• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

S2KTeDDy

Jan 22, 2018
Glad that KI is back... so much fun to watch competitively!!

Also, KI3 music not good?? What the hell am I reading... its some of the best use of dynamic compositions I've heard this generation! I love Maya's theme with a passion.

Mick Gordon's tracks are so well composed, that he planted the main KI melody in some form in each of his tracks if you listen hard enough.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I'm so up for more KI. KI 2013 is wonderful and bops every single fighting game on the market nowadays in regards to netplay/patchnotes/almost everything

That Mick Gordon soundtrack too, it's so good

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
How is the online player base nowadays? I'd imagine I'd get bitched hard if I hopped on today.
Pretty decent on the windows 10/xbone version. I"ve just started and I'm finding games with varied opponents. I suck at most games not MK11 and even have some wins here. I'm like 8/20 in KI but like 6 and 60 in SFV....

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Popping in purely to say Killer Instinct is still fun as fuck to watch being played and the soundtrack for the reboot is arguably one of the top soundtracks of the entire generation. Hinnamatoom in particular is spectacular.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
Besides that i don't find this good design, it's more overwatch kind / cartoon direction design. It's not what ki was meant to be

I hate to pile on to the heat that this guys getting, but the LAST thing anyone should be seriously defending is the old character designs. Because they're all incredibly dumb. Granted, that's a large part of the appeal, but c'mon - the only thing the original KI designs were meant to be were random doodles from the back of a 80's metal-head's Tapper Keeper.

Extreme 90's ninja
Big tittied secret agent in neon green spandex onesie
Flaming Cheeto man
Ice dude
Native American stereotype with feather mohawk
African American Boxer (because how else is a black guy going to fight?)
A dinosaur
A werewolf
A skeleton
A Ray Harryhausen monster reject as the boss

It's a random collection of "cool" things with no coherency in design or theme. They're a collection of action figures your aunt bought for you at the discount bin in Walmart because she didn't know what a Transformer was. I'm glad the series has survived to evolve the character designs, because they needed it. I appreciated that the new ones have helped stake out and refine KI's theme as a "monster" fighter.

ANYWAYS - to contribute to the topic, check out Maximilian's latest streams if you want an idea of what online KI looks like these days, he's been streaming it consistently since the EVO announcement.

bohex1984

Oct 27, 2017
If there's no current development and it comes in 4 years fine, just announce it and put Mick Gordon attached to it again, that's all you need to do right now...

Deleted member 67920

alt account
Banned
May 1, 2020
The 25th anniversary of KI was last November and I recall lot of people in the FGC were hoping for something to be announced at X019 since it was in London and Rare were going to be there.

I'm hoping we'll get another one soon. KI is awesome.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
Nice to see the KI love (and passion for every previous iteration of it) is alive and well! =)
KI 2013 was the first fighting game I got deeply into and despite trying other nothing really clicks with me the same way ki did (not to say other games are not good). Everything in it just comes together so damn well. I don't play it nearly as much as I used to due to a busier schedule but damn is it fun to just go in and mess about.

Also my brother absolutely hated hearing combo breaker and counter breaker all the time when I would play it home, but he just doesn't know what he was missing out on.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I've been having so much fun lately with Arbiter. I know he has a very low chance of returning if a sequel gets made but man am I glad they chose him over a spartan.

Last edited:

Monprr

Nov 28, 2017
it's crazy to think how universally hated this game was when it was announced. It was even booed at Evo 2013.

Never would I have guessed it would become so beloved after that.
I believe that was more directed at the Xbox One at the time. This is when they still planned to do the "online only" thing and received a ton of backlash.

I am all there with the KI love though. They took a weird cgi game with strange combo mechanics and turned it into one of my favorite fighters ever.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I believe that was more directed at the Xbox One at the time. This is when they still planned to do the "online only" thing and received a ton of backlash.

I am all there with the KI love though. They took a weird cgi game with strange combo mechanics and turned it into one of my favorite fighters ever.

It was a little bit of the Xbox One backlash, and concern over the developer. Double Helix was known for making Silent Hill: Homecoming, and people weren't digging the f2p model Killer Instinct had.

