• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting to compare the meaning of the destruction of this dress with that of this painting or that monument.

If the curators of The Louvre let Jake Paul "borrow" the Mona Lisa for a few weeks and it ended up getting Cheeto and mtn dew stains all over it I wouldn't consider that some great tragedy either.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Not arguing with you here, it's just an interesting conversation, but it's never really the work itself right? I don't think things are usually made inherently having historic value in a vacuum, people collectively confer value onto it. If the people responsible for the item are pretty cavalier with it, doesn't that denote to some degree how valuable it is? Using the previous example, the Mona Lisa isn't going to be lent out to any dinner parties. There are probably entire committees or preservation groups for some historical artifacts

I agree on some points. I do believe that most pieces of art aren't created with the goal of being "historic timeless pieces," but they reach that status based on their cultural impact/ scarcity. Like what was said in this thread.. Monroe's Dress can be considered art because of its Cultural Impact & Scarcity. It was a big moment in American History + only 1 exists. Does the treatment of said piece of art denote how valuable it is? Yes... but also.. people are stupid. This dress was preserved very well, until someone made a dumb decision. It's happened before (remember Monkey Christ?) and just because Ripley was the one who preserved it, doesn't mean other places wouldn't. Hell, Fonzie's Jacket is on display at the National Museum of American History... you think they wouldn't have accepted and preserved Monroe's dress if it was in their care?

Samenamenick

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Manchester, NH
Love how jfk being involved in this dresses history has so much sway in it being so significant. Motherfucker woulda been 'cancelled' in .1 second with the womanizing etc etc etc. Like, is he so revered on this forum of all places that a gal he had an affair with wore a dress while singing to him is a sacred culture item all of a sudden?

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Love how jfk being involved in this dresses history has so much sway in it being so significant. Motherfucker woulda been 'cancelled' in .1 second with the womanizing etc etc etc. Like, is he so revered on this forum of all places that a gal he had an affair with wore a dress while singing to him is a sacred culture item all of a sudden?

Notoriety isn't a statement on JFK's "goodness" as a person.

He was POTUS.

She was one of the biggest celebrities in the world.

Their affair was the scandal of that decade.

The dress itself is one-of-a-kind and impressively constructed.

Jun 17, 2019
There are many differences between video games and that dress, including the fact that that dress is famous because of celebrity worship and so it's fitting (lol) that it gets destroyed by celebrity worship.

Yes there are a lot of differences including the fact that you can copy a game and duplicate it because of the nature of how its made. This dress is one of a kind. Monroe was sewn into it, and specified that the dress not be worn by anyone else. Period.

Its not just because of Marilyn either, its because of the designer. He didn't make another like it ever. So it literally is a one of a kind price. It holds significance to the fashion design history of our country.

Should all unique/novel things necessarily be preserved?

Yes,or at least a significant amount of them.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I also echo the sentiment that things like this should be preserved. History is art and art is the reason for living.

I'm not particularly torn up about this incident, but the fact that some curator let a person wear the dress out and about is baffling.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Its not just because of Marilyn either, its because of the designer. He didn't make another like it ever. So it literally is a one of a kind price. It holds significance to the fashion design history of our country.

Wow, I just looked up more info on this dress, and the original sketch of it was produced by Bob freaking Mackie, his first gig out of college too!

There's so much fashion history in this dress.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You know who else knows what her body is like? Kim. Unless she has the exact same measurements she should not have worn it.
that's fine but my point stands. kim kardashian is kim kardashian. she is addicted to attention and will do a stupid thing if it gets her attention.

if something is truly precious to you, you keep it safe. giving a precious dress to kim kardashian is setting yourself up for failure. they cared more about money than protecting that dress from kim kardashian.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
This was a stupid thing for the costume institute to even greenlight. Just don't understand it, as it was all bad

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
This is not a big deal. I am sure the dress has been conserved multiple times over the years. They will just repair the damage that was done it's not like it was cut or covered in paint or anything.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
it's a very old dress and they don't really have the same exactly body, who could've thought lol
maybe make a replica next time to actually wear it.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Must be nice to be rich enough just to have people bend over backwards and do stupid shit for you to validate your existance.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
it's a very old dress and they don't really have the same exactly body, who could've thought lol
maybe make a replica next time to actually wear it.

