• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Keyless start is a must, but keyless entry is the one option I wouldn't pick when configuring a new car.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Actually in a similar situation myself. Went from an 02 Civic to a 17 Prius, and while it took a few days to get used to, the push button start is awesome.

Hate heated seats, though. Makes me feel like I'm peeing myself.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
In the winter, you can warm up your car before you get in, making the cabin comfortable since you don't have to wait 5-10 minutes for freezing air to stop blowing in your face. In the summer, it can cool your car before you get it, making the cabin comfortable since you don't have to wait 5-10 minutes to stop taking a flamethrower to your face.
That makes sense. I don't remember the weather, but it was in a parking garage, so the temperature may have been fine. It's just the impression I got was that this person was in a hurry by having the car on before they even got in, but then not really.

Shlice

Nov 6, 2017
I agree. I haven't worn gloves or my thick coats in years. Remote Start has the car nice and toasty when I get in it. I can brave the 5 second walk to it without being bundled up.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
I had ventilated seats in the last car I owned.

Gotta say, I don't see the purpose outside of the car baking in the hot sun. Otherwise, it's just a butt fan

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
I know the Model 3 allows you to use a phone as the key which is pretty sweet, although it looks like it's reliant on a server and not just the phone and the car directly which sounds iffy to me. Being able to just carry a phone and use it for NFC payments and driving sounds awesome, although I guess I'd still carry a wallet since a driver's license is still necessary. I hope the idea gets more developed.

It's actually not reliant on the server. There have been cases where Tesla's servers have gone down, and as long as you are in Bluetooth range and haven't signed out of the app (which seems to wipe any stored authorization tokens on the phone) you can unlock and drive your car.

If you want to remotely control your car with the app when you're not in Bluetooth range then that does require the internet (and Tesla's server) to work.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't own a car because I live in a big city.

For me it was radar cruise control or similar type features. Obviously Tesla is in the lead here, but I was pretty damn impressed using the feature similar to this in a rental SUV (CX-5). It made the trip from Chicago to Michigan easy as hell.

Last edited:

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Seriously, Built in Head-Up Display (HUD) is where it's at. Being able to see my speed and driving directions through my front windshield without looking down or at the infotainment is a amazing.
I like this on my Volvo. I didn't think I would use it much when we bought it, but now I use it all the time.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
I live in Texas, so for most of the year my favorite feature is the ventilated seats in my Kia Niro

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
A few years ago, we got rid of our 2006 Jetta and just started renting cars if we needed them (4-5x a year really) and the leap in technology made me feel like I was in a space ship. It was so damn sudden, and I was so unaware of the changes in cars.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
I think I'm still okay with using the "clicker" to unlock my doors, and putting the key in the ignition. I'm sure it's nice to have in some cases, and I'm not turning away a car that has it, but not a must-have for me. (My key and fob are integrated, I always lock the doors with the fob, and the car will beep if you hit the locker while a door/trunk is open, so it's pretty hard to actually lock the keys in the car.)

I've avoided getting remote start because I think it just wastes a lot of fuel. Like everything, depends how you use it. I don't have kids; I'm fine toughing it out for a few minutes as the car warms up/cools down. I'm okay to start driving without sitting there idling for 10 minutes.

My car does have a cold weather package. Heated seats, side mirrors, elements under the windshield where the wipers stop. I'll use the heated seats for a few minutes now and then, but don't find it comfortable longer than that, even on low setting. I could live without the heated seats, but having the heated mirrors/wipers is really nice when you need it.

I can't go back to the pre-bluetooth days. I use it every time I'm in the car. And I'd definitely get CarPlay in my next car - it seems commonplace today, but was only in select brands/models when I bought my car.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
This I'll never understand. Half the time I don't even remember I have blind spot monitoring. That's what my mirrors are for..

And the cross traffic beeping is equally annoying. I can see if there are cars, people, or even a pole behind me or near me. Again that's what mirrors are for plus there's a goddamn camera. I guess it would be good for my wife but not an actual driver...
Mine detects cars coming that I can't see because I'm in a car parked between two large trucks or SUVs

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I've always thought that the radar cruise control in my car that matches the car in front of you was great too, it's halfway towards self-driving and it works flawlessly when I'm on road trips.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly one of the main reasons I stick with Apple Music over Spotify. I can hit the button on my steering wheel and play any song or album I want without any weird Siri issues. "Play this song from this artist." Done. No need to fumble with my phone or use the touchscreen on my car.

Yeah when I finally had this setup (Carplay+Siri+Apple Music) it was kind of a "I'm living in the future" moment. While I was driving my long trips, I could just speak the name of any song that came into my head and like magic it started playing. Back in the 90s I was driving around with a zipped sleeve of 20 Cds that I had to fumble around with.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I'll agree that rear view cameras, especially for larger vehicles, are life changing, however it also makes me really spoiled and makes it hard when I have to drive a car that doesn't have it.

