• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you a potential psychopath?

• Poochie gotta go

Votes: 261 15.0%
  • Save the doggos

Votes: 399 22.9%
  • it ain't that serious fam, they are only pixels

Votes: 1,245 71.5%

• Total voters

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A chance to sing a reprise!

Doggy goes ruff
Sinks teeth into meat
My health drops to zero and the game's complete
I give a quick blink then my world
Is a Game Over Screeeeen

Look at this guy
His name is Earl
Majored in fine arts and sometimes paints squirrels
Found me snooping around and then thunk
Hatchet's in my braaaaaain

I've slain goombas and Koopas aplenty
I've ganked demons and spiders galore
Game's got zombie clods? I'll kill twenty.
'Cause who cares? No big deal! They'll spawn mooore!

If you're a dog made of binary
And you come at me, I'll remake Yeller
Walking around guided by...what's the term?
Code!

Goofing around, I don't get too far
Skills are required for jumping, strafing
Unless I'm using...what's that term?
God mode!

Don't care if they walk!
Don't care if they crawl!
Don't care if they howl, growl or bawl!
Wandering mobs, digital slobs
Points for my scooooore

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
You remember that dog in Independence Day. He just quickly at the last minute into the tunnel and we all breathe a sigh of relief as the door closes. Hundreds of thousands of people were just incinerated outside the door, but thank god that dog is okay.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I've been vegetarian for 15 years and I don't particularly care. I think I just got my award in RDR2 Online for killing 500 animals 👀

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
It's fantasy and doesn't really affect me.

However, I do have a bit of a fear of dogs. So, when they're used in horror games, it's usually too much for me. Seeing them in TLOU 2, kind of sealed the deal that I'm not going to play that game. Especially, considering how the first was already borderline too much... and the graphic violence and stuff? I really want to enjoy the story, though, so I'll probably buy the game and watch a play through like I did with Resident Evil 2.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't affect me, unless it's a case where the animal is part of the storyline and there is an attachment/story element involved. But like in BOTW, they're just another target that gives me instant resources, or in other games XP, etc. I do have a friend who likes to "judge" me if he's watching me play a game and I take out an animal that wasn't doing anything to me... and even if they are hostile like the damn hippos in AC Origins, he still gives me a hard time. LOL

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017
If they are vicious or fantastical animals, it doesn't bother me. Kill em if they're in my way.

What I can't stand are games like Farcry that make it part of the gear upgrading system. Want to hold more cash? Gotta kill 4 pigs just minding their own business! It just adds a gross kind of grinding to an already grindy series.

diobrando74

Nov 11, 2017
I literally love killing things in video games. Animals, vegetables and minerals. I'm only human, after all.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, maybe Naughty Dog is onto something here after all...
Roughly 80% are voting it's just pixels.

I'm still bummed out by their violence focus but if devs would focus on the emotional side of the killing of animals then people won't say "it's just pixels" just like they're not saying that when they're playing through the latest AAA story based exclusives.
I mean you don't go "it's just pixels" when you see bad things happening to the pixels named Aerith, Arthur, Ori, Ellie, right?

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
It's definitely possible for me to get so immersed and lost in the moment that I very briefly feel something for one of my victims in a video game, whether it's a dog, a cat, a man, a woman, a little kid, whatever... but I quickly snap out of it. On the whole, I don't give a shit about pixels. People getting all worked up about "Oh noes, I will NEVER kill any of those poor sweet puppy doggos in TLOU2, that would break my heart!!!!!"..... give me a fucking break.

TuMekeNZ

Oct 27, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
It all depends on the context. If the animals are aggressive and out to kill me I'll deal to them. Hunting in games for food is also fine.
Just being able to kill them for the laughs, I don't do it.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Don't mind that much. Although I did make my step-sister cry because I killed all the wolves in Metal Gear Solid 1.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
It's a game, so intent is more important than action to me. If it's not malicious and has a purpose (ie: self-defence, hunting, ect...) then it's fine.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
If they attack me I will defend myself without remorse. I hate it when quests make me get animal skins though and I have to hunt passive animals.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
EA: "If it's in the game, it's in the game."
Lmao!!!

I give absolutely no fucks about it. Recent Tomb Raider, RDR, it's whatever for the animals.

I play GTA where I run over ppl coming him from work, might shoot a few just so I can kill some cops after getting wanted levels up.

