Cloud game"?

So whatever that Stadia thing that fell through was, I guess?

Eh...

Why would they need to be "large AAA games" though?

Because that is the only thing Kojima has ever made outside of like....a handful of games? would you also speculate that the next naughty dog or bethesda studios produced title might be a small indie, just to win points in a pedantic argument on the internet?

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
What interesting feature-set did Stadia point out again for 'cloud native' games? Infinite multi-screen (but why? and isn't that extremely costly in terms of running hardware, especially if only singular player). Physics on a massive-scale? State-sharing? Advantages was mostly multiplayer-related conditions I believe.
Microsoft Flight simulator is probably the most proper use of 'cloud native' tech (streaming ever-changing live content). Maybe Kojima is making the ultimate strand/hiking simulator.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
The question now is, why it will use Cloud native tech ?

Photorealistic graphics with help of Satellites ?
Physics ?

Status
Not open for further replies.