• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The jump to next-gen is going to be less about graphical fidelity and more about how games are made behind-the-scenes and how game information is read (aka "faster loading", "larger worlds", etc.)

That said, Killzone: Shadow Fall is definitely a game that you could show a trailer of TODAY and have people's mouth's drop.
ImaginarySinfulAkitainu-size_restricted.gif

34184.gif

2013-01-23_l

Jan 11, 2018
When do we think we will have the - Holy shit this is next gen moment? I remember being gobsmacked at the reveal and tbf this looks visually stunning even today and honestly it does not look far behind anything shown for current gen so far

2771401-3044052185-23717.gif

When do you think we will have that next gen moment? Or do people disagree and think what we have been shown so far look far beyond the above gif?

Those of us not impressed with flashy CGI cutscenes have already had it in Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.

But in terms of cutscenes, I'd say both Horizon 2 and Hellbalde 2 surpass this KZ one pretty easily.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Killzone looked ridiculous at the time, it's a shame the game was bad.
I think the impact of next gen will mostly be felt at home. Higher resolutions and HDR pop way better on a good screen rather than a YouTube video.

I think Horizon might be a game that proves me wrong and just looks outlandish though.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
The video posted right before you is from the game lol, it did look gorgeous, lets not act like it didn't. Shadowfall was an awful game but it was an beauty
i think the cut scenes and the actual gameplay scenes differ.
i might be wrong, but it was more of some seamless cgi, but still on big tvs, you were able to spot the difference.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Great visuals, bland game. Remember getting this at launch and enjoyed it, but was still disappointed especially with the 2nd half of the game.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Last gen Sony has Killzone and MS had Ryse, two games I have zero desire to ever actually play, but which did a great job of showing what the consoles can do. The prevalence of cross-gen stuff this gen has made it so it feels like that hasn't really happened. The only purely next-gen game we've gotten significant gameplay from is Ratchet, which looks great, and I can definitely see some complexity in the reflections that looks like it couldn't previously have been done, as well as the snappy loads (though it's a little disappointing the portals have to take you to the warp zone for a second or two before the new area, instead of literally being able to look through the portal into another world and step back and forth through it instantly), but less realistic styles never show off graphics as well.

But we may just be at a point of diminishing returns where it gets harder and hard to wow with this stuff. 4K is nice, but isn't the eye-opener that the first wave of HD was. Ray-tracing is great, but devs had gotten really good at faking lighting so it's not as mind-blowing as it could be. Character models and environments will look better (as evidenced by that Horizon trailer) but Horizon 1 already looked really good, so it feels like less of a leap. It's not like the first time you saw that Killzone trailer and immediately knew a PS3 could never have rendered that glass skyscraper, or when you saw Ryse and knew that a 360 couldn't have modeled armor or faces like that. It's way harder to point to stuff now and immediately feel certain that was previously impossible, at least not for a layman who can't immediately spot what rendering technique is being used.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
R&C was a pretty good "where we're going we dont need roads" Which is what next gen needs to be not more "look at the hair".

Say it once say it again. Ac Unity was the most impressive game i played pretty much the entire gen. Yeah, it was prebaked, but the Global illumination was next level. Fucking clouds would block the sun real time. Hasn't been done again, that ive noticed at least.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
We have it already with Ratchet.

I don't think we do. It looks good, but the realm jumping stuff happens at predetermined set piece moments and still has noticeable hickup on transition. Again, it looks really good but I'm not getting that next gen feeling from it.

When Geoff said how cool realm transitioning was and asked how the player would do that themselves, the response was 100% about the 'fractures' you pull yourself towards. Realm transitioning is effectively a 'out of player hands' moment which makes it dramatically less impressive.

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
as far as I can tell (not an expert), this is a scene that has static lighting prebaked into the scene... it looks great but i don't think it is dynamic. The difference maker next gen is dynamic GI/ray tracing for lighting and shadows. Also texture quality should be much higher quality due to the speed of the SSD pulling all those assets in

HylianMaster2020

alt account
Banned
Jun 30, 2020
Frustrating to hear that not one game has surpassed Killzone Shadowfall why would OP say that? It blew people's minds but cmon man

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Personally speaking, R & C A Rift Apart was that moment but it was robbed of its spectacle during its virgin showing owing to:
  • 1080p30fps stream which featured some of the ugliest macroblocking compression artefacts.
  • 7th to 8th gen's progression was marked by PBR, which like polygons, revolutionized how textures/materials in the world are portrayed. Going from 8th to 9th, the features are more detailed oriented and do not necessarily show as readily as aforementioned example.
Also:

While the scope of the game decidedly different and its very nature necessitates lack of micro-details unlike tradition on-foot titles, on the whole, it looks stunning.

MeepMerp

Alt Account
May 2, 2020
The most next gen game I've seen is that Wukong game. Nothing else compares to the scale they showed off. It's probably all fake but I'll remain optimistic.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That moment is likely gone for a lot of folks. Graphical fidelity is too incremental of a change for a lot of people to be wholly taken aback anymore. We've had a ton of graphical comparison threads where most folks end up arguing over aesthetic differences rather than purely technical ones, which I think is a pretty rad place for games to be.

I'll just say on a personal level Microsoft Flight Sim 2020 is the most impressive and 'big leap' type game in a very long time. Aside from it looking very nice, having the entire Earth represented (mostly accurate) in a videogame is mind blowing to me.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A trailer made by 320p .gifs, perhaps.
In-game that zone is a pop-in, blurry IQ and bad volumetrics fest.

Er, if you say so. I still think it looks impressive at 1080p, has really good IQ, and the volumetric stuff was better handled than most games (even if I did detect some mild shadow pop). This isn't a janky Bethesda game. The game looked great 7 years ago and it still looks great today, especially for a launch title on brand new hardware that the devs weren't familiar with yet.