I'm so glad people came around to this game. it's phenomenal.

Maximilian

The Dood
Verified
Feb 19, 2019
I think the direction that many large scale fighting games have gone in the past few years, along with the lack of consideration for online, really makes Microsoft, Double Helix and Iron Galaxy's efforts stand out on a seven year old game.

1 -Easily accessible gameplay, with an extremely high skill ceiling and is visually exciting.
2 -Varied roster where no character feels similar in gameplay.
3 -Incredible soundtrack and audio that conducts the music to that gameplay.
4 -Some of the best most consistent online functions/systems in a FG ever.
5 -Tons of single player content.

It took a few years to get there, but they did it.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
I think the direction that many large scale fighting games have gone in the past few years, along with the lack of consideration for online, really makes Microsoft, Double Helix and Iron Galaxy's efforts stand out on a seven year old game.

1 -Easily accessible gameplay, with an extremely high skill ceiling and is visually exciting.
2 -Varied roster where no character feels similar in gameplay.
3 -Incredible soundtrack and audio that conducts the music to that gameplay.
4 -Some of the best most consistent online functions/systems in a FG ever.
5 -Tons of single player content.

It took a few years to get there, but they did it.

I'm gonna add a very important 6 to this list:

6. You can actually get into games really fast and it isn't a long slog to just play the actual game.

Seriously, the WORST PART of Street Fighter V for me. Even with skipping the entire character select in that game it still takes ages to load into a game and then leave the game then find another match then load into the game. Often feels like SF5 is 90% loading, 10% playing. Esp. when people won't rematch.

Somewhere along the way fighting games forgot the most important part should be getting people into the games quick.

KI never forgot it though.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
EVO's main line up was ruined cause the online for all these games are terrible (e.g. Smash online is infamous). They've opted for an online tournament instead and the main line up is MK11, Them's Fighting Herds, Skullgirls and KI; all chosen for their good online.
Oh word?! I haven't been following FGC stuffs in a good while. This is great!
I've been hoping to see at least some kind of KI representation on EVO's main stage since it left (I'm guessing they have like smaller stuff going on there at the actual event too), because one of my wishiest of gaming wishes is to see Dirty Tokido play KI (I bet he'd use Cinder too! RRRGG, I'm already getting salty!).
it's crazy to think how universally hated this game was when it was announced. It was even booed at Evo 2013.
Wow, I don't remember that. That really sucks, especially since KI had some hype-ass Top 8s at EVO like... two years in a row (if I'm remembering right).
edit: actually, yeah I guess I could see that maybe? People gave SFV a lot of shit for not having an arcade mode at launch and a small selection of characters, but KI also didn't have an arcade mode at launch and I think had an even smaller roster when it first came out.
You could play KI for free, though... so there's that.
ANYWAYS - to contribute to the topic, check out Maximilian's latest streams if you want an idea of what online KI looks like these days, he's been streaming it consistently since the EVO announcement.

This is a good idea, lol. I feels it's always a good time to watch more KI, I just need a reminder sometimes. Thanks!

Yeah, Hisako is a friggen' awesome character.

Gigi A

Oct 26, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm hoping that when we get another KI, that they add in a Wendigo/Lovecraftian character. Would be amazing~

Also, still waiting on "Roxy Rave" being a character as the "Evil Orchid"

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
It was before the game had been released. It took some time, but after it came out the game was praised.
Oh, well then yeah I guess that could've been some Xbox One hate spilling over.

KI is the game I point to when like (how do I say this...) Like it was made by Double Helix who made some real stinkers (Battleship and GI Joe Rise of Cobra in particular), but then they were given a chance and made a fantastic game!

That's a damn shame...

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Re: KI booed at EVO

I was sitting in the audience when this happened. It was the Microsoft logo that got booed. FGC can be... tribal? at times, so a new fighter is one thing, but an exclusive one, and for the Xbox One... yeah. Easy to hate on for the time.

The good thing was that everyone that played KI (we had a booth running all weekend) loved it, and we took our licks from that and didn't wilt.

