• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SAINT_

Banned
Oct 4, 2020
A Marilyn Monroe collector has claimed that "permanent damage" has been inflicted by Kim Kardashian on the iconic dress Monroe wore to serenade John F Kennedy on his 45th birthday, shortly before the actor's death.

Kardashian wore the gown to the Met Gala last month; photographs taken in the last week by Scott Fortner, a collector who works to authenticate and verify Monroe memorabilia, appeared to show stretched and buckled fabric and missing crystals on the back of the dress.

In the photos, posted to Instagram on Monday, rips, stretches and substantial wear and tear can be see on the dress, which also does seem to be missing some crystals with others "left hanging by a thread".

Kardashian donned the $4.8m crystal-covered nude silk gown to walk down the red carpet at the event in early May. She accessorised the garment with a white fur stole as she was unable to do the zipper up at the back.

The dress has been kept in a temperature-controlled environment since the tourist attraction bought it in 2016. It had not been worn by anyone between Monroe and Kardashian.

FVJyF6-VUAANdbV
FVJyF7oUsAAbqjZ

www.theguardian.com

Kim Kardashian accused of doing ‘permanent damage’ to Marilyn Monroe’s dress

The celebrity faces backlash after attending the Met Gala last month sporting the gown in which Monroe serenaded President Kennedy

What a damn shame. Kim didn't even do that dress justice, she looked terrible in it. 😔

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Did Kim Kardashian seriously look at a picture of Monroe and think: "Yes, we are the same size...."?

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I blame the people that OKed this, what nonsense

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I don't really care about the dress, but this is still some super egomaniacal shit.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Not saying that Kim Kardashian is in the right here, but whoever gave the OK for her to wear it is really at fault. Why on earth?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the OP is burying the lede on some of the weirder parts of this that the article gets into.

but also... it's kinda weird as hell to care so much about the dress to begin with

EDIT: ok yes now I understand the fashion history involved

will direct my "weird as hell" at kim + whoever decided she could wear it I guess

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ripley's Break it or Not

And yeah this is just common sense. Even if you comfortably fit in a 60+ year old piece of clothing it's going to take a lot of wear and tear even if only worn for a short period of time.

The last minute weight loss aspect only makes it more bizarre

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not an expert on women's figures by any means but they quite clearly have different measurements so I'm surprised they let her wear this in the first place?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Did Kim Kardashian seriously look at a picture of Madonna and think: "Yes, we are the same size...."?

well...

Article in OP said:
During a fitting more than a month before the gala, Kardashian realised her assumption that the gown would slip on was optimistic. "When it didn't fit me I wanted to cry because it can't be altered at all," she said.

She then undertook an extreme weight-loss regime to try and squeeze into the dress, which involved a vegetable-centric diet, lots of time on the treadmill and wearing a sauna suit twice a day. "It was such a challenge," she said. "It was like a role, I was determined to fit it."

Kardashian's programme met with criticism from healthcare professionals, while her apparently insatiable desire to wear a dead woman's dress also went down badly.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
Not saying that Kim Kardashian is in the right here, but whoever gave the OK for her to wear it is really at fault. Why on earth?
Yup, While I don't care for her, it's not solely her fault. She should have taken care of it but someone should have also noticed she doesn't have the same body type...

I mean when I wore Washington's Dentures, I made sure not to eat taffy.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Tbh, I don't think this is Kim K's fault at all. This is the fault of a private entity holding a historical artifact.

This is no different from Jeff Bezos buying the original movie prop of the Enterprise and putting into Blue Origin's cafeteria.
You know some idiot is going to spill coffee on it someday.

0SnTejwl.jpg

Last edited:

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I blame the people that OKed this, what nonsense
I agree with this.

They should have called it off when she could not fit into it.

"she accessorised the garment with a white fur stole as she was unable to do the zipper up at the back.

During a fitting more than a month before the gala, Kardashian realised her assumption that the gown would slip on was optimistic. "When it didn't fit me I wanted to cry because it can't be altered at all," she said."

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
To people saying "it's just a dress" it's also historical.

If I went to a museum and asked to try on an outfit from World War 2 or something I wouldn't be allowed and something like this should be in a museum too.

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh, I don't think this is Kim K's fault at all. This is the fault of a private entity holding a historical artifact.

This is no different from Jeff Bezos buying the original movie prop of the Enterprise and putting into Blue Origin's cafeteria.

yc1ZQyLokRPjpvjYOeyIcMXTkK9g_jUtt056ErC8_0I.jpg

that belongs in the smithsonian with the original enterprise, not fully exposed in some company lunchroom for some jackass to trip and smash a nacelle off with his hotdog
😔

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
The dress was already damaged before so I'm not really sure why the owner of the dress was ok with this.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
Nostalgia for Marilyn Monroe seems like some boomer shit. I wouldn't say it has any historical significance, so it's just a dress being used as a dress.

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
people have such a hate boner for anything the kardashians do(not saying some isnt deserved) that they'll just use this as an excuse to rail against kim, when its really the owners' fault and most people who are bitching about this wouldnt give a fuck normally

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
It's less Kim's fault and more the museum's fault. She's a celebrity who people rarely say no to. They're a museum meant to preserve things. If you're a museum who can be swayed into something like this for money or for clout, you're pretty shit at the act of preservation.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota

yc1ZQyLokRPjpvjYOeyIcMXTkK9g_jUtt056ErC8_0I.jpg
Seriously? He owns that? It's not just being loaned? Fuck him.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Im shocked that no one thought for more than 10 seconds that this was a terrible idea

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't want something to experience wear and tear maybe... don't let someone wear it? Especially if they're having trouble fitting into it.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
people have such a hate boner for anything the kardashians do(not saying some isnt deserved) that they'll just use this as an excuse to rail against kim, when its really the owners' fault and most people who are bitching about this wouldnt give a fuck normally
I mean if she wanted to wear the dress but realised she wasn't going to fit in it she could have just changed her mind or wore a designer replica, not destroy it. It's avarice and massive ego so I'm not sure why people are saying it's not her fault at all

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I mean if she wanted to wear the dress but realised she wasn't going to fit in it she could have just changed her mind or wore a designer replica, not destroy it. It's avarice and massive ego so I'm not sure why people are saying it's not her fault at all
oh absolutely. sorry i should say, its not ENTIRELY her fault
again, why did they even loan it to her in the first place? the whole thing is stupid

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah as others have stated, the dress owner is a fucking clown. That said, the entire Kardashian family is a cancer on humanity. Fuck every single one of them.