• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017

Another two game month! Will add Japanese games when that's announced.

The precedent so far is Japan only games don't come to the west, so will StarTropics be on the Japanese service?

EDIT: Threadmarked the Japanese selection for the month.

Last edited:

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Star Tropics, finally. Kid Icarus is great too.

I might bother to reinstall the NES Online app.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Remember the good ol' days when we got a whopping 3 NES games a month?

(at least StarTropics is one of the best NES games)

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cool but... Are they really sticking to a worse drip then ever before?!

Japanese Games

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Man, Japan really kicks USA's ass this month, once again getting three to our two:

Kid Icarus (Famicom Disk System ver), Yie Ar Kung-Fu, and Fire Emblem

...also, I'm curious how Uncle Steve's letter will be handled for this version of StarTropics. In the case of the NES Classic Edition, players were referred to the web instruction manual to find it.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Hey Kid Icarus, I guessed right for once.

Two games is still absurd though since 4 a month would actually match the pace of Wii U VC, so I wonder if Japan gets two JPN only games and that's why we got Star tropics since we'd only get one otherwise. Wouldn't be surprised if they're blackbox third party filler though. We'll be spared if they got Atlantis no Nazo

Edit: OH, Yie Ar Kungfu? Yeah, that's a great one. Fire emblem is too, finally glad we got that. Good month overall since we actually did get four games this way. Punch out is probably next month's major game before they move onto SNES or third party/black box stuff

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Wasn't this the game with the weird puzzle that needed the manual? How're they making it work digitally?

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
I would be way more down for this if they gave some Japanese-only games like Fire Emblem full localisations. Or at least add Earthbound Beginnings (the NSO option of some games having easier modified ROMs would be super great here)

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
So yeah if we didn't get ST we literally would have had nothing besides KI. Guessing they'll reserve STII for later as a backup game for the same reason since the amount of US exclusive games are eclipsed by Japanese exclusive ones... kinda proving that this service was made with a very limiting and Japan first mindset. Expect 2 a month in the west from now on due to the sheer volume of Japan only games on the famicom.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Literally the only Nintendo console I don't care about

Metallia

May 31, 2018
Kid Icarus is a solid choice, been playing Uprising again recently and I really need to give the original a go.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Not familiar with that game, is it really bad?

This version is a shorter, stripped-down port of the arcade original (which is a must-play), but if you're an NES Online subscriber, you should definitely give the Famicom one a spin.

And like most of the other Famicom Disk System versions of NES games, you'll wanna load the JPN version of Kid Icarus for the superior sound alone. (All of the text is in English.) The differences between both versions, if you're curious:

• Due to the FDS's advanced soundfont, most of the music and sound effects are more enhanced compared to the NES version.
  • There is a file select and naming system similar to that of The Legend of Zelda.
  • Medusa isn't seen in humanoid form after her defeat in the FDS version; the eye simply vanishes, and Pit walks into the opening.
  • The worst ending in the FDS version features Pit being turned into a Specknose for taking too long to rescue Palutena instead of being turned into a farmer. Likewise, the best ending in the NES version (where Pit becomes a full-grown angel and receives a kiss from Palutena) is removed. In its place is the second-best ending from the NES version, where Pit simply becomes a full-grown angel.
  • There are no credits in the FDS version, and the background for the ending is stark-black instead of a temple setting.
    • On a related note, the ending in the FDS version is a static screen, whereas the NES version's ending is fully animated.
  • The haggling system is altered; someone must shout into the microphone on the Famicom's second controller, instead of pressing A and B on the NES's second controller.

Source

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I can't be too mad since they just gave us Tetris 99, but I hope they do more stuff like Tetris 99 in the future or start adding better consoles to the online app.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Are these nes game offerings;
1) like gamepass, available for a limited time and once they're gone you'll have to buy to continue using
2) psplus, available for a limited time but once you've got it it's yours as lingn as you have a sub
3) always available as long as you have subscription, library will just keep getting bigger, no game removals?

Oct 27, 2017
1) like gamepass, available for a limited time and once they're gone you'll have to buy to continue using
2) psplus, available for a limited time but once you've got it it's yours as lingn as you have a sub
3) always available as long as you have subscription, library will just keep getting bigger, no game removals?
Number 3. There is a possibility 3rd party stuff could leave one day, but most of the catalog is Nintendo owned.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Two great games this month, I'm satisfied.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada

Number 3 unless some of the third party games go away but I don't think Nintendo will let that happen.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017

The third. I have a feeling the reason they're being ultra picky with third party releases with NSO is to avoid any games being delisted in the future, so no NES Tetris or TMNT unfortunately.

I think they modded that out of the wii nes version

No it was in the e-manual for both Wii and Wii U versions and I think the NES Classic just told you to go online to the website. Don't know how it'll work here unless it's part of the game description