• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't see a thread on this.

https://pitchfork.com/news/watch-killer-mikes-new-netflix-show-trigger-warning/

Killer Mike's new series "Trigger Warning With Killer Mike" is now streaming on Netflix. The series is six episodes long and is hosted by the Run the Jewels rapper, who confronts social issues and misconceptions that affect the black community. El-P also makes an appearance in the series.

Last year, Killer Mike contributed the song "Black Power. White Powder." with 2 Chainz to Netflix's documentary series "Rapture." Run the Jewels also shared "Let's Go (The Royal We)" for Marvel's Venom. The duo's last album was 2016's Run the Jewels 3, though El-P recently hinted at a new album this summer.

Read Pitchfork's feature "Run the Jewels' Universal Theory of Not Giving a Fuck."

Trailer:

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watched the first two episodes and thought they were great. The second one had a concept so absurd it was hilarious.

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. He hits so many deep topics at once.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Definitely interested in this, been a fan of Killer Mike for awhile now.

Not to stir the pot, but what ever came of his support for the NRA?

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
Well I know what I'm doing today.

Sidenote, Killer Mike is not an "NRA gun nut". He did an interview with them and later apologized.

Last edited:

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like when black people are gun nuts it's far more understandable to me. Being black in America you'd want to be prepared in any shape or form.

Will give this a shot.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Haha. Trigger Warning! It's great wordplay because Triggers also get used in school shootings which Mike used to stan for the NRA. Very clever!

I just hope none of his kids decided to Protest the NRA and gun violence during this show's shooting, seeing him throwing his children out of the house for that would be awkward.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Binged five episodes yesterday. Wasn't expecting it to be as funny as it is. It's more entertaining than insightful tbh, but there's nothing wrong with that.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like it balances ashiness with "haha black people"

Sintax

Alt account
Banned
Jan 18, 2019
Mike has looked funny in the light ever since he became a cheerleader for Bernie. I respect his entrepreneurial hustle, such as the barbershop he opened, but I think he does the black community a disservice with his naive political posturing. I'm good.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Mike has looked funny in the light ever since he became a cheerleader for Bernie. I respect his entrepreneurial hustle, such as the barbershop he opened, but I think he does the black community a disservice with his naive political posturing. I'm good.
He never apologized to the Black Lives Matter women for liying and putting them down

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I never catched up with his NRA bullshit, how did that turn out?
He did an interview with them a while back. They definitely skewered the interview when it aired to make him look really bad and he apologized for it. But he should have been on the up enough to not do it in the first place. Case of willingly swimming with sharks.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 day): Hostility, antagonizing other members.
Do you call all black men naive or just the ones that disagree with you politically?

Your comment is the epitome of white privilege and ignorance.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Do you call all black men naive or just the ones that disagree with you politically?

As a black/rican gun owner, Mike was naive as hell. I've been shooting most of my life, but it's quite clear what the NRA is about. Hell, my father stopped supporting them later in life because of the message they put out and their constant dog whistling. You can look at how Colin Noir conducts himself on their behalf to see what they expect out of black folks. I'm an unabashed gun carrying moderate, so this has nothing to do with expecting other black folks bow down to some specific liberal mindset. Mike isn't a dumb person, but the NRA played him.

That said, he realized himself what the deal was and apologized, so it's all good with me, but it doesn't change what happened.

Edit: misread the original post quoted.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
I love RTJ but my eyes roll all the way back in my head when I see the title of the show. Doesn't help that there are no less than three conservative comedy specials titled "Triggered" released in recent years.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017
As a black/rican gun owner, Mike was naive as hell. I've been shooting most of my life, but it's quite clear what the NRA is about. Hell, my father stopped supporting them later in life because of the message they put out. You can look at how Colin Noir conducts himself on their behalf to see what they expect out of black folks. I'm an unabashed gun carrying moderate, so this has nothing to do with expecting other black folks bow down to some specific liberal mindset. Mike isn't a dumb person, but the NRA played him.
I'm not a gun own and hate the NRA and I agree that he was wrong to do the interview. As he admitted himself and apologized for. Guy I was replying to was calling him naive for supporting Sanders and decided to speak on behalf of the black community.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nigga, please.

Killer Mike is naive as fuck. He's seemed out of his element politically for a while now, and that situation with him supporting the NRA and threatening to throw his children out if they didn't do the same was likewise cringeworthy. As is the title of this show in the current climate, where every conservative who thinks themselves clever is ironically using the term "triggered!"

I think I'm good here.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a gun own and hate the NRA and I agree that he was wrong to do the interview. As he admitted himself and apologized for. Guy I was replying to was calling him naive for supporting Sanders and decided to speak on behalf of the black community.

Ahh, my bad completely. Misread the original post completely. I swore it was about the NRA and not Mike's preferred candidates specifically. Edited my original response.

Oct 28, 2017
In 10-15 years anyone making "triggered" jokes will be looked at the same way people making gay jokes are looked at now.

Just keep that in mind.

iliketopaint_93

Use of alt account
Sep 3, 2018
I'm trying to figure out right now why nobody ITT seems to realize Mike is making fun of conservatives who say "triggered" and "trigger warning" via the title of his show.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
The first two episodes so far have been pretty smart and entertaining. Not for everyone, but there was definitely a lot of thought put into them and they touch on issues that hardly anyone discusses. Will continue watching.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Even if that's the case it doesn't exactly require Stewart Lee or Kdot-level consciousness to make or pick up on wordplay like that
I mean yeah, at it's best it's "That is what she said" level, so it is weird to give people credit for something so hacky and meant to poke fun at legitimate issues

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I see something called "Trigger Warning" and I just assume it's some hack right wing comic's shitty comedy special where he goes "HURRR DOES THAT OFFEND UUU??"

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
If it doesn't work out with Netflix, he could always shop the show to NRA TV with the same title.
giphy.gif

Sintax

Alt account
Banned
Jan 18, 2019

But I'm black. Mike was an avid supporter of a tone deaf politician who dismissed the black vote and has a history of problematic responses when taken to task about the black agenda and how little importance it seemingly has within his platform.