• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I backed Hollow Knight, D:OS, PoE, D:OS2, Shovel Knight and a few others that I can't quite remember.

Pretty on point quality wise I'd say.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Mighty No 9- backed for $20- I actually think I got my money's worth- if I pledged more for physical items that were lame/late/nonexistent, I'd be pissed. But I got the game day one.

Yooka Laylee- Pledged $30 for digital version- also fine with this. Product was exactly what was promised- Banjo Kazooie Revival. Got money worth.

Friday the 13th- the game- I personally loved this, even if it was quite buggy at first, fun as hell. Even with it effectively killed by the devs after a year, I had enough fun to justify the $20 spent.

And then there are Bloodstained and Shenmue 3- jury's still out, but I'm optimistic. Plus the Bloodstained Curse of the Moon was an unexpected freebie and was cool as shit already and worth playing.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I backed Kingdom Come and the game is good but the creator is racist so that sucked

Jan 4, 2018
I've backed Shadowrun Hong Kong and both Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2. Ive been more than satisfied with all three and should Larian use kickstarter for Original Sin 3 I plan to back it at a higher tier than I usually do.

Slixshot

Oct 27, 2017
Hyper Light Drifter is the best game to have come out of Kickstarter — have $100 to the cause.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I backed Mighty No 9, Bloodstained and Happy Hell. MN9 was...yeah. What I've played and seen of Bloodstained seems like it'll definitely scratch that Metroidvania itch. Happy Hell Im writing off as never happening. Haven't had an update for it in a long time.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
Was reaaal close to backing Mighty No. 9, but fortunately didn't end up contributing to that mess, lol.

Unfortunately ended up backing Yooka Laylee later, which I was thoroughly disappointed with...

Solobbos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
The Binding of Isaac: Four Souls - Was enjoyable, well worth the purchase

The Good Life - Not released yet

Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey - Still need to get a PC powerful enough to play the game. Ran icky on PS4.

Pillars of Eternity - Haven't played yet, heard it's good

Carmageddon: Reincarnation - Backed because I loved Carmageddon 2 when I was a kid, haven't played it yet.

Wasteland 2 - Haven't played yet, heard it's good.

Broken Age - Was ok, the ending was meh.

Can't really say I've got my money's worth but hey, showing support is what matters.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't a pixel graphics style game, that some thought, but otherwise it was very much a game in the veins of old LucasArts classics.
Not really imo. Thimbleweed Park was much closer to what I was expecting. Not even talking about the graphics. I didn't hate it or anything, but it felt like a modern point and click and not a classic one.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
So far the only one I haven't been happy with was Strafe. The initial release was disappointing, and once it got updated I can't even launch it.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Not really imo. Thimbleweed Park was much closer to what I was expecting. Not even talking about the graphics. I didn't hate it or anything, but it felt like a modern point and click and not a classic one.

Thimbleweed Park is like Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken.
Broken Age is more like Day of the Tentacle and Sam&Max.

Both are variations of LucasArts classic adventures, which was part of the pitch for the project.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I backed Shenmue 3 and I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. Looking forward to playing it in August.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Released
Tower Unite - released, game is very good.
KARAKARA - Boring VN
ARCANA HEART 3 SIX STARS - released, pretty good
Yooka-Laylee - released, game was good
Tower 57 - released, haven't played it much but rather good
De Mambo - released, never played
Muv-Luv - released, haven't read it yet
Friday the 13th - released, bad game
Root Double - released, good game
The Grisaia Trilogy - released, haven't read it yet
A Hat in Time - released and awesome!
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero - released and pretty good
Mighty No. 9 - released, have just slightly tested but seems very ok-ish.
Hyper Light Drifter - released, but never played
Hover - released, kinda cool but seems cheap overall

In dev
Indivisible - Nothing released - Est Jan 2018
Subverse - kickstarter just started but the team seems grounded - Est Jan 2020
Re:Legend - beta released, wasn't very good - Est Jun 2018
Knuckle Sandwich - Nothing released - Est Jan 2019
Temtem - beta released, seems good - Est Sep 2019
A Clockwork Ley-Line - partially released, not read but heard its a botched release for now - Est Jan 2018
Pixel Noir - small demo released, seems promising - Est Nov 2016
Heart Forth, Alicia - Nothing released - Est Apr 2015
Children of Morta - Betas have been released and seems ok, full game not out yet - Est Oct 2015
Bloodstained - Side game and beta/Demo released, seems promising - Est Mar 2017

Abandoned
Code Hero - Nothing released - Est Feb 2012
Project Phoenix - Nothing released - Est Mar 2015

ninjabot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Always wanted to back Bloodstained but never got around to it. Just recently backed Subverse though.

