• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I hope it will be an Agents of Atlas show, as opposed to a straight up Wave series, since there's not quite enough material, or else Marvel Studios would have to come up with something themselves. But an Agents of Atlas show would be cool and bring in many more Asian heroes.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
I just remembered that Ned is Filipino. Let's get some Spider-Ned antics when they do Spider-Verse.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
They aren't Southeast Asian.

It feels nice though. It's nice to have a Disney Princess with Southeast Asian heritage with the movie also revolving around the cultures, and using bits and pieces for inspiration. Just like how Moana felt good for a demographic.

Meh, I don't even think they got the culture right. The outfits are downright insulting and they look like they were designed by a white dude whose only experience with our "heritage" is a weekend in Bali.

Wake me up when we see some real SEA diversity in their casting. Until then, consider me unimpressed. It's not even Crazy Rich Asians bad. This is Just Cause/Zoolander bad lol.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Where's Atlantis in the MCU anyway?

I think Wakanda & Atlantis were in Iron Man 2

jhj3ort0nd141.jpg

Jun 17, 2019
Okay does the Third (or is he the second) Thunderbird count, as he's Indian, I'm trying to remember his name. He's a mutant though. But he'd be an interesting choice to use, though do they keep the code name or not?

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
It's gonna be Wave, she's the only notable Southeast Asian Marvel hero... unless Kevin Feige is insane enough to introduce these guys in the MCU.

image.jpg
I was excited about a Thai marvel hero and they just turned out to be a rejected Dynasty Warrior character. So boring.
Love the rest of the crews style though.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
How Popular are some of the other asian characters in asia/SE asia? Like Luna Snow? I know mobile games are big in Asia, not sure SE Asia.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Yo, it's kind of wild how hilariously messed up/confused some folks' sense of geography is within this thread. lol

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Fast-tracking Wave was not something I was anticipating but my folks would absolutely love it.

Assuming her because there's (unfortunately) not anyone else worth a damn Marvel-wise from SEA.

Oct 27, 2017
Fast-tracking Wave was not something I was anticipating but my folks would absolutely love it.

Assuming her because there's (unfortunately) not anyone else worth a damn Marvel-wise from SEA.

What's stopping Feige/Marvel Studios from creating a new character for the MCU? I'm surprised they haven't started doing this already especially in cases where there aren't a lot of viable picks out there in the comics.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
How Popular are some of the other asian characters in asia/SE asia? Like Luna Snow? I know mobile games are big in Asia, not sure SE Asia.
Mobile games are super popular. Philippines is the country that are texting the most in the world. Mobile is hugely popular, probably in all of Southeast Asia. And Luna Snow must have an audience since they got some pretty popular singers to do her music videos.

Interesting that he specified "Southeast Asian," because I think only Wave would qualify. I haven't followed up on them in a while but aren't the rest of the Agents of Atlas from Korea or China? I just hope he's not confusing South Asian (Ms. Marvel) or East Asian (Shang-Chi) with SE Asian.
Since the lead-in question was about Raya and the Last Dragon, plus the fact that if he was talking about an already-announced property one assumes he would have specifically namechecked them, I would say/hope he's probably not confused about what Southeast Asia entails.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Interesting that he specified "Southeast Asian," because I think only Wave would qualify. I haven't followed up on them in a while but aren't the rest of the Agents of Atlas from Korea or China? I just hope he's not confusing South Asian (Ms. Marvel) or East Asian (Shang-Chi) with SE Asian.

Yeah it is:

Shang Chi - Chinese
Aero - Chinese
Sword Man - Chinese

Luna Snow - Korean
White Fox - Korean
Silk - Korean American
Brawn - Korean American
Crescent and Io - Korean

Wave - Filipna

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
It is kind of disappointing that the majority of the newer Asian/SE characters came out of a mobile game. I think that is where Luna Snow and Crescent and Io came from and those four SE characters all came from 'Future Fight' But whatever, if they are able to be brought on the big screen it would be cool.

