• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
You cant request/cancel it yourself, you would need to write the company a mail, they make a counter transaction back to you.

Are we time traveling into the past while bringing cyberpunk technology with us? Soon we will have a new postal service of cyber knights riding electronic horses to deliver mail back and forth. It was inevitable.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
Are we time traveling into the past while bringing cyberpunk technology with us? Soon we will have a new postal service of cyber knights riding electronic horses to deliver mail back and forth. It was inevitable.
"E-Mail" :P

Sorry, "Mailing" is used as a loan word in German and just means sending an e-mail, but I like your idea more, so lets stick with that.

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
what does this improve?
The gist so far is that its a gamble on people adopting Blockchain in a few years and being fine with using it.

I agree though, that its not a useful or even remotely worthwhile gamble as there are no inherent benefits for their business processes from it, or PR, or actual relevant funding processes.

Nobody wants to be the person/business who isn't in this space in the event it actually is truly legit.
This I suppose.

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
Bah. I assumed you were being sarcastic and my mind went wild. Either way, I'm not getting further involved with crypto. I helped an upcoming crypto currency once with their customer service platform and I decided to just drop it after meeting some weird people.
I did like your fantasy. Its now my headcanon for crypto related customer service.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense.

Smart contracts are literally Kickstarter's use case. You want to be able to put money into a hold and only release it when certain conditions are met -- and most importantly you can do this without a third party (aka Kickstarter the company) actually holding onto the funds while the transition is made.

It's probably pretty scary to their existing business model because the whole reason they get to charge the premium is because they handle the handover of cash.

Yeah, smart contracts was my first thought, here.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
The gist so far is that its a gamble on people adopting Blockchain in a few years and being fine with using it.

I agree though, that its not a useful or even remotely worthwhile gamble as there are no inherent benefits for their business processes from it, or PR, or actual relevant funding processes.

This I suppose.
Got it, that makes sense. Beyond my personal feelings about this stuff I genuinely couldn't think of a viable reason to do this. Thanks!

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

Long term play to improve their relevancy (and existence, to be honest) in a world where creative transactions are handled mostly in blockchain.

Idk what y'all want from me. It's really not that hard to go research this stuff. You can disagree that it will be successful, but the constant "omg this is stupid" comments in these types of threads comes across really silly.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Long term play to improve their relevancy (and existence, to be honest) in a world where creative transactions are handled mostly in blockchain.

Idk what y'all want from me. It's really not that hard to go research this stuff. You can disagree that it will be successful, but the constant "omg this is stupid" comments in these types of threads comes across really silly.
Thats not an answer.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

Because your answer is redundant. They're doing it because it might be worth it in the future, but only if it's adopted by others to make it worth it. It's all speculative bullshit, it's whole goal is to convince others that it's worth it so the people investing in it now make money. Greed doesn't answer the base question, "Why does it need to exist in the first place".

Take potential future earnings out of the question completely, what does this do?

Last edited:

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I assume part of the logic behind it is that Crypto bros have shown themselves to be gullible idiots happy to throw money at pointless things as long as they're connected to the blockchain. So having easier ways to draw them in and spend their money makes sense.
There is a perception that crypto and blockchain is the new hotness and companies should jump onboard if they want to be part of the future. NFTs in particular are being seen as a way to get dumb money.

Most old school business isn't falling for it, yet.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017

I think the answer we're all looking for is "why does it need to involve the blockchain"? Because right now, the stuff Kickstarter plans to do with it:
  • Transaction processing
  • Allow the creation of 3rd party sites using the Kickstarter platform
Can already be done right now without blockchain. Kickstarter can transition over to crypto tomorrow without needing to rewrite their platform for the blockchain. I'm scratching my head exactly what blockchain brings to the table aside from a fancy buzzword for marketing purposes.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
NFT's as backer rewards baby!

Star Citizen would have made billions instead of hundreds of millions if they had done this.

/sarcasm

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
You cant request/cancel it yourself, you would need to write the company a mail, they make a counter transaction back to you.

If a centralized decision-maker needs to be able to reverse any transaction, this seems like a bad use case for decentralized payments.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I'm awaiting the opening of a blockchain pizza where we use blockchain to order pizza.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand the benefit. Isn't crypto difficult to cash out? Isn't being able to easily access the money earned from a Kickstarter campaign extremely important? Seems like it would just create more hurdles and make Kickstarter a worse platform for crowdfunding.

shacklesmcgee

Oct 25, 2017
I can't with this shit anymore. Everyone getting in on it even if it makes no fucking sense at all just for the $$$

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
I swear half of the reason "blockchain" has become some buzzword to tech bro investors the world over is simply because people yearn for history to be cyclical. Early 2000's nostalgia is in vogue right now, and companies all think we're due a new version of the Dot Com Boom. Except the blockchain frequently offers nothing new or any kind of solution over what we already have.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
…Why?

