• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inappropriate sexist commentary
Don't let someone wear something that people think have historical value maybe? Are people going to lend out an ancient Egyptian robe, or a crown of some English king?
It gave the president and a lot of old men really good boners. Probably strong enough to have altered some pants back in the day.

Its an insult to our history not to preserve that legacy.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if people see them differently because a dress is created with a utility value of being worn while a painting is just for people to look at. Does a dress count as art? they are both beautiful things created with intention in mind, does that the intentions are maybe different make a difference? Is a dress is historical, and a painting is historical, does that make them more similar than not? There is kind of an interesting conversation there.

My gut says that if people value it, it should not be being lent out and there would be an outcry if people had known it was in the care of someone who would lend it out. Like imagine if the Mona Lisa was able to be rented out to some rich person's dinner party, people would be furious and demand it went to a museum that wouldn't do that.

But I think that's where the status gets blurred - is it iconic American history or iconic American "junk food" history? I mean there's a reason why the dress was lent to Kim Kardashian of all people. Clearly there's some lowbrow tabloid culture association here.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Shouldn't have been given it to wear, then again I don't think every single item of moderate interest from the past is worth getting all het up about.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
To people saying "it's just a dress" it's also historical.

If I went to a museum and asked to try on an outfit from World War 2 or something I wouldn't be allowed and something like this should be in a museum too.
It's a cultural artifact.

Like I saw someone saying and king tuts tomb was just a box, the delereon from BTTF is just a car etc.

Like I don't personally care about the dress but I can see why some people do. It'd be great if we didnt just take a giant shit on something cause you don't care about it.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
This is a dumb argument to make. You're saying private art collectors don't exist? That anything NOT in a museum is by definition not art and has no value?
come on.

A private art collector would own the piece and can do whatever they want with it. Renting out 'art' to any celebrity with an ego and cash cheapens it completely.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
But I think that's where the status gets blurred - is it iconic American history or iconic American "junk food" history? I mean there's a reason why the dress was lent to Kim Kardashian of all people. Clearly there's some tabloid culture association here.
Yeah! That has been what I have been thinking of how to express, to some people I'm sure they hold this dress in super high regard, fashion designers or Marilyn historians for example, to them this is an important piece of history, but to the general pubic, probably not so much. And it does feel like there is some difference between this and a Van Gogh but I don't know how to articulate the difference.

Last edited:

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
maybe it was a historic, cultural artifact

but as soon as someone was allowed to wear it to a gala it became just another dress

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Owner: "Here, wear this 60 year old, fragile dress to a gala where you'll be wandering around bumping into people."

Also Owner: "WTF, I can't believe you've added wear and tear to this dress!"

Do what you want mate but don't complain when you lend delicate items to someone to wear if they don't come back in exactly the same condition.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Not a big deal. These boomer "culture" artifacts won't stand the test of time anyway. People acting like this was Wellington's coat or something.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Why would you do this. Why would you give the dress to LITERALLY ANYONE to wear

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
A private art collector would own the piece and can do whatever they want with it. Renting out 'art' to any celebrity with an ego and cash cheapens it completely.

So now you're saying the validity of art is dependent on the person who owns it/ how they manage it and not the work itself? You're grasping at straws here.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
It's a cultural artifact.

Like I saw someone saying and king tuts tomb was just a box, the delereon from BTTF is just a car etc.

Like I don't personally care about the dress but I can see why some people do. It'd be great if we didnt just take a giant shit on something cause you don't care about it.
Cultural artifact...Come on.

Even placing this dress and a car from a movie on the same level as King Tut's tomb. I hope this is satire.

To clarify and not be as hostile: this is a dress worn by an actress who was active for a very short time. It's not a special dress, there's no methodology that can be attributed to this dress, the materials are 'common', there's nothing cultural or historical to learn from it. Its only special attribute is that an actress wore it 60 years ago.