According to posts earlier in the thread she had a replica that she also used on the night but I guess she changed into that after the entrance or whatever......seems pointless to not just wear the replica all night if you've got one made.

Oct 28, 2017
One of the few things in the world that was truly Marilyn's and they allow it to be treated like that. Shameful all around.

According to posts earlier in the thread she had a replica that she also used on the night but I guess she changed into that after the entrance or whatever......seems pointless to not just wear the replica all night if you've got one made.
Yeah, this. No logic to it whatsoever.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Hostility towards another member
Thinly veiled Kim Kardashian hate thread. Dress was 60 yrs old wtf did they expect. Design of dress sucks anyways, Kim shouldn't of wasted her time with this.
Should not have. English is my third language and even I know that.

Also what an idiotic response. It's a piece of art.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
How big of a deal is the dress to people who into fashion?

I ask because I've read it was being displayed at Ripley's Believe It Or Not. I've been to art museums that have fashion exhibits. I went to DC and went to all the big museums there and several had clothes on display. Some had been worn by famous people, some were there because they were iconic in some way (like I remember one museum had one of the handmaid's outfits from Handmaid's Tale and Dorothy's slippers from The Wizard of Oz movie).

Maybe it's a weird situation where Ripley's just outbid other people, or Monroe personally gave it to them, or something like that, but I don't know, if this was a truly important artifact of the fashion world it's kind of hard to believe it wasn't being displayed somewhere more prestigious.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Still dont get why they let her wear it

It was obvious as hell that anyone who tries to wear it now would ruin it

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

I ask because I've read it was being displayed at Ripley's Believe It Or Not. I've been to art museums that have fashion exhibits. I went to DC and went to all the big museums there and several had clothes on display. Some had been worn by famous people, some were there because they were iconic in some way (like I remember one museum had one of the handmaid's outfits from Handmaid's Tale and Dorothy's slippers from The Wizard of Oz movie).

Maybe it's a weird situation where Ripley's just outbid other people, or Monroe personally gave it to them, or something like that, but I don't know, if this was a truly important artifact of the fashion world it's kind of hard to believe it wasn't being displayed somewhere more prestigious.

Art and history is another commodity to be sold. Ripley's bought the dress for 4 million dollars in 2016. Stuff gets put in a museum because it gets donated, but sometimes the private owners keep it for their collection. A lot of value and price is inflated as a way to reduce your tax burden to keep this cycle of art going through the upper class.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
42ae1e55860bf6deb8a95702b3737fc996ac2ed714824d296ed913d2ab5f9b8e_1.jpg

Grow up.

No seriously this is amazing. Love that onion.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
One could argue that Kim Kardashian wearing the dress is art in and of itself. Not like this wasn't a rich people ego project in the first place.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017

Ripley's outbid several other prestigious museums.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
I guess the owner shouldn't have lent it out. But when you pay a few million to own a well known dress, you can do with it what you will I guess.

I wonder if owner has insurance on it and lending it to a Kardashian is covered under the policy.

Also, it's not even the dress I think of when I think of Marilyn Monroe. That's the actual iconic white dress that kept getting blown up as she held it down. Then I guess it would be the potato sack.

waterpuppy

Too green for a tag
Jul 17, 2021
While I know that era isn't exactly fully of fashion historians, some of the takes in here are kind of mind boggling lmao. When Kim showed up wearing this, fashion historians and hobbyists alike exploded all over the internet to talk about it. No matter how you personally feel about celebrity culture or Marilyn Monroe, this dress IS a fashion artifact with a lot of cool history attached to it.

Everyone involved with this PR stunt are morons and it's pretty frustrating to know that even the most talented conservator couldn't fix some of the damage here.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Ripley's outbid several other prestigious museums.

Maybe there's no way of knowing this, but I wonder if Ripley won the bid because they have deeper pockets, or because the museums just weren't that interested.

I've seen people act like this is some kind of outrage, that Kim didn't respect the dress' historical importance or whatever.

