• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sauce

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...80s-action-rpg-diablo-meets-earth/description

Just saw this on the anniversary stream of the publisher, Dangen Entertainment (known for Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight on Switch and Iconoclasts), and thought it looked pretty neat. From the Kickstarter:

Kingdom of Night is an isometric, story-driven, action-RPG with an expansive, interconnected map and quest system. Battle nightmarish creatures, customize your abilities, and collect unique items and equipment. In order to beat the game, you'll have to infiltrate the massive lairs of the five demon lords, and take on the apocalyptic boss battles at their centers.

One night 198X in the small town of Watford, Arizona, a satanic cult has unwittingly summoned the ancient evil Baphomet catapulting the town into chaos. John, awoken by the kidnapping of his neighbor Ophelia, sets out into the town to fight back against the demonic invasion and rescue Ophelia before it's too late.

520e448b0e6ce95c5daf9b0269daa800_original.png

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Seems more like Diablo meets Stranger Things. Anyways the music and atmosphere are great but I'm unsure of that gameplay. Will keep an eye on it.

OP
OP
sauce

sauce

Oct 25, 2017
Seems more like Diablo meets Stranger Things. Anyways the music and atmosphere are great but I'm unsure of that gameplay. Will keep an eye on it.
On the stream they mentioned they were still streamlining the gameplay. They have a playable slice although I'm not sure if that'll be made available to us right now.

OP
OP
sauce

sauce

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I forgot to mention is that it comes with a DnD campaign apparently. From the Kickstarter page:

The notebook also doubles as a source book for the Kingdom of Night table top role-playing game. The source book is fully compatible with Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition and includes maps, monsters, and special rules- all the information you need to sit down and start playing with your friends.

Comes with a DM screen at the $75 tier, which comes with a physical copy of the game (dice and a custom made screen are at the $150 tier).

325c18cbc07d3cd4add563d4f8bf9969_original.png

Last edited:

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't look good. It looks absolutely amazing. I'm beyond sold on it. Have a total stranger things vibe to it too so I'm beyond sold.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Not a huge fan of the color palette, but like everything else including what I see of the combat. Wish we could have seen gameplay of some of the other class options though or more weapons (unless the baseball bat is all you get).

OP
OP
sauce

sauce

Oct 25, 2017
Not a huge fan of the color palette, but like everything else including what I see of the combat. Wish we could have seen gameplay of some of the other class options though or more weapons (unless the baseball bat is all you get).
I don't think the baseball bat is the only thing you get. I think it's just a representative of the weapon type, per this image:

47d8200477fc1d6755d98abf1fa32994_original.gif

But I'm mostly just basing that assumption off this section:

Finding The Best Gear - In Kingdom of Night, you can get new equipment in a number of ways: via random drops with multi-tiered loot tables and variable drop rates, quest rewards, and by finding items hidden throughout the town. Items range from totally Common to completely Unique. The items you collect provide an extra dimension to character stat development and have special abilities that will make you even more powerful.

As for other classes, I think we see the necromancer class in the trailer?

OP
OP
sauce

sauce

Oct 25, 2017
If a mod wants to edit the title to say Stranger Things instead of Earthbound, feel free lol. I just copied the kickstarter's subtitle.

Just wanted to note that it's only been like 2 hours since this KS launched and it's already at 1,757 out of its 10,000 goal. That's pretty rad! I looked at its stretch goals, and I'm pretty confused what the thing at the bottom could be. My guess is that it's a demon? Maybe Satan? Not sure.

c9be6e942338902879a2f7b0e04a671b_original.png

Last edited:

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
At this point it seems compulsory for a Kickstarter game with pixel graphics to mention EarthBound in some capacity. I guess I can see it with the small town America, wake up in your bedroom and grab a baseball bat stuff. I like the vibe of it, regardless.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
That actually looks really cool, but yeah I see it as more Stranger Things than Earthbound. That said I'm totally up for modern-ish/real world horror rpgs, haven't really had anything like that since Shadow Hearts.

OP
OP
sauce

sauce

Oct 25, 2017
It's been about half a day and it's already more than halfway funded at 5,749/10,000!

Gematsu also did a write up on it if you wanted to check that out.

OP
OP
sauce

sauce

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to give one last bump to say it's been funded within 48 hours of opening the kickstarter! It's also already met its first stretch goal of adding more music, and they've released a sample:

They've also announced beta access for tiers 75+:
Our second announcement is something some of you have already been asking about: EARLY ACCESS. As of now beta access is going to be available for everyone who's pledged enough to receive a physical copy ($75+ tiers). That means our backers will be getting an exclusive hands on look at Kingdom of Night before the game releases.

They're only a few hundred off of meeting the next stretch goal, which is a boss rush.

OP
OP
sauce

sauce

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so why kickstarter? I tried to find a reason why on the page but couldnt find one.
Probably because the publisher is pretty small scale, so they needed the extra funds - just like how Indivisible got 505 Games on board while their kickstarter was running.

Also, boss rush mode got unlocked:
After completing the main game you'll be able to take your max level character, including items, into the Land of Nod and face the demons down a second time. On their home turf these evil archons are even more dangerous. Think Beelzebub was tough the first time? Try facing him while two Weirwolves run you down!

Boss Rush Mode will provide totally new challenges, new fight dynamics, and even new rewards. But don't take our word for it, find out for yourself when Kingdom of Night releases!

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Just found this thread! Just wanted to let all of you now that we just unlocked the stretch goal for local co-op. We've got some exciting stretch goals coming up at the end!

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think the baseball bat is the only thing you get. I think it's just a representative of the weapon type, per this image:

47d8200477fc1d6755d98abf1fa32994_original.gif

But I'm mostly just basing that assumption off this section:

As for other classes, I think we see the necromancer class in the trailer?
230px-Master_Roshi.jpg

Forgot to put the rest of my post.
Looks fun! I love both diablo and stranger things so def my type of game. Didn't know this game existed till now.

OP
OP
sauce

sauce

Oct 25, 2017
Just found this thread! Just wanted to let all of you now that we just unlocked the stretch goal for local co-op. We've got some exciting stretch goals coming up at the end!
Yup, just saw that now! That's awesome. I'm pretty impatient to see the rest of the stretch goals you've been sitting on. Honestly though, I'm just glad the extra class ones got met, since they all seemed interesting.

230px-Master_Roshi.jpg

Forgot to put the rest of my post.
Looks fun! I love both diablo and stranger things so def my type of game. Didn't know this game existed till now.
I knew he reminded me of someone!

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
We've actually got a really awesome stretch goal announcement coming tomorrow morning PDT. It's something for the personal bucket list.

OP
OP
sauce

sauce

Oct 25, 2017
All the stretch goals have been announced! Last ones are more enemy animations at 45K and procedural generation mode at 50K. There's 62 hours left to go and they've raised about 40.5K. Vince DiCola's now collaborating on the soundtrack.

They had a Reddit AMA yesterday, if you want to check that out.