• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just to be on a more positive note compared to the other thread, what games did you backed on kickstarter that you absolutely love?

For me, one of the first game I ever backed and it was prior to the Double Fine Adventure blow out

Cognition an Erika Reed Thriller: A point and click adventure, a bit gore, very good. But what I really liked about it was that I was part of the beta, testing every chapter, while the devs was watching us playing in Google Hangout, it was really really interesting.

The Banner Saga 1-3: While they didn't do a kickstarter for the second game, I fell in love with the first game the first time I've seen the kickstarter trailer of it. And when I played it, it was everything I was hoping for : beautiful hand drawn background, simple but interesting combat mechanic, choices that really do matter, difficulty just enough difficult, beautiful music by the composer Austin Wintory (Journey) and feature two musician youtuber that I was watching a lot at the time, Taylor Davis (main violin) and Malukah (north song vocal), so yep, for me it was a homerun.

Night in the Woods : Again, I fell in love with the trailer of this game before backing it. The Dialogs are witty, characters are fun to talk to, it was the perfect game I needed to play at that time of year, especially since I related so much of the main character, Mae, college dropout suffering from depression.

Now im waiting on Ikenfell, a strange rpg that give me Earthbound feeling.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
Cosmic Star Heroine.
I think it's a first time in a while I was legitimately surprised at a party member betraying me.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
I backed some excellent games that i am very happy with!

Shadowrun Returns, Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin, Satellite Reign, Kingdom Come, Shadowrun: Hong Kong, Battle Chasers: Nightwar, The Dwarves,Battletech, Divinity 2, Banner Saga 3...

I get it that bad experiences can turn you off, but it is always sad to see people argue against the concept of Kickstarter, seeing how many great games came from it over the past 5 year!

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
Shovel knight. Loved the game and the fact that they updated it further. Also pillars.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever Bloodstained turns out to be (I'm hopeful though), I feel I already got my money's worth with Curse of the Moon.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
header.jpg

Overload_pre-release_Steam_header.jpg

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
I didn't back the first game, but I was straight in for Divinity: Original Sin 2, and it turned out to be even better.

I really liked Hollow Knight too, and although it's not my favourite game in its genre a measly 10 Australian dollars for that and the sequel for free is still one of the bargains of the decade.

TheAggroCraig

One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I don't hate Yooka Laylee, but the fact I put in so much money for what I got made it feel so goddamn terrible to the point where I still haven't finished the game.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lit, but my absolute favorites are SUPERHOT and Shovel Knight. Also the Oculus Rift in general.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
I actually didn't back it, but Shovel Knight is amazing. What a game.

(I also think that there's nothing "negative" about acknowledging disappointment, despite what the first sentence of the OP seems to insinuate.)

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
Shovel Knight, Undertale, Hyper Light Drifter, Night in the Woods, ROM: Read Only Memories, Battle Chef Brigade, Retro Game Crunch, Shadowgate.

Definitely love those first two the most though.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I backed both Pillars of Eternity games and Divinity OS2 and really enjoyed all three.
Also, after playing Hollow Knight I thoroughly regret not backing it.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Battlechasers is one of the best JRPGs I've played in a long time. I'm a person that really only cares about dungeons and battle systems, so it was right up my alley. Perfect graphics that really show off Joe Mad's style, great music, awesome character designs. I love the game and really hope we get a 2nd.

Indivisible from the demos we've played and everything we've seen is looking like a classic as well.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Banner Saga for sure. It was my first Kickstarter and just a fantastic series that delivered full fold.

Pillars of Eternity remains my most favorite though.

maneauleau

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Good ones I backed:
Shovel Knight and Hyper Light Drifter and they couldn't have turned out better than they did!

Still pending:
  • Shenmue 3: it will be a success for me if we get something similar to Shenmue 1 and 2 but with modern controls, exciting new story and nicer graphics
  • Little Devil Inside : I am not sure this one will ever come out as the communication is seldom and the progress uncertain. I love the graphic style and the ideas so fingers crossed.
  • Heart Forth Alicia : pure pixel art joy. Gameplay and music look promising too. I just hope it will release on Switch as I don't need it on Wii U now :D
Bad one I backed:
Armikrog: First of all I didn't know one of the staff was apparently anti LGBT. Secondly although the game came out which is already a prowess for Kickstarter it ended being pretty average...

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Somehow I seem to only back the mediocre games and miss the greats. The best one I've backed is Hyper Light Drifter which I consider an 8/10.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All the ones I like, I didn't back.
Bloodstained, hopefully?

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero - Kinda bummed they didn't hit the animated intro/cutscene stretch goal.
FTL

Haven't really played Dreamfall Chapters and Broken Age yet.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Battle Chasers Nightwar. While it did have some launch bugs that sucked and it wasn't perfect I was very happy with it and am glad I backed it. Really hope for a sequel, had a great chill and upbeat ost for a turn based rpg.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I was a massive fan of Chivalry, so I backed Mordhau for $100. I'm happy to say that it's better than Chiv in almost every way, wondrously fun game.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Of those I've backed, Hyper Light Drifter and Cosmic Star Heroine are both great.

Kickstarter I didn't back but played since: Divinity, Hollow Knigh and Shovel Knight were all top tier.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I've played distressingly few of the games I've backed; the first half of Broken Age (which I was satisfied with, but the gap made it tricky to come back for the second half) and Shovel Knight are the only two off the top of my head. That said, though, Shovel Knight has been a resounding success; and even then I still haven't got around to Plague of Shadows and Specter of Torment.

The vast amount of choice in my library is the problem, not the games!

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
I've backed three games total, and I loved them all:

Double Fine Adventure (Broken Age)
The Banner Saga
Amplitude HD

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Amplitude. I really enjoyed it and seeing my name in the credits for a Harmonix game was incredibly cool.

Ultimadrago

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't loved a single game I've backed yet. I have loved several Kickstarter games I didn't back, however.

I can't tell if this is bad luck or dealing with investment and perceived perception.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Broken Age/Double Fine Adventure - My favorite of the point&click adventure game kickstarters. It nailed the structure of the old LucasArts classic, and while not flawless, it delivered on puzzles, challenges, distinct art style, dialogs and humour.

Massive Chalice - It took a long time before I got around to really playing this. And it's a gem. It has some issues with you not being able to rename houses and characters, and the random events are way to random with the outcome. But it has a fantastic art style, great character classes, and really great enemies.

Others I've backed: Broken Sword 5, Pillars of Eternity, Wings Remastered, Moebius, Tex Murphy, Wasteland 3.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
The kickstarter games I funded I've enjoyed, but I don't think I've loved any of them. The ones I've loved seem to be the ones I didn't kickstarted myself.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Night in the Woods, Broken Age, Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2, Divinity Original Sin, Shadowrun

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Hyper Light Drifter, Shante, Cosmic Star Heroine, and Shovel Knight. All of them very very good games and why I'm not soured on crowdfunding games. These are gems that most likely would not exist had we not helped with funding them. I'm waiting on Bloodstained and Heart Forth Alicia and they're looking pretty damn good. I'm strongly considering jumping on that R-Type final 2 kickstarter myself.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I backed Double Fine Adventure (which in my opinion was worth it for the documentary alone).
I didn't like the second act as much as the first one, but I still loved it all.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
i made a thread like this a couple of months back - semed more people had positivethan negative experiences

for my Hyper Light Drifter was the standout

i also did enjoy Godus before they abandoned it. Yooka Laylee was fine.