At least Luna Snow and Crescent/Io also have their own 'team' book series tho.

I'd love the idea of a video game Marvel character debuting in the MCU just to see people say "this character came from a free-to-play mobile game".

Yes. An Agents of Atlas Disney+ show has been rumored for a while. Kinda hoping to see Jimmy Woo in a Shang-Chi post credits scene welcoming Shang-Chi to the team. Kinda like what Nick Fury did with Tony Stark.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, too. Jimmy Woo being in San Fransisco was already pretty telling for me that we're going to be seeing Agents of Atlas. A Shang Chi sequel that features the Agents of Atlas would make for a Civil War style sequel.

I was excited about a Thai marvel hero and they just turned out to be a rejected Dynasty Warrior character. So boring.
Love the rest of the crews style though.

I'm not going to judge The Warriors of the Sky until I've seen them debut in the comics, the comics gave Crescent and Io and Luna Snow some pretty awesome characterisation.

as someone of Sri Lankan heritage I am stunned to learn i am not south east asian 😂

Sri Lanka is in South Asia alongside India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Bhutan, Maldives and Nepal.

en.wikipedia.org

South Asia - Wikipedia

What's stopping Feige/Marvel Studios from creating a new character for the MCU? I'm surprised they haven't started doing this already especially in cases where there aren't a lot of viable picks out there in the comics.

They've technically already done that with Agent Coulson. Hope Van Dyne and Kingo are so far removed from their comic origins that they're arguably original Marvel Studios characters, too.

Jul 4, 2018
They aren't Southeast Asian.
???

the group is Korean obviously but...

Lalisa Manoban(Thai: ลลิษา มโนบาล; born Pranpriya Manoban (Thai: ปราณปรียา มโนบาล) on March 27, 1997), better known by the mononym Lisa (Hangul: 리사), is a Thai rapper, singer, and dancer based in South Korea. She is a member of the South Korean girl group Blackpink under YG Entertainment.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_(rapper)

Also just in general excited for the MCU to get more diverse it's taken a long time but with Black Panther and Captain Marvel in the last couple of years and Shang Chi and Ms. Marvel coming up we are finally getting some much needed non White dude lead superheroes.

I don't think anyone has fully listed the region yet so SEA is made up of
  • Brunei
  • Cambodia
  • Indonesia
  • Laos
  • Malaysia
  • Myanmar
  • Phillipines
  • Singapore
  • Thailand
  • Vietnam
  • East Timor

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017

A lot of people on this very thread are confused, so there's a good chance Feige confused it as well.

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, no chance in hell he's confused. He was specifically asked about Southeast Asian representation. If there's anything the entire Marvel Studios board should be well educated in it's representation. It's their whole thing:

"As I said, the world outside your window, no matter where you are, is what the Marvel world will represent."

Oct 31, 2017
Nah, no chance in hell he's confused. He was specifically asked about Southeast Asian representation. If there's anything the entire Marvel Studios board should be well educated in it's representation. It's their whole thing:

People here are confused. There's a chance he's confused as well and is referring to Ms. Marvel and Shang Chi. We have seen no indication of SE Asians coming before this interview. Hope I'm wrong, but I think there's more than one chance in hell that he was thinking about these two which would still be in line with his quote on the window outside being the Marvel Universe.

That's a funny quote to me though. I understand what he meant, but my first thought was what if I live in a shitty area and my window is full of prostitutes, pimps, and drug dealers lol.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
It's gonna be Wave, she's the only notable Southeast Asian Marvel hero... unless Kevin Feige is insane enough to introduce these guys in the MCU.

image.jpg

No idea who the hell they are, but they look cool as shit, give me a D+ show with this team now.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
Southeast Asia... so Ireland, right?

