• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
4eb7f136a2dd990340ea21dfa62ae9a8.jpg

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Mysterio is dead though.
Could do like they did with the Shocker in HC and just have Mysterio 2. I'd be down for a Peter Billingsley's Mysterio.

Stop trying to make Peter into Tony Jr.
I swear the people who continue to say this only watched the Raimi movies and called it a day. Every issue of the comic book/episode of the TV show doesn't stop cold for Peter to grieve his uncle Ben.

Last edited:

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Unless it is a Spidey + Deadpool movie, I'm not hype, they're decent movies at best, but Spidey 2 is still king.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who 100% paid attention to FFH

People are actually going to buy that Mysterio video? Like, why?

Spiderman is a proven hero, why would that clip completely reverse perception?

Also, Beck went to shoot Peter in the head and he grabbed his arm and threw him down, but what was his death blow? Getting shot by the drone and he just blew out?
JJJ showing up on an InfoWars style online video wasn't conincidence.

Last edited:

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
They will do Spider-Island: every kid in high school will do a « I'm Spartacus » in front of JJJ while wearing a Spider-Suit and doing Spider stuff. The cure for Spider powers will conveniently wipe everyone's memories. Peter may or may not take it depending on Tom Holland's contract.

Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping they would reverse it in the third film, could still happen but it's sounding like it's permanent. I'm sure there is more to it but Spidey losing his secret identity just because it's never been done before would be stupid.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Stop trying to make Peter into Tony Jr.
I don't get why people are so hung up on this.

FFH seems like it will be the last movie where this will even be able to be a thing and the movie isn't trying to make him Tony Jr., but is tying off Tony's influence as the stepping stone to allow Peter to step into his own as a major character (in the future) of the MCU. Not as Iron Man, not as leader of the Avengers, not as inheriting Tony's company or role in the universe in any kind of literal sense, but as Peter getting the means and tech he wouldn't realistically be able to get access to as a poor teenager from Queens, no matter how smart he is.

Even when we see Peter getting a new suit in Tony's plane, it wasn't Tony creating his suit from beyond the grave, it was Peter customizing his suit to fit his needs for the first time from the work Tony did. This was Peter's moment of growing and stepping out of Tony's shadow, just like Tony had to grow and step out of Howard's shadow previously.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I was hoping they would reverse it in the third film, could still happen but it's sounding like it's permanent. I'm sure there is more to it but Spidey losing his secret identity just because it's never been done before would be stupid.
But it's been done multiple times in the comics to various effects.

It's not just because it's never been done.

ilikesanta

Oct 26, 2017
Well as much time as Spidey was walking around in his suit without his mask on, people were going to figure it out.

Side note (what's the Next marvel movie coming out? I have no idea!

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
In the comics i think Peter revealed his identity during civil war. Curious where they will go with it now, since civil war already happened.
From what I've heard, he reveals his identity because he sides with Iron Man and the first thing that happens is villains start targeting aunt May and MJ.

Secret identities are mostly used as a tool to put female characters in danger and it's okay to move on.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
From what I've heard, he reveals his identity because he sides with Iron Man and the first thing that happens is villains start targeting aunt May and MJ.

Secret identities are mostly used as a tool to put female characters in danger and it's okay to move on.
I mean now that his identity's public MJ, his aunt, and his school are in danger more than ever

Oct 25, 2017
But it's been done multiple times in the comics to various effects.

It's not just because it's never been done.

I meant as Feige says in the article that it's never been done on screen. I get it's been done in the comics but never with any permanence, I'm happy if they spend the third movie with his secret identity being known but if doesn't get resolved and becomes the new status quo for the character beyond that I think it's a mistake.

There is a reason Spider-Man man is so relatable to so many different people and it's because at the end of the day he's normal and has normal problems. Everyone at Marvel Studios obviously understands that because it's a big part of ffh but I don't see taking that away permanently from the character is a good thing especially as presumably they will have more movies where he is beyond highschool. I'm not saying they need to remake Spider-Man 2 but if we have A Peter Parker that's a career avenger at 16 I think that's really weird.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it'll be a 50/50 type of thing. Most people are skeptical that a teenager could really be Spider-Man while deranged infowars types are 100% believing in it.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I mean now that his identity's public MJ, his aunt, and his school are in danger more than ever
You're stuck thinking in old school comic book logic. You want to know why a villain isn't capturing MJ but you don't want to know why they're not actively peeling finger nails off of super heroes whenever they're captured.

