• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Arm processors don't exactly play nice with Killer Instinct, does anyone know what SoC that cabinet is using?
I'm hoping it's a (x86) SoC.....that certainly would justify the price they're asking for.

Keep in mind they're not using MAME. MAME does things the "traditional" way and aims for no hacks and 100% accuracy, hence why it needs very beefy specs. What Code Mystics are using is a custom emulator that uses High-Level Emulation, which uses lots of hacks and essentially "cheats" to translate the machine code to native code in a very fast way.

Code Mystics have been commenting on reddit alot and one tidbit they explained is that instead of properly emulating the actual "Midway DCS" sound hardware used in KI and others, they ran an emulator through the sound data offline, allowing them to essentially render all the sounds and music "offline" in wav format. So what their emulator does, is when it detects that KI wants any specific audio file, instead of emulating the DCS system (which is CPU intensive), it just fetches the corresponding wav file and plays that. This saves IMMENSE amount of processing power. Playing a wav file is basically free. This is just ONE hack, and they have to be using many, many of them in conjunction to get fast speeds.

If you remember, back in the day there was the U64 Emu emulator that could run KI on a 400mhz Pentium, and it used High-Level Emulation. This is the same deal, but more custom and professionally polished (U64 Emu had lots of glitches and inaccuracies) This is how they can get that game running on such weak hardware.

Arcade1up have gone on record to say that KI runs on the same hardware as their previous Midway games. Code Mystics (who built the emulation) said their KI code is even less CPU-intensive than their NBA JAM one.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Arm processors don't exactly play nice with Killer Instinct, does anyone know what SoC that cabinet is using?
I'm hoping it's a (x86) SoC.....that certainly would justify the price they're asking for.

John D. from Arcade1Up posted a video of it running on their hardware. Runs just fine:

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Killer Instinct and Ridge Racer are both so tempting. I don't have room for them though and the price tags are a bit steep.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I'm in the same boat; I would love to get KI, but I don't have the space and the price is a bit steep for my liking. I have several A1U's and the most expensive one I bought was NBA Jam for $500 (with a stool and riser) and that was a stretch.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I appreciate that they at least attempted a pseudo Ultra 64 intro..still doesn't hit nearly the same tho.

It never could. But I appreciate it very much too! They could have just yanked it like the Xbox One version, but they went the extra mile to make sure the sequence fits in sync with the music. Props! They also seem to have addressed the "fights load too fast" inaccuracy from the Xbox One version. The announcer saying "Fight On!" always got cut off by how fast the fights loaded, but here it's intact. Good stuff!

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
It never could. But I appreciate it very much too! They could have just yanked it like the Xbox One version, but they went the extra mile to make sure the sequence fits in sync with the music. Props! They also seem to have addressed the "fights load too fast" inaccuracy from the Xbox One version. The announcer saying "Fight On!" always got cut off by how fast the fights loaded, but here it's intact. Good stuff!
Yeah agree, it's nice to see they're making a solid effort for KI. Still for me personally $750 (I think that's the price) is just a bit too much to justify for an arcade 1up..and they're probably all sold out anyway lol.

Summoner

Nov 4, 2017
Keep in mind they're not using MAME. MAME does things the "traditional" way and aims for no hacks and 100% accuracy, hence why it needs very beefy specs. What Code Mystics are using is a custom emulator that uses High-Level Emulation, which uses lots of hacks and essentially "cheats" to translate the machine code to native code in a very fast way.

Code Mystics have been commenting on reddit alot and one tidbit they explained is that instead of properly emulating the actual "Midway DCS" sound hardware used in KI and others, they ran an emulator through the sound data offline, allowing them to essentially render all the sounds and music "offline" in wav format. So what their emulator does, is when it detects that KI wants any specific audio file, instead of emulating the DCS system (which is CPU intensive), it just fetches the corresponding wav file and plays that. This saves IMMENSE amount of processing power. Playing a wav file is basically free. This is just ONE hack, and they have to be using many, many of them in conjunction to get fast speeds.

If you remember, back in the day there was the U64 Emu emulator that could run KI on a 400mhz Pentium, and it used High-Level Emulation. This is the same deal, but more custom and professionally polished (U64 Emu had lots of glitches and inaccuracies) This is how they can get that game running on such weak hardware.

Arcade1up have gone on record to say that KI runs on the same hardware as their previous Midway games. Code Mystics (who built the emulation) said their KI code is even less CPU-intensive than their NBA JAM one.
John D. from Arcade1Up posted a video of it running on their hardware. Runs just fine:

Very nice...... Can't wait for a review/teardown of this machine to see what kind of "Sorcery" they've done here.