• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
When do we think we will have the - Holy shit this is next gen moment? I remember being gobsmacked at the reveal and tbf this looks visually stunning even today and honestly it does not look far behind anything shown for current gen so far

2771401-3044052185-23717.gif

When do you think we will have that next gen moment? Or do people disagree and think what we have been shown so far look far beyond the above gif?

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
It's amazing what CGI cut scenes can do.

Edit: As pointed out, this is real time. CGI was the wrong word used. My bad. I was meaning to imply the quality shown at reveal doesn't always match the actual product. See video comparison. Obviously, the game looks great. But I wouldn't argue that it looks as good as next gen games.

But again, I said CGI, which is flat out wrong. This was real time, just not representative on final product. Which I should have said.

Edit 2: Realized that I never answered OPs question... I'd say Horizon 2 had a very strong showing. Also, Hell blade 2 looked fantastic. Flight simulator literally looks real and I have a hard time distinguishing between real life and the game sometimes.

Last edited:

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Ratchet & Clank was my holy shit moment for next gen, I think. It's so much more than just visuals this time around.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Killzone Shadowfall was not that impressive if you have seen Crysis 3 running on high-end PC one year before KZ.

Also, R&C looks good enough.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
That gif looks incredible. I personally haven't seen a huge jump in graphics for this coming Gen yet. But that shmup Cygni looks next Gen to me. I get the same excitment for the new generation vibes from this, that Resogun gave me when ps4 launched.

Last edited:

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I think some of the NextGen games suffer a lot from the 1080p streams, side by side 4k should look like a big step up.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Eh...Horizon 2 and R&C impressed me as much for the time as that. And visually, it doesn't hold up to those two at all.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Maybe not visually, but seeing how fast the loading and seamless the game is in the ratchet and clank gameplay gets me way more hyped them 'look at how pretty this is' Im just at that point where im sick of 'crawling through vents' or going through elevators to hide loading

Next gen for me is all about performance enhances. The SSD etc will vastly improve playing experience all whilst looking great at 4K or 60FPS.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah...it's aged incredibly well. Masterclass in design I guess more than anything but...

...can you imagine how good this particular scene would look built from the ground up for PS5? It would be astonishing.

Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart is the furthest we've got from the current generation. It looks really bloody good but it still doesn't have the impact of this Killzone scene. Maybe it's just too charming for it's own good!

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
I hope Miles Morales is that for me whenever we see gameplay. So far I have been not impressed by either MS or Sony in the graphics department.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing Killzone 3 right now and honestly even that game looks really good. Guerrilla wizards etc.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
When do we think we will have the - Holy shit this is next gen moment? I remember being gobsmacked at the reveal and tbf this looks visually stunning even today and honestly it does not look far behind anything shown for current gen so far

When do you think we will have that next gen moment? Or do people disagree and think what we have been shown so far look far beyond the above gif?
the real game looks nothing like this.
shadow fall was a weak killzone game.

i agree with you, i did not have a next-gen-moment so far for ps5/xsx, but iam excited to witness the leap between the launch games and the last games which will be released at the end of the ps5 lifetime...

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It's real time but scripted , not playable, etc etc... Ratchet not only looks better, you're actually playing that shit and with a free camera.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Flight Simulator was first shown over a year ago lol. We've had our first look at actual next gen a while ago.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
On PS5 shadow fall will finally be 60 fps. At 1080p but still a massive improvement over base ps4.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad they've moved on to Horizon. The gameplay is SO much better while still being a visual showcase.

also I feel like because we are moving to 4K, the graphical upgrades won't be so crazy as from PS360 to PS4/XBO. Games will just be more often in native 4k resolution with some improved graphics, but it's not going to be a revelation for 1080p TV owners.

Im more looking forward to the spacial audio, better HDR, ray tracing, and what they can do with extremely improved HDD I/O speeds.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It looks amazing and still holds up today, as it looks comparable to games from today despite being a launch title from 2013. Launch titles this gen fared a lot better than previous gen (Ryse is the same). That said you can indeed tell that it is a current gen title and it won't really be comparable to next gen games.

2jljn1w.jpg
mHhkvJu.jpg
zgXmNp2.jpg

You think that looks comparable to flight simulator?

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Did you watch the full Ratchet demo in 4K? Looks bonkers.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA

I'm being slightly facetious, but there's no way 10-year-old me would've believed that an eight-rig 3D-racing arcade setup would one day receive a 1:1 translation to a portable system, for all eight rigs on the same hardware.