• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShadowFlare

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People need to get out and vote people in to change the laws so shit like this doesn't get protected. If the laws don't change, outcomes like this will continue.
If the laws keep protecting killer cops...the cops gonna keep killing.

What happens when the majority of voters want to keep things the way they are? Should we just keep adding more bodies on the pile?

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Absolutely agree...but how are you going to prove that in court? By Kentucky law, they didn't need to knock (fucked up but true)...and they had a "witness" who saw them knock and verbally announce their presence. With those two things, I don't know how you get a conviction. The laws need to fucking change so this doesn't happen in the future. None of this is justice...but no idea how they a jury would have been able to convict with the evidence they had.

I've read reports of more witnesses claiming that there wasn't any knocking and that they just breached. There's definitely a good case for manslaughter. Laws absolutely need to be updated.

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
I've read reports of more witnesses claiming that there wasn't any knocking and that they just breached. There's definitely a good case for manslaughter. Laws absolutely need to be updated.
Grand Jury apparently had no evidence of that, and because of Kentucky's fucked up laws...it doesn't really matter if they did...they were a no-knock state. Should have been more than just manslaughter...again, though, I just have no idea how the hell you would get a conviction with the lack of evidence and way the law works in Kentucky.

EDIT: Does sound like the warrant WAS changed prior to the operation to require the knock. Nevertheless, if they even had one witness to say they heard and saw knocking...it would have been extraordinarily difficult to convict on anything above what was put forth. No justice was found today.

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"No officers charged directly in Breonna Taylor's death; 1 faces 3 counts over shooting into neighboring apartments."

Can't copy the tweet on my phone but that's the headline the AP used and it's probably the best way to write the headline. Would be nice if the OP title got updated to something like that.

I work outside of the city but a lot of folks here commute from downtown. None of us are really surprised, but it still hits pretty hard. The wait is only going to make things worse. Unlike a lot of these cases, the law (as fucked up as it is) should've made this decision quick for them.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
An apartment building received more justice in this case than Breonna and her family. This is like the ultimate end-game of the people that worry more about looting than the lives of protestors.

Oct 28, 2017
Why wouldn't he get into the racial makeup of the grand jury? Seems an odd thing to omit if things were on the up and up.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing will ever bring Breonna Taylor back or truly bring her justice, but Hankison going to jail + the police reforms agreed to as part of her civil settlement are pretty solid.

Really surprised AG Cameron even recommended charges against Hankison, considering his political aspirations.

How is that pretty solid when the charges against him aren't even for killing Breonna? Hell even going to jail for what he's been charged with isn't guaranteed either with how jurors treat police.

Oct 27, 2017
What are the chances that the feds will hold someone accountable for issuing the warrant in the first place? If they are justifying the shooting by saying the guy shot at police first, can they go after them because they shouldn't have been there to begin with?

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Before I log out for the night (because fuck this) if it hasn't already been said in this thread, wanton endangerment Charge doesn't even mention Taylor. It's for the neighbors. So, no justice at all.

Idk, I love Louisville but this is just trash. I expected it but I didn't want to hear it. Night

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Grand Jury apparently had no evidence of that, and because of Kentucky's fucked up laws...it doesn't really matter if they did...they were a no-knock state. Should have been more than just manslaughter...again, just no idea how the hell you would get a conviction with the lack of evidence and way the law works in Kentucky.

Grand Jury probably didn't have evidence of that because the prosecutor didn't bring it forward.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The USA has been broken for a long, long time and each and every blatant injustice hurts a little more. Never let yourself become numb to it.

That town will suffer tonight and I can't blame a single angry soul.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not...not saying that voting is going to solve everything.

I think there's a pretty healthy movement in Louisville itself for reforming things, but Louisville's maybe 30% tops of Kentucky so politically they can't change Kentucky State Law without a bigger coalition. Louisville's pretty diverse but Kentucky's actually a whiter state than Indiana.

OP
OP
Parthenios

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
How is that pretty solid when the charges against him aren't even for killing Breonna? Hell even going to jail for what he's been charged with isn't guaranteed either with how jurors treat police.
You have to be able to prove the cops did something illegal. On the books against the law. The law as it stood at the time that they killed Breonna allows cops to barge into your home in the middle of the night and shoot you dead. That's fucked up. But if it's legal to do so... what charges do you file against the officers? Bullshit stuff like wanton endangerment.

That's why protests are important--if the law is the problem (it is, the problem is systemic, not the 'bad apple' cops), then we need to put pressure until the law changes.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
So they're saying that nobody would have been charged at all if they didn't fire into a neighbor's apartment?

