• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Homecoming was nothing like a John Hughes film outside of it featuring a high school.

I guess we're expecting more than lip service to great works and for the 'influence' to be more than surface level window-dressing and more to do with the themes and emotional narratives those films explore.
Homecoming has its own themes and emotional narratives, probably influenced by those of the Hughes films? They need to be exactly the same?

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's a bit disappointing. Was hoping this new phase would allow them to experiment more with genres.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Horror movies relay on the protag being afraid. The only thing Strange fears is Big Ben Franklin

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
At the end of the day, Marvel movies will always be superhero movies. As they should be.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I guess the director lied then? He said it would be the MCU's first horror movie. Could've made for some genre diversity. But I guess not.

I wouldn't say Scott Derriskon's lying, rather, Kevin Feige's trying to make Multiverse of Madness as inclusive as possible for moviegoing audiences.

As popular as the Horror genre is, some casual moviegoers just don't like being scared.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
If you read comic books this is like a yearly event for a lot of superheroes and they always get them back. Really not the best example lol
Remember when he told his bosses to fuck off and made his own system of magic......and became a hipster
portrait_uncanny.jpg

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering they had no script for this when they started im not surprised to learn things changed

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
If the nightmare sequences are as well done as the Mysterio sequences in Far From Home, the movie should be in good shape.

Oct 25, 2017
It has very clear and obvious influences from John Hughes films. A strange thing to "lmao" at.

If you were expecting a literal John Hughes film instead of influences mixed with the superhero format, that's on you.
this is some fine old revisionist history, people were very directly invoking Hughes work as a point of comparison for Homecoming, which it doesn't warrant. Apparently all John Hughes means to some people is high School.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
this is some fine old revisionist history, people were very directly invoking Hughes work as a point of comparison for Homecoming, which it doesn't warrant.

No revisionist history at all. I disagree that it wasn't warranted

Apparently all John Hughes means to some people is high School.

No, it was also how the teenagers were written and their interactions with each other. Again, the influences were clear. The movie itself was not literally a John Hughes movie. It's still a superhero film. Most people understood what the comparisons meant.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Was anyone actually expecting any different? No way would Disney let Marvel make an actual horror film under the MCU banner.

That's not a bad thing.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I expected scary themes but I never expected an actual horror movie. People thought it was a full fledge horror? Like Hereditary or some shit?

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
itt people that were only interested in seeing the movie so they can drop hot takes online pretend that they were expecting something different.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I'm a giant coward when it comes to horror, so this is good news imo.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It'll be a horror film in the same way Winter Soldier was a 70s political thriller. Smart of Feige to temper expectations.

I doubt it will lean that far.

I was excited for black widow because i thought it would lean heavier into spy thriller given that well, she's not super powerful super hero, and yet in trailers it looks unbelievably generic super hero team action movie .

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
This thread is weird. I'm very curious what people thought "a John Hughes movie" meant, in the context of Homecoming.

Likewise with Multiverse of Madness. Did you think it was gonna feature graphic dismemberment or extreme psychological terror?