• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Wispmetas

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Already SSS every song on beginner, standard and on proud I'm only missing Wave of Darkness SSS.

I feel like getting used to the controls wasn't that hard for me, as soon as I got the buttons I have to press into my brain I started to be able to focus on the track at hand and it became very fun and addicting, I keep booting it up trying to get that SSS or a all excelent run.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Already SSS every song on beginner, standard and on proud I'm only missing Wave of Darkness SSS.

I feel like getting used to the controls wasn't that hard for me, as soon as I got the buttons I have to press into my brain I started to be able to focus on the track at hand and it became very fun and addicting, I keep booting it up trying to get that SSS or a all excelent run.

Nice! As for me, I'm sure I'll adjust to the controls if I keep playing. Part of me doesn't want to put all my energy in the demo since none of our progress carries over to the full game. If I can play IIDX, I can play this!

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just tried it out. It's cute but I don't know about day one cute. I like that there's a leveling system, since watching numbers increase as an exp bar fills has always been my jam.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they made a demo, because I could never figure out how the controls would be and feel like based on the gameplay videos. And gee-by-golly, they work great. Really anticipating this now. I always wanted a Theatrhythm Kingdom Hearts game, and this is absolutely that.

I also spent ten minutes listening to the jazz piano Dearly Beloved at the top menu. It fills me with joy to my very foundations.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
People have no respect for rhythm games around these parts.
At first I was kinda shocked by the price and then they announced just how many songs are in this and others pointed out how little is in most other Japanese rhythm games so I conceded that $60 is pretty fair. Plus now playing it I know I'm gonna sink a shit ton of hours into it.

Jul 5, 2019
I'm having a lot of fun with the demo but my one problem is that the controls are kind of confusing. My mind keeps wanting to press like, Y for Donald on the left and A for Goofy on the right. The whole dynamic of "A, L, or R do the same thing, but you have to press a combination of 2 or 3 when there's 2 or 3 hits at once" is kind of overwhelming and part of me thinks it would be simpler if there was an assigned button for each.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I got an A+++ on Wonderland I'm Proud plus Performer and so I thought "hey maybe I can do this." They very next song destroyed me lol. Fuck it I don't think I can do Performer. Pressing the analog and face buttons AND shoulder buttons simultaneously is ridiculously hard.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having a lot of fun with the demo but my one problem is that the controls are kind of confusing. My mind keeps wanting to press like, Y for Donald on the left and A for Goofy on the right. The whole dynamic of "A, L, or R do the same thing, but you have to press a combination of 2 or 3 when there's 2 or 3 hits at once" is kind of overwhelming and part of me thinks it would be simpler if there was an assigned button for each.

I agree. I was having this issue too.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I agree, but it totally feels like one of those things that just become second nature after a few hours.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I got an A+++ on Wonderland I'm Proud plus Performer and so I thought "hey maybe I can do this." They very next song destroyed me lol. Fuck it I don't think I can do Performer. Pressing the analog and face buttons AND shoulder buttons simultaneously is ridiculously hard.
Yeah the analog stick stuff makes performer a no go for me.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
I'm glad I tried the demo a second time. For the life of me the first time through I was terrible. I was a bit better this time, but I'm going to need to spend a lot of time on the game.

Jul 5, 2019
I agree. I was having this issue too.
I agree, but it totally feels like one of those things that just become second nature after a few hours.
Glad I'm not alone, and I'm sure you're right that I'll get used to it. This demo has got me incredibly excited for the full product, I've already spent several hours trying to get AAA+ on every track multiple times and only have missed it on the track from 0.2. Very tempted to even get this day one, despite my huge backlog!

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Do we now at all if there will be a continuous story being told throughout the game? I know it'll be crucial to the next game but I wonder how much sorry is actually here.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
MoM is certainly a unique rhythm game, but it really scratched the Theatrhythm itch (port those games, Square!), along with my love for the pre-Unreal Engine Kingdom Hearts character models -- the game feels like it'll be a nostalgic love-letter send-off for the Xehanort saga.