Emko

Oct 3, 2018
Slovakia
Successful pledges (~ 500)
  1. All Walls Must Fall: A Tech-Noir Tactics Game - Launched it, but never got to play it further (something must came up).
  2. Banner Saga 3 - Backed because I liked & finished 1st, however never got to play 2nd so didn't play the 3rd :D
  3. The House of Da Vinci - Finished. I did enjoy it.
  4. Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Still didn't finish the 1st :( So the same fate as Banner Saga...
  5. Perception - Launched it, but wasn't too much into it when I was playing it. I guess I should try once more.
  6. The Bards Tale IV - Despite the general feedback I did enjoy it - 45 hrs in, but something came up. I hope to pick it up with the upcoming major Director's Cut update in June '19.
  7. Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Backed because I liked & finished the first - Shadowrun Returns, but didn't get to play the others.
  8. Concrete Jungle - I played it, just little bit. Didn't grab me that much.
  9. BEDLAM - Never played it.
  10. Kingdom Come: Deliverance - I played it, just little bit. First impression with the sword fighting left me with sour taste. Probably my fault - I just didn't bother to try harder I guess? And something came up.
  11. Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire - Played it on the launch - I did enjoy it - 58 hrs in. I hope to get back in now when all the DLC is out.
    ==== NOT RELEASED YET ====
  12. Oddworld: Abe's Origins - Book & Game Collection
  13. Scorn Part 1 of 2 : Dasein
  14. Ancient Cities
  15. Pine - An action adventure game that adapts to you
  16. Sacred Fire: Psychological RPG about revenge and loyalty
  17. BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION - Isometric Post-apocalyptic Adventure
  18. Ghost Theory - A serious take on paranormal research - This looks like it will never see the light. But I still hope.
  19. Sui Generis - This one may still see the light - but it's a looong run.
  20. Things from the Flood
  21. Godhood

Unsuccessful pledges
  22. Raji: An Ancient Epic - Action Adventure in Ancient India (Canceled)

I mostly take Kickstarter or other backing thingy as a support for developers I know or when I want to support something new. I know the risk involved so I don't bother with the outcome as much. I enjoyed the campaign for Pillars II - for other campaigns I wasn't too much involved - like watching all the news, last pledge streams etc...

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games I backed (in order):

Wasteland 2
Banner Saga
Valdis Story: Abyssal City
Torment: Tides of Numenera
River City Ransom: Underground
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Narita Boy
Bokube
198X
Chained Echoes

The first 5 have all delivered, and they were all pretty good. The second 5 are in production still. Bloodstained and Bokube will likely be out next. Narita Boy and 198X are slow going. Chained Echoes just got funded.

No regrets.

Cyn

Oct 31, 2017
I liked Broken Age Part 1. Part 2 happened far enough removed from Part 1 that I lost interest.

I loved Pillars of Eternity 1&2!

I didn't like Carmageddon: Reincarnation - the performance was never there, pretty disappointing.

Still waiting on Bloodstained and Psychonauts 2 though.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
- Shovel Knight: Extremely pleased. Moar please!
- Yooka-Laylee: Simply okay at best.
- Bloodstained: Waiting. Curse of the Moon was amazing though!

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought I'd backed more than this, but Kickstarter tells me I've backed:

Moebius - hah, this was terrible. The Gabriel Knight remake was worse than the original, but Moebius was just full on awful. A real shame.
Thimbleweed Park - wonderful, exactly what I'd hoped it would be.
Ikenfell - delayed but seems to be ongoing. I'm not even sure I'll really play it much in the end, but I liked the idea (Earthbound x Harry Potter).
Crimson Echoes - just backed this, looks Xenogears-y.

