• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CosmicPanda

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Kids today are watching Netflix, Twitch, Youtube, etc. I justed talked to my 11 year old niece and she said that she never watched any of those channels before she just watch videos on her tablet.

She will missed out on

CN CITY

Cartoon Network powerhouse

Lets watch a Disney Channel Movie

Valt Disney Bump

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
What about Fox Kids and Kids WB?

4kids Dub of Pokémon is still the best because of the humour.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Man your niece is a pre-teen girl lol. Her interests are shifting in general. I can comfortably say that working with kids they are all exposed to CW and Nick lol. They just don't have the familiarity with the weekend cartoon blocks that we grew up with—that's because they have unlimited access to cartoons all of the time.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Things kids of today don't know much about:
VCRs
Rotary Phones
Stickball
Hypercolor t-shirts
Garbage Pail Kids
Pogs

Pastimes change. It's part of how life works.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i cant believe kids wont even IRONICALLY talk about pogs!

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
It's not impossible for kids to get interested in older content. I just started to watch the Animaniacs because I heard it was being revived. Most of these tv channels know what's up too. I expect them to keep growing closer to established streaming services.

I bet there are users on ERA who have never used floppy disks or cassette tapes.

That'd be me, I grew up just as CD's were taking off. lol

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
My brother's kids don't have their own tablet (in fact their tablet time is very strictly limited) so they watch cartoons on TV. So yes, they do know of the Cartoon Network.

One of the few I suppose.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
yeah, they also don't know about friday night TGIF on ABC and saturday morning cartoon blocks on all the major networks. so, like, oh well!

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
You'd be surprised.

I'm an elementary school teacher and had a 1st grader tell me all about the Dreamcast last week.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
There isn't much of a difference anymore with the binge scheduling those networks do.

GCQ

Oct 27, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Even if they didn't know the channel, the shows usually have their channel tag on them before each episode on streaming so they'd have *some* awareness of them.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Did you ever wonder what the save icon in Microsoft Word was?

Related, but I'm the technology teacher (switched from 3rd grade ELA, which is what I taught last year) and in a few of the grades we were going over icons/symbols for one of our first units. I asked this same question (although Google Docs, because Word is... irrelevant to most of them, especially since they're largely using Chromebooks). One of the kids said it was an SD card, and I rolled with it because a floppy disk means nothing to them and an SD card is more relevant to them and does essentially the same thing.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
My kid is seven. He has no concept of what a "TV Network" is, because all the media is a massive waterfall of everything from everywhere all at once... logos all over the place, streaming or not

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
i have never seen any of those things in person lol
actually found one of my VH cassettes earlier after hearing the news of Eddie Van Halen passing
image0.jpg

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
In some ways it sucks that the things they look back on fondly won't be the same as ours, but that is ok.

Last edited:

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
My kids are 5 and 8 and watch all 3 of those channels.

In fact we went to the Nickelodeon resort last year and we're planning to go to the Cartoon Network hotel this year before the world fell apart. They are still bummed about not getting to go.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
If anything because of the internet they can binge all of 90's entertainment much faster than we ever could.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Its pretty wild that teenagers nowadays are nostalgic for Disney Channel TV shows I haven't even heard of before.

Mar 30, 2019
This may turn out really interesting in the long run. They will certainly have a very different starting point.

The only loss is the confusion to all my old-ass dank memes.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Remembered when you were growing up and watching Dragonball Z. At the time, you probably thought another cartoon like The Flintstones was so old. The Flintstones premiered in 1960, so it was about 30 years old at that point.

Dragonball Z premiered in Japan in 1989, so it's about 30 years old at this point. Kids these days will think DBZ is just as antiquated as we thought the Flintstones was back then.

Deleted member 12129

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Nickelodeon is still on, my kids watched Spongebob the other day and we took them to a Nickelodeon stage show before COVID showed up

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
My kids are 3, and I'm just glad they like the old stuff as much as the new stuff. Sure I have a Plex server and try to feed them stuff I grew up with, but they love the 30s and 40s Disney shorts as much as the new Paul Rudish Mickey shorts. They've even started watching the 80s Thomas the Tank Engine show, and man, is that super slow paced compared to the new CGI one.

Sure they won't know about TV networks, but I feel that as long as I'm giving them access to the classics, that's as good as I can do.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Remembered when you were growing up and watching Dragonball Z. At the time, you probably thought another cartoon like The Flintstones was so old. The Flintstones premiered in 1960, so it was about 30 years old at that point.

Dragonball Z premiered in Japan in 1989, so it's about 30 years old at this point. Kids these days will think DBZ is just as antiquated as we thought the Flintstones was back then.
I think the feeling is more that such a large majority of kids were limited to the same stuff. If Cartoon Network or Nick ran Looney Tunes, well of course most other kids knew about them because their media is limited to those 2 channels too. We knew what Flintstones was cause Cartoon Network had shown Flintstones. If I had a magic device that only showed me DBZ all day I probably would have never watched Flintstones.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
I think the feeling is more that such a large majority of kids were limited to the same stuff. If Cartoon Network or Nick ran Looney Tunes, well of course most other kids knew about them because their media is limited to those 2 channels too. We knew what Flintstones was cause Cartoon Network had shown Flintstones. If I had a magic device that only showed me DBZ all day I probably would have never watched Flintstones.
The Simpsons is probably a better example, also debuted in 1989.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My three year old watches Cartoon Network almost every day....

Oct 28, 2017
I showed my son a CD and he had no idea what it was. These things happen. Pretty soon your kids will bemoan that "kids these days don't know about Netflix. They are always getting their media on the Tesla network being beamed directly to their brains. "