• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I guess my main issue with time travel and multiverse stuff is it seems to diminish the impact of the heroes we love because they can pull an alternate version right out of their pocket with zero warning. Like when The Flash TV did flashpoint, we literally lost all the versions of the characters we knew and loved up until that point and the writers acted like it didn't matter.

I guess Marvel Studios one out is that this is supposed to be the "sacred timeline" but that might not mean anything now beyond it just being the one timeline He Who Remains came from.
Seems like exactly the sort of "rules" a studio would want to discuss beforehand so they don't fall into the genre trappings of having a multiverse....

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
With Feige behind it, we will get the good version of Sp/dr
il_fullxfull.1792373751_khtc.jpg

638f9b5e5eeb37fff750309a5f6b16bd.jpg

I don't trust Feige with Spider-Man, lol.

Gengahrrr

Oct 25, 2017
You know they're going to use the "multiverse" to justify bringing back Michael B. Jordan as the next BP.

They'll let Shuri parade around as BP for awhile before multiverse shenanigans hit and good guy Killmonger pops up.

Oct 25, 2017
So the multiverse has been touched upon or at least alluded to in the following releases:

- Endgame (Ancient one; Steve Rogers)
- Loki

and is clearly a major part of:

- Spider-man No Way Home
- Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
- Ant-man and the Wasp Quantumania

It's clearly a major part of Phase 4, and they're obviously putting a lot of thought into how they handle it. I wonder to what extent existing, pre-Disney film properties will be incorporated (pretty strong rumours for Spider-man, but I'd like to know about X-men). I also wonder what this means for what the big bad threat for Phase 4 will be - is it Kang? Is it leading to Secret Wars-style clash of the multiverses? Thanos only showed up in the 6th MCU film, and didn't really culminate as the central baddie right until the end with Infinity War/Endgame, so I wonder how long they keep their powder dry for the next main villain, and if Phase 4, 5, 6,.... will be a 20+ film endeavour like the the Infinity Saga was.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that the multiverse stuff is already insane makes me really excited for the future.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I sincerely hope all if the weak ideas of using the multiverse to introduce X-Men, Deadpool, etc are never played out on film. Marvel Studios can do much better than that.

Edit: Don't bother responding to subpar in an MCU thread. They're here to troll like always.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I sincerely hope all if the weak ideas of using the multiverse to introduce X-Men, Deadpool, etc are never played out on film. Marvel Studios can do much better than that.

X-Men and mutants should appear naturally, they could have been in hiding in smaller numbers until they start rapidly appearing after the snap or something. No reason to use multiverse shenanigans to bring them in.

Fantastic Four on the other hand...they could do something interesting. I've been wondering if Immortus already knew Reed and Doom would be a challenge for him to deal with, so maybe he placed them outside of time and Sylvie killing him is what brings them back into the picture.

Damn, he already bounced from set. SMH

how unprofessional, finishing a movie like that

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I just hope they don't use this for cheap death fake outs. Oh this character died, but now they're back!

They already did it twice (Gamora and Loki) without even needing a multiverse, so...

because I've already seen people getting confused over "what's the difference between alternate timelines and alternate universes?".

To be frank, at this point I'm not 100% sure myself. Every time I thought I had it figured out, a new Loki episode threw a wrench at it. Do you have a link to somewhere that lays down the rules? (would have been great to have someone in that meeting clarify it all, hahah).

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Was the meeting:

Go bat shit crazy with whatever you want because we can write anything off as a different universe?
probably the opposite, as audiences have typically connected with meaningful canonical stories in the MCU

I imagine the sky is still the limit, but there are restrictions on when you're allowed to soar there.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You gotta establish rules of engagement in regards to time and space before handling the X-Men, lol.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I loved HWR's exposition dump with the miniature visual guide lol. Shit already got crazy in episode 5 and I love all of it.
I wonder if the reason HWR let Thanos Snap happen is because he needed the Endgame Avengers to develop their time travel shit so he could reverse engineer it and improve upon it.

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it culminates in integrating motherfucking Charlie cox DD into the MCU. Come on you cowards, you know it's deserved.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
the moment they talked about the sacred timeline It became pretty obvious that Loki would be the excuse to start the multiverse on MCU
which is funny because the multiverse is something that I associate with DC comics

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the reaction'll be if sometime in the future they pull a DC and put out a series of movies that have zero connection to the "main" universe so they can bring back Iron Man, Captain America, etc.. I have a sneaking suspicion that What if...? is a testing ground for something like that

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I just don't want people to go crazy with thier expectations about the multiverse stuff. It's just a tool in the toolbox is not going to be the mission statement going forward.