• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
Thread is meant for Killzone Fans

Ok, hear me out. The Killzone series has had a bad omen or goodwill from people for some reason (probably that E3 2006 Target Render - which looks like shit now) even though out of the 6 games in the franchise, 4 were received really well; with KZ2 being the pinnacle of the series. Since the first reveal of actual gameplay of Killzone 2, we knew we had something deep and special in terms of narrative that was executed really terribly none other than through the eyes of likeable "soldiers" Jan and Sev (fuck Rico). Killzone is mainly about propaganda and power with tons of gray areas to explore. I don't think that playing as soldiers can justify such a rich and expansive story because they only take orders.

Depending on your perspective, playing as the ISA puts you in ambiguous moral clout where I personally have always questioned if the motivations have been correct but I have read the backstory unlike many other individuals, who will be passive at best. I don't want to question the average gamer but I don't believe they get that vested in a world of FPS with complex narratives and KZ:SF is proof of that, hence it becomes a niche product. But then there is Halo that also covers complex ideas and it does well. I wonder subjectively if Killzone has just been a recipient of hate due to it being dubbed the "Halo Killer" a long time back when there were no intentions for it to be such or why people say its clunky to play when every game is supposed to be unique and not a floaty avatar.

I personally think they should retcon KZ:SF as a "what if" scenario (though its probably dumb cannon now) and continue the reboot with the "First ExtraSolar War" and build up Visari, Radec and other more memorable Helghan characters vs. UCN & ACISA. Things that Guerilla could expand on are exactly these areas:

- Moral Gray Choices (like in Witcher 3 or Spec Ops)
- Separate ISA/VSA/UCN and Helghan Campaigns
- Focus on world building and its political drama (this is what I most enjoy about the series)
- Rogue factions or Splinter groups empathetic to the other side
- The idea that there are power vacuums in Helghan and actual provinces in Vekta who don't see eye to eye with what UCN did; being terrible to Helghans.
- Make it M rated and explore the gritty side of war without impunity
- Semi or Open world experience (I don't know what's best, I am not a game developer)

When you look at Horizon, you look at all these tribes/world elements and to be honest, Killzone could have done so much if they brought in more choice for the player in this context. If Vekta and Helghan are as big as the moon I would understand this 1 united army mentality from both ends, but if they are proper worlds, there is so much more going on economically and socially. Maybe we might finally decide, why playing as the ISA invaders is always being pushed down our throats and justified or why the Helghans are considered "bad guys" and killing them won't make us feel empathy for them (here's a great article by Jim Sterling who apparently also loves the lore of KZ). I don't think it was done well in KZ: M even though most loved it.

As far as MP goes, just freaking make a super refined version of KZ2 MP. You don't need to look for anything further than the perfection it already was. Can't wait to snipe your asses with this again while under cloak! (I'm aware you don't lose your head in MP). Guerilla has the talent, the time and the resources to do this after Horizon being the mega-hit that it is and give Killzone the justice it deserves.

03-620x.jpg

21mtem8.gif

Tl;dr new game should be focused on events before Killzone 1 which plays through the buildup of the Helghast and UCN/ACISA while giving players the choice of morality issues.

Last edited:

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Man, this thread just reminded me how much I love Killzone. Games are so fucking good. I think they are incredibly underated.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I still really liked Shadow Fall but it should go back to the more gritty and darker world war 2 in space setting. The events before Killzone 1 could actually work.

And yes, I really hope we get a new one someday. We need the campaign quality and ragdoll physics of 2, the multiplayer of 3 and better characters and story. The great lore around the series has to be more present in the game itself and not only on their website. I am not even asking for it to be a RPG. Just make it a linear, cinematic shooter again with great encounter design and weapon feeling and great multiplayer modes.

Deleted member 54320

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
I would love for Killzone to make a comeback. I always enjoyed the somewhat "grounded" war zone which was Killzone 1, 2 and also 3.

Killzone Shadow Fall just did not do it for me. The whole aesthetic of that game was too futuristic for me which sounds daft but I just did not like the way that game looked.

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017
I've never been a fan of how they played, but I really love the spaced-out WWII aesthetic of the first three games. I'd love to see a return to that with better campaigns.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
This is where I'd put my new Killzone by Guerilla Cambridge...if they still existed

hqdefault.jpg

Mercenary was great and that team could have made a great PS4 title while Guerilla are making Horizon 2

Oct 27, 2017
This was my idea for how it should return:

You know what would be cool for Killzone?

A sequel to Killzone Mercenary. Picture this:

-A very decision-based story that changes depending on what contracts you take from different sides and results in different endings. This could enable tons of replayabilty.
-Levels that could be done in many different ways and are huge. Something like Dishonored would be really cool.
-The economy. Buying different and unique guns/gadgets that are fun to use.
-CO OP. Imagine tackling missions with friends in a similar way to Payday 2. This could be a side mode that doesn't affect the campaign and is done purely for quick fun.
-New Game Plus. Anything you unlock can be used anytime you want no matter if you start a new playthrough.
-MP modes based on Killzone 2.

Some of these were already done in Mercenary but a Mercenary 2 that does these could make for something really cool.

It is a bit similiar to your idea.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
With the success of HZ:ZD I can't see GG working on another KZ for a long time, if ever..

KZ2 remake would be good.

Nov 21, 2017
Cory Barlog returned to Santa Monica to semi reboot God of War and revitalize the franchise. Simon Larouche is about to do the same with Killzone

Captain_Raoul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They've learned so much with Horizon. I can see a reboot happening for the PS5. Damn i can't even imagine how that will look like!