Other "Kickstarter" games I've definitely bought, even if I didn't back them:

Broken Age - didn't play part 2. I actually think it's a really polished and engaging experience... but you can't skip lines of dialogue! I read really fast, and can't be bothered to sit there and listen all the time...
Hyper Light Drifter - absolutely loved this, even if I had no hope of discovering all of its secrets because I am crap at games.
Crossing Souls - this was fine, although not top tier stuff.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Shovel Knight: Awesome, over-delivered at every turn, still more on the way.
Broken Age: Game was disappointing (ended up being okay I guess), documentary is absolutely fantastic.
Mighty No 9: Pretty bad
Yooka-Laylee: Okay but haven't played more than a few hours of this. Not really sure why I backed this as I'm not a huge fan of the Rare N64 collectathons
Bloodstained: TBA on the main game, but Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon is great and should make backing the game worth it.

A note that I haven't backed at high tiers on any of those games and it's mainly been in the $20-50 range.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I know there have been some serious issues with some of the games.

BUT

I've had so many great successes

FTL, Torment, Elite:Dangerous, Pillars of Eternity, Grim Dawn, Shadowrun Returns, Banner Saga, Wasteland 2, Defense Grid 2,

Other games that came out (So they delvered the product), I just didnt really care for them: Castle Story, Broken Sword

Star Citizen: The Game hasnt been 100% released or delivered, BUT I have enjoyed the watching the production of this game as it goes through it steps.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Mighty No 9 - nope
Amplitude - nah
Pinball Arcade: Addams Family - ended up buying it separate with the season, but glad it was made
Bloodstained - still waiting, but I loved the spinoff game
Shenmue 3 - still waiting
Divinity Original Sin 2 - sure, happy
Battletech - very very happy
Overload - very very happy
System Shock Remake - still waiting
Xydonia - heard the devs are struggling, OK with waiting for now
Hypnospace Outlaw - very very happy
Jupiter Hell - waiting
Starmancer - waiting
Project Wingman - waiting
Bushiden - waiting

Oct 27, 2017
I was pretty late to the Kickstarter scene and missed supporting a lot of cool projects such as Hollow Knight. However, I've been on a bit of a KS splurge in recent months.

Hazelnut Bastille, Monster Sanctuary, Towaga 2 and OMNO come to mind, though there may be another one or two.

The only game I backed before the last few months was Yooka-Laylee. While it was disappointing, I did have fun with it.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I've only backed Divinity: Original Sin 2, and couldn't be happier with the result. Larian's handling of the Kickstarter and the quality of the game itself exceeded my wildest expectations.

Larian is the best.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Mighty No. 9 was my first and probably biggest mistake, but I didn't put too much into it. Everything else has turned out ok to great.

Stopped backing when I came to the realization that anything exclusive I would be getting via that method was either too expensive or not worth it. Many kickstarted games were having retail releases being put out sooner or more conveniently than for backers (Muv Luv was bad about this), and I just felt like if there is something I want I'll just wait and be just as happy picking it up in the store.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I've backed various games over the years... backed what became Broken Age and Republique. Never played either haha. Actually, I never even redeemed my codes for them.

More recently I've backed Flynn Son of Crimson, Hazelnut Bastille, and LUNARK. None of those have released yet, but I'll certainly play those. I don't back at super high tiers (enough to get the game and pay for a couple extra goodies so that the devs get some extra money towards dev), so I don't worry about it too much. I understand that it's a risk and I'm not promised anything. All in all, I think Kickstarter for games is great. A lot of great games that wouldn't exist otherwise have been made and released thanks to Kickstarter. That outweighs the disappointments for me.

Mighty No 9 - nope
Amplitude - nah
Pinball Arcade: Addams Family - ended up buying it separate with the season, but glad it was made
Jupiter Hell - waiting
Starmancer - waiting
Bushiden - waiting

Hey, thanks! :) Was hoping to see more Bushiden backers LOL

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Backed Shenmue III for 100$
I'll be happy as long it's not EGS exclusive. I'm very afraid right now.

Iscariot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've backed:
Aegis Defenders
Battle Chasers
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Chasm
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Flynn Son of Crimson
Heart Forth, Alicia
Hollow Knight
Hyper Light Drifter
Legend of Iya
Massive Chalice
Mighty No 9
Pier Solar HD
Project Eternity
Project Phoenix
Strength of the Sword: ULTIMATE
Time Spinner
Unsung Story
Warmachine Tactics

All in all I think most of those that have come out have turned out pretty well. Some of them are downright classic entries in their genre, like Hollow Knight.

