• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
large-web-poster-landmjj5v.jpg

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

General Info:
Publisher: Liquid Bit, LLC
Developer: BumbleBear Games
Platforms: Steam (Windows/Mac), Nintendo Switch, coming soon to Xbox One and Game Pass
Release Date: October 11th, 2019
Price: $19.99, €17.99, £16.19

Reviews:
Metacritic (Switch) (83)
Metacritic (PC) (??)
OpenCritic (82)

Kotaku (no score):
Assuming you're okay with dealing with the frustrations of local multiplayer—or just plan to play online and don't care about any of this—Killer Queen Black is a brilliant ballet of a team-based online competitive game. If you haven't experienced it yet, you won't be disappointed.

Nintendo World Report (9.5/10, video):
It's very likely that two of my biggest concerns—availability of matches and map variety—will be addressed at and shortly after launch. A lingering but minor concern is that there's no background music during gameplay, which is odd given the rock-and-roll sound effects and allusion to an iconic band. Regardless, the gameplay of Killer Queen Black speaks for itself; there's a perfect balance struck between the three victory conditions and the roles of Queen, Worker, and Soldier. I can't really give it more of a ringing endorsement than saying this: it has the potential to be the definitive online multiplayer experience of 2019, and that's coming from someone who plays Tetris 99 every single day. If you can get friends together, local or otherwise, you're guaranteed an awesome time. Dynamite with a laser beam, indeed. My mind's already blown.

Screen Rant (4.5/5):
Killer Queen Black offers a compelling multiplayer experience for both the lone player seeking glory in the online modes and groups of friends who just want to have fun. The game is easy to pick up, yet challenging to master, as the ways in which the different aspects of the game mesh together means that the player can never be complacent in their methods. Killer Queen Black is an incredible multiplayer title and it has more than earned its shot at the big time.

TheSixthAxis (8/10):
Killer Queen Black is just an insanely good party game. If you're looking for something to play solo, then this isn't really for you. This is a game best enjoyed with friends where frantic communication and the lightning quick gameplay will have you all rolling around with laughter as you compete to see who has the best Hive.

Links:
Official website
Official Twitter account
Official Discord server
Announcement trailer
Launch trailer

Last edited:

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
Ok, this sounds interesting.
I wish I had the possibility to play more games than I do already.

Deleted member 44122

switch release time is tomorrow at 4 pm cest (3pm uk) in europe btw, if anyones wondering.
might be a simultaneous worldwide release, in which case it would release at 7am pacific/10am eastern in the us

Red Rudolph

Aug 7, 2019
Surprised at the high Switch reviews. Not having 8 players on a single Switch is absolutely a dealbreaker for me. Needing to have two Switches, two copies of KQB, and potentially two TVs is nuts, and even worse when you recall that there used to be a bug that allowed for 8 on one Switch. Frustrates me a lot, because I know just how awesome it would/could be.

Vade

Oct 26, 2017
Played the crap out of it at Pax South and Dreamhack....and then beta tested the game throughout the summer on Discord. It was a blast every time.

takeablake

May 21, 2018
FWIW, you don't need to have two TVs for 8-player matches, as you can local wifi together and it'll be working from there.

Can you explain how this works, per se? Does the second Switch (the one not connected to the TV) have four players and their controllers connected to it, but the Switch itself somehow links up to the TV-connected one such that all players show up there (even in menus, etc.)? And how does the in-game alerting system work with everyone on the same screen? I'm assuming you would not want the other team knowing precisely where you are pinging, ideally. (Having played this in the arcade, I understand, of course, that that iteration of the game didn't possess those alerts, nor could you really keep your voice down enough to talk to your team without the other one hearing, but still.)

Just interested in why/how it would be implemented for 8 players to be able to play on one TV and yet need two Switches; I was quite dismayed to learn this fact when it was revealed many months ago.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Screen Rant (4.5/5):
Killer Queen Black offers a compelling multiplayer experience for both the lone player seeking glory in the online modes and groups of friends who just want to have fun. The game is easy to pick up, yet challenging to master, as the ways in which the different aspects of the game mesh together means that the player can never be complacent in their methods. Killer Queen Black is an incredible multiplayer title and it has more than earned its shot at the big time.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Does the second Switch (the one not connected to the TV) have four players and their controllers connected to it, but the Switch itself somehow links up to the TV-connected one such that all players show up there (even in menus, etc.)?

