• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think of Kid Icarus: Uprising?

• Loved it!

Votes: 359 52.4%
  • Ehhhh...it was okay.

Votes: 185 27.0%
  • Hated it.

Votes: 99 14.5%
  • Orange Cassidy

Votes: 42 6.1%

• Total voters

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
It really is an incredible game with a crazy amount of high quality content. Worth it for the initial awkward pain you have to deal with.

The game feels weirdly un-Nintendo too, which is a big reason why it is so cool I suppose.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
It's fine as a game - if you're right handed. If your game needs an accessory just to make it playable, you need to rethink your control scheme.

I wouldn't mind seeing it ported to Switch with better controls though.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
The fact that it's one of my favorite games of all time DESPITE the atrocious controls says all it needs to say about its quality.

Oct 25, 2017
Everything from its presentation, to gameplay, to meta humor, was excellent.

If not for control accessibility issues that don't cramp up your hand, it would have been perfect.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
It should get ported off the 3ds so you never have to use that awful control scheme again.

That game literally hurt to play.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I loved the 3DS but the graphics in this game were too off-putting for me. Just dreadful textures, blocky models, a lot of elements were just flat 2D images, gaudy colors… This game would need a complete remake to make it more artistically consistent and visually pleasing.

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
I love the writing, the presentation is amazing for 3DS, and the flight controls are great. But I don't like the on-foot combat controls and I think the fact the game had to ship with a stand to compensate for its control scheme is kind of evident that some things should have been reconsidered.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
If it had been released on the Wii , with the perfection of Wii pointer + nunchuk controls, it would be far more beloved.

They had the perfect system for the game right in front of them..and they screwed the pooch by putting it on the 3DS with those controls.
The platform choice made zero sense based on the game they designed.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
My feelings of it are pretty mixed but leaning negative. I like the on rails segments and the story and writing is great. But man those ground segments stink with the controls your given. Just physically painful to for me to play. It doesn't really help that my feelings about the game are also coloured by my fan interactions at the old place, accusing me of not playing the game or not spending enough time on it.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dying force-lowering the intensity so the only way you can ever achieve an intensity-related challenge is by beating an entire excruciatingly long level without dying once is enough to keep this game from ever being truly perfect.

That aside, absolute masterpiece.

Gouf

May 17, 2018
If it had been released on the Wii , with the perfection of Wii pointer + nunchuk controls, it would be far more beloved.

They had the perfect system for the game right in front of them..and they screwed the pooch by putting it on the 3DS with those controls.
The platform choice made zero sense based on the game they designed.
It would play a lot slower with Wii pointer controls. It wouldn't even really be the same game.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the most uncomfortable control schemes I've ever encountered. Hated every second of trying to play it.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
I loved the 3DS but the graphics in this game were too off-putting for me. Just dreadful textures, blocky models, a lot of elements were just flat 2D images, gaudy colors… This game would need a complete remake to make it more artistically consistent and visually pleasing.
Look at the enemy designs. The artistic discord is intentional.
Can you buy it digitally?
Yes, it's been available digitally for a while. It even had my Nintendo discounts for a while.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
The MP was great. ARMS is loosely similar but doesn't quite scratch the same itch. I'd love a version of it back, even if you could never quite replicate it exactly without the controls of the 3DS version.

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Dying force-lowering the intensity so the only way you can ever achieve an intensity-related challenge is by beating an entire excruciatingly long level without dying once is enough to keep this game from ever being truly perfect.

That aside, absolute masterpiece.
I mean, that is the challenge, and they're completely optional. It's not like the game has an abundance of cheap deaths to waste your time, beating 9.0 feels earned.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't get past the controls which felt like I was being punished for not having a third arm.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
Was Amazing when I played it long time ago. Not sure how it will fair now. I'd imagine I will be struggling with the controls now specifically the land missions

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that is the challenge, and they're completely optional. It's not like the game has an abundance of cheap deaths to waste your time, beating 9.0 feels earned.

I'm fine with trying to beat a stage at a difficulty level, but the intensity challenges all being one-credit challenges was just way too frustratingly difficult for me. Beating it on 9.0 woulda been hard enough! But they don't even ask you to do it, they only ask you to one-credit it. Fuck! FUCK!!!

sorry I have trauma with this game

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with trying to beat a stage at a difficulty level, but the intensity challenges all being one-credit challenges was just way too frustratingly difficult for me. Beating it on 9.0 woulda been hard enough! But they don't even ask you to do it, they only ask you to one-credit it. Fuck! FUCK!!!

sorry I have trauma with this game
I think I got to like Ch 21 on 9.0 before I gave up. So close, yet soooo far :p

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Somewhere in between "loved it" and "it's okay". It's a B+ game for me. I respect those who love it, and I think the game's campaign basically does everything it sets out to do flawlessly. It's nonstop packed with action and consistently fun the whole way through. But it never really stuck with me the same a lot of big first-party Nintendo games do. Also I didn't stick with it for very long but the multiplayer seemed pretty imbalanced and kinda janky.

The controls are fine. Just use ABXY for aiming for ground segments. I could never play at the higher difficulties with that button layout but for the lower-mid ones it works perfectly.

chiller

Apr 23, 2021
Great writing that's made even better with an excellent localization and VA cast.
I also remember really enjoying the visual design of the world and music.

RpbEojj.png

hmmm
The stand felt fine to me at the time, but I don't think it would if I went back. It doesn't really seem like it's "one size fits all."

Overall, the game is wildly ambitious (especially for one on a handheld) and it would be great to see some kind of port, even if just for posterity.

WakaWaka

Oct 27, 2017
All those complains about the controls! I never understood, why people just didn't get creative.

I found the most comfortable way to play the game, by just putting a pillow in your lap or by laying on a couch with the pillow on your belly and place your hand in the pillow holding the 3ds.

This way you can put your one hand around the device without having to hold it with a cramping hand or the stand. It rest perfectly and, trhus I cold appreciate what sakurai wanted to achieve with the swipping controls; speed + similar feeling you get with a mouse; just try it this way and you will love it!

I ask once again to those who hate the controls, what control scheme on Switch (or any HD port) would retain the speed and precision necessary for clearing this game at 9.0?

I'm not talking about the fact that the left handed controls are sad…unless everyone saying they hate the controls are referring to that…

I asked this last week (or thereabouts), too.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
CTRL+F Persona 4 Golden

There a very few good qualities to Kid Icarus and so I'm struggling to understand if this is a serious thread.
Of course it's a serious thread, it's a seriously great game. Could be uncomfortable for some depending on which 3DS model you had, but great nonetheless.
The multiplayer was pretty awesome as well, I wish there was something else like it.

Persona 4 I could not get into, on the other hand. I put up with it for about 30 hours of playtime and learned I was maybe halfway through the game when I thought it should have been at least starting to wrap up.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Loved everything except playing it. Fun writing, visuals and concept, but gawd I hated playing it.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
It was a pain to play with my big hands, always had cramps.There's a great game hidden behind those weird controls.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Didnt have an issue with controls just thought it was really boring and the ground levels kinda stunk

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
The dog shit controls ruin whatever game is there. Give me the game without absolutely shit controls