• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 225

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will never understand the disdain The Last Jedi gets. Maybe because I'm old enough to remember the prequel trilogy, and had to suffer through that.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
can't wait for that tearjerker scene with Anakin's ghost played by Hayden Christensen

forreal though I'm excited for this though I don't think it will top TLJ. but I like that he brought back Palpatine if only to keep the familiarity throughout the entire saga. will be fun watching all 8 movies prior to this.

I HATE being a ghost, echo plasm gets everywhere.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe he was choked up because he was going to be a character that would be looked up to by minority children. He was the first main role in the Star Wars universe which had very little in the way of representation other than Lando
As always Mace getting slept on.

Not taking away the impact of Finn but actors cry while reading scripts all the time. And more power to them. They spend months of their life preparing to and inhabiting a character. Its just kind of meaningless to take their emotional response as any sign of quality one way or another.

I mean Jake Gyllenhaal cried when he was reading the script for Southpaw.

Jake Gyllenhaal cried while reading 'Southpaw' script

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very concerned about Russell's character specifically because she looks very much like who I'd cast as Daisy Ridley's mother. If Abrams undoes the "Rey's parents are nobody" thing I will be most put out.
It won't necessarily undo what Kylo said, but its going to happen. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Hoping for a retcon for TLJ myself, that would be bold by Abrams.
At best you'll get an "X person was lying". Like maybe Kylo was lying to Rey to try and convince her to join him and her parents weren't nobody. There's a few theories going around to the effect that she's of Palpatine's bloodline or that she's got Skywalker DNA because she was genetically engineered and her actual "parents" were renowned scientists, or something. Which is not impossible.

TLJ still happened. Rose exists, Holdo sacrificed herself, Poe made a bad plan, Luke died, the Resistance was reduced to nothing but Luke's last stand will inspire many to join it, all the events still happened.

There's no way that TLJ would be actually retconned in any normal definition of the word. Lucasfilm takes canon too seriously to do that. They'd sooner rip it from Abrams' hands than let him pretend a whole fuckin' movie or even chunks of it never happened.

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017

Different strokes

tenor.gif

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
I will never understand the disdain The Last Jedi gets. Maybe because I'm old enough to remember the prequel trilogy, and had to suffer through that.
I really loved the direction ryan was going with TLJ. But his execution was terrible.

I dont want to go over it all again in the thread here, but if you want we can dm and I can try to explain what worked and didnt for me. Theres so many points about it that I think we all understand why people love it or hate it, I guess.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for all the die hard TLJ fans to go "We love you, JJ!" after JJ throws Rian Johnson's stuff under the bus.

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
It won't necessarily undo what Kylo said, but its going to happen. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
I really hope it won't. What Kylo said is one thing. What she saw in the pit is much more important and pit showed "nothing". But meeting her parents face to face might be necessary step for Rey to grow.
I think JJ might do redemption arc for Kylo and I'm not sure if i want him to. Ehhh whatever.. I certainly didn't expect TLJ do turn out the way in did and it's up there with ESB. Hope for the best.
P.S. Will be surprised if JJ could top whole Luke vs First order sequence.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who really really liked TFA, and loved TLJ, I hope JJ manages to nail this movie and sticks the landing! He definitely needs to take more risks compared to his last effort, so fingers crossed that he learnt that lesson.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are the chances she would say anything negative and be blackballed by Disney?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They can do more original stuff with a legit new series of films that have no connection to the other films, but for what they're working with now, doing something "safe" maybe isn't the worst idea in the world.

People want a Whopper and fries or Big Mac and fries when they go to Burger King or McDonalds, changing the menu for a week to pasta isn't going to work even if the pasta is pretty good.

This isn't high art if it ever was, this is part IX of a series of a movies that really honestly ended well enough at part III (meaning episode VI, ROTJ) and is just being milked for money at this point.

I get what Rian was trying to do and its commendable, but sometimes if a person just wants a burger and fries, just give it to them. Star Wars is a money marketing machine at this point, whatever "bold" thing is had to say was already said in the original three films. Give the masses their lightsabers and nostalgia coddling and get on with it.

Last edited:

Starphanluke

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 15, 2017
Palpatine being back? Ruins of a death star? Yeah, new stuff.

Lmao.

I know, man. I here Rey and Kylo and Finn are back too. And the Falcon. And Chewie. Pffft... old news, amirite?

You know well that it's not about the characters or set pieces or shit like that which makes a film unique, but the ways in which they are used. But sure, let's complain that the conclusion to the saga features its main villain.

NHarmonic.

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know, man. I here Rey and Kylo and Finn are back too. And the Falcon. And Chewie. Pffft... old news, amirite?

You know well that it's not about the characters or set pieces or shit like that which makes a film unique, but the ways in which they are used. But sure, let's complain that the conclusion to the saga features its main villain.

Moving goalposts i see.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
What the fuck

Is this a jab at R*** J******?

Very clearly so.

There are varying degrees of bad. The prequels botched pretty much everything, at the very least TLJ is a competently shot and beautiful movie with some shockingly poor narrative choices, in my opinion.