• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you a potential psychopath?

• Poochie gotta go

Votes: 261 15.0%
  • Save the doggos

Votes: 399 22.9%
  • it ain't that serious fam, they are only pixels

Votes: 1,245 71.5%

• Total voters

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck them dogs.

But seriously it's just a game. What's not a game is the fact that people value animal lives over human lives, shit's sad.

Nov 9, 2017
Réunion
I don't like to kill animals in games, especially when I have to hunt them. For example, I didn't do any hunt missions in GTA V. But I also don't like to play an evil character in an RPG if I have a choice, and I try not to run over the pedestrians in a GTA.

And about killing humans? Most of the time, they attack me, so it's just self defense. And sometimes, I just kill everything on sight.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I'm generally okay with doing whatever the game asks be done of digital wildlife, though I hate in Red Dead Online when you mortally wound a critter and it falls over after trying to get away and makes dying animal sounds. In regular Red Dead 2, you can mercy kill it without harming the pelt, but in Online, if that option is available at all, I've never seen it. You've either got to wait for the thing to noisily bleed out or ruin the pelt, going against the point of the kill in the first place.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing at all. Killing a dog in a game isn't like killing them in real life, they are just smaller and faster targets, making them annoying enemies.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Dont actually mind. I eat animals in real life, like dogs, pork, chicken meat. So basically i encourage people to murder more animals. So for something virtual, it is absolutely fine for me

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
I mean....

I've butchered animals as part of my job....so i dont have qualms about it digital or otherwise.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I'll kill animals that attack me, but not peaceful animals just trying to live. In BOTW I did no hunting.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Despite being a strict vegan in real life and a fervent promoter of soft-mobility, one of the most joyful gaming activities I had was to drive on biped homo-sapiens and others using two-heels vehicles in every GTA episodes, like a flipper with dummies.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Depends how the it's utilized across mediums. If animals are just displayed as viscous enemies all the time or as a tool for crafting like a checklist without remorse, I'm not going to feel any sympathy for killing them within the worlds. I can shoot any animal within most because of how they're represented. I've killed a few animals before and it's much harder for sure. An example of animals in mediums which made me feel was Chernobyl. People doing it out of necessity, you can feel that this isn't something they want to do and see the emotional reactions and that the puppy scene made me pause for a long while before I continued. It doesn't even show the deaths on screen which shows how powerful it was for me.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
If a Nazi guard dog comes at me ready to bite my nuts off, it will be put down in defence. If I see a random animal strolling about I leave it alone.

Unlike one of my game mates who in The Division for example shoots -everything- that moves cause some people are born with absolutely no empathy and are lunatics.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
I feel the it's just a game /pixels reponses are kinda...dumb. Yes, obviously everything in a video game / movie / comic etc isnt real but it can obviously still get somewhat of a reaction out of you. If a game like TLOU2 didn't affect you at all, there'd be no point in even playing it, because the entire thing is clearly built upon playing off your emotions.

Animal violence specifically doesn't really affect me that much though, for me it's basically the same as in real life in that if an animal attacks me, it's fair game.

Agreed. If you call it just pixels, feels like you're calling a lot of games highly acclaimed for their emotionally-affecting stories as silly as well.

I've never had any problems with hunting animals or killing them in games, but when you start humanising (?) them; for instance giving them character like the wolf in MGSV or Trico in TLG or even the horse in SOTC; and it sounds like TLOU2 is doing a tiny bit of that, then I'm going to hesitate to kill them.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
i love dogs in real life (frequently volunteer at the local dog shelter) but in video games, i treat all polygon dogs as Cujo. The hunting season is on and It's kill or be killed!

Mio

Oct 16, 2018
Normally I don't care, as you tend to not get involved with the animals/humans npc you can kill.

However, I remember in the first Fable game I played an evil character, at the end of the game I had the option to kill my sister to get more power.

I just refused, even if she was just an NPC I can't really kill my imaginary sister!

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Real answer, I generally try not to kill anything that can't fight back.... Even if they are gross slug people praying to a false god.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If they're an enemy, I kill them all. If they're just an unthreatening part of the world, like cats/dogs in GTA 5, I don't go out of my way to kill them but won't care if I accidentally hit one.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I don't mind it in RDR2, especially since you do it to feed your people or sell the carcass. Didn't have a problem with it in Horizon either.

It's good that they don't usually include cats and dogs in these games though, I don't know how I'd feel in that case.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
It's no different than killing ducks in duck hunt. I have no desire to kill ducks in real life or any other animals. Saying that if duck man drake showed up in real life I would fuck it up!

Last edited:

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I feel the it's just a game /pixels reponses are kinda...dumb. Yes, obviously everything in a video game / movie / comic etc isnt real but it can obviously still get somewhat of a reaction out of you. If a game like TLOU2 didn't affect you at all, there'd be no point in even playing it, because the entire thing is clearly built upon playing off your emotions.

Despite some glib responses in here, it's more nuanced than you made it out to be.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I remember when I accidentally shot one of the cats in AC Origins. I had to turn the game off I felt so guilty.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
I am always in awe when i see deer out in the wild, but in videogames, sorry buck you are my wallet now.

oDdDVIl.gif

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
It is just a game so I don't usually think much about it. Although I do find it kind of tasteless when developers throw in trophies or in game rewards for killing non aggressive animals.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
killing an innocent animal for no reason is obviously gross but if it happens by coincidence any systems interacting in unpredictable ways it can be kind of funny in the same way all of that kind of death is funny in a video game.

I don't relate at all to people who feel bad killing animals that are trying to kill them. unless its like 100 in 10 minutes, but that goes for human or alien or whatever enemies as well. combat cant feel too excessive and unrealistic, like it often does in mmos, or you start to feel like a death god.

anyways this is just to say anyone whos like "awww why do i have to kill this sweet 7 foot tall demon pupper with glowing fangs" seems crazy to me.

Sevacro

Oct 4, 2019
In the context of the game I don't feel anything at all. If the gameplay gives me the means to kill animals i'll do it since i play for fun, interacting with the game is fun, hence killing animals (and everything else) is fun.

Also why it's always about the animals and no one ever asks how do we feel about killing actual humans?

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
They are just pixels to me. In some games where there are background animals I sometimes get this somewhat morbid curiousity to see what reactions are programmed into the animals.

Examples.
There is a cat that does flips and dodges all your attacks in Metal Gear Rising.
In The Division dogs will stop, look at you and cower when you point your gun at them (they also don't drop loot, in case you were wondering)
In Monster Hunter Kelbi will drop a shiny/horn if you beat their heads with a blunt attack such as hammer or GS shoulder charge. If you otherwise attack them you can carve pelts off them but they never die, they always get up and run away.

No shame about having shot at most things in game to see a reaction. Also no shame in admitting I feel a bit guity when I see a realistic looking reaction of a hurt animal. Guess it is a good reminder that while they are pixels I myself still have feelings when I see these things.