• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Don't let someone wear something that people think have historical value maybe? Are people going to lend out an ancient Egyptian robe, or a crown of some English king?

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Ya who ever okee it is the one who should be blamed

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I almost felt a pang of sympathy for her with the wording of the article, that the fabric was "stretched and buckled" then I snapped out of it and shifted my symphathies to the dress that when it was given back the seat of it probably smelt of Kardashian farts too, just to add insult to injury.

D:

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
I just can't believe its available "for rent" or whatever in the first place. I'm not really that put off about it. I know people want to use this as a thing to attack Kim Kardashian or whatever for being a dress-wrecking slob or whatever and that's up to them, but to me its like if they wanted to be all precious about the dress and preserve it as it originally was, then why not put it in a museum or something, instead of letting people wear a 60+ year old dress.

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously? He owns that? It's not just being loaned? Fuck him.
seriously not protected in any way, just open air on a stand next to a fireplace
even if fuckin George in marketing doesn't trip and smash the saucer off, shit is going to deteriorate much faster than it needs to under that kind of "care"
smithsonian keeps the original in a climate controlled case with shades that block it from getting too much sun/UV
eat the rich

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh, I don't think this is Kim K's fault at all. This is the fault of a private entity holding a historical artifact.

This is no different from Jeff Bezos buying the original movie prop of the Enterprise and putting into Blue Origin's cafeteria.
You know some idiot is going to spill coffee on it someday.

0SnTejwl.jpg

Holy crap! At the very least put that thing in a glass case.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
There's so many different layers there that everyone just comes across looking stupid.

Why did Kim want to wear that dress so badly? Why not just use your money and have a new one made that actually FITS you? Why do an insane weightloss regime and try to fit into a what...60 some year old dress?

I don't understand why...was it Ripleys who had it?...why did they loan an item like that out?

I really don't get people who are like "who cares" or "its just a dress"....like yeah it is. Its a historical piece of clothing from an iconic figure. Why do we have museums? Why do we keep clothing from other famous actors/musicians/historical icons? Because they're important threadlines to those people.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
So weird that we celebrate this as an iconic moment. Imagine the horrors when the hat that Kid Rock wore to the White House gets soiled.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I mean, I DO think some reactions to this are a bit over the top...

But the "It's just a dress" takes are also a bit reductive.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah no shit, putting on a dress that's 45 years old is probably going to fuck it up.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Imagine if someone had the Humpty hat from The Humpty Dance video and broke it with their watermelon skull?

😂

But yeah, I hope the people insisting this is just a dress don't own a single collectable that they refuse to take out of its original packaging.

Jasonofindy

Oct 27, 2017
If she was going for a famous dress with ties to a president, maybe Monica Lewinsky's famous Clinton dress would have fit Kim Kardashian better than Marilyn Monroe's famous Kennedy dress?

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inappropriate inflammatory comparison. History of similar behavior
I mean most people would see that news say wow and move on with their lives because yes it is just a paper with oil painted on it.
Rarely do you see someone agree with ISIS that it's OK to destroy history that you don't particularly care about. Bold stance.

DirtySprite3

Banned
Sep 13, 2019
Thinly veiled Kim Kardashian hate thread. Dress was 60 yrs old wtf did they expect. Design of dress sucks anyways, Kim shouldn't of wasted her time with this.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
[some pratt damages van Gogh's Stary Night]

"Guys, it's only a piece of paper with oil painted on it."
I wonder if people see them differently because a dress is created with a utility value of being worn while a painting is just for people to look at. Does a dress count as art? they are both beautiful things created with intention in mind, does that the intentions are maybe different make a difference? Is a dress is historical, and a painting is historical, does that make them more similar than not? There is kind of an interesting conversation there.

My gut says that if people value it, it should not be being lent out and there would be an outcry if people had known it was in the care of someone who would lend it out. Like imagine if the Mona Lisa was able to be rented out to some rich person's dinner party, people would be furious and demand it went to a museum that wouldn't do that.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Can the MET Gala just be a thigg BFF that goes away? Nothing screams more rich entitled douchebag than that.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
I wish I had saved that one Reddit post that outlined why this dress is so important. From what I remembered it was one of a kind, made specifically for Marylin Monroe, who even requested no one else be allowed to wear it shortly before she died. Lots of people are quick to dismiss it as 'just a dress' but fashion has a long history and this dress in particular was held in high regard it seems.

I mean, people got (rightly) upset when Kurt Russell accidentally demolished a 150 year old Martin guitar while filming a scene. I've watched countless videos of guitar collectors going over the historical relevance of some Les Paul or Stratocaster. A layman might say that they're just guitars or just a block of wood.

So it strikes me as odd that there are people that find it hard to understand why there are those who are upset at this. History is an incredibly broad subject and every beloved aspect of human culture has a long and rich history, and that includes fashion. If your local museum ever puts on an exhibit on the subject I'd encourage you to check it out. The ones I've been to have been fascinating.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
It's a dress at the end of the day and two beautiful women wore it. I get the sentiment butt, ehh no big whoop.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
So it strikes me as odd that there are people that find it hard to understand why there are those who are upset at this. History is an incredibly broad subject and every beloved aspect of human culture has a long and rich history, and that includes fashion. If your local museum ever puts on an exhibit on the subject I'd encourage you to check it out. The ones I've been to have been fascinating.

Primarily male-orientated gaming forum in diminishing of fashion shocker.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
"I don't care about this thing, so why do other people care" is a weird take. I don't care about many items, but I understand they have historical value and why people get upset when they're damaged. Like you don't have to care about fashion to understand why this many annoy people.