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
no justice in this godforsaken country

i guess we'll just have to deal with more brothers and sisters getting murdered. what else is america but a miserable pile of lies built up to protect and sustain the privileged in society. i guess they let a few more into the 1%ers club compared to feudalism. enough that people are okay with it.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
So they're saying that nobody would have been charged at all if they didn't fire into a neighbor's apartment?

Yes.

This is probably true...I'm saying though...if there was even one witness that says they knocked and announced their presence...this case would have been near impossible to prosecute under current Kentucky law.

If you have many witnesses that say otherwise, it would matter. If 20, as an example, say they didn't and one said they did, it's not an instant get out of jail free card. Though, I'm sure it still wouldn't have mattered to the Grand Jury nor is the law on the books correct.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is worse than just not announcing charges. Like they came out to say "oh but one of the cops was speeding and failed to yield on his way to the homicide he committed, and we'll absolutely be prosecuting him for that."

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Hold me to a better account than it seems this AG has done to police y'all, but am I getting the order of events right here?

- No knock warrant the wrong fucking house
- Dude with a gun permit defends himself to unannounced/non-uniform police
- Calls 911 after this fact (stating this because we know certain media will try and claim self-defence was done by "a thug" and we know what the fuck that means)
- Dude defending himself and Taylor gets put in jail and one of the pleas he gets from police is to say Taylor was secretly part of the drug raid they went to the wrong house over
- The Real Problem was that cops being John Woo put people outside of the wrong home they raided at risk was that they put nearby people through walls at risk

Did I miss anything here? If the above is true and there's no missing details, I find it hard to object to the rage that local community is about to have about all of this.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Effectively yes, this has nothing to do with Breonna's case right now. He's said multiple times, the cops did nothing wrong, she just happened to get killed and all they can do is toss their hands in the air and forget about it.

Oct 28, 2017
I mean you know why. He thinks because he's black that's how he's gonna smooth over this bullshit.
But all it really does is raise further questions. It does not put the issue to bed. It only magnifies it. No way to smooth that omission now. It is a scab that is going to be picked at until the truth is revealed.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Absolutely disgraceful reporting from the media.

bhTkC7d.png

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Let the motherfucker burn, and start with city hall. No justice no peace.

If it wasn't already clear that cops can murder innocent, unarmed civilians with impunity then here is yet another case. Ms. Taylor rests in peace with no justice to be found against her white murderers. Meanwhile, they wanted to bring down everything against her boyfriend who shot back not knowing that police had failed to identify themselves and still started blasting away in a mistaken home.

BIG-JG

Oct 27, 2017
America is total fucking shit, fuck this country I am ashamed that I have to live here. The fuckng republicans and racism is out of controll. If i had a flag I would burn that mother fucker.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But all it really does is raise further questions. It does not put the issue to bed. It only magnifies it. No way to smooth that omission now. It is a scab that is going to be picked at until the truth is revealed.
I mean yea, it's not going to work. That's just what he's going to use in the future to shield himself.

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I'm white as hell, so I don't know if this is justified and someone please hit me if it's not, but him saying "Well... I'M Black, and I speak for everyone here" to dodge the question on the Grand Jury makeup felt so fucking sleazy to me. It gave me the same feeling as overhearing someone use the "Black friend" line.

Absolutely disgraceful reporting from the media.

Flipping around right now and MSNBC is thankfully bluntly headlining it as "No Officers Charged in Death of Breonna Taylor".

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
Hold me to a better account than it seems this AG has done to police y'all, but am I getting the order of events right here?

- No knock warrant the wrong fucking house
- Dude with a gun permit defends himself to unannounced/non-uniform police
- Calls 911 after this fact (stating this because we know certain media will try and claim self-defence was done by "a thug" and we know what the fuck that means)
- Dude defending himself and Taylor gets put in jail and one of the pleas he gets from police is to say Taylor was secretly part of the drug raid they went to the wrong house over
- The Real Problem was that cops being John Woo put people outside of the wrong home they raided at risk was that they put nearby people through walls at risk

Did I miss anything here? If the above is true and there's no missing details, I find it hard to object to the rage that local community is about to have about all of this.
- Ended up not being a no-knock warrant. Witness(es) said they heard the cops announce and knock. Cops involved were not involved in creation of warrant so legally not liable for the fact it was for the wrong house. (The warrant itself is under a separate and unfinished investigation)

- Kentucky law allows for cops to shoot back if fired upon. (Lack of evidence to prove otherwise)

Justice was not served, but there is no chance you would have been able to get a conviction under current law.

Not dismissing anything, just talking about the laws and how fucked up they are in relation to this case. The community (and everyone else) should be pissed as fuck.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Am I to really believe the cops knocked repeatedly and loudly identified themselves as officers and dude's response was to get his gun and start an appartment shootout?