I was going to use an example of people freaking out in 50 years if someone wears the Captain America suit from The Avengers and it shows some wear and tear afterwards, but yeah... some people here probably would freak out.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2019
For those wondering about why Ripley's has the dress in the first place. They outbid the Smithsonian and several other Museums when it went on auction.

What gets me is that anyone else would have told Kim to just wear the duplicate she had made to her size. Additionally the ONLY reason she wore this is because she screwed up on the last assignment for the met and so this is a redo of that.

Also, also, fuck whoever in the Met doesn't fund their costumes and historic clothing department properly.

Abby cox did a great video on why dresses like this need to be preserved.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
A one-of-a-kind dress, crafted by hand using techniques passed down literal generations, for arguably one of the most famous people of all time.

Nope, not a cultural artifact at all.

cDNA

Oct 25, 2017
If the dress was supposed to historically relevant to be conserved, she should have wear a replica of it not the Original. Very dumb considering the main purpose of the Met Gala is to raise funds to the Costume Institute that works preserves costumes pieces.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
If preserving this was so important they probably shouldn't have given it as a toy to be used by a rich person. Evidentially, the people in control of the dress don't actually care that much.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
A one-of-a-kind dress, crafted by hand using techniques passed down literal generations, for arguably one of the most famous people of all time.

Nope, not a cultural artifact at all.
Fine, I didn't know about the special hand techniques. But is it the only dress made like that? Is the technique lost? That might change things.

And Marilyn Monroe is absolutely not one of the most famous people of all time. Come on, zoom out on your cultural lens for even a second.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
It sounds like Kim simply became obsessed with the dress. Talk about greed. Blegh.

But yeah whoever gave the OK is at fault here. Or I guess both are. Chicken or the egg.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why people think it's one parties' fault and not the others.

Both are to blame.

The greedy ass Ripley owners who just wanted to make a quick buck.

Kim for her weirdass obsession with the dress.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure how something like this was allowed. Not even Indiana Jones memeing, that should really be locked away in a museum. How much did she pay to wear it. Ripleys owner is equally to blame for destroying it

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The idea of loaning this out in a manner where you can't control the conditions kind of puts this on whoever allowed her to wear this in the first place.

Anything could have happened while someone was wearing this dress to an event. The move should have been to not loan it out.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
fbdB9A0.png

Honey, that thing was ruined the minute it went on you.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
So now you're saying the validity of art is dependent on the person who owns it/ how they manage it and not the work itself? You're grasping at straws here.
Not arguing with you here, it's just an interesting conversation, but it's never really the work itself right? I don't think things are usually made inherently having historic value in a vacuum, people collectively confer value onto it. If the people responsible for the item are pretty cavalier with it, doesn't that denote to some degree how valuable it is? Using the previous example, the Mona Lisa isn't going to be lent out to any dinner parties. There are probably entire committees or preservation groups for some historical artifacts

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Fine, I didn't know about the special hand techniques. But is it the only dress made like that? Is the technique lost? That might change things.

And Marilyn Monroe is absolutely not one of the most famous people of all time. Come on, zoom out on your cultural lens for even a second.

My cultural lens? Oh, I'm no Monroe stan.

But I don't have to be one. The level of Marilyn's fame and notoriety, especially after her death, is pretty hard to deny.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Why would anyone let her wear it? If it's because she gave you a lot of money then you certainly couldn't have cared that much about the state of the dress.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Hi everyone just stoping in to say WhO cARes?

Seriously though, what a dumb thing to do. At least a famous person's name will be forever attached to the damage instead of some rando.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
As always, there is a socioeconomic aspect to this - billionaires/millionaires get special treatment and it'll never fail to piss me off.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
people have such a hate boner for anything the kardashians do(not saying some isnt deserved) that they'll just use this as an excuse to rail against kim, when its really the owners' fault and most people who are bitching about this wouldnt give a fuck normally

I'm sure that some people will find that Kim K was leaving her mark on history as is deserved of someone with her level of fame and historical significance.