• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Are the people upset with it the managers of the dress? Did the public get a say in where the dress is stored or who owns it? Why such hostility over culture you obviously don't understand.

Of course Ripley sucks here. This is a problem with art being a game for rich folks where cultural artifacts are held onto and exploited by private owners. It's just weird to be like "Kim bears no blame" or people jumping in to defend Kim, who is a piece of shit.
Oh, I think she's a jerk. Full agreement. Just tired of the media getting played by this family and giving them constant attention. They're pure grifters.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a lot of people involved made some pretty bad decisions.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
After seeing the video of her assistants literally forcing the dress on, and originally being on team the person that lent it out was in the wrong, both parties are in the wrong. Her, and her assistants, clearly had the opportunity to say this is just not going to work out. No one did.

So 70% blame on the owner that lent it out. 30% blame on her and her team.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I didn't know so many people gave a shit about Marylin Monroe's dress. Sucks that it was damaged, totally the owner's fault for letting Kim K even try to wear it. Kim K should've moved on when it was clear it didn't fit

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
It should never have been lent out in the first place.

Like, *either* it's an artifact worthy of preservation, *or* it's novelty costume for hire. Can't be both.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I take it they have insurance on it, they paid almost 5 million for that piece of tat and let someone waltz around in it.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
as always, nothing is ever a mistake with the kardashians. seems like they got the desired attention regardless with the bonus that something that is associated with someone truly iconic like marilyn now includes kim as a part of its history.

also the fact that she had to go through a ridiculously unhealthy weight loss routine just to barely fit into something not meant to be worn by her (or anyone) really says it all, in a bad way.

really not a fan of that family.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I mean why did they let her wear it to begin it? Did she just flash a bunch of money? In the end of the day it is only just a dress, but come on Kim's figure and Marilyn's figure aren't even close.

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The "who cares it's just a dress" takes in this thread are pretty funny considering the threads we've had on this forum about video game preservation.

the lizard

Nov 1, 2017
The "who cares it's just a dress" takes in this thread are pretty funny considering the threads we've had on this forum about video game preservation.
There are many differences between video games and that dress, including the fact that that dress is famous because of celebrity worship and so it's fitting (lol) that it gets destroyed by celebrity worship.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
It should literally be taken off the people who allowed this to happen, and donated to an actual museum. Disgraceful way to treat one of our collective cultural artefacts.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
There are many differences between video games and that dress, including the fact that that dress is famous because of celebrity worship and so it's fitting (lol) that it gets destroyed by celebrity worship.

Another difference being there was only ever one of this dress made.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

It's also different in that it is a one of a kind couture piece, and already 60 years old at that.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
It should literally be taken off the people who allowed this to happen, and donated to an actual museum. Disgraceful way to treat one of our collective cultural artefacts.

I think you have to draw the line somewhere, the state seizing celebrity related objects seems over the line to me. She didn't wear it at the signing of a treaty or something, so you just have to rely on owners seeing the worth in what they own.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Multiple parties should've been at fault but Kim should've said no when it was clear body types don't fit.

Why was this even attempted considering that dress was customized for monroe, the hubris of some I swear.

What an unnecessary fuck up. Could've have had a replica done tailored for the body but people wanna skate uphill yada yada yada.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I think you have to draw the line somewhere, the state seizing celebrity related objects seems over the line to me. She didn't wear it at the signing of a treaty or something, so you just have to rely on owners seeing the worth in what they own.

I actually don't have any sympathy for people wilfully aiding in the damage/destruction of our shared collective cultural history. If you can't be proper custodians of it, then you don't deserve to keep it.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
All of this…..like what the fuck? The idolization of a fucking a dress is SUPER weird by everyone.
How it is idolization lol.

It's a cultural artifact. Dresses like these are preserved in museums all the time. Y'all super wacky.

Value is also in the eye of the beholder here. Ripley's won a 5M auction for that dress. And they made a dumb idea loaning it.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Another difference is that one is part of an historic and iconic moment that has been redone in media dozens of times and Happy Birthday Mister President is known by multiple generations...and the other one is a video game.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
In 50 years some rich trillionaire is going to stretch out Miley Cyrus's thong from the Wrecking Ball video, and a bunch of people who haven't been born yet are going to be pissed.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
All of this…..like what the fuck? The idolization of a fucking a dress is SUPER weird by everyone.

I mean, people are getting upset about a model of a spaceship in the same thread.

People assign value and worth to things depending on what they mean to them.

That dress is significant to some people. It was destroyed by some moron. People be mad.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
I actually don't have any sympathy for people wilfully aiding in the damage/destruction of our shared collective cultural history. If you can't be proper custodians of it, then you don't deserve to keep it.

Someone is going to need to judge what qualifies an item for that to happen, trying to give the president the horn in public is a pretty low bar to make something important enough for the state to seize.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
In 50 years some rich trillionaire is going to stretch out Miley Cyrus's thong from the Wrecking Ball video, and a bunch of people who haven't been born yet are going to be pissed.
Not really. No President was involved in that. Context matters.

Marilyn Monroe was also more iconic than Cyrus ever was or will be.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

This is about where I stand on it or how much I can muster to care about things either way. It the dress was so precious maybe don't lend it out to people to wear?

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
no use in blaming kim, they know what her body looks like. they know what the dress looks like. they loaned it out to her and did what they could to force her body into it. clearly it wasnt that important if they were fine with ruining it.

this is a lesson we expect young children to learn. if something is valuable to you then you take proper care of it and keep it from harm
You know who else knows what her body is like? Kim. Unless she has the exact same measurements she should not have worn it.

OP
OP
SAINT_

SAINT_

Banned
Oct 4, 2020
Yep, you can actually hear the crystals falling off when they were trying to squeeze her into the dress in the clip I posted earlier.

Everyone involved in this should be ashamed.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh, I don't think this is Kim K's fault at all. This is the fault of a private entity holding a historical artifact.

This is no different from Jeff Bezos buying the original movie prop of the Enterprise and putting into Blue Origin's cafeteria.
You know some idiot is going to spill coffee on it someday.

0SnTejwl.jpg

He did what? Fucking rich ppl...

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting to compare the meaning of the destruction of this dress with that of this painting or that monument.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh, I don't think this is Kim K's fault at all. This is the fault of a private entity holding a historical artifact.

This is no different from Jeff Bezos buying the original movie prop of the Enterprise and putting into Blue Origin's cafeteria.
You know some idiot is going to spill coffee on it someday.

0SnTejwl.jpg

Jesus, I knew he bought it, but it's not even behind glass...