Like, what improvement would this make? What problem does it solve?
It solves the problem of Kickstarter not being somehow related to crypto and blockchain stuff, and thus losing out on interest - and lots of money - from speculative investors.

Like, that's the entire reason why all of this shit is so hot right now. There's money in it, or at least the strong belief that there's money in it.

Or in GIF form:
IpHu8p5.gif

Lidl

Dec 12, 2017
Ok, boomers, time to learn a new term:

A decentralized autonomous organization (DAO), sometimes called a decentralized autonomous corporation (DAC), is an organization represented by rules encoded as a computer program that is transparent, controlled by the organization members and not influenced by a central government. A DAO's financial transaction record and program rules are maintained on a blockchain. The precise legal status of this type of business organization is unclear.

Kickstarter is probably seeing this is a threat. In the long run, that is.

The last bigger DAO that was in the news was this:
www.theverge.com

From a meme to $47 million: ConstitutionDAO, crypto, and the future of crowdfunding

ConstitutionDAO raised $47 million to try to govern a copy of the US Constitution on the blockchain.

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
If a centralized decision-maker needs to be able to reverse any transaction, this seems like a bad use case for decentralized payments.
Almost every problem encountered by blockchain is solved by relying on centralized authorities, defeating the main reason for blockchain's existence.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I don't understand the benefit. Isn't crypto difficult to cash out? Isn't being able to easily access the money earned from a Kickstarter campaign extremely important? Seems like it would just create more hurdles and make Kickstarter a worse platform for crowdfunding.

Presumably you would get the crypto and then Kickstarter would offer to cash it out for you, or you can cash it out some other way.

That's an improvement over the situation where you completely and utterly rely on KS (or another crowdfunding site) releasing funds to you.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This would make sense if it was more like Fig and funders were expecting a return on their investment in addition to or instead of a product, but I don't see how it would provide any benefit for a crowdfunding site that doesn't offer returns for investors.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
The weird ass ResetERA reaction to this stuff continues. This isn't a big deal (though, big development) and is just an improvement/long term play to how their infrastructure functions.
Can you back up how exactly this is a net improvement over their existing infrastructure? The use case of a blockchain is to log transactions across a distributed ledger, presumably because you want to avoid a single entity holding ownership over the record of transactions. What about Kickstarter's platform is going to be improved by shifting to that for their backend? The article doesn't mention if they're going to license or open source the tech to do this, and that final product translating into a true decentralized take on Kickstarter isn't guarenteed either, especially given the lead Kickstarter already has in the space. It makes some logical sense for someone to create tech like this, but it makes no sense for Kickstarter to do this since they begin a centralized company is antithetical to the main selling point of a blockchain platform.

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, boomers, time to learn a new term:

A decentralized autonomous organization (DAO), sometimes called a decentralized autonomous corporation (DAC), is an organization represented by rules encoded as a computer program that is transparent, controlled by the organization members and not influenced by a central government. A DAO's financial transaction record and program rules are maintained on a blockchain. The precise legal status of this type of business organization is unclear.

Kickstarter is probably seeing this is a threat. In the long run, that is.

The last bigger DAO that was in the news was this:
www.theverge.com

From a meme to $47 million: ConstitutionDAO, crypto, and the future of crowdfunding

ConstitutionDAO raised $47 million to try to govern a copy of the US Constitution on the blockchain.

What benefit does this actually give?

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
Can you back up how exactly this is a net improvement over their existing infrastructure? The use case of a blockchain is to log transactions across a distributed ledger, presumably because you want to avoid a single entity holding ownership over the record of transactions. What about Kickstarter's platform is going to be improved by shifting to that for their backend? The article doesn't mention if they're going to license or open source the tech to do this, and that final product translating into a true decentralized take on Kickstarter isn't guarenteed either, especially given the lead Kickstarter already has in the space. It makes some logical sense for someone to create tech like this, but it makes no sense for Kickstarter to do this since they begin a centralized company is antithetical to the main selling point of a blockchain platform.
I am getting around to understandin the idea of it. I still dont see a benefit for their platform or the users, but it would make them seem more investment friendly or for future blockchain tech startup projects. If they consider those startups to rake in the big money in a few years, this "could" be a solid decision to make their platform seem more authentic to them and potential tech investors.

Still not sure if its a worthwhile gamble though.

Toma

Oct 25, 2017
None. The entire thing will forever be a scam.
I was working with a few companies investing into blockchain ideas and I actually do believe there could be some very neat use cases there, but I agree that its heavily tainted with NFT crap and people cashing in on a bubble.

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
So what are we reacting to here exactly? What does "move to blockchain" actually mean in practice?

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Why would crypto be difficult to cash out? You press the sell button on an exchange.