But to people who are into fashion (obviously people who aren't won't really care), is this like an original Van Gough being defaced? Or is more like someone borrowed the boots Arnold wore in the Terminator from Planet Hollywood and returned them all scuffed up?

It's hard to tell if the people who seem offended are actually into fashion and reacting to a precious artifact being destroyed, or if it's just like "Marilyn Monroe? She was famous! You can't just treat famous people stuff willy-nilly!"

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
Tbh, I don't think this is Kim K's fault at all. This is the fault of a private entity holding a historical artifact.

This is no different from Jeff Bezos buying the original movie prop of the Enterprise and putting into Blue Origin's cafeteria.
You know some idiot is going to spill coffee on it someday.

0SnTejwl.jpg
Holy shit, I didn't know he did this. Rich privilege is disgusting.

DirtySprite3

Banned
Sep 13, 2019
Then she shouldn't have been wearing it lmao, it didn't fit her in the first place and is iconic and historic. What a stupid take

They shouldn't of let her wear it if they didn't expect it to come back partially damaged. Don't get mad at my take get mad at the people who were tasked to preserve the dress lol.

Find God.

Don't hate on the Kardashians. Also, the dress sucks.

Wonderful.

I said what I said. Wear that dress out now and see how many dudes send a drink your way.

Should not have. English is my third language and even I know that.

Also what an idiotic response. It's a piece of art.
You want a cookie for correcting me and knowing three languages? Doesn't change the fact the dress is mid imo.

Last edited:

waterpuppy

Too green for a tag
Jul 17, 2021
Isn't "Marilyn Monroe wore it during the Happy Birthday performance" its entire history? Before the current scandal at least?

Edit: sorry for the double post.
Bob Mackie, one of the most famous fashion designers ever, drew it specifically for Marilyn right after finishing college. As one of his first designs it holds amazing historical value.
And even if it might not seem that way, the bidding war on it that Ripley's eventually won was also kind of a big deal at the time.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
super old dress. doesn't fit the wearer. Blame the owners for making a quick (couple million) bucks for renting it out.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Still dont get why they let her wear it

It was obvious as hell that anyone who tries to wear it now would ruin it
they severely misjudged.

they thought they could get some pageantry and historical call backs via connecting Kim Kardashian to another major mega-star..

but they forget that Kim Kardashian is a modern business, and doesn't give a shit about historical relics, even if it's something she claims to give a shit about.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Kinda linked

Monica Lewinsky sold her famous semen stained dress at an auction today for $2.6 million to internet millionaire Ricky Pittsburgh, according to Sotheby's Auction House in Los Angeles.
"This dress is priceless", said Sotheby's auction manager Raul Paul. "This dress represents the downfall and impeachment of a presidency! It represents America's shift to the right! If not for this dress the war in Iraq may never have happened!"

The $2.6 million is twice the price of the dress Marilyn Monroe wore when she sang "Happy Birthday" to John F. Kennedy in 1962. Experts suggest that Monroe's dress would have commanded a much higher price if it was also semen stained.

Is the Lewinsky dress now worth nearly 10 million then if it was double the Monroe one?(JFK jizz sadly absent)
I'm in the wrong bloody game.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
I think the other sad thing about this, aside from a piece of history being destroyed, is that this shows that none of us have learned from the pain and trauma Monroe was put through by the industry and society as a whole. We continue to objectify her legacy and treat her as some sort of commodity, decades after her passing.

It's sad all around.

OP
OP
SAINT_

SAINT_

Banned
Oct 4, 2020
No. She lost quite a bit of weight in order to fit in the dress.

Simply sitting and standing for hours while in this garment was probably enough to do it in.
Even after losing a lot of weight it STILL didn't fit...she was unable to zipper the back and had to wear a stupid fur stole to hide it.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Even after losing a lot of weight it STILL didn't fit...she was unable to zipper the back and had to wear a stupid fur stole to hide it.

It really is mindboggling anyone thought this was a good idea.

I was reading that Monroe didn't wear anything underneath it, and it needed to be sewn onto her because it was so tight and form-fitting.

Seems beyond obvious it wouldn't fit Kim without being modified somehow.