• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Swedish people do it too, lol
Even Google knows what's up.

839-C0-BDE-2-F19-4944-B855-03-EA37-B83-E49.jpg

Remember for the Swedish this is a choice. Whereas in Japan it was necessitated due to WW2 and food scarcity. It just so happened to create a new type of cuisine in the process ナポリタン. There are a lot of food oddities in Japan that are the direct result of the reconstruction after WW2.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I literally almost spit out my drink when I saw the question in this thread title.

As a cook I felt an emotional reaction, as if the entirety of my culinary snobbery cried out for retribution all at once.

there's struggling' then there's ketchup on pasta strugglin'.
Crisco, dried herbs, and seasoned salt is struggle pasta.

This is just straight out of a twisted mind. A dish from beyond the event horizon.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
When I was a kid I did it a lot tbh. Easy and tasty for that age I suppose.

Though these days whenever I cook pasta it's usually with something that's already saucy, so there's no need for ketchup or a specific sauce for the pasta itself.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not.

ketchup should be used to complement other strong flavours - not as a base flavour on a relatively bland food

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I can no longer make threads because I made a stupid James Spader themed white people thread, and I admit I deserved it.

This is a bridge too far.

I think the mods, in the least, should make OP's avatar forever a bottle of Heinz or something.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In all honesty ketchup is just tomato paste with a lot of sugar and bacon is a poor man's pancetta so ketchup on spaghetti with bacon and butter is just a struggle spaghetti bolognese/carbonara.

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta say ketchup compliments the flavour well of the bacon, buttery noodles and chili flakes.

I rarely ever have just bland pasta with nothing + ketchup.
Are you able to pinpoint at which exact moment you turned against the light?
But then you eat like pickled herring so you were probably born into living this incredibly misdirected life.
You may not want nor accept my sympathy, but nonetheless I extend it to you.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Have y'all never had Jollibee? Their Jolly Spaghetti is basically pasta, ketchup, and hotdogs.

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
This is common in Asia. As a 7 year old I once unknowingly ordered ketchup pasta at a restaurant and cried about it.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Only on American chop suey. Which I love.

American chop suey w ketchup is the best way to eat it. Fucking delicious.

(American chop suey at least around me is pretty simple pasta + hamburger + tomato sauce dish, usually with onions and peppers and some other shit. Some people add cheese. I know there's some other variants of it in the us but that's what it is around me)

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Even Google knows what's up.

839-C0-BDE-2-F19-4944-B855-03-EA37-B83-E49.jpg

Remember for the Swedish this is a choice. Whereas in Japan it was necessitated due to WW2 and food scarcity. It just so happened to create a new type of cuisine in the process ナポリタン. There are a lot of food oddities in Japan that are the direct result of the reconstruction after WW2.
Wait... do other people not eat ketchup on hot dogs? Isn't that it's biggest "purpose"?

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I've never had it. Probably will never have it. Honestly not a huge ketchup person. Regular ketchup that is, I've had fancy ketchups in restaurants that are quite good.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
when canned pasta sauce or a tin of tomatoes is as cheap as ketchup.... nah brah

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Yes of course, pasta (in it's many forms) is great with ketchup as a condiment. I'm surprised people are so agressively against this, must be a cultural thing. As it's rather common here, nothing out of ordinary. I'm from a Nordic country myself too. Recently I've been absolutely loving habanero ketchup.
habaneroketsuppi-1.png

Aya

I've only seen little kids do that. Why? Because they don't know better and they can't appreciate yet the simplicity and perfection of aglio e oglio for example.

Choosing ketchup for pasta over olive oil, cacio e pepe or a datterini can for an easy to do homemade tomato sauce is very sad. Especially when all of these options are just as affordable or even more affordable than a bottle of ketchup at the corner store.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
What's wrong with ketchup on pasta now? imagine being snobbish about something as stupid as this. embarrassing

So fucking tired of the whining in threads like this. pineapple on pizza or whatever fucking else

Making posts how things are disgusting are acting like they are 5 years old mature wise imo

It's fine you don't like something but don't fucking tell someone else what they should like or not

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
You are a monster
Pasta and Ketchup is murder to my country's culture.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I think my Filipino friends told me they put banana ketchup in their spaghetti. Lines up with my experience at Jollibee.. the spaghetti was super sweet.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Lots of people here have never been broke it seems.

Ketchup & Noodles was my go-to "end of the month" dish as a college student (who often pissed his money away and was broke by the 24th of each month).
A 500g pack of noodles is like 40 cents and a bottle of store brand ketchup is like 1€.... so 5€ can feed you for a long time.
You also don't need any cooking skills and/or clean many dishes.

I also know that little kids often eat this dish in case they don't like the pasta sauce their parents made.
Outside of kids and broke people, it's considered a really gross dish nobody would ever serve here in Germany.
It's a step down even from the pre made pasta sauces you can buy in a jar or the famous Miracoli sets.