• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It handled Black Widow just fine, time for Black Cat

The Black Cat is a character that relies on two things the MCU struggles to handle. Romance and sexuality.

Most MCU romances are... not good...

The MCU also goes out of its way to be as unsexy as possible.

The idea that the MCU can handle Black Cat? I honestly do not see it. It's going to be cringier than Maguire-Man's dancing in Spider-Man 3.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man and daredevil have so many street level villains I think this is a great thing.

Sure you can maybe have Spider-Man team up with avengers once in a while but they can also have daredevil/Spider-Man/____ team up against kingpin and stuff.

JashDen

Banned
Jul 12, 2022
Cool, I'm more worried about how they're going to handle Daredevil though. I'm watching DD side by side with moon knight, Wandavision, Loki, & Hawkeye, and DD is significantly better than all of these. Worse of all is directly comparing it as a street-level crime-fighting show to Hawkeye and Moon Knight. The latter two have no grit, little stakes, improper pacing, and don't consistently match the dark tone of living in a crime-infested city.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He mentions Ghost Rider?? Was it known he was coming into the MCU already?

EMBee99

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
Charlie Cox, Simu Liu, and Tom Holland as the new trinity for MCU would be awesome.

(Oh and bring back Jon Bernthal immediately)

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Worse of all is directly comparing it as a street-level crime-fighting show to Hawkeye and Moon Knight. The latter two have no grit, little stakes, improper pacing, and don't consistently match the dark tone of living in a crime-infested city.
Eh, say what you will about the overall quality of those shows, but I'd argue that neither the Hawkeye or Moon Knight series qualifies as even attempts at "gritty, street-level" superhero stories, since they both have clear ambitions towards more fantastical, "heightened reality" sorts of stories that Daredevil more than likely wont be aiming towards.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm extremely glad the MCU has never been into that "ignore and retcon the less popular entries" JJ Abrams shit.

She-Hulk is going all in on freaking Incredible Hulk lol
p13510032_b_h8_ag.jpg

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
well, I sure hope so. I'd love to see the street operating spidey stories from the animated series translated to the big screen.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Okay but when are we getting the MCU Osborne family? NWH did nothing but prove this Peter needs his own Goblin.
To what end? We already had a Goblin do the most Goblin-ass thing, and had story threads to close out the two previous franchise attempts (both with Garfield redeeming himself, and Tobey stopping history from repeating itself).

Unless we're looking to have a new Norman having a side thing with Gwen (lol no), the big moments that really matter have been done. They have Freshman Year to do a more classic take.

FYS7GoCXEAA6djl

JashDen

Banned
Jul 12, 2022
Eh, say what you will about the overall quality of those shows, but I'd argue that neither the Hawkeye or Moon Knight series qualifies as even attempts at "gritty, street-level" superhero stories, since they both have clear ambitions towards more fantastical, "heightened reality" sorts of stories that Daredevil more than likely wont be aiming towards.
Hawkeye specifically is about a retired avenger + his new sidekick trying to take down a notorious gang in New York with an assassin sent to kill them. It's super goofy as hell but from that description, it should be just as gritty as Daredevil - Lawyer fights street crime terrorizing New York at night. Hawkeye wants to take itself seriously when it brings up Clint's family stuff but it plays its conspiracy and corruption in its city very loosely.

I thought kingpin was fine when he was revealed as a manipulator in the show until I actually watched Daredevil and saw how Netflix handled the same main villain in the same city in the same role. Disappointing. I'm dreading Matt's arrival in She-Hulk.

You're right about moon knight being fantastical but it is a much darker and more serious show than Daredevil filled with an international spy & hitman, a cult, child trauma, and sacrifice. The show wanted to be weird and only managed to do so in one episode. Everything else was too goofy for its own good. It's also too short.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I really really hope so. After space and the multiverse I want Spidey fighting his Rogues gallery on the street level again. Bring in our universes Norman Osborn for a serious threat, make it Dafoe but 616. He never met Peter he's never fought Spidey but Peter knows he's a threat because of the multiverse. Make him think "oh maybe he's not such a bad guy…the last one had some good moments but then again he killed my aunt, my mom, so I'm going to be on pins and needles".

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
The thing I'm hype for is there is a ton of new daredevil episodes coming up. Having spidey appear and team up in some would be INSANE.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I don't think they want to do Spider-Man vs. Green Goblin again.
Because of Amazing and Raimi? Or NWH? I don't think the latter counts really.
To what end? We already had a Goblin do the most Goblin-ass thing, and had story threads to close out the two previous franchise attempts (both with Garfield redeeming himself, and Tobey stopping history from repeating itself).

