• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wombleac

Nov 8, 2017
Title says most of it, but I have a base PS4 and love both types of games. If you had to pick an experience which one and why? If you played both which one is the best. Time isn't a factor. Thanks in advance.

May 16, 2018
I've only played Outer Wilds, but it lives up to the hype for me even though the praises some sing for it may seem hyperbolic. Truly one of my favorite games ever.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played KRZ on the PS4, but I have been playing Outer Wilds on it. The base PS4 struggles with the games at times, but not so much that I haven't been enjoying myself.

They're such different games though, it's hard for me to provide a direct comparison.

Do you want a deeply moody game where flavor text and story are the name of the day, or do you want an exploration game that might frustrate at times and incredibly reward you at others?

They're both very unique experiences . . . I really don't think you'll go wrong either way.

Oct 28, 2017
Australia
Cheese

or

shoes?

They're both so different. For my money KR0 is one of the greatest works of art I've experienced this century. I mean it. And Outer Wilds is a great video game that's really unique and interesting too. Make time to play them both!

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Outer Wilds for sure. KR0 is great but it will wait for you to be ready for it.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Get KRZ if you crave for some great writing but not necessarily gameplay, otherwise go for Outer Wilds. Also check out Return of the Obra Dinn!

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
Get KRZ if you crave for some great writing but not necessarily gameplay, otherwise go for Outer Wilds. Also check out Return of the Obra Dinn!
I have played through all three of these in the past six months and they are truly three of the most unique and profound game experiences one can have. They are nothing like anything else out there and should be played by everyone.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Both could be Game Of The Year.

Kentuky is a work of art. You know there is a museum for video game? It should be one of the top pillar. In term of everything, from music, to graphic, to story, theme.
It is simply a masterpiece.

Outer Wilds is amazing. There is not much i would change in the game. The controls are a bit funky at the beginning but you get the hang of it the more you play. It's a game that will stay with you for a long time.

I suggest not looking anything about both of those games if you want the true experience.

Honestly, it all depend on what you prefer, point and click or 3d puzzle platformer?

Why not get both?

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
I really loved both games but KR0 resonated with me more for some reason. But really you should play both games, they are so so good.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Outer Wilds is one of the very best games I've ever played. Do yourself a favor, buy it and go in blind. Have fun!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
They're so different.

But Outer Wilds was my GOTY easily last year so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hmmm. Have not played Kentucky Route Zero, but hearing great things. I can recommend Outer Wilds blindly. One of the best games of last year.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
They are very different. But you really can't go wrong with either one. Eventually just play both.

Noisepurge

Oct 25, 2017
Framerate of Outer Wilds is like 12fps, so on that alone would skip it. But technical and gameplay wise they are entirely different from point&click to fps physics puzzler

Deleted member 3925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Outer Wilds is one of my favorite games. KRZ was weird and atmospheric, but it didn't really click with me as much.

Both are really unique though.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly both are worth checking out if they interest you.

Kentucky Route Zero is an atmospheric "interactive novel" type of game, lots of complex branching dialogue that's well written and silent moments with the game's art and atmosphere, lots to dissect and it does strike a certain American Folklore meets David Lynch (in some ways) mood. Definitely not for everyone, but i've enjoyed it.

Outer Wilds is a game about discovery and exploring strange but interesting planets, with exploration, problem solving on the go and the way you progress is by gaining knowledge. It's also a game with some strong central themes that are told through gameplay and a balance of hope and loss. It's a bit hard to explain without spoiling the shit out of it, but it's a game best gone into as blind as possible and does have a lot going on for it in gameplay, though focused differently than most games.

But this is a bit apples and oranges here, honestly both have the potential to be stand-out experiences depending who you are. Just experiences very different to one another.

Oct 27, 2017
I've only played KRZ, but it lives up to the hype for me even though the praises some sing for it may seem hyperbolic. Truly one of my favorite games ever.

OP
OP
wombleac

wombleac

Nov 8, 2017
Thanks everybody. I flipped a coin and Outer Wilds was the winner, but it sounds like either are great. I'll play KRZ eventually. Thanks again.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Outer Wilds' performance on the base consoles is horrible. Performance on Kentucky Route Zero is perfect on Switch, so I'd assume the same for PS4. It's an amazing experience.

Is it really that bad on the base consoles? I played it on an X1X and the performance was fine.
It's really, really bad in many instances, yes.