Seriously, though, it's wild that there's such a hole for Marvel heroes from that region considering how crucial it was to America in the 60s and 70s with the Vietnam War. Anything south of China and north of Australia was pretty much ignored until the last 15 years or so.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Jacob Batalon is Filipino-American, do Ned getting a cape identity could qualify. He could become a heroic version of Hobgoblin instead of having a villain turn.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
That's why I'd really like to see the original video for full context. There was that time when people thought Feige confirmed there would be a trans character in Eternals: https://variety.com/2020/film/news/marvel-trans-character-superhero-kevin-feige-1203455563/

While participating in a guest lecture series for the New York Film Academy in Los Angeles in December, Feige was asked if the studio has any plans "on bringing more LGBT+ characters into the MCU, specifically the T, trans characters."

"Yes — absolutely, yes," Feige said. "And very soon. In a movie that we're shooting right now."

But the studio had to walk it back and clarify that he meant LGBT+ in the broader sense. I guess Kevin missed the part about trans characters, specifically, and I do wonder if he might've misunderstood or misspoke in this case as well.

Yeah it is:

Shang Chi - Chinese
Aero - Chinese
Sword Man - Chinese

Luna Snow - Korean
White Fox - Korean
Silk - Korean American
Brawn - Korean American
Crescent and Io - Korean

Wave - Filipna
Gimme Aero, Luna, Wave, Quake, and Magma (I know she's not Asian in the comics, but I just want all of the classical elements represented, lol). Have Jimmy Woo and/or Melinda May as their handlers. Seriously, I wish Feige would integrate AoS more into the MCU proper. It was insane that a network show had not one, but two prominent Asian-American leads.

And since the original question was related to Raya, I'd love if Kelly Marie Tran got cast a Vietnamese superhero. That'd give her the trifecta of Star Wars/Disney/Marvel roles, just like Ming-Na. It's too bad Mantis is already taken and changed so much from her comics origin. The only other possibility that comes to mind is Karma.

Pet Rock

Mar 14, 2018
Someone mentioned her already, but I hope they don't fully whitewash Hailee Steinfeld like what seems to be usually done with her characters

OP
OP
luca

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get these posts trying to explain it away with a misunderstanding. They're setting up Jimmy Woo, Shang-Chi and there's been heavy rumors of Agents of Atlas for a while, and a look at Atlantis in Eternals and eventual arrival of Namor. There's reason to believe they're building toward it, especially with them wanting to represent a big part of the world. One way to do that is to introduce a black lead, a woman lead, a Muslim teenager, and a Chinese kung-fu master. A Filipina ocean hero is not far away from that, to represent yet another corner of the world. Is it suddenly too hard to believe when we get more specific with the regions, adding Southeast Asian representation. There's a huge market right there untapped.

I would like to watch a video too, but I've been looking around and it's not there. Apparently nobody recorded it when the interview was live.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Get Joe Taslim as a main. Lol people thinking China and Korea are SEA.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

For the most part you're not wrong and I don't really have a good answer against it - the MCU has really become its own thing and Marvel's love of brand synergy guarantees whatever happens in the MCU will make it's way to the mainline comics.

I just can't help but find it personally weird as a long-time comic fan who ultimately cherishes the MCU as an adaptation of said comics to suddenly just open the floodgates for creating things entirely out of whole cloth. Like, even the characters that have been created have generally either minor/secondary characters or made as replacement adaptations of existing characters. It's just not a barrier I wanna cross yet especially when there's still so much stuff that hasn't been adapted yet.

And on that note:

Yeah it is:

Shang Chi - Chinese
Aero - Chinese
Sword Man - Chinese

Luna Snow - Korean
White Fox - Korean
Silk - Korean American
Brawn - Korean American
Crescent and Io - Korean

Wave - Filipna

It is honestly really depressing that of these characters (members of the Asian-focused Agents of Atlas, for the record) all but Wave are either Chinese or South Korean, all but Shang-Chi and Brawn were created within the last 10 years (and Amadeus Cho only became Brawn fairly recently), and that most were created mainly by Chinese/Korean video game developers looking to pad out for mobile games.

And before one goes "what about Big Hero 6" word on the grapevine is that they're off-limits, they're entirely Disney now, Marvel gave them up.

Point all being, god damn does Marvel need to get better at this.