One of the original goals we actually had for the KI reboot (unwritten but clearly embraced by everyone) was "Don't get laughed out of EVO". So, OK we (speaking as MS here) got booed, but the game did not. I'll take it.

Also, here's a snippet from the original request doc I wrote (re: netplay)
Another major area is a plan for how to handle multiplayer games not played on the same screen. Networked multiplayer for fighting games is a huge area that has many debates around how it should be handled. Customized code and solutions like GGPO exist at present. What is the best solution to guarantee great play almost all the time? We'd like the developer to propose solutions for this area, with prototype integration (in rough form) for testing purposes.
Good network play was a goal from day zero. =)

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
Yup the game got booed because that was the height of the Xbox One/Microsoft hate. I remember even the old website was bashing the game harshly unfairly pre-release. I do believe if the game released later in the Xbox cycle it would've been a massive hit.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
actually, yeah I guess I could see that maybe? People gave SFV a lot of shit for not having an arcade mode at launch and a small selection of characters, but KI also didn't have an arcade mode at launch and I think had an even smaller roster when it first came out.

If you weren't around for the Xbone's announcement, to say that it caused a shit show in the gaming community was a massive understatement. The always online and associated DRM announcement was tantamount to Microsoft declaring war on gamers. The entire brand turned toxic overnight. That disaster likely cost Don Mattrick his job at Microsoft.

So, a dev no one had heard of comes out to promote their Microsoft exclusive reboot of a beloved franchise while everyone's waited for Mahvel to get started? Filthy Rich is probably happy he made it out of Vegas alive.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I was sitting in the audience when this happened. It was the Microsoft logo that got booed. FGC can be... tribal? at times, so a new fighter is one thing, but an exclusive one, and for the Xbox One... yeah. Easy to hate on for the time.

Appreciate the clarification! Very comforting to know that audience wasn't actually booing the game itself.

You all made my favorite game of the decade.

Deleted member 51306

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Really happy to see KI getting some love. My favorite fighting game this gen. Thinking about jumping back in. I'd love a full fledged sequel on next gen.

Neo Ankh

Oct 12, 2019
It should be an easy decision to make a next gen KI. That game was amazing and easily one of the best games of the generation. I'll be extremely disappointed if Microsoft doesn't at least announce it at their July showcase. #BringBackKI

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
All this KI talk has me wanting to hop back on and play it some more. Definitely would be excited to see a sequel announced for next gen (or cross gen, if it comes out year one of the XSX).

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
The good thing was that everyone that played KI (we had a booth running all weekend) loved it, and we took our licks from that and didn't wilt.

I remember reading the original thread when it was announced and people laughing it off and then people starting to post impressions and people were like, "wait a minute, this actaully looks pretty solid!"

I also remember going to an Xbox pre-release event and spent my time just playing KI and was blown away by the audio on Thunder's stage. Sadly that memory was overshadowed by how funky the headphones there smelled. Shudder.

Granted, I didn't get an Xbox One until the second season when the rez got upped, but the game was the reason why.

BusterJol

Nov 2, 2017
#BringBackKI

One of the best fighters ever. The community is supportive if a bit small. Players/Organizers like Brandon, Rick, Jebailey, LCD, Bass, Infil, Nicky, KI Storm, Sonic Dolphin, ZergKiller, and so much more help make this game great and achieve alot.

With proper rollout and content on Series X instead of how KI2013 first launched would set the stage for Killer Instinct to be even greater.

Also hi Keits and Ishmae!

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
I'm going to share a bit of a lengthy story here if you all don't mind...

So in 2013, I was in attendance at Microsoft's E3 Briefing when it was announced. I didn't have any kind of pass for the E3 show itself at the time, but you were able to purchase an Industry pass for $998. When I learned the game was playable on the floor, I knew I had to get my hands on it. So I purchased the ticket and attended my first E3.

Getting to play the game and see how much everyone was really enjoying it was great to see. Met Ken Lobb for the first time, interacting with devs at Double Helix, witnessed Maximillian wiping the floor with people and I had no idea who he was then. I knew nothing of the FGC, but knew of KI since I've been a fan of Rare my whole life.