I'm going to think twice about some animals? Please.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely possible for me to get so immersed and lost in the moment that I very briefly feel something for one of my victims in a video game, whether it's a dog, a cat, a man, a woman, a little kid, whatever... but I quickly snap out of it. On the whole, I don't give a shit about pixels.
Are you going with "I don't give a shit about pixels" regarding the story as well? Or is it just pixels when it comes to the killing?
I cried when I played through Brothers A Tale of Two Sons when seeing the story unfold for those poor pixels. :(

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Depends on the context and graphical nature of it. If it's a Silent Hill or Dark souls doggo, then idc. If it was something more realistic, then it would depend on the context and if it was a life or death situation in the game.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
It depends on the context and execution in the game.

I have no problem slicing up bastard Ninja Doggos in Ninja Gaiden 2. If a vicious animal attacks me and threatens my life, I will defend myself.

Of course, if I am killing wild animals for game (Red Dead Redemption for example), it could be more emotionally divisive.

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Really baffling, the replies in this thread. Like, of course they're pixels, but what does that have to do with your feelings? Why does the imagery even matter if it has so little effect? You might as well be playing Adventure on Atari or something even more abstract if that's the way you feel. Just click the icons on your desktop one at a time for that fps experience, and it runs at 120 frames per second!

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I rarely play games where you get to kill random, normal ass animals, it's usually violent wild life attacking you or literally monsters.

Guess games like RDR and Breath of The Wild let you kill random animals, but i never went out of my way to do so, sometimes for the food in BotW tho.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Are you going with "I don't give a shit about pixels" regarding the story as well? Or is it just pixels when it comes to the killing?
I cried when I played through Brothers A Tale of Two Sons when seeing the story unfold for those poor pixels. :(

If the dog is an actual character in the story, a key character's companion or something, then that might affect me a little differently. But no, I don't have a hard time compartmentalizing things like characters within a story that have at least a modicum of development to them vs. a random NPC who exists only to patrol an area and attack my avatar character if they detect it. I don't equate the dogs in TLOU2 with Snake's dog in MGSV. Joel, Ellie, Tommy, Tess, Marlene etc. are more than just pixels. Patrolling NPCs and their dogs are just pixels. Fuck 'em.

Last edited:

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
The only time I felt "something" killing an enemy in a game it was with the robots in Nier Automata but I stopped caring like 10 min later, but I felt bad for a second.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
I draw the line where Zelda draws the line. Wild animals are fair game, dogs are untouchable, chicken are evil.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I've been shooting dogs since Wolfenstein 3D. The only problem I have with it is that they're a small fast-moving target to hit. Sometimes I miss. Then I get mauled. That is usually a problem.

Dogs are just a good skirmisher type enemy that can run into melee fast an mess you up. They're not much different than the Pinkie Demons from Doom in that regard.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I draw the line where Zelda draws the line. Wild animals are fair game, dogs are untouchable, chicken are evil.

I can't kill mammals in Zelda unless they're trying to get me. Riding the deer like Ashitaka is one of the best things about that game, and the foxes are cute too. Lizards and fish/crabs can all die.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
I evacuate spiders and make sure to step around the occasional ant when I see it. I have no problems killing or otherwise abusing animals in a game.
I would prefer to hunt in Far Cry for a bigger purse than to play a regular basic hunting game though.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I played more than 150 hours of Breath of the Wild and didn't kill a single wolf. There were some quests I couldn't complete because I wouldn't do it.

Anyone else avoid killing the animals in BotW?

Deleted member 12009

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really feel the urge to shoot and kill every animal I see in vidya, like ferals wandering the streets in Division or wildlife in other games, but if it attacks me then I don't really hesitate. Same for shooting anything, really. I don't just go out of my way to destroy and kill, even if it's just make believe.

Unless it's Dark Souls. Then everything has got to go.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
depends on the sound design, if it's too realistic I cringe a bit and do what I have to do. If not, well they are just pixels, whatevs man.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing. They aren't real, in case you didn't know.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
If the dog is an actual character in the story, another character's companion, then that might affect me a little differently. But no, I don't have a hard time compartmentalizing things like characters within a story that have at least a modicum of development to them vs. a random NPC who exists only to patrol an area and attack my avatar character if they detect it. I don't equate the dogs in TLOU2 with Snake's dog in MGSV.
It's still just pixels though, no?

I absolutely understand how you're thinking, I just don't buy the pixel excuse most are voting at. We've had tons of big threads about sick stuff, politically charged content, sexualization and weird designs etc etc that clearly gets people to feel something, but when it comes to killing dogs, women, even kids, then nothing apparently matters because then it's just pixels and it's not real so who cares? :P

Like I said earlier, maybe Naughty Dog is pulling all the right strings here. Gamers feeling like shit because of the brutal violence might be exactly what the gaming hobby needs. We're all incredibly desensitized.