Unless we're looking to have a new Norman having a side thing with Gwen (lol no), the big moments that really matter have been done.
Norman is a critical character to the mythos. All NWH did was imply that the MCU has one that we haven't "found" yet. The Osborne family is critical to Spider-Man and his rogues gallery. To that end we also need Otto to be found as well. But more specifically this Peter is going to college soon, so he should meet Gwen Stacy after the direct curve of MJ. Goblin is needed.

Street level works just fine with Tom's Peter, post-NWH. Without Stark tech, he's not insanely out of street league - he'll be physically stronger than most, but it always comes back down to Lee's advice on writing street level Spidey - "Spidey is stronger than anyone faster than him, and faster than anyone stronger than him".

Norman is a critical character to the mythos. All NWH did was imply that the MCU has one that we haven't "found" yet. The Osborne family is critical to Spider-Man and his rogues gallery. To that end we also need Otto to be found as well. But more specifically this Peter is going to college soon, so he should meet Gwen Stacy after the direct curve of MJ. Goblin is needed.
There is huge potential in 616 Peter interacting with Norman and the 616 versions of other rogues, as someone suggested. Peter now has a very general but vague idea of how things went badly with variants of these people in other universes. Yet it is firmly established that one of 616 Peter's core traits is his intense compassion for the suffering of others - including villains.

Guaranteed that when Peter meets the native versions of Norman and the rest, he will be struggling with "foreknowledge" - he may also feel he has some responsibility to try and intervene if they're not yet, outwardly, villainous. Be a guardian angel for them, to try and steer them around the events that might lead to their own downfall.

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

NWH. They did a Spider-Man vs. Green Goblin. I don't think we'll see MCU versions of any of the villains from NWH. No Green Goblin, no Doc Ock, no Electro, no Lizard, no Sandman. The most I could see is a movie where Peter meets MCU native versions of these characters and tries to save them from their fate.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Hawkeye specifically is about a retired avenger + his new sidekick trying to take down a notorious gang in New York with an assassin sent to kill them. It's super goofy as hell but from that description, it should be just as gritty as Daredevil - Lawyer fights street crime terrorizing New York at night. Hawkeye wants to take itself seriously when it brings up Clint's family stuff but it plays its conspiracy and corruption in its city very loosely.

I thought kingpin was fine when he was revealed as a manipulator in the show until I actually watched Daredevil and saw how Netflix handled the same main villain in the same city in the same role. Disappointing. I'm dreading Matt's arrival in She-Hulk.

You're right about moon knight being fantastical but it is a much darker and more serious show than Daredevil filled with an international spy & hitman, a cult, child trauma, and sacrifice. The show wanted to be weird and only managed to do so in one episode. Everything else was too goofy for its own good. It's also too short.
Again, I honestly dont think Netflix Daredevil-levels of grittiness was ever the intent of either of those shows, so I dont necessarily hold them up as evidence the Born Again will therefore be lacking, but I totally get your concern. I'm likewise holding my breath to see if this follow-up will commit to the same level of tonal consistency as the Netflix show did.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with this but at one point I would like to see Spidey be a main character on an Avengers team.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Because the context of it is Ryan Gosling, I think jokingly wants to play Ghost Rider because his wife Eva Mendes was in the movie. That's why it got brought up during this interview.
But he was already a ghost rider in a movie with his wife.

I think Feige couldn't have said more reassuring things. NWH already set up street level spidey, I would have been shocked if he said Peter would yet again save the entire universe.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Calling it now, Ghost Rider is one of the Phase 6 project. Hopefully they can bring back Gabriel Luna as Robbie.

Also is Shang Chi considered street level or no?
So far in the MCU, he dealing with some pretty high-level supernatural stuff (Ta Lo, the dragon, ten rings, etc...)
Also, BRING BACK IRON FIST PLEASEEEEEEEEE

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Ghost Rider Cage better appear in one of the multiverse movies - otherwise everything was a failed experiment.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Why aren't they getting Gabriel Luna back as Robbie Reyes? He was perfect.

I fucking love Gabriel Luna, but I want to see a younger take on Robbie Reyes Ghose Rider that is closer to the original Felipe Smith runs. A lot of what made those first two runs interesting was seeing this young kid that was forced to grow up early to take care of his disabled brother and pay for his therapy/medication by working a job while still attending high school. All the while balancing that with the voice of Eli who is telling him to fuck shit up and get angry. He had a unique hook as a street level hero that felt like it brought something new to the table.

I don't want to see him as the generic quippy Avenger that he became in Jason Aaron's Avengers.