So once E3 wrapped, I was covering news for the game on a dedicated Rare website that I had. And then I had the idea of perhaps starting a website specifically for KI... so I did. And on July 26th, 2013, I launched Killer Instinct Central with a really big exclusive courtesy of Mick Gordon: a KI Music Suite. And from day one all the way up to early 2017, the website was just an enormous success. There was an average of around 100,000 unique visitors visit the website every month. People were really hungry for Killer Instinct news and just had an appetite for more and more. I don't want this to all be misconstrued as me bragging about the website, I'm just pointing out that from my perspective of running it, it was just so clear that the game was doing really well and there was a lot of people who were very passionate about the franchise.

And in those four years, I got to travel to EVO for the first time for 3 years, attended the KI panels Microsoft had, went to Texas one year for the KI World Cup. I also had the privilege of meeting so many amazing people at Microsoft, Double Helix, Iron Galaxy, and a lot of great people from the FGC. Ishmae1, James Goddard, Jebailey, Max, Keits, Brandon... Heck, I even had dinner in LA with Mick Gordon and Ali Edwards! Every single one of them couldn't have been nicer and you could tell from the way they spoke of the game that they were truly passionate about KI and I think having that passion went a long ways to them delivering the game they did and continuing to work on it for so long.

I'm just really grateful for that four years of my life. Microsoft and everyone who worked on the game delivered an amazing product and I fully trust that should another game in the franchise come in the future, that it won't disappoint as I'm sure that same love and passion we saw in the previous iteration will also pour over into the new one.

P.S. if you read this Ishame1 and Keits, thanks for always being so kind. Our brief communications at the events were always a pleasure :)

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017

One of the original goals we actually had for the KI reboot (unwritten but clearly embraced by everyone) was "Don't get laughed out of EVO". So, OK we (speaking as MS here) got booed, but the game did not. I'll take it.

Also, here's a snippet from the original request doc I wrote (re: netplay)

Good network play was a goal from day zero. =)

Thanks for sharing these things, I love how those decisions have made KI a staple of fighting games for anyone semi-interested in the genre.

Can't wait for the future, even if it's just a Series X patch.

Nov 1, 2017
Story time!

It was 2013 and i had enough disposable income and excitement for the upcoming gen that i was gonna jump in at launch. In the end there was one game that cemented my choice to go with Xbox One over PS4, and that was KI. It was a bit of a gamble as i hadnt seen a huge amount of gameplay but i had heard good things. I downloaded the free version and within minutes i was throwing money at the screen for the Ultra edition of season 1 and it became one of my most played games this gen by far. In my own humble opinion it's the best fighting game ever made and it was a firm favourite at my place when i had friends over for gaming nights. I think the high point for me was season 2, as difficult as that monthly release schedule must have been for IG there was so much hype and excitment for the monthly characters. I spent a lot of time on the KI forums excitedly discussing those upcoming characters and checking out the IG streams and all that good stuff.

Everyone involved in the making of KI should be incredibly proud of what they accomplished, especially considering all the, lets say less than ideal circumstances of its development. From the original unfairly harsh reception, to Double Helix being bought out by Amazon, to losing Mick Gordon for season 3 (major props to Celldweller and Atlas Plug for their excellent and fitting contributions to the music), it feels like KI had to fight to even exist every step of the way, fitting i guess considering the genre! The only negative thing i have to say is that i think it's a bit of a shame how it was left in a somewhat "unfinished" state, such as the weird thing of not every character having an ultimate or their own stage (although that one can easily be forgiven considering the huge amount of stages there are). Then again we did get some bonus characters and one final present which was Eagle who is a blast to play.

A new KI being announced is my one big wish for XSX. I'm already in as far the ecosystem goes as i'm a huge game pass fan and really appreciate Microsoft's committment to BC and respecting my purchasing history with all my games (and i prefer the Xbox controller). I don't think this announcement is for anything other than a new KI tourney or something like that, however i would be surprised and delighted to be proven wrong.

dmackin01

Oct 20, 2018
My friend and I fought each other in KI all night tonight and it was so much fun. It's been a while since we played but all of this news got us excited. It just plays so smooth.