This scene is still some of the coolest moments in gaming for me.

2771401-3044052185-23717.gif

nashman1313

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
100% Guerilla will have a game at PS5 launch. Will most likely be HZD2 though. Its just a safer bet. HDZ deservidly sold so well. Now they put out 2 games this Gen so we could see Killzone maybe mid next Gen.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018

Oops.

post-7395-1226855228.gif

Killzone 2 was the best game of the series gameplay wise and with its visual aesthetics it still holds up against games this gen.
Plus the MP was one I could play for hours unlike ones this gen.

If they ever bring the series back to need to take a look at what they did right with two. Improve on it and add to it. They can make it work.

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
The Killzone timeline got so much going on. The dirty militia stuff is a mere facet. I'd love to see more from the universe.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
I am all aboard OP, give me a KZ game that is dark and has the KZ2 heavy feeling, pre KZ1 and im buying it day one. Wanna see Visari's rise to power. As for the MP, make it a 30 vs 30 warzone and I'll be a happy as f*ck.

Evergarden

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Visari's daughter is still alive and they might continue the story from there. But IMO Killzone 2 remake will make wonders. Just bring Radec back.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'd be down for another game. Shadow Fall had solid gameplay but the story and characters were disappointing, a big downgrade from the original crew. I'd like to see Rico and the others make a return.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really love the art design in the Killzone games, yet I would like a complete reboot set in the universe but this time actually using the vast lore and when already at it give the game a new name.

Or a similar fps linked to Horizon, actually witnessing the fall of man would be really cool.

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Isn't there untapped potential with the lore?

Like hints that the Helghast really aren't as bad as they seem?

I never finished any of the KZ games but I always found it interesting players would dissect info from it's lore that the two sides aren't so black and white.

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they'll get a new HZD out before this gen ends. Maybe they could then launch PS5 with a new KZ.

I miss KZ multi more than single player though. They could maybe release a F2P remake of KZ2 mp, or something that's a mix from the other games.

Nov 8, 2017
Killzone got 4 mainline entries and (and one spinoff in the same style as the mainline games). The brand value of a continuation is so-so. It's had plenty of time in the sun and letting it go to make way for other IPs is something that should happen to more long running series.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the series needs a reboot, really. Though one thing that could be very interesting is if they made an installment that took place in two separate time periods. Maybe it'd have levels that took place during KZ1 or 2/3 and then levels that took place after Shadow Fall, with you using a character that was part of what happened before and is now more instrumental for the current events. Either that or remake 1 or 2, though I think KZ1 is the game that would most benefit from a remake; they can just make a 4K port of 2 and 3, those games still look better than a lot of the stuff that's released nowadays.

Oct 2, 2018
I thought KZ 2 was amazing. Bridge assault was so atmospheric. I'd want another ultra grimey Killzone but it wont happen

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is Helghast are the most interesting thing in Killzone and I would love a full game from their perspective, unfortunately in current climate it would have been called promoting nazism.
I could not give a crap about another ISA campaign.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
The opportunity cost doesn't do it favors. Literally everything they can come up with is more differentiated in the market than Killzone.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After the closure of Cambridge Studio (which was the perfect studio for a new Killzone, after seeing and playing Killzone: Mercenary) the KZ IP is done. Imo it's time for a new FPS IP if Sony wants a new one. Guerrilla is doing the Horizon IP now. Yes, they are becoming bigger. It's still Horizon.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Doubt Guerilla wanna go back to it so soon. Feels like they just got off that treadmill.

mocolostrocolos

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'd love it to be done by Cambridge guys, imho their games are better than the mainline ones.

Liberation is one of the best portable games ever made.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Horizon is my game of the gen, but I too wouldn't mind if they made a new Killzone on PS5.

They should release a PS4VR trilogy remake with Aim Controller support and see how well it does, no need for GG to work on this either.

Loved KZ2 and 3 on PS3, the PS4 KZ was actually pretty good too. Never understood why the series is so much underrated compared to stuff like Halo 3, which I'm playing right now.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Mercs was great fun, Liberation or whatever, too. Fuck yeah, eat my shoulder-mounted rocket swarm, scum! The OWL in SF was nifty, but the overall campaign was not nearly as good as the handheld games. The others had some nice weight to everything, but not so great campaigns. The spec ops gal in the first was broken with her SMG.

Visually and regarding the setting all games where boss, from the blossoming trees in 1 to the oppressive darkness of 2 to the angry cat infiltrators in SF.

Mashing the best elements together and a good campaign - maybe with a story that uses the extremely cool setting properly - WOULD make a great game.

Will KZ get another try? Maybe from another studio than GG? Probably not. But personally, I'd buy a PS5 Mercs 2 no questions asked and another KZ game if it's decent and has amazing graphocs and atmosphere.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
They've learned so much with Horizon. I can see a reboot happening for the PS5. Damn i can't even imagine how that will look like!

This scene is still some of the coolest moments in gaming for me.

2771401-3044052185-23717.gif

Such a cool scene and "next-gen" moment!. To think this was a launch game. The mp in shadow fall was still good, sadly the sp fell short.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want a single player story mode. They have horizon for that.

I want a full game with only MP mode. KZSF multiplayer was awesome and still the best mp game I have played this gen.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
A Killzone that actually explores the politics of its universe would be pretty cool (beyond just two old guys yelling at/bitch slapping each other haha).

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Killzone 2 was my first Online MP. I've spent countless hours playing the game and to this day I consider it one of the best MP games ever. The campaign was also great BTW.