Let's move on. Let's have villains with more interesting aspirations than "how best to fridge the main character's girlfriend?"

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I meant as Feige says in the article that it's never been done on screen. I get it's been done in the comics but never with any permanence, I'm happy if they spend the third movie with his secret identity being known but if doesn't get resolved and becomes the new status quo for the character beyond that I think it's a mistake.

There is a reason Spider-Man man is so relatable to so many different people and it's because at the end of the day he's normal and has normal problems. Everyone at Marvel Studios obviously understands that because it's a big part of ffh but I don't see taking that away permanently from the character is a good thing especially as presumably they will have more movies where he is beyond highschool. I'm not saying they need to remake Spider-Man 2 but if we have A Peter Parker that's a career avenger at 16 I think that's really weird.
I don't think having a secret identity in itself is relatable for normal people unless you are living a double life. The relatable part is Peter trying to be able to act normal and he'd still be trying to do that since he's still just a kid.

Just think of it being the difference between a child actor/celebrity and an adult actor/celebrity. An adult gets to mold their life around that public persona and their priorities, with the means and resources to have more control over their lives. A kid is more beholden to the adults in their lives making big decisions for them and they simply don't have the experience to act like an adult and have the same amount of control. At the same time, they are also trying to just be like other kids who don't have to worry about careers and their public image can just be a kid.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I had to look up what One More Day was and lol please no:
He goes to Dr. Strange for help, he claims he can't (bullshit), and that nobody in the world can help. To emphasize this, Strange creates clone projections of Spider-Man to send to every possible person that could fix May and they all say they can't do it. This includes Reed Richards, T'challa, Doctor Octopus, and even fucking Doctor Doom. This is mega bullshit.
It's even dumber than that
Reminder May just has a bullet wound not some magic disease a bullet wound

Yet Wakanda who was able to cure cancer can't fix that
Doom and Mr fantastic the two smartest people in the marvel universe who makes the biggest bullshit technology were powerless

He went to the fucking Xmen and in comica the Xmen established Wolverine blood can heal people and they have a mutant healer named a elixir who literally regrow someone's heart but nope bullet wound is too much

Also the comic had doctor Strange heal Spiderman in the exact same comic but handwave as "fuck you it's magic"

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017

Also, Beck went to shoot Peter in the head and he grabbed his arm and threw him down, but what was his death blow? Getting shot by the drone and he just blew out?
There are still people who don't believe in climate change even as certain countries become uninhabitable. It is well within reason to think people would buy into this en masse.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Fisk and Osborn are two notable villains who would be perfectly fine with murdering a 16 year old in cold blood, and they're absent from the MCU thus far. You make this move because the next villain that Peter has to face is gonna be someone truly depraved.

It's no coincidence that they introduced Jameson in this stinger, Mac Gargan is going to be out for blood in Spider-Man: Home Sweet Home.

I think that they will continue the Villian is the hero trope and have someone like Kraven hunt him down in Spiderman: Home Is Where The Heart Is. My alternative story is that Peter goes where he thinks no one will ever find him: a ghost town on the edge of the badlands. Instead of solitude, he ends up being hunted by the Serpent Society in Spiderman: Home Home On The Range.

Xpike

Oct 25, 2017

Because Mysterio was also a known hero at this point, hyped up as the next big thing, so he perfectly manipulated the narrative to make it seem like he died a hero and Spider-Man was jealous he was taking his place. It's exactly the shit ERA itself would eat up.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I'm going to take a stretch and say

We get a straight up villainous JJJ in the third movie. JJJ's role in the creation of both the Spider Slayers and Scorpion have always been major black marks on his character in the comics, and frankly only got relatively swept under the rug the way it did because of how established a character he is in the mythos.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I'm going to take a stretch and say

We get a straight up villainous JJJ in the third movie. JJJ's role in the creation of both the Spider Slayers and Scorpion have always been major black marks on his character in the comics, and frankly only got relatively swept under the rug the way it did because of how established a character he is in the mythos.

Wait the Slayers too?, I don't remember that

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017

lol This video is great. I was thinking of this exact same thing in my MCU Spider-Man rewatch leading up to FFH as well as how careless Ned and Peter can get talking about stuff in FFH, not to mention how ridiculously out of his way Peter has to go to prevent his friends and classmates from finding out he's Spider-Man.

Just like the saying, "it takes a village to raise a child," it takes a whole universe to keep Peter's secret. It does make sense that they just drop it eventually and everyone has to deal with the reality.