I hope a new game or some new content is planned.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I got my two housemates into playing KI and they utterly loved it. KI is also one of the most fun games to watch people play but also the music/sfx/gfx etc all add to how great KI is. I find other fighting games like SC, Tekken etc, super boring to watch (imo)

Aug 25, 2019
I was playing it more again last night and that online net code is so buttery. They really nailed it, combo breakers feel spot on when you hit them!

castaction

Oct 28, 2017
Story time!

It was 2013 and i had enough disposable income and excitement for the upcoming gen that i was gonna jump in at launch. In the end there was one game that cemented my choice to go with Xbox One over PS4, and that was KI. It was a bit of a gamble as i hadnt seen a huge amount of gameplay but i had heard good things. I downloaded the free version and within minutes i was throwing money at the screen for the Ultra edition of season 1 and it became one of my most played games this gen by far. In my own humble opinion it's the best fighting game ever made and it was a firm favourite at my place when i had friends over for gaming nights. I think the high point for me was season 2, as difficult as that monthly release schedule must have been for IG there was so much hype and excitment for the monthly characters. I spent a lot of time on the KI forums excitedly discussing those upcoming characters and checking out the IG streams and all that good stuff.

Everyone involved in the making of KI should be incredibly proud of what they accomplished, especially considering all the, lets say less than ideal circumstances of its development. From the original unfairly harsh reception, to Double Helix being bought out by Amazon, to losing Mick Gordon for season 3 (major props to Celldweller and Atlas Plug for their excellent and fitting contributions to the music), it feels like KI had to fight to even exist every step of the way, fitting i guess considering the genre! The only negative thing i have to say is that i think it's a bit of a shame how it was left in a somewhat "unfinished" state, such as the weird thing of not every character having an ultimate or their own stage (although that one can easily be forgiven considering the huge amount of stages there are). Then again we did get some bonus characters and one final present which was Eagle who is a blast to play.

A new KI being announced is my one big wish for XSX. I'm already in as far the ecosystem goes as i'm a huge game pass fan and really appreciate Microsoft's committment to BC and respecting my purchasing history with all my games (and i prefer the Xbox controller). I don't think this announcement is for anything other than a new KI tourney or something like that, however i would be surprised and delighted to be proven wrong.
Haha back in 2013 i wanted a xbox one for ki too but waited until 2016 when i got my xbox one s the first game i bought was killer instinct put hundreds of hours so fun

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
You know what I always thought was super cool? When they had those long-ass streams showing balance changes for the new season.

Season 1 characters for Season 3
Season 2 characters for Season 3

not embedded because they're like 2 hours long each and I don't know if that'll wreck browsers with not much memory to work with (mobile)

I thought I remember watching Season 2's stream, but I guess I didn't because the first one I saw had the "charge endokuken." I thought that was Season 2.

A. D. Skinner

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I made a little effort to play KI regularly through S1 and S2. I loved the long patch note videos. If there is a new KI, I'd like that to continue!

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Wow, I don't remember that. That really sucks, especially since KI had some hype-ass Top 8s at EVO like... two years in a row (if I'm remembering right).
edit: actually, yeah I guess I could see that maybe? People gave SFV a lot of shit for not having an arcade mode at launch and a small selection of characters, but KI also didn't have an arcade mode at launch and I think had an even smaller roster when it first came out.
It was before the game had been released. It took some time, but after it came out the game was praised.

The initial reaction to KI isn't particularly surprising given context. Xbox was the industry punching bag at that time, and the gaming community turned almost fanatic in its hatred of Microsoft and their platform. It's also so hard to develop a competent fighter, let alone one which carves an audience for itself, so putting the then relatively unknown Double Helix on the IP inspired virtually no confidence in the project.

Amazingly, against all odds, the game launched with a great foundation, and through continuous updates and refinements KI turned into something seriously special. It's easily the best fighting game of this generation, and perhaps the best of the last decade, and deserves all its success and more.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw this in my sub box and thought it would be okay to post here.

video description box...
NNNuXQc.png

This could be really freaking interesting and I can't wait to watch it now.
I hope they get Mr. Dood's comments on the reveal. His reaction to it is something I still like to watch every now and then, lol.