I definitely need more practice and time to experiment, lol. I still keep alternating between L1 (Donald), X (Sora), R1 (Goofy), and then just purely alternating between L1 and R1 as needed. I've been playing the demo on PS4, but I'll check it out on the Switch, as well.

I think Performer mode is beyond me, though, even on Beginner. Having to quickly read what input is required against the bright pink is a lot to juggle. Many kudos for those who manage it, especially on Proud!

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Finding this surprisingly fun! I love Kingdom Hearts, but I'm not really big on rhythm games, I like them just fine so I wasn't entirely sure I was gonna like this. The tutorial made me think I might find it annoying but turns out, it's pretty fun and not that difficult. Just a wee bit disappointed with the demo cause I wanted more songs but hey, four (right?) is fine and I'm even more sure now that I'll be getting this day one.

Unrelated to the actual gameplay, but hearing Dearly Beloved's jazzy new remix playing from my Switch's speakers filled me with an inexplicable amount of joy. It really feels perfect for the Switch.

OP
OP
Wispmetas

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Do we now at all if there will be a continuous story being told throughout the game? I know it'll be crucial to the next game but I wonder how much sorry is actually here.

Yes there will be, but in interviews, nomura has stated the story here is nothing big or very important to the series going forward and more of a throwback to what has happened before if I'm not mistaken.

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
Controls are pretty bad I'm assuming to facilitate single joycon play. It's very awkward holding a controller the way they want you to. I really wish you could use the dpad in place of one of the shoulder buttons but it only emulates the face buttons which are not the problem. I managed to finish all the songs on Proud but can't say I had a great time. Still preordered though. No stopping this KH train for me it's been part of my life for too long lol

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
Once the controls click, this game rules. Couldn't be happier as a rhythm game junkie and a huge fan of KH.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I'm so close to getting a full chain on Wave of Darkness I but I keep choking on the final section. Even managed to get all criticals up till that point on one of my runs too.

Haelsly

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope this is a case of just needing to get used to it for me. I was a Theatrhythm junkie, and I love KH, so this would be a perfect fit. But something about the notes/enemies coming directly at me instead of across the screen makes it more difficult for me to make them out, and I still haven't got a full grasp of the controls. :/ It's kinda killed my buzz. Still, plenty of time to play around with it and see if I get any better.

S2KTeDDy

Jan 22, 2018
Got A+++ on Wave of Darkness Proud on my 9th try... this is some good shit... :)

And I feel that this game is better played on switch for high level play... the tactile shoulder buttons are goood

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I know we haven't seen nearly everything but I wish they made a PS2 quality KH3 Sora and stuff since there's KH3 songs and what not. Also thinking about it have we seen KH2 or DDD Sora?

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
I thought this was fun enough and the harder difficulties provided a decent challenge. Not sure I'll grab it at launch but maybe a month or so later after the next gen releases get some play time.

Zaverious

Oct 25, 2017
Dang I got the switch version preordered but I might want the PS4 version instead. Jump on B, Attack on A, and the performer style notes are killing me.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Dang I got the switch version preordered but I might want the PS4 version instead. Jump on B, Attack on A, and the performer style notes are killing me.
Yeah just tried the demo on Switch and if I do get it it definitely won't be on it. It also doesn't seem to run nearly as smoothly as PS4.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Man, not feeling this :(

I love Theaterhythm and basically all music games + KH.

But the #1 most important feature of any music game is note visibility and the note visibility in this game sucks, especially when it gets busy. Also the jump timings are hard to figure out visually since they don't have the circle focus that enemies do.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
yea I am playing Asian version so it's SSS instead of A+++

Perfomer mode messed up my brain. I did worse on the easiest song on beginner with performer than Wave of Darkness Proud lol

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
Well, there goes my night!
I LOVE that art!

Haha the menu music tricked me! 😄😄😄

Edit: OK this is way cooler than I thought it would be

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
:( wish there were more than 4 songs. I'm ready for this now.

Also surprised there's no special edition of this game.

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
EkbjpfYWkAAj5EP

Probably the best i'm going to do since wave of darkness is kicking my ass