I mean, you STILL have people claiming that the stuff shown off in that game was just expensive CGI cutscenes and not, you know, real-time, in-game graphics.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the problem is two fold.

1) We have games targeting native 4k leaving A LOT of performance on the table. It's why you are seeing so many games get 60 fps modes. Going from 1440p/4kcb to native 4k uses around half of the GPU so these games are technically built using 5 tflops of the 10 tflops available if you think about it. The other 5 tflops are used for rendering the game with 2x more pixels.
2) The biggest upgrade for next gen is in the SSD and the CPU. This will allow for denser worlds with more dynamic foliage, destruction, NPCs and as you saw yesterday, you can only show that off in extended gameplay demos. Games need time to breathe. That KZSF shot wouldnt have been as impressive if we saw it in a fancy trailer with dozens of quick shots.

Despite all of the above, i think Horizon looks pretty spectacular. Especially the gif below. It wouldve had a far bigger impact had they released a long 8-10 minute demo like they did for KZSF and opened with this shot instead of closing their cinematic trailer with it.
Jf78Rfd.gif

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think we do. It looks good, but the realm jumping stuff happens at predetermined set piece moments and still has noticeable hickup on transition. Again, it looks really good but I'm not getting that next gen feeling from it.

When Geoff said how cool realm transitioning was and asked how the player would do that themselves, the response was 100% about the 'fractures' you pull yourself towards. Realm transitioning is effectively a 'out of player hands' moment which makes it dramatically less impressive.

That doesn't really say anything about how technically impressive it is. Loading up a level of the detail shown anywhere near as fast as that is simply not possible this gen. The realm shifting is easily as impressive from the perspective of technical advancement as KZ SF was. I mean visually though KZ Shadowfall was already surpassed in Horizon though.

The most next gen game I've seen is that Wukong game. Nothing else compares to the scale they showed off. It's probably all fake but I'll remain optimistic.

I don't really see the scale as being particularly impressive...I mean the landscapes in the Horizon 2 footage looked more interesting artistically and had longer draw distance with impressive LoD. But that is not surprising, as the Wukong game looks more akin to GoW. I agree it looks very impressive, just that the scale isn't particularly so.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Horizon 2 is that moment. I am sure the game will look very close to the trailer. Guerilla are really good with graphics.
Ratchet & Clank also looks fantastic.

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018
Er, if you say so. I still think it looks impressive at 1080p, has really good IQ, and the volumetric stuff was better handled than most games (even if I did detect some mild shadow pop). This isn't a janky Bethesda game. The game looked great 7 years ago and it still looks great today, especially for a launch title on brand new hardware that the devs weren't familiar with yet.

No need for Youtube video.
I've played the game. :)

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
If all I get is late PS4 Pro visuals at 4K with loading as fast as R&C I'm more than happy, as someone who spent days in front of loading screens this gen, especially as I don't get much time to game normally nowadays due to work & family, I'll be glad just getting those hours as playtime this coming gen.

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
When my RTX 3090 is able to run Cyberpunk at 60fps, 1440p with raytracing on.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
How much gameplay have we seen from AAA games on PS5/XSX? I can't think of much honestly besides R&C. We've seen in engine cutscenes from stuff like Horizon and yeah GG have the technical chops that I don't think anyone should wonder, but the whole thing is just strange.

When my RTX 3090 is able to run Cyberpunk at 60fps, 1440p with raytracing on.

Cyberpunk isn't even a next gen game. Although I would question anyone playing on PS4/XB1, I can't imagine it'll be all that performant.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That doesn't really say anything about how technically impressive it is. Loading up a level of the detail shown anywhere near as fast as that is simply not possible this gen. The realm shifting is easily as impressive from the perspective of technical advancement as KZ SF was. I mean visually though KZ Shadowfall was already surpassed in Horizon though.

Sure, but the question was if we achieved that 'next gen moment', which at the end of the day comes down to player 'surprise' at the ability to have something in a game that wasn't possible before. The realm transitioning might very well be technically impressive but they don't make me 'feel' like that wasn't possible before, simply due to the on rails nature of the transitios. Being able to swap between universes instantly at will but blow my mind however.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Horizon 2 is that moment. I am sure the game will look very close to the trailer. Guerilla are really good with graphics.
Ratchet & Clank also looks fantastic.
Guerilla really are wizards. Shadow Fall was the best-looking next-gen game I saw prior to console launch back then, and Horizon 2 is the best-looking next-gen game prior to console launch for me currently.

1b8af5a6703afc45ef566d3dbeb144b76f1a16c5.gifv

3c50fce6e851494cb85139b915f120caf4bfe55f.gifv

No need for Youtube video.
I've played the game. :)
I'd tell you to replay the game, but so have I, and for all its beauty, it ain't great.

I'm happy they've moved on to bigger, better things.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
KZ Shadow Fall still looks amazing in some parts. Played it months ago for the first time and it made me surprise to see those graphics in a game from 7 years ago.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Sure, but the question was if we achieved that 'next gen moment', which at the end of the day comes down to player 'surprise' at the ability to have something in a game that wasn't possible before. The realm transitioning might very well be technically impressive but they don't make me 'feel' like that wasn't possible before, simply due to the on rails nature of the transitios. Being able to swap between universes instantly at will but blow my mind however.

They must do this in the game. Maybe you might just warp to predetermined points in the other worlds, but they need to give you that ability eventually. Would be limiting otherwise, and it is technologically feasible obviously

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They must do this in the game. Maybe you might just warp to predetermined points in the other worlds, but they need to give you that ability eventually. Would be limiting otherwise, and it is technologically feasible obviously

From what I've seen so far, and the way they talked around Geoffs question, I don't think this will be part of the game.