• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A thousand times this. If Chinese audiences meant a damn the Asians would have had our Hollywood representation a long time ago. Invoking yellow peril to disguise transphobia at home is...well, I shouldn't be surprised, but here I am.
I mean it's both, but they literally can't release a movie with prominent LGBT characters in China. It is against the law there.

Also, my understanding is that Chinese audiences don't actually care about asian representation in hollywood films, probably in large part because they can already get that from their domestic film industry.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I just wish they'd really go for it like a modern day Kirk kissing Urhura kind of thing. Like yeah, it'll be censored if not banned in China. But it'll be out there! Let the transphobes rage and more people will follow.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
2020 gonna be the Year LGBTQ+ representation is finally gonna go mainstream.
We just have to decide between Disneys' "two second background Character that can be edited out" or Cyberpunks' "LOOK AT THIS HOT CHICK WITH A GIANT PENIS! LOOK AT It!!!"-approach.

As a CiS man, I can only try to relate to this issue but really, this is depressing as fuck.

Oct 25, 2017
They could. Joker made a billion without it.
We know that Joker is an outlier in that regard and we routinely criticize Disney for being risk averse with their output. Foreign markets matter to them, not us.

Theres a reason we didn't see a bunch of Black Panther copies greenlit across Hollywood but we're still seeing cinematic universes trying to get started. We still don't live in a world that is really ready for this shit yet and expecting Disney to brute force it is pointless. It's gonna be slow, like every other bit of progress and this shit is tiring.

Ooopsklo

Banned
Aug 20, 2019
Okay, for a moment there you almost had me thinking you actually knew if he's full of shit. Alas, it was just a non sequitur to news his answer had been misunderstood.
I just wish they wouldn't say they are doing lgbt and they just let it showed on screen. Same thing with Star Wars and dc and everyone.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Eternals make the most sense, you're already going pretty far with ancient superhumans, and some of them even had their genders changed from the comics, so gender-fluid ancient superhumans seem like step that they could take.

Edit: hmm that twitter post...

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
The CW DC Universe is network television, that is not at all comparable. Network television just has to appease a national market. If you're using that argument then I can rebut by saying that Marvel Television has plenty of LGBT representation with Jessica Jones being arguably the best out of the Marvel Television properties in regards to that sort of representation.
It shows a severe misunderstanding of the economics of network television, and it is the same argument that was used to say black ppanther couldn't work.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
Real question: does Supergirl (or any of the DC shows) air in China? There's obviously some very progressive content in there.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
It shows a severe misunderstanding of the economics of network television, and it is the same argument that was used to say black ppanther couldn't work.

No it wasn't.

Black Panther and Captain Marvel were not released earlier because of Ike Perlmutter. He believed that women and minorities couldn't sell merchandise and it took his removal of authority by Alan Horn and Bob Iger for those movies to truly get themselves into production.

Status
Not open for further replies.