A few obvious ones are stinkers... But Unsung Story for example may actually come out.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
A few obvious ones are stinkers... But Unsung Story for example may actually come out.

Seems like the current dev has been updating his progress lately but I haven't bothered reading them. Man, that was the first time I felt scammed by a KS when they originally announced about the dev breakdown.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
I backed three:

Double Fine Adventure (Broken Age)
The Banner Saga
Amplitude HD

I thought all of them were fantastic to varying degrees (Amplitude was my favorite). Of course, none of them were huge gambles either, other than maybe TBS, but the team was made of industry vets as well. These are the only kind of Kickstarters I ever intend to back - ones that have devs with a proven track record.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
  1. Ghost Song - Funnily enough this was my first backed project. Really looking forward to it when it releases in 2025, only 11 years after its original date.
  2. Project Phoenix - lol
  3. Mighty No. 9 - lol
  4. Hyper Light Drifter - 8/10
  5. STASIS - 6/10
  6. Obduction - 6/10
  7. Heart Forth, Alicia - Not released. Looking forward to it. Probably wouldn't back this game today though.
  8. CLANNAD english release - Already played the Japanese VN with a fan patch... just wanted to support the localization.
  9. Yooka-Laylee - 6.5/10
  10. Bloodstained - I have moderate hopes for this one.
  11. Shenmue 3 - Never played a Shenmue but I backed it for Huber.
  12. System Shock remaster - I really hope they do this game justice. It's looking good so far.
  13. Prey for the Gods - I have the early access version, but I'm waiting for full release. Trailer was great... hope the game lives up to it.
  14. Myst 25th anniversary collection - It's Myst, so it's good.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Shantae HGH
Very satisfied with the results, especially since through the course of releasing the DLC I ended up with a free PC copy on top of the PS4 version I wanted. So much that I also own it on Vita and got the Ultimate Edition Day One physical version on Switch.

I've not backed any other games, though, because unless I'm super confident in the product, I don't want to be part of another debacle like Mighty No 9 or super delay fests like Bloodstained.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
FTL & Elite were both great and well worth the money.

Yooka-Laylee was kind of OK, but I don't think I'm really into that style anymore.

Frog Fractions 2 was a disappointment, but I loved the first one so didn't mind throwing some cash to the dev there.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm noticing many backing some of the first few games on Kickstarter (and haven't played those games/no longer interested). Did you guys back the games to legitmatize the platform? The Genre? I remember when FTL, Double Fine, PIllars, Wasteland came out, KS backed games was getting a ton of publicity.

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I backed Tainted Grail and that one game with hot guys in it made by Zoe Quinn

The first seems to be going great, second sounds like a scam

StarErik

Oct 27, 2017
I backed Amplitude but didn't really care for it. I also backed Yooka-Laylee which I deeply regret. Jesus, that is a bad game.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Mighty No 9 - nope
Amplitude - nah
Jupiter Hell - waiting
Starmancer - waiting
Bushiden - waiting

Oops I forgot non-KS...

Indivisible - waiting, but the demo was excellent
PoE 2 - so far I really like it, better than PoE. Haven't played enough yet tho.
Kingdoms & Castles - played it 10 mins :X
What the Golf? - waiting
Psychonauts 2 - waiting

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I am fine with it, and am willing to Kickstart more games. Cautiously. But I've Kickstarted a bunch of media and videogames have BY been the worst managed, and late. Developers need to learn to be more transparent and more conservative with estimates.

hammurabi

Oct 27, 2017
My list:

Blasphemous - In Dev. Loving everything I've seen so far
Narita Boy - In Dev. Updates have been sparse, but seems to be progressing well
Yooka Laylee - I like it a lot. Very happy.
Strength of the Sword: Ultimate - Almost here! Pretty excited for this one.
Starcrawlers - Extremely happy with this one. Best $15 I ever spent. Seriously, if you like the old school dungeon crawler games you should give this a try.
Unsung Story - Yeah, this one was a huge mess. But I'm a sucker for anything even remotely Matsuno related so it was worth the risk for me. New studio took it over and while it's not really shaping up to be what I was hoping for, I have been entertained by all the drama and still might get some sort of a game out of it.
Mighty No.9 - Not only did I back this thing, i chose the WiiU version which has a 2 minute load times. I do think that the attention this received probably directly lead to Mega Man 11 existence which is great. So in a way I guess it was worth it? kinda?