• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
A friend showed me the video years ago. Every few months when I'm bored I watch it again. Never seen a Kevin Smith movie I think but the whole story is just crazy and hilarious.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
DYNSG7KW4AEBC6D.jpg

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Now I kind of want to see Superman fight a giant spider, too.

That has to have happened at some point. That's such a generic moster design that for all of Superman's long history, he must have fought at least one giant spider at some point.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I read his script a while back, it was fine. Tone wise it was a lot like Superman 3, but it did seem like it was made by someone that actually liked Superman, unlike any live action movie made since Donner 1 and 2.

gpn

Oct 27, 2017
I initially thought Superman Lives would've been the worst idea for a Superman movie. The leaked pic of Cage in one of the suits just solidified my opinion. Then I watched that documentary. I couldn't believe it, but by the end of it, I was actually disappointed it didn't happen! I wanted to watch the movie not even out of the hope that it'd be so bad it's good, but because I legitimately thought it might've been decent.

This was exactly my thoughts too. I keep hoping one day Warner Animation will announce they're working on an animated version of this with Burton, Cage and Smith on board.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
This was exactly my thoughts too. I keep hoping one day Warner Animation will announce they're working on an animated version of this with Burton, Cage and Smith on board.

Hey, after Return of the Caped Crusader, anything's possible.

Supes could kind of use something like this right now. Look at all the hype over the Crisis on Infinite Earth's thing.

Fuck, they should just drop everyone's jaw and get Nic Cage for that!

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
I love how in the Superman Doomsday animated movie they had Supes fight a giant robot Spider and then got Kevin Smith to voice a character saying how stupid the fight was.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I've always seen this video in my recommendations for years, so this is the first time watching this. Madness.

Kevin is a good story teller.
He's one of the best, and he can really go on. There was one special he did (maybe Too Fat for 40?) where at the beginning he said he was going to take a bunch of questions and riff quickly so he didn't bog the thing down, and then he got asked his first question and told the guy to sit down, then he spent a solid hour getting to answering it.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kevin Smith is a hell of a story teller.

I mean thats a great story anyway. But he really sells it.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
If you're really interested in stories like this read Tales From Development Hell, one of the best books about unmade films ever.

Thanks for the recommendation. I like to read these kind of behind the scenes tell-all kind of books from time to time ("Live from New York" about the different eras of SNL and "The War for Late Night" about the late night talk show rivalries of the 90s-00s were both pretty good reads), so I went ahead and grabbed this. Looking forward to checking it out.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
The script actually reads like any super hero movie for the tiny bit I skimmed but with the players involved sounds like a nightmare

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
Feel free to cancel me on matters of taste but i found that footage had more positives than negatives.

pros:
the musculature and movement on the costume were great
Cage clearly knew and cared about the material
cage was the most insightful person in the room
they were trying some interesting ideas like a properly disguised clark kent
the suit as a kind of evolving baby blanket is exactly the kind of thing jor el would send
cage is extremely philosophical about the failure

cons:
the material properties and some lines on the suits
holy shit tim burton doesn't know anything about supes
the coke addled fuckups slurping tim/nic and mocking fans of the genre

as others have said you don't get even a ballpark sense of the suit's real look without proper lighting, post and color grading

Yeah, I liked what I saw here.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Jon Peters is a fucking maniac.

In Superman Lives documentary someone says that he would put interns in chokeholds for no reason 😂

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is one of my favorite "behind the scenes" Hollywood stories. It never gets old. And I'll plus one the suggestion to watch the documentary The Death of 'Superman Lives': What Happened? It's great and gives a ton of details about Tim Burton and others were working on.

One of the drafts Smith wrote has leaked out if anyone wants to read it.

Just finished reading this.. not gonna lie, I'd watch this.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Kevin Smith, who was riding the success of his surprise hits 'Clerks' and 'Mallrats', was once commissioned by Warner Bros. to be the lead writer on a planned Superman reboot 'Superman Reborn.' He tells the story on what is less about the cancelled project and is more about the movie's executive producer; John Peters. As it turns out Peters, who was also the producer on Tim Burton's Batman, is absolutely batshit insane.

In case you can't watch the video, here's a tl;dr of the insanity that is John Peters.

• John had many requests for Kevin Smith in regards to the portrayal of Superman and several story beats, first of which was that Superman mustn't wear his iconic costume (which Peter describes as "too faggy")
  • Peters was also insistent that Superman was to never fly at any point.
  • His most baffling request, and the one that was brought up the most consistently, was that Superman was to fight a giant spider. (The creative leads and producers at Warner Bros. even vented to Smith that Peters would bring up the giant spider every day.)
  • Peters specifically wanted Sean Penn to play Superman because, as he describes, he "has the eyes of a killer."
  • Superman was to have personal guards at the Fortress of Solitude.
  • Brainiac was to have a scene with him wrestling a polar bear.
  • Braniac was to have an "R2-D2-esque" sidekick that was to have "the voice of a gay black man."
  • Braniac would've also had a little dog sidekick too.
Eventually, Tim Burton would become director of the project with Nicholas Cage as Superman. The project was soon scrapped, probably for the fact that it would've been a massive fucking dumpster fire.

this sounds like a plot on Smallville.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
What I find most interesting is how he was willing to alter his story to satisfy a producer. Shines a light on why so many comic book movies back in the day sucked so hard.

Oct 28, 2017
[/QUOTE]
What I find most interesting is how he was willing to alter his story to satisfy a producer. Shines a light on why so many comic book movies back in the day sucked so hard.

I mean, that's how the business works. Directors and producers decide what ends up in the movie, writers turn in the script but don't really have the power to veto changes. If he had refused Peters would probably have looked for another writer to rewrite the thing

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
"Everyday with the fucking spider..."
I watched Kevin tell that story numerous times, he is very entertaining.

His story about filming a documentary for Prince is as good.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a 2017 Hollywood Reporter piece on the producer that Smith is talking about. It's fucking insane

Everyone needs to watch that documentary about Superman Lives that details just how fucking insane Peters was.

One day, he brought his kids into the room where all the concept art was awaiting approval for the movie and his decision making process was his kids literally ripping the artists' work off the wall and tearing apart the ones they hated.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

That's how it always works and should work, the producer pays the bills. Only difference between then and now is that back then it was John Peters, nowadays its Kevin Feige. Results will obviously differ.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the funniest videos I've seen about the movie industry. I remember seeing it years ago, I still laugh about the giant spider story.

I don't really like Kevin Smith that much, but the dude is on fire on this doc. I think there are three, they are this conferences he does in universities. They're hilarious.