• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think of Kid Icarus: Uprising?

• Loved it!

Votes: 359 52.4%
  • Ehhhh...it was okay.

Votes: 185 27.0%
  • Hated it.

Votes: 99 14.5%
  • Orange Cassidy

Votes: 42 6.1%

• Total voters

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot stress enough how much I love this game.

And this soundtrack:

Anyway, I just wanted everyone to know.

Last edited:

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I could never really click with the controls. I wanted to love it but it was a bit of a slog for me.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
It's a really great game but I could never completely overcome the controls in a comfortable fashion; and I despise the resolution of the 3DS screen.

A 1080p/60 re-release with adjusted controls could definitely be a Top Ten of All Time though. But as it is, on the hardware it was released on, it was "pretty good

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
You're right in every aspect

I'll always say it - if this was a console game it'd have been 90+ Metacritic and viewed as one of the greatest games of all time

Pyroblazer

Oct 30, 2017
A well-made game completely murdered by awful controls unfortunately. Would love to see it getting another try on Switch.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I still have a ton of those cards, and yes I really loved that game and I miss it dearly.
It blew my mind that everything they showed before release about this game was up until Medusa and the biggest chunk of the game is actually after that.

OsramTaleka

Nov 25, 2020
Greatest handheld game of all time is pretty meaningless with the Switch and Steamdeck in existence.

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
Another thread that makes me regret never being able to own a 3DS. I keep waiting for this game to be re-released on Switch, along with Mother 3 and Metroid: Samus Returns...

Gouf

May 17, 2018
It's a really great game. I think one of its biggest issues is the weapon variety though. Outside of the clubs, a lot of the weapon types feel extremely similar in their rapid fire nature, which is a bit disappointing for a shooter.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I wanted to really really like it but gave up on it due to terrible controls, awkward camera in the ground and overall terrible resolution and ground textures.

This is one of those games that came out on the absolutely wrong platform. Fuck the 3ds

Hope Nintendo/ sakurai gives this series another try though cause story and characters were great

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll forever be mad that I can't play this game as a lefty without buying a separate attachment. 😡

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
I've been saying it for years. Best handheld game ever. Top 10 of all time for me

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
The controls are absolute garbage. The flying levels are good. The ground missions are utter shit. Not a good game overall. Presentation is one of the best on the system though.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Wonderful presentation, great writing, good on-rails sections, but ultimately the ground sections make what should be one of my favourite games on the system something that I find just OK and couldn't even bring myself to finish. The controls are the biggest problem, but there are also some Sakurai-isms in the game design that I'm not the biggest fan of, but still keep showing up in his games.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I love this game so much. There's just so much content to mess around with. I even loved the multiplayer even though I didn't know what the fuck I was doing

And they graced us with the best "dark" version of a character

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I guess if you have massive hands and are quadruple jointed. Honestly one of the worst games I've ever played. Controls destroyed it.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's a great game, I agree. But oof, that control scheme.

OP
OP
ElectricBlanketFire

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

4160196ff06801e67d4beb19d5e3e25d.gif

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I bought it day 1 and sadly could not get into it at all. I loved kid icarus as a kid and really wanted to like it, but I guess rail shooters just arent for me.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
The controls kind of disqualify it as a portable game because you need a stand to play it on to make it semi-acceptable.

To add salt to the wound, the 3ds actually has an accessory that solves this games problem by adding an additional analog stick and Uprising ADVERTISES this accessory on its box but they just use it to flip the controls!

I felt borderline scammed.

Zeiretto

Oct 30, 2017
I love this game. Yeah the controls aren't ideal but I can adapt. I really hope it comes to Switch someday though, but I wonder if the gameplay can be adjusted to twin sticks instead of stylus aiming. Gyro controls can help out alot I reckon.

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yea if you're a lobster or some other crustacean. Years later people still trying to gloss over those shit controls.

PonyStation

Banned
May 24, 2019
CTRL+F Persona 4 Golden

There a very few good qualities to Kid Icarus and so I'm struggling to understand if this is a serious thread.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
At its best it's a fantastic game but it's uneven and the controls don't always work well. Maybe if they remake it for Labo VR 2 with good controls it could be something special but it's not in my top 5 3DS games even. Probably not top 10.

Mad Gamer 64

Nov 6, 2017
Definitely one of the best 3DS games at least. Never got the whining about the controls either (outside of the awkwardness if you're a lefty), took me 10 minutes to get used to then I was set. I think I managed to finish most or all of the stages on the highest difficulty eventually.

I also put at least 50 hours into the multiplayer. That was really well-done too and super fun to get good at.

Santerestil

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Platform sections are bad and worsened by Pit trotting instead of walking, but the fly sequences are basically the best Space Harrier game ever made.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Good game with tons of replay value, and the production values are excellent for 3DS.

I put in lots of hours, but I don't think about it much these days. The control scheme is really bad for the wrists, and that stops it from being a classic.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Hope he does another one with dual stick controls on Switch. Maybe a surprise reveal for 2022 because it will be 4 years since he released Smash and there should be another game coming from him. Hope it's not a new Smash but a new Kid Icarus.