• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jack Bauer or The Hayter Machine?

• Sutherland

Votes: 155 11.8%
  • Hayter

Votes: 925 70.1%
  • Both were good

Votes: 182 13.8%
  • Both are abysmal

Votes: 29 2.2%
  • Richard Doyle, you peasant

Votes: 28 2.1%

• Total voters

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Oh no don't spoil the fun ! It was so easy to spot people that have little to no idea of what they're talking about :(
Oh, uh, okay. The only cassettes in the game are Miller talking about his burger franchise. There are no other tape conversations in the game. At all.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sutherland was fine when he got more than 10 words. Good even, though it's impossible to tell.

Hayter chewed up and spit out the dogshit dialogue Kojima put in Snake's mouth with an appropriate amount of camp that we all thought was intentional until we realized Kojima meant most of it seriously.

Yeah, Hayter oddly elevated the material in the way you described.

OP
OP
NTGYK

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A modern-day remake of Snake Eater starring Kiefer Sutherland is something that I would not hate on.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
Reading all the comments here about how Kiefer did a great job with the little dialogue he had makes me think I'm living in some bizarro universe. He performance was soulless and he stripped away all the charisma and personality from the character. Hayter gave the character unique attributes and idiosyncrasies that made Snake instantly recognisable. Kiefer talked into the microphone with his normal voice like he was bored. The talk about Hayter sounding like a "cartoon character" and hence being inferior by default is absolute nonsense. Some of the most critically acclaimed roles in cinema are actors hamming it up e.g Marlon Brando in the Godfather, Daniel Day Lewis in There will be Blood, Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump. Name me one thing Kiefer's performance brought to the character that made him Snake? Watching people say Kiefer had a better performance than Hayter is like the episode of the Simpsons where Marge sees Homer vote for the Man getting hit by football clip in the film festival.

offshore

Oct 27, 2017
UK
This isn't really a fair comparison given the vast difference in output. lol.

Though Hayter was in serious danger of ruining his legacy after his farcical over-acting in MGS4.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Did snake even talk in mgs 5?
Kiefer would have been fine if they gave him any material to work with
Kiefer had a performance? I must have missed that part.
Sutherland had a performance?
Good lord, so many people missed out on the cassette tapes. That stuff was like codecs in the older MGS games, but you didn't have to sit in a menu to listen to someone talk for three minutes about cardboard. Instead, you could skulk around swampland while listening to a guy talk about a hamburger franchise for twelve minutes.

I feel like the reason folks are convinced Kiefer didn't say much in the game is because 5, unlike previous entries, didn't make radio/codec conversations mandatory, so folks skipped right over them. But he's got a ton of dialogue in the game, relegated to these cassettes.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure Sutherland put in much of a performance at all (and yes, I listened to the cassette tapes 🙄) it was just phoned in voice over work...so Hayter wins by default either way.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Kiefer is not a bad actor at all but MGSV was incredibly disappointing in terms of characters and story. He was given nothing to work with. Hayter is Snake. You can say that Kiefer's performance is more "realistic" or whatever but the world of MGS is anything but realistic. Hayter's performances fit that world perfectly. I was upset about Kojima replacing Hayter but then I realized that Hayter's absence was the least of MGSV's problems.

neptunez

Apr 21, 2018
After mgs3 Hayter tried to force it too much, didn't like it after that. It sounded like he was doing an imitation of himself.

Actually liked Sutherland's subdued performance

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Not really fair considering the material Sutherland was given.

I think he is a far better voice actor on his day than Hayter. Though MGS1 snake is GOAT.

Natels

Oct 26, 2017
Of course Kiefer is better. But Hayter is Snake.

When I hear Big Boss in MGS V, I see Kiefer.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Nothing against Keifer, but that's not a performance. He just did a few lines of dialogue and they plugged it into a character. It's good, but it feels somewhat alien in this game.

edit: I also find Troy Baker's Ocelot to be something else entirely. I can't believe this series ended on this stinker. People bash Kojima's long cinematics and goofy characters, but that was the only thing holding this series together for me. MGS5.. Fun gameplay (though bad open world), plot strewn inconsistently about that feels nothing like the rest of the games. I don't understand what this mess was supposed to be. It's all about the Motherbase stuff, but it's so mind boggling hollow. Am I supposed to care about these nothing soldier characters that stand around my empty and useless base, and I can't even take them on missions like in the other games? Apparently I am.

Last edited:

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good lord, so many people missed out on the cassette tapes. That stuff was like codecs in the older MGS games, but you didn't have to sit in a menu to listen to someone talk for three minutes about cardboard. Instead, you could skulk around swampland while listening to a guy talk about a hamburger franchise for twelve minutes.

I feel like the reason folks are convinced Kiefer didn't say much in the game is because 5, unlike previous entries, didn't make radio/codec conversations mandatory, so folks skipped right over them. But he's got a ton of dialogue in the game, relegated to these cassettes.