If I'm honest I've yet to test it out fully, but the wording that I had was that you can join the two switches using the local wifi feature. They'll each do their own processing etc, and you can either have them playing on their own screens in handheld mode, or if you hook up one to a TV you can have all 8 players focusing on the same screen.

As for alerting, I couldn't tell you. My assumption is that it's just the same as a regular 8-player game

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I pre-ordered this on the Switch and eagerly await it's unlock. Blows my mind you can't just do 8 players with a single Switch but one of my friends is going to pick it up too so it is what it is. Hopefully we can still play 8 and just look at the tv all together. I'm guessing 4 people will have to look at the Switch that's off screen to go through the menus and pick their characters but once the match is going I don't see any reason we can't just look at the same big screen together.

takeablake

May 21, 2018
Yeah, of course it seems obvious to me now that you can just all look at the same screen together once a match starts, given that the action would be the same for both teams. Just unfortunate that it needs two consoles. I have to think that there will be plenty of people who are familiar with the game in the arcade but haven't been following forums/the game's development journey who will be very surprised/disappointed by that fact, given Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, etc.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Don't sleep on this.

The arcade is incredibly fun. Sure, some aspects of local play won't translate online but it should still be really good. You can also play online with any combination of local players, there's cross-play and cross-platform parties are coming shortly after launch.

Really excited for this one.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TheSixthAxis (8/10):
Killer Queen Black is just an insanely good party game. If you're looking for something to play solo, then this isn't really for you. This is a game best enjoyed with friends where frantic communication and the lightning quick gameplay will have you all rolling around with laughter as you compete to see who has the best Hive.

The Indie Game Website (8/10):
Killer Queen Black is a game bursting with possibilities, from strategic to community. Judging its merit based on possibility is tricky but I gladly err on the side of hope for the beacon this game can be for indie multiplayer games going forward.

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait. Loved what I've played during the beta. Hope the game will have a solid player base. While it didn't recreate the greatness of having 10 people huddled around a cabinet, it's great to finally have a home version. I take it this will be released tomorrow afternoon instead at midnight eastern time right?

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
If matchmaking can't find 8 players for whatever reason, will the game add bots? I hope so.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I don't know if any of my friends will be grabbing it, but if I can matchmake with randos and still have some fun, it could be great. That's how I play Rocket League.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Culture of Gaming (9/10):
In the end, I loved playing Killer Queen Black even though I didn't manage to play much of it. The gameplay is fast-paced and exhilarating. The ways to win were well varied and open to a lot of replayability. The art style is delightful enough that it didn't get old to look at. The music and sound effect were amazing in my opinion, managing to somehow fit into the overall style of the game. If you're looking for a fresh new competitive multiplayer game, then you might want to check out Killer Queen Black. I definitely will be playing it a lot once it's officially released to the public.

Saving Content (4/5):
Chances are though, if you're looking at whether to play Killer Queen Black, you already know what you're getting yourself into. The only important question is whether it delivers on the experience you're looking for, and that answer is yes. Playing online by yourself isn't quite the same thing as stepping up to one of two paired arcade cabinets to duke it out in person, but make no mistake that this is the real deal.

Joedev

Apr 24, 2018
Does anyone know if it possible for 2 local players to go online together on Switch. This seems like an obviously thing, but sometimes games don't allow it.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Does anyone know if it possible for 2 local players to go online together on Switch. This seems like an obviously thing, but sometimes games don't allow it.

from the website:

"Online play can be in any configuration, two people sitting on a couch teamed up with two other people online, four players local playing another team of four online, or everyone remote.. etc. The only rule is that everyone who shares a screen (ie.. sitting next to each other) has to be on the same team. "

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I was watching NateDrake 's gameplay video of this yesterday and it definitely looks a lot of fun. Native voice chat is a huge get for Nintendo in general too so perhaps more people learning about that will help foster a community on the consoles.

Think I'll get it this weekend.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
The original arcade game is fantastic. This being MP only though means it'll live or die by its community and that makes me kinda reluctant to bite. Are there bots?

swimming

Oct 27, 2017
So can I play with 4 friends local vs other people online? Is that how this works? Or is the only "multiplayer" function me going solo and having to play with other friends online on my friends list thru a lobby

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Are we going to have an OT for this?

It's up on Steam for PC and Mac. Going to set up the sticks and try to get my girlfriend into it as well.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Does anyone know if this is a Game pass game btw?