• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jack Bauer or The Hayter Machine?

• Sutherland

Votes: 155 11.8%
  • Hayter

Votes: 925 70.1%
  • Both were good

Votes: 182 13.8%
  • Both are abysmal

Votes: 29 2.2%
  • Richard Doyle, you peasant

Votes: 28 2.1%

• Total voters

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
13189457_f520.jpg

Who put in the better performance? Hayter obviously has the edge in terms of content, being in so many games since the beginning of the MGS saga, but Kiefer IMP is the better actor in his one game (when he can finally voice Snake on the tapes) vs Hayter's gravely monotone ever since Snake Eater.

A couple selections of their performance for your judgment:

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Kiefer is underrated. The only thing is has is that it's barely in it, but he's good for the few lines he delivers.

OP
OP
NTGYK

NTGYK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
13189457_f520.jpg

Who put in the better performance? Hayter obviously has the edge in terms of content, being in so many games since the beginning of the MGS saga, but Kiefer IMP is the better actor in his one game (when he can finally voice Snake on the tapes) vs Hayter's gravely monotone ever since Snake Eater.

A couple selections of their performance for your judgment:

Note, while Big Boss and Solid Snake are totally different characters, my gut feeling is that Hayter performs both characters pretty much the exact same in all the games but if you've got clips of really good stuff from Hayter, feel free to play it.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Sutherland was fine when he got more than 10 words. Good even, though it's impossible to tell.

Hayter chewed up and spit out the dogshit dialogue Kojima put in Snake's mouth with an appropriate amount of camp that we all thought was intentional until we realized Kojima meant most of it seriously.

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey
Interestingly enough, i showed several non gamers the character and the voice and they think keifer suits him better. I personally prefer Hayter but that might just be because i grew up with the voice.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
It was Kiefer. Every word out of his mouth was sexy liquid gold. He just suffered from having like ten lines in a 40-50 hour game so it stood out as jarringly different than what we were used to.

Not that Hayter was bad but his games were campy. Just actually imagine Hayters voice during the more serious parts of MGSV.

Karthane

Mar 20, 2018
Hayter. But MGSV snake is basically a completely different character so they are not really comparable.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
...but Kiefer IMP is the better actor in his one game (when he can finally voice Snake on the tapes) vs Hayter's gravely monotone ever since Snake Eater.

I agree, but it isn't an option in the poll.

More nuanced than that I would say David Hayter is unchallenged as the voice of Solid Snake.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I would have said Hayter if not for the later games where he becomes a damn caricature. Sutherland did amazing with what little material he had and actually made Big Boss sound like a real person as ironic as that is.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Kiefer is clearly a more accomplished actor, that said, I don't think MGS5's script showed us even a fraction of what he can do as an actor

Hayter is Snake. He created an iconic character (and voice) along with Kojima and it's still his. Kiefer being a better actor doesn't change that.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I simply cannot see Hayter doing this scene with that campy growly voice. Kiefer nails it down perfectly.

OP
OP
NTGYK

NTGYK

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think trying to make Snake the Man with No Name (and No Dialogue) was a poor directorial/writer choice. I never felt like I was Big Boss, just that Big Boss was fucking brain damaged.

GameBuddy

Oct 27, 2017
Hellabama
Keifer had hours and hours of lines in those tapes and he never sounded like anyone but Keifer Sutherland behind a microphone. He brought no character to either of the roles (Venom or Big Boss) and it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth that Kojima was likely just popping his Hollywood boner when he cast him.

It's embarrassing to listen to him up against the returning and professional voice actors in the cast.

I would have forgiven it if they'd just done some post processing and disguised Hayter as the "true" Big Boss in the revisit of the first mission, or even a cameo as Solid Snake, but we know that wasn't in the cards.

I know people are torn on the literal "whiskey voice" of Old Snake, but MGS4's tone is about as self-serious as V and Hayter did fine with that gravitas.

Oct 25, 2017
Hayter is the absolute best. Followed by Richard Doyle.

Sutherland just mumbled, had an annoying lisp and was not cartoony. And he sounded like he just didn't want to be there.

If they were going to replace Hayter in MGSV, Doyle would've been perfect. Also John Cygan (may he rest in peace).

saladdays

Sep 11, 2018
Kiefer is a better actor by far. Hayter is fun and campy but not all that competent as an actual actor.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a joke thread? Sutherland phoned in 95% of the performance. You can hate on gravelly Hayter, but that was entirely the voice director's doing. Hayter's voice was iconic and completely WAS snake's voice for 15 years.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hayter. one of the issues i have with v is the voice acting. and its not even sutherlands fault. its just that snake is hayter for me.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
lol time stamp that stuff OP.
Skip ahead a minute for voice samples (both clips).

I always thought Hayder sounded so much like he was putting on the voice.
Kiefer wins. Not by much, I like Hayder.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a joke thread? Sutherland phoned in 95% of the performance. You can hate on gravelly Hayter, but that was entirely the voice director's doing. Hayter's voice was iconic and completely WAS snake's voice for 15 years.

But his performance in Peace Walker is awful. He's just growling every syllable.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Who knows what Kiefer would have been capable of across multiple games (or even a single complete game), but Hayter put out one of the industry's most iconic performances as Snake. Shit's legendary. Kiefer was hardly even given the opportunity.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Sutherland was fucking horrible and made MGS V nearly unplayable for me.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
When Keifer was allowed to register a blip on the emotion monitor he was pretty good, but Hayter put his all into it constantly. He eventually made Solid Snake, Big Boss, and Old Snake all sound different in subtle ways, and I really feel he strained his vocal cords for the latter two in Peace Walker and MGS4.

I don't exactly mind Keifer though, I actually think it would have been pretty cool if Hayter handled Ground Zeroes and Keifer did TPP, both trying to mimic each other's voice so it's a natural progression. It makes sense to think that Snake's vocal cords got messed up after a 9 year coma, so I don't think it'd give too much away in regards to the final twist. Hell, it makes less sense the way it is now (did they massage Venom's throat to make his vocal cords match EXACTLY?)

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
They fucked up the voice direction in PW and MGS3, but Hayter's performance was top-tier otherwise. Sutherland was shit from the start.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would've liked it if Sutherland was Big Boss from the start (i.e MGS3) and Hayter stayed as Solid Snake. It never made sense to me how David and Eli were twin clones yet Solid both looked and sounded like Big Boss, despite Solidus being created to be an exact duplicate of BB.

The-Demon

Alt account
Banned
Jun 7, 2019
Voted Hayter because he's the OG but also other reasons. If Kiefer had more games, hell even more dialogue then I prob would have picked him. But Hayter gets the nod.

Twiz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Kiefer was incredibly forgettable. If you told me snake didn't talk in MGSV I'd believe you.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He's a good Solid Snake, but not a good Big Boss.

His gravely voice in MGS3 and especially PW showed the limited range he had.
I don't exactly mind Keifer though, I actually think it would have been pretty cool if Hayter handled Ground Zeroes and Keifer did TPP, both trying to mimic each other's voice so it's a natural progression. It makes sense to think that Snake's vocal cords got messed up after a 9 year coma, so I don't think it'd give too much away in regards to the final twist. Hell, it makes less sense the way it is now (did they massage Venom's throat to make his vocal cords match EXACTLY?)
People were already hard at theorizing the twist in TPP well before the game's release. Changing his voice between games would just make everything waaay more obvious.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Sutherland was bad because MGS5 was bad in that regard but let's be honest Hayter was always corny as fuck.