C'mon. Snake in the actual game acts like the type of mute blank slate player created character in an MMO or something for a huge chunk of the game. Snake in the previous games still talks a ton outside of codecs rather than standing around looking confused while other characters talk at him like he does in V.

Kiefer does better in the tapes but the actual presented character in the story itself barely resembles a human being, let alone the cult of personality mercenary leader the story attempts to prop him up as.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Yes? You should try the game again if you missed it cause he actually recorded a lot of stuff and some cassettes are really good.
Doesn't this game have cutscenes? Why isn't his vocal performance there instead of optional tapes?

Oct 25, 2017
Kiefer had a performance? I must have missed that part.

Even his performance in the tapes sounded soulless and boring. It's clear that Kiefer was just there to cash a check. He didn't want to be there, he felt no passion for the project, he didn't know or care about the characters. He was just reading lines in his early morning voice and that's it.

Hayter not only loves the character and the series, but the guy has the perfect voice for such a cartoony series as Metal Gear. People are asking for subtlety in a series where the freakin Cobra Commander would feel right at home. They are crazy.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Disregarding performances, it was always a pretty lame choice to have the VA for Solid Snake also voice Big Boss. This goes for both the Japanese and English releases. I was pretty happy when Kiefer was announced for MGSV, because it felt like mistake long overdue that needed to be fixed.

These are different characters, so they should have different voices. Hayter simply didn't have the range to make these characters sound and feel different. And when he did try with PW, it ended up being a complete disaster.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Oh no don't spoil the fun ! It was so easy to spot people that have little to no idea of what they're talking about :(
Yeah, I stopped playing after the Otacon mission, if you are referring to me. I'm speaking in level conversing. His performance in game is damn near silent.
if8pTBw.png

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
Hayter's performance might have (arguably) taken a dive by MGS4, but he'll always be the better Snake. Kiefer always sounded to me like he was just reading the script. There's just no emotion put into the role.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked Keefer better from what I heard. Hayter, and many other video game VA, many of their voices seemed forced. It's hard to explain, but it is one of the reasons I can't stand VA in games.

Deleted member 52065

Jan 16, 2019
Sutherland sounded like he didnt want to be doing any of the recording and Hayter's forces, overreacted voice is too much.

Ridill

Oct 27, 2017
California
I guess I can understand why the change, narrative ...but Kiefer cannot compare to Hayter. Hayter has been the heart and soul of Snake. That being said...Kiefer did well...but he definitely was NOT "Snake."

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
Hayter's performances only got worse as the series went on, but MGS1 was peak Snake. Kiefer was too sullen and didn't have many lines.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Sutherland was actually very good as Venom and may be technically better but there's a reason why Hayter's voice is so iconic. So of course Hayter.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Honestly? I like Sutherland better, but it was a shame Kojima had Venom basically be a silent protagonist with sparse moments of dialogue. Sure, Hayter does a great Solid Snake, but I feel like Naked/Venom would be much better with Sutherland's voice, provided he's well-directed and allowed to have more lines.

Oct 27, 2017
I was surprised at how little I missed Hayter in MGSV but the lack of dialogue for Kiefer was super jarring at times, especially that friggin jeep. If he voiced as much as any other Snake I think I'd have even preferred him.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
I think Kiefer was fine, but he really shouldn't have replaced Hayter. Kiefer sounds really out of place too, like everybody sounds like sort of cheesy anime dubs, very melodramatic, and then Kiefer sounds like he just stepped out of a Call of Duty game or something.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I can't separate Hayter's performance from Snake as a character, so I have to go with him. He's so fundamental to the character that I'm shocked Kojima dropped him.

You rock, David Hayter!

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Hayter is the only Snake. He's a major part of why Snake and Big Boss are iconic characters.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
lol at people using the tapes to somehow justify Sutherland being good at voicing Snake and acting like everyone else didn't listen to them. We did, he doesn't have much of a presence in them. Yes, he talks a lot, but it's not well acted. At least, not in a MGS sense.

I played the game several times, and there wasn't a single iconic line that he delivered ("Kept you waiting, huh?" is the closest, but it's because it's a classic Hayter line, so of course people are going to compare it).

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Sutherland with more material (MGS1, 3, or 4) would have been incredible.
Hayter was hired in like '97... when anyone that could speak without shitting out of their mouth was given VA jobs.

Was he better than VAs from RE1/2, Silent Hill 1, other early PS1 games? Sure. But in no universe is he a better actor/performer than Sutherland. He just had more to work with. This idea from insane fans that "fuck Kojima for going Hollywood" is silly. Kojima reached for a higher shelf bottle of scotch. Sadly he only got a sampler instead of a full glass.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sutherland's performance was better, even if the material was weak and honestly he didn't even speak much. He delivered his lines in a convincing way, though, and Hayter sounds like a Saturday morning cartoon. I guess it depends on your preference but I never liked Hayter's performance.