The "feature" I hate the most is the one where the engine shuts off when you come to a stop to save gas. I still think it's just a way for them to get down below some mandated minimum fuel economy level or something, because every time I've had a rental that has it I've hated it.

Scrub Jay

Nov 28, 2017
After driving cars for work with those bells and whistles, I bought one for myself with even more. I don't regret my purchase.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
Just moved to a new SUV from a two door coupe. The car had bluetooth and keyless entry but Android Auto is my new favorite thing. Being able to leave my phone out of view and use navigation, music, etc. as needed on the display is so useful. Also better safety features like blind spot warnings, and a backup camera are great to have.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I've always thought that the radar cruise control in my car that matches the car in front of you was great too, it's halfway towards self-driving and it works flawlessly when I'm on road trips.

yep this, similar to what I posted above

it makes the trip significantly less tiring and more relaxing. It worked very well in stop and go traffic too. This combined with the side mirror lights/alerts makes for a safe ride

what car do you have?

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
I basically won't buy a car if it requires me to take my keys or phone out of my pocket to open the door, it's such a life-changing feature.

Ultimate 1st world problem, but once you have it you can't go back

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my friend has a 2010 car with keyless entry that's giving him all sorts of trouble now. I'm not going to be able to afford a new car for a while, so no thanks.

Maybe it'd be neat in a rental.

I miss the rear view camera on the rental I got. Plus an inbuilt digital radio, even though they've been a thing for years I've only driven basic cars

neemmss

Oct 27, 2017
Whenever I get a rental without CarPlay I want to kill myself. CarPlay is so helpful and just having google maps or waze on that thing is a gamechanger.

Dec 29, 2017
Keyless entry, Sat Nav, blind spot assist, backup cameras, voice control. My favorite right now is sports/active exhaust. Quiet when you need it, loud when you want it at the push of a button.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
I love it, too. I drive my parents car every once in a while and it's funny how sarcastically miffed I get when I go to open the door and it doesn't just magically open for me and I have to dig in my pockets to hit the button on the key to unlock it and then have to insert the key into the car to start it.

Don't care for the battery life though, at least on my Subaru. Got my car a little over 2 years ago and the keyfob is already dying.

Pro-tip: these keyfobs work by giving off a "ping" signal pretty much constantly, thats how it knows if you are near your car, if the ping signal is in range of it. If you are given 2 (or more) keys for your car, be sure to deactivate the ones you aren't using to save battery life. Otherwise they will continue to give off that "ping" signal while sitting in your drawer, sucking away battery. For mine, there is a button combination you can hit to deactivate them, and then to reactivate all you have to do is press any button.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I agree OP, as a father of two young kids keyless entry is a godsend. And for that same reason it's why handles are far superior to doorknobs. Anything that frees up your hands is useful.

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I never saw the need for remote starter, until I had a baby and it became winter. Now, every day, I have to secure baby in her chair, sprint outside in the cold to start up the car, run back. It's the one time when I'm like damn, wish I could remotely start this thing.

I also love keyless entry.

I love it so much that I added keyless entry to my house. I really like the Yale digital smart locks, fully endorse them. The smart tech behind them, August Smart Locks, is only okay... It works, but it doesn't work perfectly. Like it's supposed to unlock when I come home, but it's hit or miss, like 50% of the time... which is enough of a "miss" that I generally never rely on it to work. If you're in the market for smart locks I'd recommend them. Pretty easy to install. It ties into Alexa / GOogle Home / etc, but I rarely use that, it's less convenient to use TBH.

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017
It's actually not reliant on the server. There have been cases where Tesla's servers have gone down, and as long as you are in Bluetooth range and haven't signed out of the app (which seems to wipe any stored authorization tokens on the phone) you can unlock and drive your car.

If you want to remotely control your car with the app when you're not in Bluetooth range then that does require the internet (and Tesla's server) to work.
Well that's good to hear. Now I've never used or seen the Tesla app, but if it's like any other mobile app then a user wouldn't typically sign out anyway. The need for a server when the user is out of range makes sense, I just hope they retain support and don't shut down old model services years down the road as a means to get people to upgrade.

EngenZerO

Oct 27, 2017
Totally agree.

My wife and I's 2019 Jeep Wrangler has some amazing stuff for a Wrangler!

Remote start/stop from from the key or the uConnect app and proximity entry! Also does vehicle health reports.
Wifi using ATT
CarPlay or Android Play
Off-road pages and emergency SOS
Blind spot detection, rear sense detection, adaptive cruise control, and forward collision assist (second best stuff)
Heated steering wheel (the best)
Ability to remove doors and top (fun mode)

It's truly an epic vehicle! I really have been impressed and don't think I could buy another car without this stuff.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little annoyed by the keyless entry on hubby's new car (2020 Civic Si). I'm standing by the door freezing my ass off and he's like "you can go in!" and I'm like "no, I can't!"

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. I would be hundreds in pop a lock pay for locking my remote key in car by now, but since it's remote, I can unlock from outside with button on handle. When I finally got a modern car, remote key and auto headlights are my favorite features over any other luxuries like gps.